PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , Nov.11

denime
11-11-2008, 07:03 AM
Morning, we have some TFC news today :pbjtime:

Toronto FC gets OK to sign top player
MORGAN CAMPBELL

After presenting their 2009 business plan to the MLSE board of directors, Toronto FC brass officially have the green light to sign the club's first designated player.
But that doesn't mean they're going to do it.
After emerging from the day-long meeting, during which the MLSE board approved the soccer club's entire plan, TFC chief operating officer Tom Anselmi said the team still wasn't in a rush to acquire a designated player.
"We're being very cautious about it," he said. "It may or may not happen."...

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/534390)

FC set for star gazing
Board approves '09 plan

By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment Ltd. board of directors have given their stamp of approval to Toronto FC's quest for a designated player -- a marquee player that doesn't count against their salary cap.
Tom Anselmi, MLSEL's executive vice-president and chief operating officer, said yesterday that the team had all of its requests approved for the upcoming Major League Soccer season after a presentation to the board at the Air Canada Centre.
"We presented our plan for the 2009 season and they approved that plan," Anselmi said. "The board doesn't get into approving every little piece but they approved what we asked for and included in that was a plan to sign a DP."
He warned, however, that the decision is still a ways off. ...

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/11/11/7369516-sun.html)

Marshall stays in shape
Defender ready for World Cup action

Toronto FC defender Tyrone Marshall is training at BMO Field this week in preparation for Jamaica's World Cup Qualifying game against Canada in Kingston on Wednesday, November 19th. In order to advance to the next stage of qualifying, Jamaica needs to beat Canada and hope Mexico wins against Honduras. "It's definitely going to be very intense because Canada will be wanting to try and pull off an upset even though they've got nothing left to play for," said Marshall. "We have to make sure we take care of business and hope we get the right result in the Honduras v Mexico game. ...

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081110&content_id=202833&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

BuSaPuNk
11-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Morning D! Great to hear about the DP status. I was thinking about it all day yesterday. Great to see Anselmi can get things done. Wonder whatelse was in there plans and was talked about yesterday? Grass perhaps?

The Kingpin
11-11-2008, 07:14 AM
All posturing aside from Anslemi, as this MLSE non-committal garbage was expected.

But this is utterly scary: "One of the players Johnston had an eye on to fill the DP spot was 25-year-old Canadian international Iain Hume, a top striker in the League Championship with Barnsley."

Iain Hume as a DP!!?? That would be utterly ridiculous!! I think Mo and TFC are really going to botch this if this is what they feel could be a DP caliber player. Oh boy, this may be a long winter. Mo may send fans of this team into an uncontrollable tizzy...

Well it will be fun to watch anyway...

Fort York Redcoat
11-11-2008, 07:32 AM
All posturing aside from Anslemi, as this MLSE non-committal garbage was expected.

But this is utterly scary: "One of the players Johnston had an eye on to fill the DP spot was 25-year-old Canadian international Iain Hume, a top striker in the League Championship with Barnsley."

Iain Hume as a DP!!?? That would be utterly ridiculous!! I think Mo and TFC are really going to botch this if this is what they feel could be a DP caliber player. Oh boy, this may be a long winter. Mo may send fans of this team into an uncontrollable tizzy...

Yeah I think the Hume question was unfortunetly answered yesterday. I wanted him on the team when he was finished in England. Now I just want him to be ok.

The Kingpin
11-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Yeah I think the Hume question was unfortunetly answered yesterday. Iwanted him on the team when he was finished in England. Now I just want him to be ok.

This really has nothing to do with the severe head injury, which is tragic in its own right if you read the reports (not being protected by the official, etc.). Iain Hume healthy is not DP worthy in my opinion. I would love him on the squad, but I'm sorry, he just wouldn't be worth that expenditure. What TFC could truly benefit from is a great voice and leader on and off the pitch, someone who will drive the team. This I would pay big money for as success would immediately follow... In my humble opinion...

Oldtimer
11-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Iain Hume as a DP!!?? That would be utterly ridiculous!!

Iain Hume is exactly the type of player I would expect. Hume is a solid Canadian, and an upgrade from Barrett, Dichio, and last year's Colin Pieman Samuel.

canadian_bhoy
11-11-2008, 07:40 AM
No matter who TFC gets - if he can score 15-20 goals, I don't think anyone would care who the player is.

ensco
11-11-2008, 07:41 AM

I'd take a healthy younger player like Hume any day to a nearly done older player. Plus, I think the team needs to get back to the original idea, which is to be more Canadian.

You can agree or disagree, but calling the potential acquisition of a player of Hume's caliber "utterly scary" seems very off base to me. He's better than most of the players in MLS, like it or not.

Fort York Redcoat
11-11-2008, 07:42 AM
This really has nothing to do with the severe head injury, which is tragic in its own right if you read the reports (not being protected by the official, etc.). Iain Hume healthy is not DP worthy in my opinion. I would love him on the squad, but I'm sorry, he just wouldn't be worth that expenditure. What TFC could truly benefit from is a great voice and leader on and off the pitch, someone who will drive the team. This I would pay big money for as success would immediately follow... In my humble opinion...

Agree with the sentiment. I hope the point isn't moot and he gets better and we can debate it.

Iain Hume is exactly the type of player I would expect. Hume is a solid Canadian, and an upgrade from Barrett, Dichio, and last year's Colin Pieman Samuel.

Colin Samuel- 4 goals for St.Johnstone this season.

denime
11-11-2008, 07:57 AM

Someone like Beckham or some other retirement ready player like Ljungberg or Lopez?
I rather see under or 30 years old Canadian player as DP than washed up star ready to cash in one more time.

Heaving said that I think they should bring DeRO :canada:

Technorgasm
11-11-2008, 07:57 AM
"It may or may not happen"

ya ,thats just what we want to hear after a 35 point season.

Still, plenty of time to beef up the squad.

The Kingpin
11-11-2008, 08:10 AM
I'd take a healthy younger player like Hume any day to a nearly done older player. Plus, I think the team needs to get back to the original idea, which is to be more Canadian.

You can agree or disagree, but calling the potential acquisition of a player of Hume's caliber "utterly scary" seems very off base to me. He's better than most of the players in MLS, like it or not.

Let's be honest, I'd love a good-ol-Canadian boy here as this seems to be the sentiment anyway. But as C_B has eluded to, I don't care what nationality as long as he can score goals or masterfully help others do the same. The key point is... Hume has 2 Goals in 27 caps for Canada playing in CONCACAF and plays for a team that will be in a relegation battle all year and also was on a team that suck to division one last year. this is simply not the kind of CV you are looking for from a "DP WORTHY" player. Would I like him on TFC, yes; as a DP, no. This is my point....

In respect to this comment: "Someone like Beckham or some other retirement ready player like Ljungberg or Lopez?"

You don't need to be 30+ to be a vocal leader, you just need to have those attributes. I believe Barratt could be that style of player for us when he gets comfortable with the set up. But the more the merrier I say!!

Oblio2
11-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Beckham, Angel....Hume?
No.
Hope he's ok but if we are going for a DP..we should hope he really is a DP

Nuvinho
11-11-2008, 08:34 AM
One of the things the team is counting on is the maturing of some of the club's young players like Abdus Ibrahim, Marvell Wynne and Julius Jones into MLS all-stars

We got a NFL player to play soccer for us now......nice!!!!! I can't believe the Sun gets so much things wrong, at least they used spell check.

Lucky Strike
11-11-2008, 09:41 AM

:eek: As if! I called that a day or two ago saying that Hume might be a target for DP. Although I didn't think it too likely because of Barnsley paying £1.2 million to get him from Leicester.

I happen to think he'd be a very good player for us to pick up. He scored 11-12 goals last year for a poor team that got relegated to League One and was on pace this year to score 15 goals in the Championship (1 goal per 3 matches) for Barnsley who doesn't exactly have a high powered offence. He'd do well here.

deeznutz
11-11-2008, 12:22 PM
"It may or maynot happen" LOL I love that................

Oblio2
11-11-2008, 12:26 PM
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, who had sexual relations with me"

Stouffville_RPB
11-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Any word if grass was in the approved budget?

greatwhitenorf
11-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Ireland got over Cromwell. Maybe Cathal Kelly could get over his fixation with David Beckham.

I've tried to read today's bitter little rant but the budgie's gone and crapped over most of the article.

ccopela
11-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Ireland got over Cromwell. Maybe Cathal Kelly could get over his fixation with David Beckham.

I've tried to read today's bitter little rant but the budgie's gone and crapped over most of the article.

Which article were you reading? None of the articles posted were written by Cathal Kelly

AL-MO
11-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Let's be honest, I'd love a good-ol-Canadian boy here as this seems to be the sentiment anyway. But as C_B has eluded to, I don't care what nationality as long as he can score goals or masterfully help others do the same. The key point is... Hume has 2 Goals in 27 caps for Canada playing in CONCACAF and plays for a team that will be in a relegation battle all year and also was on a team that suck to division one last year. this is simply not the kind of CV you are looking for from a "DP WORTHY" player. Would I like him on TFC, yes; as a DP, no. This is my point....

In respect to this comment: "Someone like Beckham or some other retirement ready player like Ljungberg or Lopez?"

You don't need to be 30+ to be a vocal leader, you just need to have those attributes. I believe Barratt could be that style of player for us when he gets comfortable with the set up. But the more the merrier I say!!

I agree with Kingpin 100%...Hume is not the DP we should be looking for.

CretanBull
11-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Ireland got over Cromwell.

They did? Someone should tell the Irish ;)

rocker
11-11-2008, 09:41 PM
the sunshine girl has such an embarrassing haircut.. see pic 6 for a laugh!