PDA

View Full Version : Future Shop Contest Scam

torfchamilton
11-10-2008, 03:28 PM
I posted last week that we had made the finals of the future shop contest. We have now been notified that we have been disqualified because they have told us in not so many words that we have too many votes too quickly. Now my son and my friend's son are in the video.

What they don't realie is that I have 400 employees that work for me and my friend is a highschool teacher where he has told everyone in his school to vote. This is only a quarter of the people that we have contacted. They also blocked our video from being voted on 2 separate occasions by blocking the direct link to vote.:mad:

So this is the official email from Future Shop disqualifying us.

Thank you for entering the Show Your FS video contest. The contest judges have discussed your contest entry and, in accordance with the rules of the contest, the judges have disqualified your entry from further participation in the contest. Please refer to section 27 and 28 of the rules and regulations at www.futureshop.com/showyourfs (outbind://2/www.futureshop.com/showyourfs).

Thank you,

Eryne Ordel

Future Shop - SR Promotions Planner

8800 Glenlyon Parkway, Burnaby, BC V5J 5K3

T: (604) 456-8201 | F:(604) 453-8109 | eordel@futureshop.com (javascript:top.opencompose('eordel@futureshop.com ','','','')) woo | communication | significance | adaptability | command

Section 27 and 28 are:

Decisions of Contest Judges in respect of any aspect of the Contest, including the appropriateness of video entries, are final and binding on all entrants.
Participation in the Contest constitutes acceptance and agreement to these Contest Rules.

flatpicker
11-10-2008, 03:31 PM
that's horseshit!

sorry to hear about that...

TheHollister
11-10-2008, 03:33 PM
So... you were disqualified because too many people liked your video? How the hell do they determine a winner then? :noidea:

SLBuu
11-10-2008, 03:35 PM
WTF???

I call BS!

I would be i(fuckin)rate. i'd go over to the future shop and accidentaly trip over a loose cord and knock over a $2,000 tv. but thats just me.

Gobi
11-10-2008, 03:47 PM
That's total crap.

Sorry to hear it.

Wagner
11-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Send them the link to this page....on the Biggest soccer site in Canada....and let them know about the negative publicity they're getting...see if they'll change their tune.

It's not your fault that you're well connected and popular.

Toronto_Bhoy
11-10-2008, 03:54 PM
It's official…everyone to Best Buy!

GingerNinja
11-10-2008, 04:04 PM
It's official…everyone to Best Buy!

They are owned by the same company.
Boycott them both!!!

Sonny Cheeba
11-10-2008, 04:04 PM
cunts. that's a really shitty thing to do.

SLBuu
11-10-2008, 04:06 PM
there phone number is right ther in the email.

CALL THEM!! and at the very least get a real reason for the disqualification.

Bobo
11-10-2008, 04:06 PM
They probably already had someone to win, you were an unwanted surprise. I can't see the logic in disqualifying you for getting votes. Do they plan on giving the person with the least amount of votes the prize? Or simply disqualifying everyone ahead of a friend/relative? Joke of a contest. I hope you do some serious ball breaking.

Stencils
11-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Shinannigans!

How much you want to bet they disqualify everyone and keep the tickets? :P

GingerNinja
11-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Shinannigans!

How much you want to bet they disqualify everyone and keep the tickets? :P

I was thinking the same thing, they just want the tix for themselves.

Detroit_TFC
11-10-2008, 04:10 PM
While there probably isn't way around the blanket "whatever we do is ok" clauses, having an attorney threaten a lawsuit (with the attendant bad publicity) may cause a settlement, and more importantly, may dissuade them from doing bogus contests in the future.

olegunnar
11-10-2008, 04:13 PM
They are owned by the same company.
Boycott them both!!!
That's right.

Future Shop stores operate as a division of Burnaby-based Best Buy Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE:BBY).

FluSH
11-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Where can we send massive emails of complaint to let them know that indeed 400 people voted?

I suggest you also start a Facebook page... I'm sure they will love the bad publicity from this!

flatpicker
11-10-2008, 04:15 PM
^ Facebook page... good call!

Afra
11-10-2008, 04:16 PM
What if everyone who voted now votes for all of the other entries - how many people could we disqualify? Or is a vote linked to an IP address?

RedRum
11-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Complete BS. What does Future Shop care that you had too many votes? Bottom line is everyone that went to that page to vote all got hit with FS advertising (the whole point of them having this contest).

Everyone: let's bombard this cunt with email and tell him he best be fixin' this. Dunno about you guys, but seeing a fellow RPBs' kids get screwed like this pisses me off!

J .
11-10-2008, 04:24 PM
what a cunty thing to do

The Kingpin
11-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi Guys,
You can do better than blind insults, you can do some simple research and get some consultation from the CMA: See Link: http://www.the-cma.org/?WCE=C=47%7CK=225849

tfc_4_ever
11-10-2008, 04:36 PM
complete utter horse shit

GingerNinja
11-10-2008, 04:38 PM
What if everyone who voted now votes for all of the other entries - how many people could we disqualify? Or is a vote linked to an IP address?

I like the way you think!
Lets get everyone disqualified!

The Kingpin
11-10-2008, 04:43 PM
OK, do you want to win? If you perform the tasks all of you are suggesting you will easily have no case, if you refer to the CMA and prove your case they can be fined. What would you prefer.

Roogsy
11-10-2008, 04:51 PM
BS

That's how all these contests are won. They don't think that they other entries are doing the very same thing? It just so happens you have the best TFC fans in Toronto behind you.

Jerks. No wonder I don't buy shit from FS.

Roogsy
11-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi Guys,
You can do better than blind insults, you can do some simple research and get some consultation from the CMA: See Link: http://www.the-cma.org/?WCE=C=47%7CK=225849

LOL!

That is a toothless organization if I ever saw one.

The Kingpin
11-10-2008, 05:02 PM
LOL!

That is a toothless organization if I ever saw one.

LOL!! (First time I have ever written that I think - other than to mock nascar), why do you say this? All of the ads that are filtered for your gentle souls are controlled by them. Also, I said research, contact and consult so you can know your rights. In essence be educated on your rights instead of calling them c&%$ and writing angry letters. If someone was willing to complain here, then I thought they may want to know a way to actually claim their winnings. Maybe it was just to complain...

OK; Bad people! I can't believe they are so bad and unscrupulous... Ahhh, I feel better... :)

Roogsy
11-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Hey...I am not doggin' the idea of sending hundreds of complaints to the CMA. But I highly doubt the CMA is on the consumer's side as much as they are just covering their own ass. It doesn't strike me as a fearsome regulatory body compared to other ones out there, like the IDA or the SEC.

canadian_bhoy
11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
If future shop stated in the rules that they had the right to disqualify any one they see fit then how can you complain?

besides - all they have to do is say "based on the number of votes coming in, especially from the same I.P. we determined that there was some sort of tampering going on and disqualified the contestant".

Seems pretty solid to me.

torfchamilton
11-10-2008, 05:22 PM
My wife called the number and really caught them by surprise. At first she said we were disqualified, but couldn't tell us over the phone the reason. She then said that she could email us the reason. We said please do so and then she changed her tune again and said that she didn't know the reason and would have to contact legal to find out the reason.

There have been some nasty emails from the guy in 2nd complaining about mystery votes on the usector site. If the guy wants to win that way, that's fine

TheRenter
11-10-2008, 05:31 PM
They probably already had someone to win, you were an unwanted surprise. I can't see the logic in disqualifying you for getting votes. Do they plan on giving the person with the least amount of votes the prize? Or simply disqualifying everyone ahead of a friend/relative? Joke of a contest. I hope you do some serious ball breaking.

unfortunately I have personally had experience w/ this whereby the local jack@sstors was once running a trip to mexico w/ the winners already predetermined...this sort of bs happens a lot more than maybe some people think as it really does have nepotism, as well as many shades of favouritism, written all over it.....i too hope you get to the bottom of it and crack some skulls...so to speak;)....good luck my friend

JonO
11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
^^^ That's certainly a possibility. Another possibility is that they really do think that there is voter fixing going on. I would follow up on it with their legal department. They have the right to come to their decision, but surely you have a right to represent your position before they make that decision.

The Kingpin
11-10-2008, 05:47 PM
If future shop stated in the rules that they had the right to disqualify any one they see fit then how can you complain?

besides - all they have to do is say "based on the number of votes coming in, especially from the same I.P. we determined that there was some sort of tampering going on and disqualified the contestant".

Seems pretty solid to me.

That's like saying you are not responsible for injury or stolen goods. It's not worth the paper it's written on. I have written promotion laws and they are generally created to protect against fraud and bad PR. In this case you can prove that it was a supporters club that was voting, etc.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like the winner is overly concerned, I was just trying to help. I was involved with a promotion where it was in question whether a person legitimately won a Mustang... It was initially rejected and then the "winner" presented their case to the CMA and then the CMA educated them and they presented the case to the client and received their prize. I'm not ALWAYS talking out of my ass. So Roogsy, it was about getting educated and knowing the sources, though I understand your point, these organisations can take you further than calling people names. :)

RedRum
11-10-2008, 05:58 PM
torfchamilton I have emailed on your behalf.

torfchamilton
11-10-2008, 06:30 PM
I am waiting to hear back with their explanation before we proceed, kingpin.

jloome
11-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Well torfchamilton, I write for the Sun chain and have occasion to pop the odd column in the paper. There's a good cautionary message in here with respect to reliance of on-line voting on anything, since your massive vote push is probably prompting Future Shop to disqualify you for using scripts.

Unfortunately, they're just wrong in this case. But the fact that it happens so often now -- prompting that perspective in the first place -- suggests they need to police the system, or sometimes legitimate entrants will be disqualified.

Drop me a PM if you're interested in chatting about it.

torfchamilton
11-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Well torfchamilton, I write for the Sun chain and have occasion to pop the odd column in the paper. There's a good cautionary message in here with respect to reliance of on-line voting on anything, since your massive vote push is probably prompting Future Shop to disqualify you for using scripts.

Unfortunately, they're just wrong in this case. But the fact that it happens so often now -- prompting that perspective in the first place -- suggests they need to police the system, or sometimes legitimate entrants will be disqualified.

Drop me a PM if you're interested in chatting about it.

PM sent

Afra
11-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I would love to hear what the legal dept comes back with - for sure that would be the best to work off of. All of the people that voted did so from different IP addresses - unless 50 people went to an internet cafe or something.

torfchamilton
11-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I would love to hear what the legal dept comes back with - for sure that would be the best to work off of. All of the people that voted did so from different IP addresses - unless 50 people went to an internet cafe or something.

Well, I think the problem is all the votes coming from my friend's school. He is a highschool teacher and the school has 1500 students. They have been voting from the computer lab which I am sure has the same IP address.

We will see if they send a response as promised, but the contest closes on the 14th.

Primavera
11-11-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm willing to risk being bombarded here: while I agree with the sentiment of many here that Future Shop is playing pretty fast and easy with the contest, it's also worth noting that getting a school of 1500 to vote for one video (...or all of the RPB b-board users...) is contrary to the spirit of the contest as well: "Vote for your favourite fan video ...." It's highly doubtful that all of the people who voted for the video in question bothered to watch even one additional fan video...and it's kinda hard to pick a "favourite" if you haven't compared one to any of the others.

While an automated script wasn't used in this case, the final result was, in effect, the same. (jloome, if you do end up writing a column on this is might be interesting to address this type of vote-rigging as part of your writing.)

Just a thought before we get full of righteous indignation over what Future Shop is doing.

(torfchamilton - I don't know you and ^^^ isn't meant to be a personal attack and I hope it isn't taken as such.)

JonO
11-11-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm willing to risk being bombarded here: while I agree with the sentiment of many here that Future Shop is playing pretty fast and easy with the contest, it's also worth noting that getting a school of 1500 to vote for one video (...or all of the RPB b-board users...) is contrary to the spirit of the contest as well: "Vote for your favourite fan video ...." It's highly doubtful that all of the people who voted for the video in question bothered to watch even one additional fan video...and it's kinda hard to pick a "favourite" if you haven't compared one to any of the others.

While an automated script wasn't used in this case, the final result was, in effect, the same. (jloome, if you do end up writing a column on this is might be interesting to address this type of vote-rigging as part of your writing.)

Just a thought before we get full of righteous indignation over what Future Shop is doing.

(torfchamilton - I don't know you and ^^^ isn't meant to be a personal attack and I hope it isn't taken as such.)
From what I understand - that is their best legal basis for disqualifying your video.

Razor
11-11-2008, 02:26 PM

ahhhh...but he WAS caught using a script and he knows it. hence why his video got disqualified.

don't be so quick to make assumptions.

torfchamilton
11-11-2008, 02:39 PM
You are totally wrong on the fact about a script. No scripts were used. If that is the basis for the disqualification, that is totally false. They also blocked people from directly voting on 2 separate occasions. There is NO WAY i produced a script nor my friend!! That is totally a bunch of BS

torfchamilton
11-11-2008, 02:45 PM

No attack taken, but this is no different than the other guy who is now leading. He posted on the Usector site to vote for his video and became a member of the site the same day. So he was looking for votes from there. Perhaps we have a greater network and should not be penalized for it.

Again I would like to reiterate that NO scripts were used.

DOMIN8R
11-11-2008, 03:02 PM
So far, and after reading this thread, I dislike and will avoid shopping at Future Shop and eating at or recommending Jack ASStors - not to mention speak badly of to all I know.

Are there any other companies I can inflict my personal brand of vigilante consumer justice on?

joel
11-11-2008, 03:04 PM
I agree that its against the spirit of the competition, and that's why you were disqualified. They want votes from random FS users. If you get people to vote for you because you know them, and it's not the best video, how is that fair?

How would you feel if after all your work, another video by someone that knows more people than you wins, and it's obviously a terrible video? I think you would be complaining that the vote was rigged too.

You are rigging the vote dude!

olegunnar
11-11-2008, 03:26 PM
All arguments about "the spirit of the competition" and "scripts" aside.

I'd bet an awful lot of money there was a "click here if you agree with the terms and conditions" somewhere, and that click gets them off the hook for pretty much anything.

So whether or not Future Shop was wrong, is irrelevant, since Torfchamilton had to agree to let future shop do whatever they'd like, just to get into the competition.

So there's no legal leg to stand on if one were to complain, the only hope would be to try and appeal to their dislike of bad publicity.

Roogsy
11-11-2008, 03:31 PM
I am not getting how people are claiming he did anything wrong.

He put up a video and then asked his friends and contacts to vote for it. How is that either a) using scripts or b) contrary to the spirit of the contest. EVERYBODY in the contest is doing that. You think these people put up a video and then told nobody about it??? It just so happens our fella happens to have at his resource a larger group he can tap. And for that he is disqualified? I have a problem with this...

RedRum
11-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm surprised (not) at the lack of unity in this group over something so minute and trivial. Who cares if the vote was (allegedly) rigged. We always beat the crap out of online polls and are proud of ourselves for doing it.

Can't we back a guy up just because he is RPB? Like torfchamilton wrote, the guy who is next in line to win went begging for votes on the u-sector site. Someone has to win, why not one of our own?

AL-MO
11-11-2008, 03:56 PM
I am not getting how people are claiming he did anything wrong.

He put up a video and then asked his friends and contacts to vote for it. How is that either a) using scripts or b) contrary to the spirit of the contest. EVERYBODY in the contest is doing that. You think these people put up a video and then told nobody about it??? It just so happens our fella happens to have at his resource a larger group he can tap. And for that he is disqualified? I have a problem with this...

I agree Roogsy...what a load of shit.

AL-MO
11-11-2008, 03:59 PM
I agree that its against the spirit of the competition, and that's why you were disqualified. They want votes from random FS users. If you get people to vote for you because you know them, and it's not the best video, how is that fair?

How would you feel if after all your work, another video by someone that knows more people than you wins, and it's obviously a terrible video? I think you would be complaining that the vote was rigged too.

Dude, life is not fair. Deal with it.

The Kingpin
11-11-2008, 04:10 PM
OK, so if I'm selling Girl Guide cookies and there is a prize for the most sold and my parents take them to work and sell a ton, is that against the spirit of the Girl Guides? The reason for selling cookies is to raise funds to help the organisation... The reason for this promotion is to gain exposure for the brand, and no other. This is not an altruistic endeavour... I can't believe what I've been reading here.

flatpicker
11-11-2008, 04:11 PM
^ well said... there is a reason why you are the Kingpin!

AL-MO
11-11-2008, 04:16 PM
OK, so if I'm selling Girl Guide cookies and there is a prize for the most sold and my parents take them to work and sell a ton, is that against the spirit of the Girl Guides? The reason for selling cookies is to raise funds to help the organisation... The reason for this promotion is to gain exposure for the brand, and no other. This is not an altruistic endeavour... I can't believe what I've been reading here.

I am going to have to agree with the KingPin...Stop being so righteous about this!

FluSH
11-11-2008, 07:20 PM
This is going to be one loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong off season.

Daveisonfire
11-11-2008, 07:26 PM
So far, and after reading this thread, I dislike and will avoid shopping at Future Shop and eating at or recommending Jack ASStors - not to mention speak badly of to all I know.

Are there any other companies I can inflict my personal brand of vigilante consumer justice on?

Montanas

They didn't bother telling me that there weren't any Yorkshire puddings left and tried to serve me my dinner anyways! :eek:

jloome
11-11-2008, 07:31 PM

The whole point of having a vote is for one party to get as many votes as possible, which is what TFChamilton did. "Rigging" implies cheating, and you can't "rig" something if all the voters followed the rules, dude.

In fact, if the point was to -- as you suggest -- garner an expression of what the best video is, you would need some baseline acceptance or expertise among the voters to detemine what constitutes "good," because there is no such thaing as "obviously terrible" -- it's an entirely subjective position. As someone who has worked in media for years I've seen film and video that experts considered unusable become a hit with thousands, or even Millions.

In fact, via viral video, where people effectively "vote" by mailing links to each other, it happens every day. By your argument, youtube is doing the world of film a terrible disservice.

Roogsy
11-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Considering I can get booty videos on youtube for free...I am offended at the inference that youtube is anything but a godsend! :D

Primavera
11-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Again I would like to reiterate that NO scripts were used.

You are probably responding to somebody else's post, but just to make it explicit: I clearly stated in my post that you did not use an automated script.

If it is indeed true that a U-Sector member is member by employing the same tactics then his/her video should also be pulled.

OK, so if I'm selling Girl Guide cookies and there is a prize for the most sold and my parents take them to work and sell a ton, is that against the spirit of the Girl Guides?

A ridiculous comparison. Like you, I can't believe what I'm reading in some of these posts.

...Stop being so righteous about this!

Well, it's clear that people on both sides of this issue can offer the same suggestion to either side.

Primavera
11-11-2008, 08:05 PM
In fact, if the point was to -- as you suggest -- garner an expression of what the best video is,

Future Shop, at least, isn't suggesting this and the focus should be on what Future Shop posted. I pulled a quotation from the contest webpage which asked people to vote for their "favourite". FutureShop is being pretty clear.

you would need some baseline acceptance or expertise among the voters to detemine what constitutes "good,"

Perhaps if you're voting for the "best video". Again, the contest is asking people to vote for their favourite. A comparison between at least two is needed before a favourite can be determined.

Listen, this is (needlessly) turning into a pissing match. My original point was that people here would do well to temper their disgust for Future Shop in light of how the votes were generated. A point which I stand by.

Again, no harm to torfchamilton - I would have probably have done the same thing had I access to his resources.

torfchamilton
11-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Nothing new to add other than they told us they would email/call us with the reason why we were disqualified. They have not called or emailed us anything and are avoiding our calls. The other guy in the contest has pleaded once again on the Usector site to vote for his video. Pretty much what we did!!!!

Thanks to all that voted and those that emailed the person in charge as well as the PMs offering some advice.

Not sure if anyone has watched the show Live at 5.30 on CH with Mark Hebscher and Donna Skelly. Well, they discuss different topics and it just happens that Donna Skelly is one of my neighbours and I might just knock on her door.

joel
11-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Girl Guides - non-profit
FS - Profit

It's a stupid example with completely different motivations.

Dude, life is not fair. Deal with it.

haha that's rich, you say life isn't fair to my argument when you are defending someone saying life isn't fair.

you agree to the rules of the competition by entering them. take them to court you will lose. just sayin'.

DOMIN8R
11-13-2008, 04:24 PM
It is unfortunate that Future Shop has chosen to not give you the curtesy of a proper explanation.

RedRum
11-13-2008, 04:48 PM
It is unfortunate that Future Shop has chosen to not give you the curtesy of a proper explanation.

No kidding. Not surprisingly I have not had a reply to my email as well.

Mrs. Workie
11-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Umm, was this a TFC contest that ran through Future Shop?

Just wondering why this thread is in this section?

Roogsy
11-13-2008, 04:50 PM
^ Travis?

I thought you were travelling! :D

torfchamilton
11-13-2008, 04:55 PM
yes a future shop contest to win tfc tickets. You had to show your "football spirit"

Mrs. Workie
11-13-2008, 06:10 PM
^ Travis?

I thought you were travelling! :D

I'm picking up the slack while he's gone :D

yes a future shop contest to win tfc tickets. You had to show your "football spirit"

Thanks for Clarifying

FluSH
11-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Nothing new to add other than they told us they would email/call us with the reason why we were disqualified. They have not called or emailed us anything and are avoiding our calls. The other guy in the contest has pleaded once again on the Usector site to vote for his video. Pretty much what we did!!!!

Thanks to all that voted and those that emailed the person in charge as well as the PMs offering some advice.

Not sure if anyone has watched the show Live at 5.30 on CH with Mark Hebscher and Donna Skelly. Well, they discuss different topics and it just happens that Donna Skelly is one of my neighbours and I might just knock on her door.

The sad thing is that your video -at least to me- is the best one out of all of them presented!!! and I said this before on the private section before I knew you were an RPB.

AL-MO
11-13-2008, 07:59 PM
haha that's rich, you say life isn't fair to my argument when you are defending someone saying life isn't fair.

you agree to the rules of the competition by entering them. take them to court you will lose. just sayin'.

You were the one saying that its not 'fair' that he went and and tried to get votes for his video. As if anyone else wouldn't do the same! (if they didn't they are just stupid) The guy leading the contest advertised on the U-Sector board! Was I defending him? Maybe, but the whole thing is a load of horse shit. Disqualifying an entry in a contest decided by votes because he got too many? Sounds a bit backwards if you ask me.

And to suggest he is somehow 'rigging' the vote is ridiculous. He realized it was a popularity contest, so he went about it accordingly.

Will he win if he went to court? no. And he is going to have to deal with it.

jloome
11-13-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure anyone is suggesting this. I pulled a quotation from the contest webpage which asked people to vote for their "favourite". FutureShop is being pretty clear.

Perhaps if you're voting for the "best video". Again, the contest is asking people to vote for their favourite. A comparison between at least two is needed before a favourite can be determined.

Listen, this is (needlessly) turning into a pissing match. My original point was that people here would do well to temper their disgust for Future Shop in light of how the votes were generated. A point which I stand by.

Again, no harm to torfchamilton - I would have probably have done the same thing had I access to his resources.

I think you're missing the point. Unless "favourite" IS defined somehow as "the video they think is best", it's a meaningless designation. Your favourite is whichever one you pick.

And if they do define favourite as "the video they think is best," it's enitrely subjective. So either way, your position makes no logical sense.

AL-MO
11-13-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm not sure anyone is suggesting this. I pulled a quotation from the contest webpage which asked people to vote for their "favourite". FutureShop is being pretty clear.

I could care less who wins at this point......

*POST EDITED*

Primavera
11-13-2008, 09:38 PM
You were attempting to do the same. You just went to the U-Sector messageboard instead of the RPB one.

You are mistaken if you think I am the guy from U-Sector that torfchamilton is talking about.

AL-MO
11-13-2008, 09:39 PM
You are mistaken if you think I am the guy from U-Sector that torfchamilton is talking about.

Alright I take that back then.

Primavera
11-13-2008, 10:04 PM
I think you're missing the point. Unless "favourite" IS defined somehow as "the video they think is best", it's a meaningless designation. Your favourite is whichever one you pick.

I think it's safe to assume that when one selects a "favourite" that they are indeed selecting something "they think is best." The fact that you use the word "best" - a comparative adjective in this context - proves my point exactly.

Further, if you are "pick[ing]" something you are making a choice between at least two options.

...it's enitrely subjective.
No argument there. The fact that it's subjective doesn't take away from my point that video 'A' must be compared to at least one other video in order to declare it the best or even the favourite.

Both designations - favourite and best - require some sort of comparison and in this case it's irrelevant if the opinions derived from the comparison are subjective.

So either way, your position makes no logical sense.
Ok, Aristotle, if you say so. ;)

torfchamilton
11-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Well I had some from someone on this board with them being able to speak to them. They were supposed to contact us , but that has not happened. THanks for your help, and as I said the tickets are long gone, but it's the principle when they say that they will contact us.

Damn, just had my email notification go off with a Future Shop ad!! You know what they can do with their ad!!!

egoodwin
11-14-2008, 05:52 PM
at least we know a supporter who is part of one of the main supporter groups won

torfchamilton
11-14-2008, 05:58 PM
at least we know a supporter who is part of one of the main supporter groups won

Not sure if he is part of a group as he became a member of their messageboard the day he posted for everyone to vote. He also sent a nasty email to my friend whose son is in the video with my son. i would not be surprised if he is the reason why we have been disqaulified. He claimed in the email to my friend that we were cheating and also made reference on the Usector site about mysterious votes we would receive. That is the clean version of the email!!

SLBuu
11-14-2008, 06:01 PM
^^ Post It..... Post The Email

egoodwin
11-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Not sure if he is part of a group as he became a member of their messageboard the day he posted for everyone to vote. He also sent a nasty email to my friend whose son is in the video with my son. i would not be surprised if he is the reason why we have been disqaulified. He claimed in the email to my friend that we were cheating and also made reference on the Usector site about mysterious votes we would receive. That is the clean version of the email!!
actually the winner, if we are talking about the same contest/person (http://memelabs.com/showyourfs/ "smallest TFC fan"), is a member of the NEE, and has been registered on the NEE board since January

sorry to hear what happened to you though..

torfchamilton
11-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Sorry I thought you were referring to Usector, my mistake!!

Just got an email from Future Shop, we have a combined 2000 peopel that work in our offices. This is a bunch of bs b/c they are all different people and I wouldn't be surprised if everyone is disqualified and the person with 4 votes wins.

We write regarding your recent correspondence about your participation
in the TFC "Show your fs" online video contest. Our investigation of the
voting activity for your entry; Contest entry demonstrates that you have
violated the rules and regulations of the Contest, which is why you have
been disqualified from the Contest. Specifically, paragraph 3 of the
Contest rules and regulations states "[p]articipants making multiple
entries will be disqualified." Future Shop endeavors to ensure that
any contests it runs are conducted fairly and according to the rules and
regulations and does disqualify contest participants who violate the
applicable contest rules and regulations. By participating in the
Contest, you agreed to abide by the rules and regulations of the
Contest. It is our position that you have not done so.
We trust that this letter adequately sets out our position regarding
your disqualification and we further confirm that the judges' decision
regarding your participation in the Contest is final and will not be
reversed.

Eryne Ordel
T: (604) 456-8201 | F:(604) 453-8109 | eordel@futureshop.com (javascript:top.opencompose('eordel@futureshop.com ','','',''))

Lucky Strike
11-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Sorry I thought you were referring to Usector, my mistake!!

Just got an email from Future Shop, we have a combined 2000 peopel that work in our offices. This is a bunch of bs b/c they are all different people and I wouldn't be surprised if everyone is disqualified and the person with 4 votes wins.

We write regarding your recent correspondence about your participation
in the TFC "Show your fs" online video contest. Our investigation of the
voting activity for your entry; Contest entry demonstrates that you have
violated the rules and regulations of the Contest, which is why you have
been disqualified from the Contest. Specifically, paragraph 3 of the
Contest rules and regulations states "[p]articipants making multiple
entries will be disqualified." Future Shop endeavors to ensure that
any contests it runs are conducted fairly and according to the rules and
regulations and does disqualify contest participants who violate the
applicable contest rules and regulations. By participating in the
Contest, you agreed to abide by the rules and regulations of the
Contest. It is our position that you have not done so.
We trust that this letter adequately sets out our position regarding
your disqualification and we further confirm that the judges' decision
regarding your participation in the Contest is final and will not be
reversed.

Eryne Ordel
T: (604) 456-8201 | F:(604) 453-8109 | eordel@futureshop.com (http://javascript<b></b>:top.opencompose('eordel@futureshop.com','','','') )

Unacceptable.

Basically, they told you they have disqualified you "because". It's an answer only a 5 year-old would give.

egoodwin
11-14-2008, 06:33 PM
that's ridiculous, how can they assume you were running a bot. What is stopping someone who is opposition to you from using a voting bot on your entry as a form of sabotage...

eitherway, it doesn't seem like a fight you can win... probably best if you do it again next time, to have people vote from their home computer

The Kingpin
11-14-2008, 07:01 PM
that's ridiculous, how can they assume you were running a bot. What is stopping someone who is opposition to you from using a voting bot on your entry as a form of sabotage...

eitherway, it doesn't seem like a fight you can win... probably best if you do it again next time, to have people vote from their home computer

You can win this fight if you desire. But if Roogsy will allow me, I can explain how. I am in some way the least informed promotions specialist alive, so take everything I say with a grain of salt... But I leave it to you to decide whether I can be of assistance... Cheers!

Roogsy
11-14-2008, 07:54 PM
You have my permission! :D

I will now retreat to my castle to have my grey poupon.