PDA

View Full Version : Simeon Jackson lighting it up

jloome
11-10-2008, 06:43 PM
....at Gillingham in League Two now. He has 8 goals in 11 games this season and is far and away the Gills best. So how come he seems to rank so low over here? It was only two season ago that Rushden was letting him go for trials at Man City and Man U!

He scored more than 20 in a season in the conference, now he's showing it's not a fluke at League Two level. So why the hell didn't we sign this guy when he was in the conference and affordable!

Have we missed the boat on a contending Canadian striker?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2008, 06:54 PM
transfer fees and prob didnt want to come back to Canada yet

arsenal
11-10-2008, 06:56 PM
....at Gillingham in League Two now. He has 8 goals in 11 games this season and is far and away the Gills best. So how come he seems to rank so low over here? It was only two season ago that Rushden was letting him go for trials at Man City and Man U!

He scored more than 20 in a season in the conference, now he's showing it's not a fluke at League Two level. So why the hell didn't we sign this guy when he was in the conference and affordable!

Have we missed the boat on a contending Canadian striker?

Why the hell do you think he had any desire whatsoever to leave England and come to Toronto .... especially when he had interest from higher level clubs in England.

And how exactly was he affordable when he went for a $300k transger fee?

http://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/page/PressReleases/0,,10416~1230493,00.html (http://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/page/PressReleases/0,,10416%7E1230493,00.html)

edit Oss beat me to it :0

Dirk Diggler
11-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Why the hell do you think he had any desire whatsoever to leave England and come to Toronto .... especially when he had interest from higher level clubs in England.

And how exactly was he affordable when he went for a $300k transger fee?

http://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/page/PressReleases/0,,10416~1230493,00.html (http://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/page/PressReleases/0,,10416%7E1230493,00.html)

edit Oss beat me to it :0

I don't think its completely unreasonable to expect TFC to be able to sign a player from the Blue Square Premier (or whatever lowly league Rushden and Diamonds plays in) irrespective of how much "interest" he has garnered from "higher" league clubs. I'm absolutely certain most young and foreign players in England get a look see from the bigger clubs atleast once in their career.

arsenal
11-10-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't think its completely unreasonable to expect TFC to be able to sign a player from the Blue Square Premier (or whatever lowly league Rushden and Diamonds plays in) irrespective of how much "interest" he has garnered from "higher" league clubs. I'm absolutely certain most young and foreign players in England get a look see from the bigger clubs atleast once in their career.

He went for a $300k Cdn transfer fee. It is completely unreasonable to assume that MLS would ever even consider paying a transfer fee of that amount under the current structure. They are not willing to allow teams to pay anywhere close to that for established players let alone an unknown commodity.

J .
11-10-2008, 07:22 PM
I hope he stays over there and develops into as much as World Class player as he can and then leads us to the 2014 WC...

GuelphStorm2007
11-10-2008, 07:27 PM
I also hopw he stays across the pond. I think he can develop better, and probably play against better competion down the road. He is only 20.

jloome
11-10-2008, 07:43 PM
He went for a $300k Cdn transfer fee. It is completely unreasonable to assume that MLS would ever even consider paying a transfer fee of that amount under the current structure. They are not willing to allow teams to pay anywhere close to that for established players let alone an unknown commodity.

A) He wasn't unknown. He was on our u-20 team and had trialled at premiership clubs.

B) Where are you getting that $300,000 is out of the question for a transfer fee? We just got something like $600,000 in allocation money from the Edu deal (which can be used for transfers) and the fact that the league doesn't discuss what it pays -- and is rumoured to be tightfisted, ala Mac Kandji -- doesn't actually amount to evidence that they wouldn't pay it for a good young player.

Oh, and C) League Two standards is generally below MLS. Conference, where he was available, is about the same as USL. So it would hardly have been going to a league of a lower standard to come to MLS. In fact, he'd still arguably be moving up several notches if he came now.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2008, 07:58 PM
i still think the allure of playing in europe (regardless of the league or the talent in the league, like people going to Austria or Norway) would have held him back (especially couple with the transfer fee). I wouldnt doubt that we see him in the future tho

Beach_Red
11-10-2008, 08:01 PM
B) Where are you getting that $300,000 is out of the question for a transfer fee? We just got something like $600,000 in allocation money from the Edu deal (which can be used for transfers) and the fact that the league doesn't discuss what it pays -- and is rumoured to be tightfisted, ala Mac Kandji -- doesn't actually amount to evidence that they wouldn't pay it for a good young player.

Someday, someday.

We got $500,000 in the Edu deal and the league gets 1/3 of that.

The league turned down a transfer fee application this past summer - I think it was Dallas trying to pay $200,000.

Someone has said that the CBA with the players runs out in 2009 and I hope the salary cap and the rest of this stuff goes up as much as the expansion fees did since TFC $3 million to what is it they're asking for now, $40 million?

Keegan
11-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Jackson would have been great here. He is a lot better than Johann Smith who seems to have kicked off here.

Blizzard
11-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Someday, someday.

We got $500,000 in the Edu deal and the league gets 1/3 of that.

The league turned down a transfer fee application this past summer - I think it was Dallas trying to pay $200,000.

Someone has said that the CBA with the players runs out in 2009 and I hope the salary cap and the rest of this stuff goes up as much as the expansion fees did since TFC $3 million to what is it they're asking for now, $40 million?

To clarify, the league gets one third of the $5 million which was the actual amount received for Edu. TFC can have the remaining two thirds but only
$500k goes towards the salary cap. The rest must be used for infrastructure improvements and must be approved by the league.

That said, the league does not like to spend major money on transfers as was noted above.

That said, if I'm Simeon Jackson, why the hell do I want to go to Toronto when he has such great potential for big money and a big career in the UK!

If he fails, we can have him in 5 years (like Rohan). If he does reasonably well with a bigger club, maybe we see him in 10. If he does really well, he'll retire over there like Pesch!

Wooster_TFC
11-11-2008, 10:08 AM
To clarify, the league gets one third of the $5 million which was the actual amount received for Edu. TFC can have the remaining two thirds but only
$500k goes towards the salary cap. The rest must be used for infrastructure improvements and must be approved by the league.

That said, the league does not like to spend major money on transfers as was noted above.

That said, if I'm Simeon Jackson, why the hell do I want to go to Toronto when he has such great potential for big money and a big career in the UK!

If he fails, we can have him in 5 years (like Rohan). If he does reasonably well with a bigger club, maybe we see him in 10. If he does really well, he'll retire over there like Pesch!

On top of that, the money isn't available until next year's salary cap/transfer fees.

Beach_Red
11-11-2008, 10:31 AM

Ha, I knew that, I just still can't believe it :o.

The league is certainly heading towards the day when it will make transfer payments - or really, the league is heading towards giving teams more autonomy to make those decisions. These new owners coming into the league with big-time sports experience are going to change things pretty quickly. Money always changes things.

So, someday soon a guy like Jackson won't be out of the question at this stage in his career.