PDA

View Full Version : Cesar Velasco Presentation

colman1860
11-09-2008, 03:11 PM
About a week ago, I was able to attend a presentation by TFC marketing director Cesar Velasco. I got an audio recording of the entire presentation (about an hour and a half) which you can download at the link below, or you can visit my blog for the key points he addressed.

Toronto FC Offside (http://torontofc.theoffside.com/uncategorized/cesar-velasco-guest-speaker.html)

(http://rapidshare.com/files/162214633/Cesar_Velasco.wma)

Parkdale
11-09-2008, 03:15 PM
1. Columbus is lobbying the MLS to have their opening game of the year be at home against TFC permanently.

that's just not fair to other teams. I'm sure that having TFC in your house makes for an exciting home opener, so it shouldn't be given to one team permanently. It would be like saying the LA Galaxy had to play the home opener just because you're banking on the Beckham bandwagon.

TheRenter
11-09-2008, 03:16 PM
i find that bit about the kkkrew quite comical...teehee!

zeelaw
11-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Sweet lets take away more credibility from this league.

Cashcleaner
11-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Columbus can go fuck themselves if they think we want to be any part of their pathetic pseudo-rivalry. Let's be clear about this: The Crew just want to have some sort of guaranteed sale of a few thousand tickets on a yearly basis. Such a deal would benefit the Crew only and do nothing for Toronto.

colman1860
11-09-2008, 03:27 PM
It's all part of promoting the oh-so-prestigious Trillium Cup. And they figure Columbus will get the highest number of TFC fans (due to proximity), and then the highest number of KKKrew fans, who want to outnumber TFC (apparently there was a point last year where more tickets were sold to TFC than Columbus. The Crew then used this fact in their marketing to tell their fans that they have to have more than us etc.) If the league sees it as a win-win (which they might), we're in Columbus for the start of every season.

GuelphStorm2007
11-09-2008, 03:31 PM
I hope that this doesnt happen. Why should TFC help attendance for Columbus. What do TFC get in return, Nothing. I have a funny feeling that The league will favor this.

Parkdale
11-09-2008, 03:31 PM
If the league sees it as a win-win (which they might), we're in Columbus for the start of every season.

They can't be that stupid. What happened last year had never happened in this league previously. If we go back for 2009, I bet it wont be as large as it was in 2008. I guarantee that if we're mandated by the league to go there every season, the numbers will drop every year. It's hard to get excited about doing the same thing over and over. Force us to play in Columbus, and it will become a chore.

Roogsy
11-09-2008, 03:54 PM
While I am not AS opposed to Columbus as some, I have to agree with people when they say that in making it a regular yearly thing, they are taking away from the spontaneity of last year.

You just can't reproduce that kind of expression. And to even try sort of defeats the very nature of Toronto FC's success, it's grassroots fanbase.

In my opinion, the league should encourage what happened in Columbus by being original and allowing the fans to visit a new location, something they can be excited about.

And just a personal opinion, what happened last year was truly special and something that will be difficult to reproduce. I am happy I was there to be a part of it.

Chevy
11-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Columbus can go fuck themselves if they think we want to be any part of their pathetic pseudo-rivalry. Let's be clear about this: The Crew just want to have some sort of guaranteed sale of a few thousand tickets on a yearly basis. Such a deal would benefit the Crew only and do nothing for Toronto.

Agreed. However there is nothing to say that 2000+ HAVE to travel there for the opener (ie. "Go Fuck Themselves"). I would also argue that if supporters are TOLD to do something, they probably won't do it.

Plus, I'm voting for a Chicago road trip in 2009:drinking:

bee dubya
11-09-2008, 04:27 PM
If the league was smart about it, they'd simply rotate our opening game of the season to the Eastern division sides that are close enough for road trips, NE, NY, Washington, Columbus, Chicago and Philly (when they join the league) because let's face it we aren't going to have the home opener on the opening day of the season. If they can do that, there's no reason why the traveling support numbers can't be strong for those games.

I enjoyed the trip to Columbus last year, for the most part, but I don't think I'd be overjoyed to go back for the season opener next year and I think a lot of other TFC supporters feel the same.

CretanBull
11-09-2008, 04:36 PM
I don't want to be apart of Columbus's mandated cash-cow.

James Oliphant
11-09-2008, 04:38 PM
If TFC start next year in Columbus, I'm not going. I'd advise everyone else to do the same, but that's all up to you.

Why? Fuck Columbus, that's why. Attempting to ride the coattails of our success is pathetic. Get your own fucking fans.

Especially after the way we were treated down there. No toilets, no trash cans, aggressive police...all that on top of the fact that it's an armpit of a city leaves me with zero interest in ever contributing to their coffers again.

Actually, I hope they do schedule things that way next year. Wouldn't it be beautiful if Columbus got their wish, made all the preparations for 2000+ TFC fans to show up, and then no one came?

Cambridge_Red
11-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Unfortunately its a long offseason and I expect alot of people to be down there again. If, and thats a big if I go it will be a one day trip. I would much rather spend more time and money on cultured cities.

MFG1
11-09-2008, 04:58 PM
yeah just simply not organize to go to columbus, save the BIG TRIP for chicago.

Parkdale
11-09-2008, 05:07 PM
let's take Columbus out of the equation.

Is it fair to our traveling supporters to make them go to the same place for every home opener? Absolutely not.

James Oliphant
11-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Exactly Parky.

They need to stop trying to shove "tradition" down our throats. There is no derby, there is no rivalry, there is no history. Can't they just let it happen?

TFC OZZ
11-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I still want a home game to start the season. I don't care if there's ice and it's -20'C, I'd be there.

Oldtimer
11-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Forget Columbus.

Our opening each year should be in Montreal!:driving:

Parkdale
11-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Forget Columbus.

that is until Miami FC gets into the league. The Montreal can be our 2nd game.

Blazer
11-09-2008, 05:52 PM

True. But this league, in all of it’s managing bedlam will cater to what it likely believes to be in the interest of the league rather than what some perceive to be a TFC issue.

106-12
11-09-2008, 08:01 PM
I like this idea in 4 to 5 years we will have 15000 fans in columbus . Then for sure we can sing < THIS IS OUR HOUSE >

James Oliphant
11-09-2008, 08:51 PM
True. But this league, in all of it’s managing bedlam will cater to what it likely believes to be in the interest of the league rather than what some perceive to be a TFC issue.

Not if we refuse to travel there, they won't.

Parkdale
11-09-2008, 09:59 PM
I like this idea in 4 to 5 years we will have 15000 fans in columbus . Then for sure we can sing < THIS IS OUR HOUSE >

or the opposite.

after 4-5 years of playing the same season opener, there might be 50-100 people there. Force us into a routine we didn't choose, and it will backfire. Hell, even if it was a great city like Chicago, or an amazing city like Montreal, it's still not fair to start the team in the same place year after year.

oh... and they wont even consider the idea of moving one of our matches so we aren't down 9 players because of international duties (which is a valid concern) but they'll do something like this, which is clearly the product of some marketing assholes. Now that's bullshit!

FluSH
11-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I've been to Columbus 3 times now... that's one too many... I must have committed a sin in some world religion out there...

Thou shall not go to cowlumbus more than once

GeorgeB
11-09-2008, 10:06 PM
they can shove their trillium cup up their ass.i dont give a fuck about it, stupidest idea ever,trying to create a rival for us, how fuckin scripted.put montreal in this league and save yourself some time you MLS dummies.

Roogsy
11-09-2008, 10:13 PM
or the opposite.

after 4-5 years of playing the same season opener, there might be 50-100 people there. Force us into a routine we didn't choose, and it will backfire. Hell, even if it was a great city like Chicago, or an amazing city like Montreal, it's still not fair to start the team in the same place year after year.

oh... and they wont even consider the idea of moving one of our matches so we aren't down 9 players because of international duties (which is a valid concern) but they'll do something like this, which is clearly the product of some marketing assholes. Now that's bullshit!

Good point...

Cashcleaner
11-10-2008, 12:56 AM
They can't be that stupid. What happened last year had never happened in this league previously. If we go back for 2009, I bet it wont be as large as it was in 2008. I guarantee that if we're mandated by the league to go there every season, the numbers will drop every year. It's hard to get excited about doing the same thing over and over. Force us to play in Columbus, and it will become a chore.

That's what I'm thinking as well. There's no way TFC would sign-off on the plan but who knows what the league is gonna do? In the end, it's just gonna bite them in the ass because people WILL get tired of trips to Columbus.

Keystone FC
11-10-2008, 05:02 AM
I agree with most, if not all, of what has been said in regards to the Crew being the opening day match.....for life. The MLS is still in an expansion frenzy with clubs being added in Philly and Seattle. I'm thinking Philly would be about the same drive time as NY and make for a better opening match and those fans will be VERY interesting. So to make the Crew our 1st match for the rest of our lives is head-in-hands kind of moment. Not to mention that Montreal and Vancouver would make for a better opening date match up than the Crew.
Plus, what happens when the Crew move to Vegas? Will they then still be our opening date? For those who don't know the Crew drew only 11,000 for the home game of the playoffs and on a Saturday night as well.

CoachGT
11-10-2008, 08:22 AM
It's all part of promoting the oh-so-prestigious Trillium Cup. And they figure Columbus will get the highest number of TFC fans (due to proximity), and then the highest number of KKKrew fans, who want to outnumber TFC (apparently there was a point last year where more tickets were sold to TFC than Columbus. The Crew then used this fact in their marketing to tell their fans that they have to have more than us etc.) If the league sees it as a win-win (which they might), we're in Columbus for the start of every season.

It seems that the league may be trying to promote this type of rivalry using rivalry cups. San Jose just announced (at their supporters banquet) the Heritage Cup between them and Seattle, the only two teams that are using their old NASL names in MLS (hence "heritage").

Last year, while in DC, one of the guys in the DC sales department came into our area and stayed there, and said they lobbied long and hard to have TFC as their opening game. They expected a large road contingent and thought that their stadium is well suited to hosting it. They're probably right, since they can put all of the TFC fans in the upper levels with separate concessions, washrooms and so on. Personally, I would love DC as an opening game!

New England could make a similar claim about hosting a large road crowd. Chicago would be tough, since they'd probably come close to selling out the stadium for the opener anyway.

CoachGT
11-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I've been to Columbus 3 times now... that's one too many... I must have committed a sin in some world religion out there...

Thou shall not go to cowlumbus more than once

Personally, after the first trip there, I have no desire to go back and I didn't this year.

King Tut
11-11-2008, 02:50 AM
Unfortunately its a long offseason and I expect alot of people to be down there again. If, and thats a big if I go it will be a one day trip. I would much rather spend more time and money on cultured cities.

Same. If I go, it will be drive from Toronto to the KKKrew Stadium, and drive back to Toronto. (Just like we did for the home opener. We didn't spend a single buck ifor accomodations or partying in that shithole of a city!)

jaahuuu
11-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Forget Columbus.

Hell yeah!!!

But until then I will without a doubt be making the drive to Montreal for the NCC.

I went to Columbus this year, and have no desire or plan to go back next year.

Shaughno
11-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Fuck Columbus. I don't care about their team, their city or anything else affiliated with that shit place.

Kickit09
11-11-2008, 10:00 AM
http://fotos.fotoflexer.com/ae0c38cc5afbdf8d4dffa21b8ddac03e.jpg

TFCREDNWHITE
11-11-2008, 11:43 AM
The NEW jersey is slated to be released within the first 10 days of December!! NICE can't wait, i'm already saving my money...

The other point that is interesting is MO is gunning for 2 DP's!!! that's DOUBLE NICE!!

colman1860
11-11-2008, 03:18 PM
The NEW jersey is slated to be released within the first 10 days of December!! NICE can't wait, i'm already saving my money...

The other point that is interesting is MO is gunning for 2 DP's!!! that's DOUBLE NICE!!

Sorry, you misunderstood me there - he's looking at two different guys as possibilities for a DP, though he will eventually only be able to sign one (depending on yesterday's budget meeting).

TFCREDNWHITE
11-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Sorry, you misunderstood me there - he's looking at two different guys as possibilities for a DP, though he will eventually only be able to sign one (depending on yesterday's budget meeting).

OOOOhhhhh ...... :(

Bobo
11-11-2008, 06:21 PM
I hope that this doesnt happen. Why should TFC help attendance for Columbus. What do TFC get in return, Nothing. I have a funny feeling that The league will favor this.

So we may be forced to make a decision. Go in full force, in greater numbers than last year and play pawns to the MLS, or don't go and stick it in the Crew's and the league's asses.......and not support our boys.......and miss a good road trip opportunity.

Blizzard
11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
So we may be forced to make a decision. Go in full force, in greater numbers than last year and play pawns to the MLS, or don't go and stick it in the Crew's and the league's asses.......and not support our boys.......and miss a good road trip opportunity.

I would suggest a boycot and instead aim for Boston, New York or Chicago but we most certainly would not achieve anywhere near the number of travelling supporters due to the much longer travel time.

That being the case, I think our goal should be to surpass the numbers of last year.

We need to support TFC and we have to admit that last year was special! Maybe it won't be as special the second time around but I think it's still worth it!

B

Bobo
11-11-2008, 07:20 PM
I would suggest a boycot and instead aim for Boston, New York or Chicago but we most certainly would not achieve anywhere near the number of travelling supporters due to the much longer travel time.

That being the case, I think our goal should be to surpass the numbers of last year.

We need to support TFC and we have to admit that last year was special! Maybe it won't be as special the second time around but I think it's still worth it!

B

Ya that's probably the only way. A banner would be great though. "We come for TFC, not MLS." Although officiating might get worse than last year after that...

Marco2K
11-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Hell I had a great time last year.

We hit a great club and partied hard.

But i hope we go to chicago or ny