PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow it all goes down!

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
11-09-2008, 05:25 PM
As Many of you already know TOMORROW November 10th The MLSE board of Directors will vote on whether to allocate the cash for 1 or 2 dp's!!!

What do you think they will vote??!!!:eek::noidea::eek:

Ossington Mental Youth
11-09-2008, 06:10 PM
we cant have 2 dps.
itll be approval for one or both dp candidates (unless this is what you meant)

either way im excited for the rumors to start

London
11-09-2008, 06:27 PM
we cant have 2 dps.
itll be approval for one or both dp candidates (unless this is what you meant)

either way im excited for the rumors to start

Why cant we trade for a second DP spot? or did they change the rule?

alexintoronto
11-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Is it happening at the ACC? Maybe I'll stop by :)

Stouffville_RPB
11-09-2008, 06:51 PM
$400,000 of the dp salary counts towards the cap. having 2 dp's would mean $800,000 of a $2million cap is going towards 2 players. Don't think that would be the way to go.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Why cant we trade for a second DP spot? or did they change the rule?

we can but

$400,000 of the dp salary counts towards the cap. having 2 dp's would mean $800,000 of a $2million cap is going towards 2 players. Don't think that would be the way to go.

exactly.
look how LA turned out.

Red CB Toronto
11-09-2008, 07:45 PM
From what I remember a second DP counts for $350,000 against the cap, I wonder if the MLSE board is going to approve a number and let Mo do the rest or will Mo have to get approval each time based on the player he does want to sign as a DP.

Nuvinho
11-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Its the same for every MLSE franchise. The TFC Front Office will present a budget, which will include money for a DP, but there will be other issues on the table.

I'm sure the BOD will need explaination on how the $500K works from the Mo Edu transfer. As well, what needs to be done with the other money in terms of new practice facility, etc.

Oldtimer
11-09-2008, 08:29 PM
The two players that Mo's had his eye on probably represents two possible scenarios.

(1) Scenario #1 (preferred scenario by Carver): MLSE approves a big DP budget. TFC can hire someone at, say, a DeGuzman level. This could be anywhere up to a couple of million.

(2) Scenario #2 (the most likely scenario): MLSE approves a small DP budget. TFC can top up the salary of a player like DeRo. Maximum DP budget a hundred thousand or so.

A third scenario is possible:

(3) Scenario #3: MLSE denies the request for a DP. This is much less likely, as the board will be concerned about the long-term marketability of the franchise, and Carver and Mo will really be pushing for one.

What won't be happening is a huge DP budget, to hire say a Del Piero. That can only be justified on the basis of off the pitch commercial appeal, MLSE won't want to take that kind of risk.

Oldtimer
11-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Its the same for every MLSE franchise. The TFC Front Office will present a budget, which will include money for a DP, but there will be other issues on the table.

I'm sure the BOD will need explaination on how the $500K works from the Mo Edu transfer. As well, what needs to be done with the other money in terms of new practice facility, etc.

A very likely scenario.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-09-2008, 08:31 PM
I dunno where people think we are getting a second dp from.
Dont forget we'd have to trade something huge to get it.
I really do not see us getting a second DP anytime soon.
The meeting is for one and one only (with two potential candidates vying for the position, both of which being submitted by Mo to the board)

Ossington Mental Youth
11-09-2008, 08:33 PM
I dunno, i dont see us paying something outrageous for a DP but we really have no reason to believe at this moment that the board wouldnt make 3 million available for a player of the same calibre

Dirk Diggler
11-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that this will be approved ... don't even think it is an issue to be honest. No use sweating this.

sully
11-09-2008, 09:36 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that this will be approved ... don't even think it is an issue to be honest. No use sweating this.

Agreed. They wouldn't even put it on the table unless they were moving forward with it in some way..

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-09-2008, 09:52 PM
It was my understanding that several things (including the DP) are being put to the board tomorrow. Maybe grass, practise facility, and stadium improvements might be put to the board as well.

Cashcleaner
11-10-2008, 01:08 AM
What won't be happening is a huge DP budget, to hire say a Del Piero. That can only be justified on the basis of off the pitch commercial appeal, MLSE won't want to take that kind of risk.

Which is a shame, once again, when you consider the multitude of other players under contract with MLSE that seem to get signed for their respective teams with little guarantee toward their impact as well.

The Kingpin
11-10-2008, 04:55 AM
Personally I see the (what I will call) "Placating Budget". MLSE will dole out what they feel will just be enough to keep the fans and Carver calm whilst ensuring that we are limited to an older player with a marquee name looking to collect a final few wage packets, or lure DeRosario as this will also distract fans for a few years. I estimate this to be the situation.

djking2
11-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Geez Kingpin you're rather cynical at 6:00 AM

Beach_Red
11-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Which is a shame, once again, when you consider the multitude of other players under contract with MLSE that seem to get signed for their respective teams with little guarantee toward their impact as well.

Yeah, but I thought we didn't want this team run like their others?

Seriously though, it would be very disappointing if they didn't spend at the top levels of other teams in the MLS - whatever Blanco and Angel are getting is probably the kind of numbers they'll approve.

Fort York Redcoat
11-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I suppose I hope for 2 Dp's and everything but I doubt we're going to see that plus salaries go up and roster spots grow.

I'd probably prioritize

roster spots
double base salaries
2 dp's

Which means I just ensured that the opposite will happen now.:noidea:

Roogsy
11-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Geez Kingpin you're rather cynical at 6:00 AM

It was 11am England-time when he wrote that...plenty of time to work up that cynicism! :D

Kickit09
11-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment board of directors meeting
http://fotos.fotoflexer.com/6849235091ecb298ceec3d7d9d8e0323.jpg

brad
11-10-2008, 11:13 AM
I dunno where people think we are getting a second dp from.
Dont forget we'd have to trade something huge to get it.
I really do not see us getting a second DP anytime soon.

Carver mentioned something in an interview that was misinterpreted as us looking for two DP's. John from CBC (I think it was him) clarified on this board almost immediately after that we are not looking for two DP's.

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
11-10-2008, 11:19 AM
I just heard on the Fan 590 that the board has confirmed the request for a DP slot to be filled for the 2009 season ..

Yaaa baby , Mo needs to get busy !!!!!!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-10-2008, 11:25 AM
I just heard on the Fan 590 that the board has confirmed the request for a DP slot to be filled for the 2009 season ..

Mo wants a Dp by January....

Let the rumors begin.....:drinking:

giambac
11-10-2008, 11:26 AM

He is busy. I heard he is out scouting the English and Scottish 4th level leagues. That's his idea of a DP player:eek:

Lucky Strike
11-10-2008, 11:26 AM

Doesn't that just mean they acknowledge receipt of the request for a DP? Have they actually decided anything?

Hitcho
11-10-2008, 11:27 AM
[quote=tfcnorth7;259339]I just heard on the Fan 590 that the board has confirmed the request for a DP slot to be filled for the 2009 season/quote]

Sweet. That removes any fears of the approval being withheld, although the amount available will remain secret.

Wonder what else was approved - did the Fan 590 give any insight?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-10-2008, 11:28 AM
He is busy. I heard he is out scouting the English and Scottish 4th level leagues. That's his idea of a DP player:eek:

really do you need to kill the thread already..?

Hitcho
11-10-2008, 11:28 AM

Ah Giambac, not seen any of your TFC bashing posts for a while. Why don't you start a thread about getting everyone to boo the team for 90 minutes straight at every home game next season? :D:D:D

giambac
11-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Ah Giambac, not seen any of your TFC bashing posts for a while. Why don't you start a thread about getting everyone to boo the team for 90 minutes straight at every home game next season? :D:D:D

No I'm rwally being serious here.

I have no doubt that MLSE will approve the signing of a DP.

My concern is what good will it do the team if we have 2 BOSO"s making the selection. Carver and Mo will restrict their seach to English and Scottish players because that's alll they know. However we all know there is much better talent out there that guys who played for Newcastle like 5 years ago.

bgnewf
11-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Does Barry MacLean have any "DP" type players on his roster? if he does then we all can expect that person to be signed, knowing Mo.

Hitcho
11-10-2008, 11:55 AM
No I'm rwally being serious here.

I have no doubt that MLSE will approve the signing of a DP.

My concern is what good will it do the team if we have 2 BOSO"s making the selection. Carver and Mo will restrict their seach to English and Scottish players because that's alll they know. However we all know there is much better talent out there that guys who played for Newcastle like 5 years ago.

Well in that case you may have a valid point. I agree that Mo has made some utterly crap signings, but he's also made some utterly brilliant ones in fairness. Brennan, Sutton, Wynne, Robinson and Dichio were all sinpired choices. And the likes of Ricketts, Guevara and Barrett weren't far behind IMHO. Even Robert seemd like a great signing at the time (although it all turned sour down to his attitude).

Still, I think we should be focussing on the positives here because the fact is that getting a DP on board is potentially a big step forward for the club. if Mo screws it up, he'll be hounded for it and it may cost him his job. Bt he may pull something out the bag. So let's enjoy this rather than stamping on it, no?

Beach_Red
11-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Well in that case you may have a valid point. I agree that Mo has made some utterly crap signings, but he's also made some utterly brilliant ones in fairness. Brennan, Sutton, Wynne, Robinson and Dichio were all sinpired choices. And the likes of Ricketts, Guevara and Barrett weren't far behind IMHO. Even Robert seemd like a great signing at the time (although it all turned sour down to his attitude).

Still, I think we should be focussing on the positives here because the fact is that getting a DP on board is potentially a big step forward for the club. if Mo screws it up, he'll be hounded for it and it may cost him his job. Bt he may pull something out the bag. So let's enjoy this rather than stamping on it, no?

We always talk here as though TFC is in some kind of negotiating position and can do something other than just ask every player who's out of a contract. I'm sure the guys in charge ask them all and sign the ones who say yes.

They certainly have a better chance of getting a yes out of someone where they have a personal contact, but I imagine they get turned down there a lot, too.

Getting DP approval from the board means they have more money to offer which means there's more guys they can ask. They're going to get turned down a lot, but they'll get someone.

tfc
11-10-2008, 12:19 PM
oh god, giambac, shut the fack up.

Is it really that big of an issue where Mo and Carver sign players? If they are comfortable signing players from England and Scotland (BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEM BEST) then I'd rather them do that than go to Africa and pick a guy without knowing his character and potential.

One of the big things this team has going for them is how well they get along, even players who have a history of blowing up (Guevara) seem to be getting along well with the team. I, for one, don't want them going to countries they are not comfortable in to sign a player who has a higher chance of flopping because some fucking retard RPB named giambac who has shown he has the intelligence of a squirrel says so.

Boris
11-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Guys....please keep this conversation civil...

Boris
11-10-2008, 12:22 PM
oh god, giambac, shut the fack up.

Is it really that big of an issue where Mo and Carver sign players? If they are comfortable signing players from England and Scotland (BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEM BEST) then I'd rather them do that than go to Africa and pick a guy without knowing his character and potential.

One of the big things this team has going for them is how well they get along, even players who have a history of blowing up (Guevara) seem to be getting along well with the team. I, for one, don't want them going to countries they are not comfortable in to sign a player who has a higher chance of flopping because some fucking retard RPB named giambac who has shown he has the intelligence of a squirrel says so.

No personal attacks
also, giambac is not an rpb...for the record

Hitcho
11-10-2008, 12:24 PM
One of the big things this team has going for them is how well they get along, even players who have a history of blowing up (Guevara) seem to be getting along well with the team.

Extremely good point, and long may that continue. In fact, that goes for getting in a DP who doesn't split the dressing room harmony no matter how good he is including if he comes from England/Scotland. Beckham's salary split the LA squad and caused friction. I'd hate to see something similar happen here, based on salary, reputation, ego or whatever.

Although in fairness, of the "big" names we've had so far, Robert was a total flop, Tebily couldn't get a game and Ruiz was, well, summed up quite nicely by the way he acted when subbed off in the final game at San Jose. So hopefully the squad won't be affected by any DP signing.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2008, 12:38 PM
in all fairness Tebily couldnt get a game cuz Velez and Marshall were playing extremely well, by the time he oculd get a game he split.

Let the names begin, im looking forward to this.
As someone else said, alot rests on Mo picking the right player

canadian_bhoy
11-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Target 1 is DeGuz, if he says no - look for Dero to be the DP in January.

If you prefer to let your mind wonder, talk about Del Piero - but I would put a firm bet on Dero being Toronto's DP next season.

Stouffville_RPB
11-10-2008, 12:51 PM
No personal attacks
also, giambac is not an rpb...for the record

Another one for The Mastermind :D

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-10-2008, 12:52 PM

If you prefer to let your mind wonder, talk about Del Piero - but I would put a firm bet on Dero being Toronto's DP next season.

would it be right to sign a NON DP player...to be your NEW DP PLAYER??:drinking:

canadian_bhoy
11-10-2008, 12:58 PM
would it be right to sign a NON DP player...to be your NEW DP PLAYER??:drinking:

Yes!

If TFC can't lure a "big time" DP and Dero is available, they should use the slot and make sure that we have the best team possible.

I'm curious as to where Dero would fit in the line-up with Amado. But he would be an undenyable asset to the club.

Anyway this club gets better, I say go for it.

arsenal
11-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Yes!

If TFC can't lure a "big time" DP and Dero is available, they should use the slot and make sure that we have the best team possible.

I'm curious as to where Dero would fit in the line-up with Amado. But he would be an undenyable asset to the club.

Anyway this club gets better, I say go for it.

Is there some loophole where we can sign him as our DP and not have to give compensation to Houston? If not, then Dero as a DP is a waste.

Toronto_Bhoy
11-10-2008, 01:06 PM
DeGuzman would be a fool to come to the MLS…

We need someone who can put the the ball in the net…not someone to set them up…a guy like this…apparently he's looking for a new challenge…

-DRx4twE8Gc

flatpicker
11-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I have no problem with TFC going after good Brit players.
It guarantees that they won't be leaving us for international duty!
If they sign top players from lower ranked countries then they run the risk of getting guys that play for their national teams.
And that sucks!
I say, only get skilled guys from countries that are ranked in the top 15 to be on the safe side!

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2008, 01:10 PM
i really have no clue how people thought that DeGuzman was coming, thats ridiculous at this point in his career. Im still not on board with DeRo either only because a) we have guevara and b) it will cost WAY too much to pry him from Houston.
Im willing to bet that DeRo is a plan c, one that i dont want to see executed.

canadian_bhoy
11-10-2008, 01:13 PM
I would do anything for TFC to sign Henrik Larsson.

As for DeGuz - I never said he was coming, I just said that Mo has him as his no. 1 target. Nothing is impossible - if he came to T.O. it'd be amazing.

I'd be happy with Dero because the team would be better, however, I would have hoped that we could have pulled in a superstar player.

Beach_Red
11-10-2008, 01:15 PM
DeGuzman would be a fool to come to the MLS…

We need someone who can put the the ball in the net…not someone to set them up…a guy like this…apparently he's looking for a new challenge…

Didn't you get the memo, no one who's ever played in Scotland/England.

I agree though, he'd be great. I really don't care if we only get one year out of a DP and then have to sign another one, and another and...

stretchthetruth
11-10-2008, 01:33 PM
If we got Larsson, I'd shit a brick... I think he's still got it, as proven by his short stint at ManU a while back... that would be awesome

Toronto_Bhoy
11-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Henrik is an interesting player…for him it's about the challenge not the money. He told Celtic at the time he extended his contract…"This is it. I'd like to try playing in Spain."

And that's exactly what he did. Then, "I'd like to play at home"…and he did. The opportunity popped up to play for a spell in the EPL with ManU and he said, "Sure. But only for 3 months." And he did. There isn't a more honest man in football.

He loves different football challenges…I'd say, "Hey come over here, try football on this side of the ocean and give your family a unique summer experience."

Offer him a one year rolling contract…you never know…he's not going to start on a top European club at 36…this would be perfect…

Shakes McQueen
11-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Henrik is an interesting player…for him it's about the challenge not the money. He told Celtic at the time he extended his contract…"This is it. I'd like to try playing in Spain."

And that's exactly what he did. Then, "I'd like to play at home"…and he did. The opportunity popped up to play for a spell in the EPL with ManU and he said, "Sure. But only for 3 months." And he did. There isn't a more honest man in football.

He loves different football challenges…I'd say, "Hey come over here, try football on this side of the ocean and give your family a unique summer experience."

Offer him a one year rolling contract…you never know…he's not going to start on a top European club at 36…this would be perfect…

That's actually a good idea. And a man with his mentality would be a great team leader.

I'd prefer a great DP with a longer contract, but if that can't be obtained, I'd take Larsson in a heartbeat.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2008, 01:40 PM
never gonna happen, hes already said he wants to raise his kids in sweden

Shaughno
11-10-2008, 01:42 PM
I would instantly go out and buy a Larsson jersey if he signed. The man is pure class and the definition of what a professional football player should be.

canadian_bhoy
11-10-2008, 01:43 PM
If you read the quotes from Barca players when Henrik was there - you see the influence he had and how much his work ethic and experience rubbed off on other players.

Larsson could have made Lombardo Score
Larsson could make Jarrod Smith hit the net
Larsson could make Wynne run east west
Larsson could make Sutton stop a low shot
Larsson could get people to sing "stand up for the TFC" with the correct tune
Larsson could....

Shaughno
11-10-2008, 01:44 PM
...sign for TFC. ;)

Beach_Red
11-10-2008, 01:47 PM

You're right, make him an offer. If he wants the challenge of playing "in America" (as people still see MLS) there isn't a better place than BMO.

I imagine his agent would make inquiries with MLS teams.

Toronto_Bhoy
11-10-2008, 01:49 PM
never gonna happen, hes already said he wants to raise his kids in sweden

Agreed! So you position it as a "summer family experience"!

One thing he and his wife have always said was that enjoyed their experiences outside of football.

Example, his wife loves horses, she loved the fact that Glasgow was so close to the countryside…offer them a condo downtown and a place in Caledon [or heaven forbid Orangeville]…arrange the whole horse thing…just for the summer…

The Bhoys at the club scoffed at me too but I think if you package it right its totally doable! Bring on the King of Kings!!!

Even the Rangers boys on the board would welcome him [albeit begrudgingly]! :)

Sonny Cheeba
11-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Larsson is a bit of a push i think and only because of him being nice an comfortable in sweden. we could definitely afford him though.... but i get the feeling if he came here it wouldn't be for long.

Del Piero (according to MLS rumors) is now "connected" to the Shitebulls...... i actually don't believe he's connected to anyone over here. still has some euro play in him.

Hitcho
11-10-2008, 02:01 PM
If your source on De Guz and De Ro is right, then Mo is going after two players iin positions we already have covered well in Robbo and Guevara. De Guz is v unlikely, I think we all agree. So to replace one 30-something player with another but on way more money for what probably won't be a huge improvement makes little sense to me. I'd rather see us sign an absolutely top class CB in his late 20's who we can build the defence around for years to come, because we badly need someone like that. Or a deadly poacher who can score from anywhere in and around the box, because we need that too. Or even a top class left winger (although you get more limited return for your money there) because we have another hole in the squad there.

I take your point about getting anyone on board if they improve the sqaud quality over having no-one, but I'd rather see us target areas we really need to improve before settling on a like for like player we already have...

nascarguy
11-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Word is rumbling that New York will rival Toronto FC in the battle to bring Juventus star Alessandro Del Piero to MLS next summer...

Dutch magazine Sportweek reports that as many as 20 scouts were on hand to watch AZ Alkmaar striker Mounir El-Hamdaoui, including one from Barcelona...

http://soccer365.com/us_news/story_101108143411.php#

Steve
11-10-2008, 02:08 PM
If your source on De Guz and De Ro is right, then Mo is going after two players iin positions we already have covered well in Robbo and Guevara. De Guz is v unlikely, I think we all agree. So to replace one 30-something player with another but on way more money for what probably won't be a huge improvement makes little sense to me. I'd rather see us sign an absolutely top class CB in his late 20's who we can build the defence around for years to come, because we badly need someone like that. Or a deadly poacher who can score from anywhere in and around the box, because we need that too. Or even a top class left winger (although you get more limited return for your money there) because we have another hole in the squad there.

I take your point about getting anyone on board if they improve the sqaud quality over having no-one, but I'd rather see us target areas we really need to improve before settling on a like for like player we already have...

It won't be a CB. It will be a player that will give you a highlight reel. That means striker or attacking mid (De-Guz can still pull off some nice moves, so would do).

Toronto_Bhoy
11-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Larsson is a bit of a push i think and only because of him being nice an comfortable in sweden. we could definitely afford him though.... but i get the feeling if he came here it wouldn't be for long.

Del Piero (according to MLS rumors) is now "connected" to the Shitebulls...... i actually don't believe he's connected to anyone over here. still has some euro play in him.

Del Piero has unfinished business with Juve…making them Champions again…until then I doubt he'd come over to the MLS. He'd also have to give up unbelievable sponsorship money that he can't make here 'cause he doesn't speak English. After Beckham he may be the biggest footballer brand in Europe.

On Henke, I have read in a couple of places that his contract with Helsingborg is over and he was not interested in resigning…

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4064212,00.html

I'm not one for the Rumour Mill but I really think he would consider the MLS as his final football challenge…why not here.

Make it happen MLSE!!!

Cashcleaner
11-10-2008, 02:39 PM

So you're thinking we might actually go ahead and waste a perfectly good DP slot on De Rosario? I sorta see that, which sucks of course.

Hitcho
11-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Larsson, whilst clearly a very good player, is a step in the wrong direction for TFC I think. There was a shift in player age towards the back end of last season and less dependency on mid-30s players. I'd much rather see us nab a hot young striker in the draft and bring him through behind Dichio and Barrett than blow a DP slot on a 37 year old who may give us six good months bu that's about it.

Having said that, if HL made us MLS Cup Champions and then left I'd probably take that... :D:D:D

Blizzard
11-10-2008, 02:40 PM
in all fairness Tebily couldnt get a game cuz Velez and Marshall were playing extremely well, by the time he oculd get a game he split.

Let the names begin, im looking forward to this.
As someone else said, alot rests on Mo picking the right player

Let's also not forget that he had a long lingering leg injury. When he was playing he was great.

Tebily was not a bad pick up and we can't blame Mo for Tebily's wife dragging him back home to Paris.

TFCREDNWHITE
11-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Please DO NOT USE, i repeat, DO NOT USE the DP slot on DeRo!!

DeRo is NOT a Designated Player!!!

Please use the DP slot on a BIG PLAYER from Europe!

Also whats the word on Grass and a Practice facility??? Those items were also supposed to be on the board vote!???

Nodoubtguy
11-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Eidur!!!

Chevy
11-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Did anyone see Del Piero's two goals against Real Madrid and his free kick goal this weekend in Serie A?

As much as I would love to see him come over here - he's not leaving Italy anytime soon.

Shakes McQueen
11-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Eidur!!!

Eidur Gudjonsen would be a coup for TFC, but I don't see it. Still has lots to give another European club, once he inevitably leaves Barca.

- Scott

SilverSamurai
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
I say use it on an young striker from the South American or African leagues. Someone who's on his way to hitting their prime. Let's be honest anyone IN their prime in Europe will not want to come to MLS unless they have issues.

Cristiano14
11-10-2008, 03:32 PM
So when are done voting, and when will we know?
are they just voting on DPs or will practise feilds etc. be included as well?

J .
11-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Imagine if we brought in Judas as our DP

The Kingpin
11-10-2008, 04:46 PM
I would do anything for TFC to sign Henrik Larsson.

As for DeGuz - I never said he was coming, I just said that Mo has him as his no. 1 target. Nothing is impossible - if he came to T.O. it'd be amazing.

I'd be happy with Dero because the team would be better, however, I would have hoped that we could have pulled in a superstar player.

Aaaaaannnyyyyythinnggg..... :eek:

Hitcho
11-10-2008, 05:11 PM
I don't see why De Ro has to be a DP when he isn't one at Houston. He's 30, this is not the tme to be giving him a huge pay rise on a long contract. Besides which we have plenty of allocation money left. Get him in, I have no qualms about that, but let's ALSO get in a DP on top.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2008, 05:20 PM
play DeRo over Guevara?
i dont think so, Guevara would hate that.
We cant have both, they play the same position

jloome
11-10-2008, 05:29 PM
play DeRo over Guevara?
i dont think so, Guevara would hate that.
We cant have both, they play the same position

Well, sort of... Guevara's an out-and-out midfielder, while De Ro's a former striker converted to play in the hole behind the strikers. We could bring him in as the setup man upfront, allowing Guevara to hang back a little in midfield and not leave Robbo all the defensive work.

But it wouldn't solve either of our two biggest issues: scoring goals and stopping them. DeRo has only averaged seven per season, and we need someone whose a dead cert to flirt with double that amount and then some.

OneLoveOneEric
11-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Larsson at TFC would blow my mind. And he has A LOT more than 6 months of football left in him. He's an intelligent player that will continue to remake his game as he ages, like all the greats do. He'd be an absolute sensation here. Not a step in the wrong direction at all. IMO, there are two choices with 2 downsides:
1. The people who want a young "up and coming" player because they aren't past their best -- these guys will be using MLS as a stepping stone upon which to move onward and upward.
2. The older, "former" superstar, who could add tons of class to our team -- but will be seen as a retiree looking for a last payday in North America.
Because option 3, the world class player in his prime, is NOT coming to MLS, and is certainly NOT coming to Toronto.

For me, I'd take #2 every time -- experience teaches so much, and great players find ways to continue being great when they lose a step of pace -- Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Del Piero, Maldini, etc.....
I have little interest in spending tons of cash to blood a youngster that will leave at the first sign of interest from overseas.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2008, 05:37 PM
yep, more or less what i thought, i mean Guevara without getting into semantics essentially plays DeRos position (DeRo plays forward a bit, Guevara back a bit, but its the same position more or less, Attacking mid). If we had room with salary and roster, sure, do it up but as of right now he'd be playing a position we have filled. Like you said, we need a poacher (or in my opinion, equally as valued, a strong leading CB)

TFCREDNWHITE
11-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Any word on the Grass and Practice Facility??????

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2008, 06:24 PM
any word on anything?

Lucky Strike
11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
This is just speculation but...you know how Mo said he'd like to bring in a Canadian DP? What happens if one of Mo's targets was Hume who had his head bashed in on Saturday?

Like I said, it's speculation and wild one at that, seeing as to how Barnsley paid £1.2 million from him in July.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2008, 06:55 PM
i wouldnt give too much to the 'canadian dp' bit.
Yes he'd like to bring one in but thats if ones available which it prob wont be.

Toronto_Bhoy
11-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Larsson at TFC would blow my mind. And he has A LOT more than 6 months of football left in him. He's an intelligent player that will continue to remake his game as he ages, like all the greats do. He'd be an absolute sensation here. Not a step in the wrong direction at all. IMO, there are two choices with 2 downsides:
1. The people who want a young "up and coming" player because they aren't past their best -- these guys will be using MLS as a stepping stone upon which to move onward and upward.
2. The older, "former" superstar, who could add tons of class to our team -- but will be seen as a retiree looking for a last payday in North America.
Because option 3, the world class player in his prime, is NOT coming to MLS, and is certainly NOT coming to Toronto.

For me, I'd take #2 every time -- experience teaches so much, and great players find ways to continue being great when they lose a step of pace -- Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Del Piero, Maldini, etc.....
I have little interest in spending tons of cash to blood a youngster that will leave at the first sign of interest from overseas.

Good points.

If you get the right type of veteran…like a Larsson [and some others], your younger guys can learn so much. Messi said he learned more from Larsson than any other teammate he had played with.

Works for me…

Cristiano14
11-10-2008, 09:09 PM
So what happend? any word? we getting a dp or not???

Roogsy
11-10-2008, 09:12 PM
This isn't about getting a DP but whether the board will give the green light for Mo to spend over the MLS cap.

Nobody will be signed for a while, if at all.

H Bomb
11-10-2008, 09:13 PM
There isn't going to be an announcement about this i imagine. It's a board budget meeting is it not? I think this is a case of us being bored in the offseason. Even if they vote nay tomorrow I dont think it'd be the end of the world...and they wont be voting to "get a DP tomorrow will they? Only voting on a budget

Cristiano14
11-10-2008, 10:17 PM
good point lol

The Oz
11-10-2008, 11:04 PM

These two aren't coming. We have to also take in the idea of loyalty and if a player will leave a club that they've been at for a long career. Scholesy and Giggsy (while I would die of excitement and where my Giggs jersey for months at a time) will prolly never come to the MLS let alone TFC. Please be realistic (but I can't blame you for dreaming buddy :D).

Hitcho
11-11-2008, 09:54 AM
^^ I don't think he was suggesting these players might come or would even be targetted, he was just using them as an example of great players who adapt their game as they get older to remain at the top level...

Lucky Strike
11-11-2008, 10:05 AM
This is just speculation but...you know how Mo said he'd like to bring in a Canadian DP? What happens if one of Mo's targets was Hume who had his head bashed in on Saturday?

Like I said, it's speculation and wild one at that, seeing as to how Barnsley paid £1.2 million from him in July.

Ha! One for me! Turns out Mo was looking at Hume for DP. Of course, it probably won't happen now because of the injury. Get better soon!

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/11/11/7369516-sun.html

OneLoveOneEric
11-11-2008, 10:11 AM
^^ I don't think he was suggesting these players might come or would even be targetted, he was just using them as an example of great players who adapt their game as they get older to remain at the top level...

Exactly. They were examples only. For that matter, I don't think Larrson will come either.
TBH, I think we should be looking MUCH further down the totem pole for players that can influence the team in different ways -- character, work ethic, experience.... We have to be realistic about who would want to come play here. I'd take proven work-horses like George Boateng for example, as realistic targets for our club.

Hitcho
11-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Exactly. They were examples only. For that matter, I don't think Larrson will come either.
TBH, I think we should be looking MUCH further down the totem pole for players that can influence the team in different ways -- character, work ethic, experience.... We have to be realistic about who would want to come play here. I'd take proven work-horses like George Boateng for example, as realistic targets for our club.

Hmmm. Not exactly a signing to generate excitement among the fans or make the waiting list grow even longer. Lucky he's as unlikely to come here as Henry in that case!

But yeah, I take your point about lower down the pole, just nto THAT low... :D

OneLoveOneEric
11-11-2008, 12:13 PM
^^I don't mean as a DP, of course.
I just think that a guy like that still offers way more than your avg MLS journeyman.

flatpicker
11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
I still don't understand why they would consider getting a marquee player who is also a member of his countries national team!
With all the scheduling issues we have gone through, you would think they would avoid that problem as much as possible!

Hitcho
11-11-2008, 01:30 PM
I still don't understand why they would consider getting a marquee player who is also a member of his countries national team!
With all the scheduling issues we have gone through, you would think they would avoid that problem as much as possible!

Agreed. This is a major concern for TFC, and it's a double problem since we're basically the only club that is significantly affected by it. most MLS clubs suffer nothing more than a player or so at most, but we get decimated. Lowering that ratio is paramount to compete consistently over the course of the upcoming seasons.

Beach_Red
11-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Agreed. This is a major concern for TFC, and it's a double problem since we're basically the only club that is significantly affected by it. most MLS clubs suffer nothing more than a player or so at most, but we get decimated. Lowering that ratio is paramount to compete consistently over the course of the upcoming seasons.

With the amount of restrictions we have on player selection - from the salary cap to the small roster to the international and domestic spots to the fact that so many players just plain turn down playing in Canada, there's no way we should restrict ourselves even further.

What are we really talking about here, 4 games out of 30? 5 games? And last year we won one of those games on the road with the depleted roster.

It's true, as the team gets more established if the schedule stays screwy then international duty can be more of a concern, but at this point with so few players to realistically choose from, we have to sign the best possble players who'll come here.

Hitcho
11-11-2008, 03:24 PM
With the amount of restrictions we have on player selection - from the salary cap to the small roster to the international and domestic spots to the fact that so many players just plain turn down playing in Canada, there's no way we should restrict ourselves even further.

What are we really talking about here, 4 games out of 30? 5 games? And last year we won one of those games on the road with the depleted roster.

It's true, as the team gets more established if the schedule stays screwy then international duty can be more of a concern, but at this point with so few players to realistically choose from, we have to sign the best possble players who'll come here.

I don't think anyone disputes we should be siging the best players we can, but to aim for likely international absentees as first choice without looking for alternatives who won't get called away from the sqaud first is reckless in our situation, and that's what I think we should be avoiding.

Besides which, we were losing around 9 players each time last season which was pretty crippling. If the problem gets worse and even more players get taken away from the squad and we end up missing more than an entire team (most of them likely to be first team starters) then we may end up in a situation where we cannot actually get a team out, and at that stage signing non-internationals actually becomes more important than getting the best available players because otherwise we can kiss goodbye to a guaranteed 12 to 15 points a season, and with it the play-offs every year to boot.

There's more than one way to take the club forward and balancing international call ups against signing the best players available has to be a consideration in our situation. I stress balance though, not take priority.

Luanda
11-12-2008, 07:11 AM
I agree that balance will be the most important element in the making of next year's roster. Losing half of the squad to international play is simply crazy. Mo has to find enough quality players, but quality players that will not necessarily get called up by their national squads.

onemanbarmyarmy
11-12-2008, 07:56 AM
The team can counteract the int'l call ups by adding depth. there are some starters from this year that will be depth next year. On the same note some of the depth guys accumulated experience due to the call ups so hopefully that is going to help as well.