PDA

View Full Version : Clearly Dichio...

FluSH
05-21-2008, 11:03 PM
...still has what it takes! So where are all the critics now?

** Husstles for a ball and roughs his way in for a goal

** Saves the team from a goal

and

** Sets up Guevara nicely on one occasion (unfortunately it was called offside)

bhoybobby
05-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Usual superlative stuff from DD, only difference was he scored. He is our frontline

TFC Tifoso
05-21-2008, 11:09 PM
One word for Dichio tonight...BOSS!
Yes, Flush...his critics are very silent tonight...what a goal, he's all heart!

Laurignano
05-21-2008, 11:09 PM
I still think we need a new striker.

Blizzard
05-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Usual superlative stuff from DD, only difference was he scored. He is our frontline

He was fantastic tonight. Top notch!

FluSH
05-21-2008, 11:13 PM
He was fantastic tonight. Top notch!

I agree... and gave it to Peralta BIG TIME... I was ready to go down fighting the TV if they got into a brawl!

Dichio is as tough as they come + he can score!

kdzb
05-21-2008, 11:17 PM
DD is a legend in TFC. now we have to wrap him up and put him in the trophy room.
It's time for a like of Ameobi or better in front.
Carver himself said that he solidified the midfield and defence now it's the striker situation to be addressed.
I love Dichio and I will love him forever as one of the pioneers of TFC success but I guess it's time to move on and find somebody to connect with all the opportunities that the nidfield build every game.

Keyman
05-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Dichio was fantastic tonight, he really was.

However we do need a new striker, he does not fit in our formation in my opinion. We would be much more dangerous if our lone striker had pace and skill on the ball, plus a finishers touch.

FluSH
05-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Dichio Was A Monster Tonight!

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Even if we get another striker, we’re still going to need Dichio. If things break right for TFC, the team could be playing 40+ games this season. We need depth.
Did Dichio put in a great performance tonight? Yes. Did the team look like it was capable of scoring a second goal? No. There’s still room for improvement.

CretanBull
05-21-2008, 11:24 PM

We need a new striker - not to replace Dichio but to play with him.

DD is a legend in TFC. now we have to wrap him up and put him in the trophy room...I guess it's time to move on and find somebody to connect with all the opportunities that the nidfield build every game.

Did you watch tonights game? DD created as many opportunities as our midfield did!

TFC Tifoso
05-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Dichio was fantastic tonight, he really was.

However we do need a new striker, he does not fit in our formation in my opinion. We would be much more dangerous if our lone striker had pace and skill on the ball, plus a finishers touch.

That's it? :D

Come on, DD has been doing it all season, his effort has been unquestionable this year. I think he is actually perfect for our system, as we absolutely need a tall, rangy striker who will win those air balls, and make a smart first touch back to the attacking mids. Dichio has the height and skills to do that. He's made beautiful one touch passes all year, and then a run towards goal.

Red CB Toronto
05-21-2008, 11:28 PM
He has always been top notch, comes to work everyday with the same work ethic, what great hustle tonight on the goal, never gave up and squeeked it in.

Keyman
05-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Dichio needs to play next to a smaller striker, and not have the duties of running onto Guevara's through balls. Guevara needs to have the ability to send his striker forward, and Dichio cannot do that. Dichio is not a finisher, he is a great target man who can control the pace of play and physically wear down defenders. However if we are going to be a contender in this league, we need to have a finisher up front; Dichio is not a finisher.

He's still an integral part to our team, I'm not downplaying that. I'm just saying that Dichio would be much more effective if he was not relied on as the goalscorer.

CretanBull
05-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Dichio needs to play next to a smaller striker, and not have the duties of running onto Guevara's through balls. Guevara needs to have the ability to send his striker forward, and Dichio cannot do that. Dichio is not a finisher, he is a great target man who can control the pace of play and physically wear down defenders. However if we are going to be a contender in this league, we need to have a finisher up front; Dichio is not a finisher.

He's still an integral part to our team, I'm not downplaying that. I'm just saying that Dichio would be much more effective if he was not relied on as the goalscorer.

You're right - although I don't think the other striker needs to be smaller as long as he can finish. We should be playing 4-4-2 with Dichio and a finisher up front.

Keyman
05-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Yea I agree, just a finished in general. I'd like to seem him play next to a striker in a sort-of 4-4-2 as well. I'd like it to shape up something like this:

---Striker-------Dichio------
---------Guevara-----------
--Robert---------Ricketts---
---------Robinson-----------

Pachuco
05-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Dichio made me eat my words tonight. i'll be the first to admit it, I think Dichio would be most effective with another striker or coming in later in the games but as for tonight, he was UNREAL!!! I can't believe that goal he saved, I didn't notice it was him until I got home and watched the replays again. And as for the goal, my God what a beast!!!!

TFCREDNWHITE
05-22-2008, 12:16 AM
A couple of times though he just gave up...I really liked Jarod Smith tonite!

etro
05-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Definitely one of Dichio's better performances in the past few games. He didn't look tired and he didn't look like he needed to be subbed off at all.

I dunno whats up with these DC guys though... Dichio is the last person I'd want to pick a fight with lol

Laurignano
05-22-2008, 12:29 AM
So then what do we do with Edu? just bench him with another striker? I doubt it that will happen. Most likely its going to be Dichio on the bench.

Keyman
05-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Why not bench Edu? Isn't that what you're supposed to do with players who are not performing well?

Edu does not have a role on this team, he's just there. He is supposed to act as a link between Robbo/backline and the flanks, as well as a bridge between the back and Guevara. He is doing neither well.

Raging Reggie
05-22-2008, 12:44 AM
I was skeptical with Dichio as of late (the past few games) but tonight he stepped it up and was amazing. He definantly deserved MOTM in my opinion. Maybe he has been lurking the boards. I hope so anways and hes using it as inspiration. Hope he plays like he did tonight again in DC on the weekend!

GabrielHurl
05-22-2008, 12:46 AM
DD had a good game tonight (1st this year from 8 games) - don't get me wrong.

We're going nowhere with him starting though

CretanBull
05-22-2008, 12:49 AM
So then what do we do with Edu? just bench him with another striker?

Yes. Can you honestly say that Edu has earned his spot as a starter this year? If Dichio had someone up front to play with and off of, he becomes even better than he already is. Playing 4-5-1 with a different striker than Dichio might make us marginally better. Playing 4-4-2 with Dichio and a finisher makes us a lot better.

Edu can sub-in when we've we want to hold a lead, or when one of the other mids isn't playing well.

CretanBull
05-22-2008, 12:50 AM
DD had a good game tonight (1st this year from 8 games) - don't get me wrong.

We're going nowhere with him starting though

Nowhere but unbeaten in 6? I hope we keep going nowhere with him!

Red CB Toronto
05-22-2008, 12:56 AM
I love this pic, he shows such great emotion, he is such a warrior, never gives up and fights to the finish.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080522/i/r3170063596.jpg

akoto
05-22-2008, 01:24 AM
Classic

werewolf
05-22-2008, 01:25 AM
that photo/celebration is epic.

Cashcleaner
05-22-2008, 01:27 AM
Haven't seen a shred of footage from tonight's game, so I'll hold my tongue until then. I stand by my lastest observations, however. No matter what his performance tonight, he was still looking a little slow on the pitch compared to the MF and I know I would have liked to have seen him subed out earlier than we was for most games.

But with all that said, I still love the guy; and by the looks of things he'll be with Toronto for quite a while.

Torcida
05-22-2008, 03:40 AM
Yea I agree, just a finished in general. I'd like to seem him play next to a striker in a sort-of 4-4-2 as well. I'd like it to shape up something like this:

I agree 100%

Cambridge_Red
05-22-2008, 03:43 AM
Not a critic of Dichio, but I am a critic of him in that position. I understand we're playing it tight but were putting alot of stress on our defenders. Dichio is doing well, but IMO he needs a strike partner.

VPjr
05-22-2008, 04:31 AM
I'm as big a fan of DD as anyone and he was a monster tonight (from what I saw of him in the 2nd half...I missed the 1st half). But that doesn't diminsh the FACT that he's a classic 4-4-2 striker and we are not playing that system. He doesn't have the pace to stretch the D enough to open up the lanes that guys like Guevara, Robert, Edu and Ricketts need to create havoc.

I still want DD on the squad but a more complimentary striker would be preferable. Of course, that is not cunningham. I want Ameobi, like

trane
05-22-2008, 06:18 AM
We have been unbeatean in 6 games now, and you want to change the formation? Why, we have kept our shape and because of it we have been able to defend and attack well. You are not seeing as many goals as you would have liked because, due to our style the other teams are forced to defend and to try to keep their shape, as a result there is not the ussaul 10 brakedowns a game that result in goals. The past five games have been the best overall MLS games I have seen.

egoodwin
05-22-2008, 06:23 AM
it just had to happen in front of 127... during a game I had to miss due to work...

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Guys, I think a lot of you are missing something. When has Dichio ever really been "alone" in front? From what I'm watching, it almost always seems as though one mid carries the ball, another will head wide, and the other supports DD. I personally LOVE having 1 striker, because it gives our midfield the flexibility to push forward with less risk of getting caught upfield.

By the way have you noticed we haven't LOST since using one striker?!?! Why the hell would Carver change?

joel
05-22-2008, 07:11 AM
you can tell he plays better when it's not so hot. personally I'd rest Edu and run a 4-4-2 to help him out, but we're unbeaten in 6 so.....

OneLoveOneEric
05-22-2008, 07:20 AM
I still think he is shit. Sorry.
He scored last night. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
The number of times we put a ball across the face of goal only to see Danny lumber forward 10 minutes late was embarrassing.
Another striker is needed, pronto.

Shaughno
05-22-2008, 07:57 AM

Aside from being smaller, I think we just need a natural finisher.

To be honest, I actually would like to see Jarrod Smith play up front with Dichio and have Guevara play behind the two of them.

Shaughno
05-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Guys, I think a lot of you are missing something. When has Dichio ever really been "alone" in front? From what I'm watching, it almost always seems as though one mid carries the ball, another will head wide, and the other supports DD. I personally LOVE having 1 striker, because it gives our midfield the flexibility to push forward with less risk of getting caught upfield.

By the way have you noticed we haven't LOST since using one striker?!?! Why the hell would Carver change?

Have you noticed our inability to SCORE multiple goals per game?

Look, if we want to actually compete regularily in this league we need a finisher.

Dichio has played in 8 games this year, and only had 5 shots total, with two on net that went in.

Look at Moreno at Columbus with the same amount of games played. 10 shots, 6 on goal, 4 goals, 3 assists. THIS is what we need.

Altidore with the same amount of goals, 10 shots, 5 on target. We NEED to create more shots from our strikers, more CHANCES from our strikers. This isn't happening for the most part. Which is why IMO we need a natural finisher. Someone who isn't afraid to take a defender on and blast a shot on net.

GaryJamboTFC
05-22-2008, 08:21 AM
The number of times we put a ball across the face of goal only to see Danny lumber forward 10 minutes late was embarrassing.

I think you should consider following another sport. This one appears to be too complicated for you. :noidea:

GaryJamboTFC
05-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Look, if we want to actually compete regularily in this league we need a finisher.
Dichio has played in 8 games this year, and only had 5 shots total, with two on net that went in.
Look at Moreno at Columbus with the same amount of games played. 10 shots, 6 on goal, 4 goals, 3 assists. THIS is what we need.
Altidore with the same amount of goals, 10 shots, 5 on target. We NEED to create more shots from our strikers, more CHANCES from our strikers. This isn't happening for the most part. Which is why IMO we need a natural finisher. Someone who isn't afraid to take a defender on and blast a shot on net.

Shaughno, to me that is down to Carver's tactics and formation. He seems happy to play it tight and create fewer chances while giving up fewer. He leaves DD on long after many of us would have subbed in Cunny, because Dicho's hold up play gives us chances at holding onto possession, which Cunny never does.

If you want more chances and goals, we should be playing 4-4-2, but since Carver seems to like this system, and we are grinding out results with it (which, I would have bitten my hand off for last season), I suppose we should have faith in the coach and his choices while it is working.

bhoybobby
05-22-2008, 08:33 AM
I think you should consider following another sport. This one appears to be too complicated for you. :noidea:

:D:D:D:D

OneLoveOneEric
05-22-2008, 08:37 AM

I think you should give your head a shake. Our only striker on the field, like Shaughno has said, has mustered up the heroic effort of 5 shots on goal in 8 games. That is a pathetic return. A striker's job is to score. It's actually one of the more simple aspects of the game. And if he's not going to score, he should be setting people up left, right, and centre. He hasn't done that either, as evidenced by our inability to kil opponents off or to score several goals in a game.
I'd much rather have a speedy, dangerous striker scaring defenders than Dichio. I'd rather the defenders were scared of being scored on than scared of getting hurt.
But it insults are all you want to add, that's cool too.

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 08:39 AM

I think Dichio is more a centre forward than an out and out striker anyways. In that description is role is not always solely to score goals, especially with our formation, because now TFC along with Dichio, has the attacking mids who can also put the ball in the net.
Moreno is a smallish striker who probably wouldn't fit into our system well.
And Altiwhore, while indeed talented, but do er all have to be reminded.....
JOZY'S A GIIIIIIIIRL'S NAME!
JOZY'S A GIIIIIIIIRL'S NAME! :D:D

Shaughno
05-22-2008, 08:41 AM
So basically you're saying you're OK with playing without someone who can genuinely create chances on goal from up front?

trane
05-22-2008, 08:44 AM

As I said before, I love the game that we are playing, one that minimizes the over teams chances. In that type of game you simply need to ensure that you take advantage of the chances you have, and that you are able to score from corners and free kicks. We have been able to do this and we have won. We do not need to score multiple goals to win, that is the point. Moreno and the overs have that many goals because other teams in the MLS play a relatively a open game in which chances are constantly created due to defensive mistakes. Right now we are playing a supperior type of footy one that will see us to well in the MLS if we keep it up. Dichio may not have many shots but he knows how to put them in when he has a chance, he will have 10 by the end of the year. I am never against upgrading any position if possible, but I am happy with Danny. I am very happy with the formation/system, it is what I was hoping to see.

Rawkus_420
05-22-2008, 08:44 AM

I think we need a new striker, but when we get one we will play with two; and change our formation. With Mr.Ricketts and Smith coming off the bench.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-22-2008, 08:45 AM
One word for Dichio tonight...BOSS!
Yes, Flush...his critics are very silent tonight...what a goal, he's all heart!

not really he's slow looks like a car going down a street the wrong way, did get the goal but....Cunny should be in there..

bhoybobby
05-22-2008, 08:45 AM
If we win 1-0 most games & tie several other most games, yeah, we're in the play=offs, yeah we're playing a system that works.

If & when we get a genuine scoring machine, then I'm sure JC will change tactic's to suit.

He's cutting his suit with the cloth he's been given

bhoybobby
05-22-2008, 08:47 AM
not really he's slow looks like a car going down a street the wrong way, did get the goal but....Cunny should be in there..

Cunny should be in another city, he brings nothing to this team, NOTHING.

Carver knows this, hence his bum on the bench.

Shaughno
05-22-2008, 08:49 AM
If we win 1-0 most games & tie several other most games, yeah, we're in the play=offs, yeah we're playing a system that works.

If & when we get a genuine scoring machine, then I'm sure JC will change tactic's to suit.

He's cutting his suit with the cloth he's been given

Agree 100%. I'm worried that this system won't hold up all season.

koryo
05-22-2008, 08:51 AM

Dichio is a centre-forward.

He played the part very well last night.

But yes, we do need a striker.

OneLoveOneEric
05-22-2008, 08:52 AM
As I said before, I love the game that we are playing, one that minimizes the over teams chances. In that type of game you simply need to ensure that you take advantage of the chances you have, and that you are able to score from corners and free kicks. We have been able to do this and we have won. We do not need to score multiple goals to win, that is the point. Moreno and the overs have that many goals because other teams in the MLS play a relatively a open game in which chances are constantly created due to defensive mistakes. Right now we are playing a supperior type of footy one that will see us to well in the MLS if we keep it up. Dichio may not have many shots but he knows how to put them in when he has a chance, he will have 10 by the end of the year. I am never against upgrading any position if possible, but I am happy with Danny. I am very happy with the formation/system, it is what I was hoping to see.

Trane, I don't think that this strategy really is part of the Danny issue, though. I agree that playing a more defensive approach in MLS is the way to go, because teams don't expect it, and because most teams in this league have shit defenses of their own. But Danny isn't really necessary for this to be successful. Our back 4 are solid, Robbo is solid, and the other attacking players seem to have bought in to the system well. Replace Danny with a striker that can score, and more is added to the system. It takes pressure off the defense, and allows us to defend a higher line, which is something that IMO we aren't very good at.

And for those who talk about how wonderful Danny is at "the little things", I've never sat in the pub and reminisced about what striker in history was the best at flicking the ball sideways with his head. We talk about the ones that scored goals.

trane
05-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Shoughno, I think a genuine scoring machine, can score in the system that we have the striker is supported on the attack by what amounts to three attacking mids. He would have enough oppotunites, on the counter. I agree that this is Dichio's weakness, in that his lack of pace creates less opportunties that the system would otherwise create on the counter , seeing that we have quick and active attacking mids. I just think Dichio does well with what he has and he contributes with his passing aswell. In some way I think that Guevarra has not made enough of his opportunities either. But I do think that will come with time.

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 08:58 AM
So basically you're saying you're OK with playing without someone who can genuinely create chances on goal from up front?

No no, I'm saying we don't need only ONE player to do this because now we have 3 or 4 who can score at any given time. Any one of Dichio, Robert, or Guevara have a nose for the net, and not many teams can say they have three like that. We don't have to rely just on Dichio anymore, but at the same time he is needed to hold the ball for attacking mids, then to make the run towards goal himself which he almost always has done this year. This team is playing very well with eachother now, more goals will come....they're playing too well for them not to.

trane
05-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Trane, I don't think that this strategy really is part of the Danny issue, though. I agree that playing a more defensive approach in MLS is the way to go, because teams don't expect it, and because most teams in this league have shit defenses of their own. But Danny isn't really necessary for this to be successful. Our back 4 are solid, Robbo is solid, and the other attacking players seem to have bought in to the system well. Replace Danny with a striker that can score, and more is added to the system. It takes pressure off the defense, and allows us to defend a higher line, which is something that IMO we aren't very good at.

And for those who talk about how wonderful Danny is at "the little things", I've never sat in the pub and reminisced about what striker in history was the best at flicking the ball sideways with his head. We talk about the ones that scored goals.

I cannot disagree.

bhoybobby
?And for those who talk about how wonderful Danny is at "the little things", I've never sat in the pub and reminisced about what striker in history was the best at flicking the ball sideways with his head. We talk about the ones that scored goals."

You must sit in pubs talking about Cunningham then. lol

DD brings a lot to the table:

Ariel threat, if the ball"s to his noggin he usually wins it

Passing, superb ist touch, brings other into the game, his one two's with Guevera were great.

Can play both ends of the field, kinda reminds me of Chris Sutton in that regard. He spent a fair bit of time defending in our box last night.

You're missing a lot, or just not seeing it. That's o.k, no crime there

OneLoveOneEric
I see it, Bobby. I just don't value it the way you do.
And that's also OK :)

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 09:00 AM

Oh yeah, Cunny would've really given the second effort Dichio did on the goal right?....and I'm sure Cunny would've been IN HIS OWN 6 YARD BOX to stop a goal too? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bars92
05-22-2008, 09:00 AM
We need 4-4-2 standard English formation. We can't expect Dichio to pull that off every game.

bhoybobby
05-22-2008, 09:02 AM
We need 4-4-2 standard English formation. We can't expect Dichio to pull that off every game.

Why change systems, we're unbeaten in 6.

If it ain't broke leave it the fuck alone:D

BeachRed
05-22-2008, 09:03 AM

Yes, and Edu should be in another city, too. We should trade him while he still has value. Every game he 'plays' his value goes down.

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 09:04 AM

that's the thing though eric, dichio nut huggers can only result to insults when you criticise the guy cause there are no facts to back up what they think. the cold hard facts show that the guy is mediocore. yeah he scored a great goal last night, no denying that, but over the course of this season the guy is useless. as the facts show.

and no dichio does not usually take his goal scoring chances, he usually misses them. and last night i noticed he gave the ball away just as much as he won the ball so it all evened out.

Bars92
05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
that's the thing though eric, dichio nut huggers can only result to insults when you criticise the guy cause there are no facts to back up what they think. the cold hard facts show that the guy is mediocore. yeah he scored a great goal last night, no denying that, but over the course of this season the guy is useless. as the facts show.

and no dichio does not usually take his goal scoring chances, he usually misses them. and last night i noticed he gave the ball away just as much as he won the ball so it all evened out.

He was good on Queens Park Rangers.

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 09:14 AM

Yes you're right, he's totally useless....useless to score this year, useless to win balls in the air and keep posession for the mids, useless to use his strength to physically beat down defenders throughout the game, useless to give every ounce he has all game, to move as slow as he may be all over the attacking side of the field....yeah, he's useless. :rolleyes:
So what doesn't he have? Pace?! Big fucking deal! He has more football brains than 90% of the players in the fucking league.....THAT'S what I want on my team.

boban
05-22-2008, 09:16 AM
What he said. ^

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 09:19 AM
He was good on Queens Park Rangers.

that was over 10 years ago.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-22-2008, 09:21 AM

he doesn't play so how could he bring something to the team...other then 96 MLS goals!!!

bhoybobby
05-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Yes you're right, he's totally useless....useless to score this year, useless to win balls in the air and keep posession for the mids, useless to use his strength to physically beat down defenders throughout the game, useless to give every ounce he has all game, to move as slow as he may be all over the attacking side of the field....yeah, he's useless. :rolleyes:
So what doesn't he have? Pace?! Big fucking deal! He has more football brains than 90% of the players in the fucking league.....THAT'S what I want on my team.

Nice one:D:D:D:D:D:D

Shaughno
05-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Cunny isn't playing, so by process of elimination from Carver tactics it must mean he's not training well. Smith and Velez have been noted to be fantastic in training, hence their involvement of the squad. That's how it should be, that's how it always should be. I don't give a fuck what it says on the back of your jersey, you don't impress the manager in training, you don't start.

Bars92
05-22-2008, 09:24 AM
that was over 10 years ago.

Yeah thats my point. He is definately past it, but I think the point that his football IQ is much higher than most players in this league, is spot on. I think the team just needs another striker to compliment Danny boy.

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 09:27 AM

except for the fact that he doesn't win that many balls in the air, and sometimes he actually doesn't even make an attempt at winning the ball in the air even though it's two yards away from him. i was obviously being over the top by saying he is useless.

but what you are saying is, you would rather have a guy who has scored 2 goals all year, but shows heart than (for eg.):

Chicago Fire G A
------------ - -
Cuauhtemoc Blanco 3 2
John Thorrington 3 1
Chad Barrett 2 3

Columbus Crew G A
------------- - -
Robbie Rogers 5 0
Alejandro Moreno 4 3

Chivas USA G A
---------- - -
Sacha Kljestan 4 3

Colorado Rapids G A
--------------- - -
Omar Cummings 3 1
Christian Gomez 2 4
Terry Cooke 1 3

FC Dallas G A
--------- - -
Kenny Cooper 5 1

i don't know, last time i checked the object of the game was to score goals, not have your main attacking player drop back into midfield and try to win balls and show heart

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Cunny isn't playing, so by process of elimination from Carver tactics it must mean he's not training well. Smith and Velez have been noted to be fantastic in training, hence their involvement of the squad. That's how it should be, that's how it always should be. I don't give a fuck what it says on the back of your jersey, you don't impress the manager in training, you don't start.

but if he is not impressing the manager,then ship he out...we could get a good draft pick for him or another forward player....trade him to Houston for DeRO:canada:

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Yeah thats my point. He is definately past it, but I think the point that his football IQ is much higher than most players in this league, is spot on. I think the team just needs another striker to compliment Danny boy.

i agree. the point i have been trying to make is that he is 'useless' playing the lone attacking role.

bhoybobby
05-22-2008, 09:32 AM
i agree. the point i have been trying to make is that he is 'useless' playing the lone attacking role.

I hope the eye op goes well:D

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 09:36 AM
I hope the eye op goes well:D

yeah me too. i can only imagine how the world must look with your eyesite. 2 goals in 8 games is an incredible return right??

tell me as well, what's it like to live in a world with no wars, no poverty, everyone is equal?

bhoybobby
05-22-2008, 09:43 AM
yeah me too. i can only imagine how the world must look with your eyesite. 2 goals in 8 games is an incredible return right??

tell me as well, what's it like to live in a world with no wars, no poverty, everyone is equal?

Unbeaten in 6 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 09:47 AM

incredible response mate. no one is debating that are we??

i'm wondering, would you trade dichio for scott mcdonald??

trane
05-22-2008, 09:49 AM
The bottom line is this for me, I think Dichio is great, he has great footy IQ, he has a great touch on the ball, he is great in the air, he finishes, he creates chances, and he does set up player. I love him as our striker. But he is lacking in pace, and this lack of pace does lessen his possible effectivenss. I cannot deny that. However, if we are going to get an upgrade for the position, we do not need a small quick striker, but rather someone with Dichio like attributes, but who is more mobile. [ I also think we need to give smith more chances at striker] As for Cunny I was a supporter, but he is not cut out for this system, and you need to understand that most of his goals came in a MLS in which he would regularly be able to run on goal almost unmarked. This is less likley to happen this days. He is the opposite of Dichio, his primary attribute is pace, and that alone will not cut it against good defending.

Technorgasm
05-22-2008, 09:49 AM

QFT.

To really capitalize on our potent attacking mids . . . . .we need to go with a 2 striker set-up. . I was saying that at the match, and I stick by it.

WALK ON

Ps GAY-ARDO sucks dick.

egoodwin
05-22-2008, 09:50 AM
oh I guess you think he was quite useless yesterday then...

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
except for the fact that he doesn't win that many balls in the air, and sometimes he actually doesn't even make an attempt at winning the ball in the air even though it's two yards away from him. i was obviously being over the top by saying he is useless.

but what you are saying is, you would rather have a guy who has scored 2 goals all year, but shows heart than (for eg.):

Chicago Fire G A
------------ - -
Cuauhtemoc Blanco 3 2
John Thorrington 3 1
Chad Barrett 2 3

Columbus Crew G A
------------- - -
Robbie Rogers 5 0
Alejandro Moreno 4 3

Chivas USA G A
---------- - -
Sacha Kljestan 4 3

Colorado Rapids G A
--------------- - -
Omar Cummings 3 1
Christian Gomez 2 4
Terry Cooke 1 3

FC Dallas G A
--------- - -
Kenny Cooper 5 1

i don't know, last time i checked the object of the game was to score goals, not have your main attacking player drop back into midfield and try to win balls and show heart

I totally disagree with what I bolded....IMO he wins many balls out there, and that is what he does best, keeps posession from long balls. Anyways, the stats you posted are good and all but I believe Dichio is not the offensive leader of our team so his points won't show that, Guevara is, Dichio is our centre forward (how many times do I have to say that?)...he is not on the field just to score goals like a pure striker. IMO he does so many other things to make his team successful AND scores on top of that!

I think all we are going to do here is agree to disagree, I won't see things your way and you won't mine, but at least you admitted labeling him "useless" was over the top, and I've also said all along our next move should be a DP striker, but DD is what we have now, and he has earned his striped with TFC, no question its undisputable IMO. What upsets me in all this talk is people who say Cunningham should be starting.....that's just crazy talk.

egoodwin
05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
unbeaten in 6? meh

how about unbeaten in 7 at home?

Our last defeat at BMO came on this day 8 months ago on Sep 22, 2007 against Columbus, the same day the goal drought ended

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 10:00 AM
The bottom line is this for me, I think Dichio is great, he has great footy IQ, he has a great touch on the ball, he is great in the air, he finishes, he creates chances, and he does set up player. I love him as our striker. But he is lacking in pace, and this lack of pace does lessen his possible effectivenss. I cannot deny that. However, if we are going to get an upgrade for the position, we do not need a small quick striker, but rather someone with Dichio like attributes, but who is more mobile. [ I also think we need to give smith more chances at striker] As for Cunny I was a supporter, but he is not cut out for this system, and you need to understand that most of his goals came in a MLS in which he would regularly be able to run on goal almost unmarked. This is less likley to happen this days. He is the opposite of Dichio, his primary attribute is pace, and that alone will not cut it against good defending.

I hear that a lot around here, but realistically, don't you think that's too much to ask for......your description is basically "the total package"...I think we have more than enough pace in the midfield now (Guevara and Ricketts....Robert while skilled is a lazy boy, but that's another topic) to make up for lack thereof at forward...like I said before the mid who joins the rush will negate our lack of pace from Dichio, and complement him.

BeachRed
05-22-2008, 10:03 AM

Chicago Fire G A
------------ - -
Cuauhtemoc Blanco 3 2
John Thorrington 3 1
Chad Barrett 2 3

Columbus Crew G A
------------- - -
Robbie Rogers 5 0
Alejandro Moreno 4 3

Chivas USA G A
---------- - -
Sacha Kljestan 4 3

Colorado Rapids G A
--------------- - -
Omar Cummings 3 1
Christian Gomez 2 4
Terry Cooke 1 3

FC Dallas G A
--------- - -
Kenny Cooper 5 1

How come you left out the top scorer in the league? Oh right, he's a dick.

See, there's more to it than goals. Danny Dichio is the perfect player for a team as young as TFC - he's a character player, a leader. Yes, I'd rather have DD than any selfish diva - of which there are plenty to chose from.

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 10:04 AM
What upsets me in all this talk is people who say Cunningham should be starting.....that's just crazy talk.

i agree. cunningham is not very good. but i would be interested to see how him and dichio played together as i think they would compliment each other.

while we are grinding out an unbeaten streak it is hard to be too critical but there are some things to keep in mind. the football we are playing is not easy on the eye (unless you have bhoybobby's eyesight), we don't score enough goals, and some of the draws could have been turned into victories had we a couple players who were more adept at finding the back of the net, and that is where i find fault with dichio. and the whole striker/centre forward argument is pedantic. he is leading our attack, therefore he should be scoring.

the other thing is we are playing at home where we obviously have a huge advantage, yet at home we can only squeak out narrow victories or draws. it will be interesting to see how the team does when they have a solid road trip.

oh and one thing i will say about me is that i don't always mean things to sound as harsh as they are. so although i say dichio is useless i don't mean maple leafs trying to win the stanley cup useless i mean he's ok for now, but for the team to really impress and start punishing teams we need better.

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 10:04 AM
How come you left out the top scorer in the league? Oh right, he's a dick.

purely on principle and i didn't want to start a riot...

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 10:09 AM
See, there's more to it than goals. Danny Dichio is the perfect player for a team as young as TFC - he's a character player, a leader. .

i won't argue with you there. in simple terms this is my issue:

dichio is our main attacker yet he has scored 2 in 8. fine he does all these other things (and even then he doesn't do them as well as some people on here seem to think) but if he is doing all these other things then who is going to be scoring the goals?? the team is only scoring slightly over a goal a game. if we want to win the cup or be a top team over the course of a season that needs to be increased ASAP

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Nice one:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thank you :D:D

BeachRed
05-22-2008, 10:11 AM
oh and one thing i will say about me is that i don't always mean things to sound as harsh as they are. so although i say dichio is useless i don't mean maple leafs trying to win the stanley cup useless i mean he's ok for now, but for the team to really impress and start punishing teams we need better.

Point taken.

Now, I don't want to use this an excuse, but the truth is, this is still an expansion team. I don't know much about soccer, but all successful expansion teams in hockey have built from the defense out. The ones that tried to go with scoring too soon always faded by the end of the season or if they squeaked into the playoffs got blown out when the real grinding started.

This team is building and establishing its character. So far, I really like what I see. It's got a way to go, but its really on the right track. One thing that proves this team is building with character is the fact it can bring in guys like Guevara and Robert with their reputations and get them on board. I'm sure having someone like Danny Dichio helps with that a lot, as does having John Carver and, say what you will about him, players respect Mo.

Yes, when this team goes on the road this year it's going to lose some games, but its building a great foundation.

Cambridge_Red
05-22-2008, 10:14 AM

I dont say "qft", but I totally agree.

Shaughno
05-22-2008, 10:18 AM
I hear that a lot around here, but realistically, don't you think that's too much to ask for......your description is basically "the total package"...I think we have more than enough pace in the midfield now (Guevara and Ricketts....Robert while skilled is a lazy boy, but that's another topic) to make up for lack thereof at forward...like I said before the mid who joins the rush will negate our lack of pace from Dichio, and complement him.

I don't think we need the total package. Far from it. We need a striker with decent size (not hard to find) who can put the ball in the back of the net, period. Dichio is not doing that job good enough regardless of whether he's a striker or CF. End of story.

Fact is, we've scored 5 goals in 5 games. Pathetic if we actually believe we are going to challenge for the playoffs.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-22-2008, 10:19 AM
I think people have to understand who Danny Dichio is…

He is a journeyman footballer, cut from the traditional British “target man” cloth…has limited skills but understands how to play within them and plays with unconditional love for the badge. Now, I understand that there are many on this board who don’t like this type of player (for whatever reason?) but in the current TFC set up…that’s they way it is…consider yourselves damn lucky to have a player of this kind.

And with all this “Dichio isn’t doing this…he can’t do that”…there is a awkward silence on this board about the performances on our “high priced skilled” players…the Guevara’s…Robert’s?

Look…I’m relatively happy with their performances to date…but when DD is winning balls…working in both boxes…physically punishing defenders…one touch passing…flicking balls into open space…the midfields job is to be there, link up and finish. Dichio's role is TARGET MAN not STRIKER! What part of this sentence is too difficult to understand? Yes, we need a striker to play with Dichio!!!

Danny must be knackered today…give him a break and start looking around the pitch…

Shaughno
05-22-2008, 10:24 AM
I think people have to understand who Danny Dichio is…

He is a journeyman footballer, cut from the traditional British “target man” cloth…has limited skills but understands how to play within them and plays with unconditional love for the badge. Now, I understand that there are many on this board who don’t like this type of player (for whatever reason?) but in the current TFC set up…that’s they way it is…consider yourselves damn lucky to have a player of this kind.

And with all this “Dichio isn’t doing this…he can’t do that”…there is a awkward silence on this board about the performances on our “high priced skilled” players…the Guevara’s…Robert’s?

Look…I’m relatively happy with their performances to date…but when DD is winning balls…working in both boxes…physically punishing defenders…one touch passing…flicking balls into open space…the midfields job is to be there, link up and finish. Dichio's role is TARGET MAN not STRIKER! What part of this sentence is too difficult to understand? Yes, we need a striker to play with Dichio!!!

Danny must be knackered today…give him a break and start looking around the pitch…

If we keep this formation, Dichio is basically lone forward. If we get a better striker either he gets replaced in the starting XI, or a midfielder (Edu) comes out and Guevara pushes back to AM with the striker playing along side Dichio. This is what I would love to see. Our inability to create chances in regular play is concerning. It's great that Danny plays his role, I salute him for it. No slight to Danny, but we need a goal scorer.

trane
05-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Toronto Bhoy, I had said it earlier that I think that Guevara has not capitalized on enough chances. I am not that hard on Robert as he is a winger, and I do not expect him to score as much.I agree with you about Dichio. I only agree with the other side of the argument in that if Danny had pace he could capitalize on more chances.

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Dichio's role is TARGET MAN not STRIKER! What part of this sentence is too difficult to understand? Yes, we need a striker to play with Dichio!!!

Target man

The target man plays his football in the penalty area and acts as a focal point for attacks. They are typically good ‘poachers’ (meaning they are opportunistic) and headers of the ball, but rely on chances made by the midfield.
Notable target men

Ronaldo (http://www.talkfootball.co.uk/guides/football_legends_ronaldo.html) (Brazil)
Gerd Müller (http://www.talkfootball.co.uk/guides/football_legends_gerd_muller.html) (Germany)
Alan Shearer (England)
Drogba is another brilliant target man. dichio does not play his football in the penalty area (as everyone on here has already acknowledged), and often holds the ball up for the midfield (as everyone on here has already acknowledged). he is not a poacher either or he would have more than 2 goals in 8 games

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 10:30 AM
while we are grinding out an unbeaten streak it is hard to be too critical but there are some things to keep in mind. the football we are playing is not easy on the eye (unless you have bhoybobby's eyesight), we don't score enough goals, and some of the draws could have been turned into victories had we a couple players who were more adept at finding the back of the net, and that is where i find fault with dichio. and the whole striker/centre forward argument is pedantic. he is leading our attack, therefore he should be scoring.

i won't argue with you there. in simple terms this is my issue:

dichio is our main attacker yet he has scored 2 in 8. fine he does all these other things (and even then he doesn't do them as well as some people on here seem to think) but if he is doing all these other things then who is going to be scoring the goals?? the team is only scoring slightly over a goal a game. if we want to win the cup or be a top team over the course of a season that needs to be increased ASAP

Hey, you never get points on how you play....a win is 3 ponts no matter what. Teams all over the world have been successful and have made a living off of grind 'em out style, and I think that is what Carver is going for here.
The striker/centre forward thing is a big deal because they do different things....Trezeguet is a striker....Dichio is not. Aside from TFC, I follow Juve and minutes upon minutes will pass without ever hearing Trez's name, then boom, he scores....that's a striker's job. I don't think 3 minutes pass without Dichio getting a touch.
Yeah I don't take offense to what you say man....its the internet, everybody gets a little mouthy....me included :D.
I just don't think Dichio has to be only scoring goals ALL the time, because our system, formation, and surrounding skill doesn't warrant it. I really feel that just because he is the last man up, it doesn't mean all he should do is score. At times we have 3 players attacking near goal all acting the goal scorer.

trane
05-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Target man

The target man plays his football in the penalty area and acts as a focal point for attacks. They are typically good ‘poachers’ (meaning they are opportunistic) and headers of the ball, but rely on chances made by the midfield.
Notable target men

Ronaldo (http://www.talkfootball.co.uk/guides/football_legends_ronaldo.html) (Brazil)
Gerd Müller (http://www.talkfootball.co.uk/guides/football_legends_gerd_muller.html) (Germany)
Alan Shearer (England)
Drogba is another brilliant target man. dichio does not play his football in the penalty area (as everyone on here has already acknowledged), and often holds the ball up for the midfield (as everyone on here has already acknowledged). he is not a poacher either or he would have more than 2 goals in 8 games

Dichio is a poacher- what was the goal last night if not a poacher's goal? His issue, again, is that due to his lack of mobility he cannot get to enough balls in the box to finish.

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't think we need the total package. Far from it. We need a striker with decent size (not hard to find) who can put the ball in the back of the net, period. Dichio is not doing that job good enough regardless of whether he's a striker or CF. End of story.

Fact is, we've scored 5 goals in 5 games. Pathetic if we actually believe we are going to challenge for the playoffs.

Yes, that's fine I was referring to another poster who wanted a striker with size, speed, finishing, shoots lasers out of their hands, etc. :D
Also, we've let in 1 goal in 5 games, which is fucking fantastic for a team challenging for the cup. Many, many successful teams have been of the low scoring, tight defense variety.

If we keep this formation, Dichio is basically lone forward. If we get a better striker either he gets replaced in the starting XI, or a midfielder (Edu) comes out and Guevara pushes back to AM with the striker playing along side Dichio. This is what I would love to see. Our inability to create chances in regular play is concerning. It's great that Danny plays his role, I salute him for it. No slight to Danny, but we need a goal scorer.

Yet he still gets criticized, even though he admittedly plays his role....it just doesn't make sense to me sometimes. But as much as I love Dichio, I've said for a month or so, we now need a DP striker.....in the meantime, Dichio is great for us.

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 10:40 AM
The striker/centre forward thing is a big deal because they do different things....Trezeguet is a striker....Dichio is not. Aside from TFC, I follow Juve and minutes upon minutes will pass without ever hearing Trez's name, then boom, he scores....that's a striker's job. I don't think 3 minutes pass without Dichio getting a touch.
Yeah I don't take offense to what you say man....its the internet, everybody gets a little mouthy....me included :D.
I just don't think Dichio has to be only scoring goals ALL the time, because our system, formation, and surrounding skill doesn't warrant it. I really feel that just because he is the last man up, it doesn't mean all he should do is score. At times we have 3 players attacking near goal all acting the goal scorer.

seeing as how we are comparing players ( and i agree with you) we should look at comparing tore andre flo and norway from the 90s. they also played 4-5-1 very defensive minded like tfc. and flo is very similar to dichio in that they are both tall physical players with not too much skill (to contrast to crouch who has some great ball control for a big man). so everything between the two teams is quite similar, same style, formation, relative skill of the team compared to competing teams, both griding out results, lone attacker very similar. the difference is flo had a great goalscoring rate, dichio doesn't. and again, that is the fault i have with him.

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Dichio is a poacher- what was the goal last night if not a poacher's goal? His issue, again, is that due to his lack of mobility he cannot get to enough balls in the box to finish.

fair enough, he did show great strenght and a poacher's ability, but when i think of poacher i think more of inzhagi. but again, even so, dichio is not a very potent poacher. the other issue is the team play too deep to get enough balls into the box for him regardless of mobility

Toronto_Bhoy
05-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Target man

Notable target men

Alan Shearer (England)

I guess we'll disagree on the definition of "target man"

And I'll respectfully disagree with the four names you chosen as such!

Muller was indeed a poacher but was stocky, powerful and could turn on a dime. He worked the 18 yard box, in fact he owned it and picked up scraps…watch the '72 World Cup…what a player.

Ronaldo and Drogba are…IMO…bonefide strikers in the classic sense…great with the ball at their feet, terrific pace and fantastic goal sense.

And Alan Shearer made his living playing with a "target man"…Chris Sutton…who suprising played like DD. He feed Shearer goal after goal at Blackburn.

All these player lead their teams in scoring…that's what strikers do.

Again I don't see any of these guys as "target men" but I would be curious to see who you would call a striker if these guys aren't?

GaryJamboTFC
05-22-2008, 11:05 AM
I think you should give your head a shake. Our only striker on the field, like Shaughno has said, has mustered up the heroic effort of 5 shots on goal in 8 games. That is a pathetic return. A striker's job is to score. It's actually one of the more simple aspects of the game. And if he's not going to score, he should be setting people up left, right, and centre. He hasn't done that either, as evidenced by our inability to kil opponents off or to score several goals in a game.
I'd much rather have a speedy, dangerous striker scaring defenders than Dichio. I'd rather the defenders were scared of being scored on than scared of getting hurt.

This argument has been done over and over, and I've not just added insults to the discussion. You say you understand what Dichio gives to the team, you just don't appreciate it. The manager is selecting him and this system for a reason. He and Mo are out there looking to bring some more attack to the club (See: the Ameobi discussion) but Carver explicitly says he is happy with having solidified the team, and Dichio's hold-up play is part of that. If Carver thought Cunningham was worth more minutes, he would be on the pitch. And he is not. That says all you need to know about how our undefeated in six coach values what Dichio brings to this setup over what Cunningham brings.

Carver and Johnson are on the lookout for more attack. If this winter taught us anything, it is that the nervous nellies on this board will bitch and bitch about wanting everything faster, and backtrack when the likes of Guevara and Robert are brought. Cue this same exact discussion when another striker is added. In the meantime, Carver is playing a system that gets the most out of the players he values in the setup and is bringing us success with it.

But piss and moan away, it's a free internet.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Toronto Bhoy, I had said it earlier that I think that Guevara has not capitalized on enough chances. I am not that hard on Robert as he is a winger, and I do not expect him to score as much.I agree with you about Dichio. I only agree with the other side of the argument in that if Danny had pace he could capitalize on more chances.

Trane your absolutely right but Danny doesn't have pace…never has. What we need is a striker to play with him. When we aquired Cunningham I thought he would be the guy…but he turned out to be shite.

But if we can find a guy (Jarrod Smith?) to play with Dichio…

Think Chris Sutton with a Henrik Larrson or Alan Shearer!

I'm getting a woody just thinking about it!!!

Toronto_Bhoy
05-22-2008, 11:08 AM
^^Sorry…too much information…

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I
And Alan Shearer made his living playing with a "target man"…Chris Sutton…who suprising played like DD. He feed Shearer goal after goal at Blackburn.

All these player lead their teams in scoring…that's what strikers do.

Again I don't see any of these guys as "target men" but I would be curious to see who you would call a striker if these guys aren't?

EXACTLY. which is why dichio should not be playing alone up front.

striker: ian rush, henry, torres, romario, shevchenko, stoichkov, and just for you larsson - to name a few

trane
05-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Trane your absolutely right but Danny doesn't have pace…never has. What we need is a striker to play with him. When we aquired Cunningham I thought he would be the guy…but he turned out to be shite.

But if we can find a guy (Jarrod Smith?) to play with Dichio…

Think Chris Sutton with a Henrik Larrson or Alan Shearer!

I'm getting a woody just thinking about it!!!

I was thinking the same when Cunny came to TFC, but Cunny is too one dimensional.

trane
05-22-2008, 11:20 AM
fair enough, he did show great strenght and a poacher's ability, but when i think of poacher i think more of inzhagi. but again, even so, dichio is not a very potent poacher. the other issue is the team play too deep to get enough balls into the box for him regardless of mobility

Funny, but Inzaghi is exactly the guy I think about when I think of Dichio. A poacher with soccer IQ. Dichio is clearly more physical. But Inzaghi while not fast is mobile. [ Clearly I do not think is as good as Inzaghi, Serie A and the MLS are still miles away from this other]

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Funny, but Inzaghi is exactly the guy I think about when I think of Dichio. A poacher with soccer IQ. Dichio is clearly more physical. But Inzaghi while not fast is mobile. [ Clearly I do not think is as good as Inzaghi, Serie A and the MLS are still miles away from this other]

actually that is the problem i have when i am being overly critical of the team, i keep forgetting what level it actually is.

but i wouldn't think of dichio when i think of inzhagi. for one inzhagi is one of the biggest diving moaning pussies around, while dichio has some integrity.

to me, the higher level version of dichio is hakan sukur

Stugatzo
05-22-2008, 11:25 AM
I think Dichio is all heart and spirit. His play last night was mostly solid with a couple of poor touches. I'm thinking that like last year when his first goal meant a turning of the corner for him as a player, last night's performance will inspire him to greatness for the rest of this season. No disrespect to Sutton or Guevera (who played very well), Dichio was man of the match last night for sure.

trane
05-22-2008, 11:26 AM
actually that is the problem i have when i am being overly critical of the team, i keep forgetting what level it actually is.

but i wouldn't think of dichio when i think of inzhagi. for one inzhagi is one of the biggest diving moaning pussies around, while dichio has some integrity.

to me, the higher level version of dichio is hakan sukur

Hey, not only am I Italian but I am a Milanista, so I love Pippo. But I will not say that he does not dive. :noidea:

Toronto_Bhoy
05-22-2008, 11:27 AM
EXACTLY. which is why dichio should not be playing alone up front.

striker: ian rush, henry, torres, romario, shevchenko, stoichkov, and just for you larsson - to name a few

But until we get that striker, we are going to continue to play 5 in the middle and those guys have to link up with Danny! We have no deepth up front…Danny is all we have and we're unbeaten in six!!!

If Cunningham was on the field he'd be running away from our midfield!

Yep, can't argue with those strikers…

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 11:29 AM
seeing as how we are comparing players ( and i agree with you) we should look at comparing tore andre flo and norway from the 90s. they also played 4-5-1 very defensive minded like tfc. and flo is very similar to dichio in that they are both tall physical players with not too much skill (to contrast to crouch who has some great ball control for a big man). so everything between the two teams is quite similar, same style, formation, relative skill of the team compared to competing teams, both griding out results, lone attacker very similar. the difference is flo had a great goalscoring rate, dichio doesn't. and again, that is the fault i have with him.

Right so Dichio has scored 8 goals in 25 total appearances for TFC (0.32 gpg)...Flo made 76 appearances for Norway scoring 23 goals (0.30 gpg), which is actually LESS than Dichio's rate, so what's the problem? Also, please keep in mind, Dichio is putting up these numbers at 33 years of age. I think the ONLY knock on Dichio can be his age, BUT he still produces (in ALL facets of the game) big time, considering.

Keyman
05-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Sick!
We're actually having some footy discussion on here!

I stick by what I said earlier, and have been saying since the start of the season. Danny Dichio is a very good CF. His ability to knock down balls, control the pace of play, and cause havoc for defenders, is quite good. However a good CF does not make a good striker. A strikers job is to continually put the ball in the back of the net, and Danny cannot do that. He lacks the pace that we need for our striker, he lacks the on ball ability, and he lacks the finishers touch, that we so deperately need. We need to have someone in front of Guevara, who he can link up with up front. We are basically taking away one of Guevara's best attributes, his playmaking ability, with Danny up front. Why take away one of our biggest threats? We're basically taking away 50% of Amado's game at this point in time, making him a one dimensional player.

Dichio either needs to play next to a finisher, or simply, has to sit. If we are going to continue to play with a lone striker up front, and five players in the midfield, then Danny has no place in the formation. He is not the correct player to play as a lone striker in this formation.

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 11:31 AM
I was thinking the same when Cunny came to TFC, but Cunny is too one dimensional.

Yes, and that dimension is called shite......he can stick his 97 goals up his lazy fucking ass!

Loyal
05-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Our "offence" as presently constituted is virtually "non existent".

Enough said!

bdrs
05-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I think he was fuelled by the English weather we had!

bdrs
05-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Yes, and that dimension is called shite......he can stick his 97 goals up his lazy fucking ass!

He played back alot today at the reserve game.

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Right so Dichio has scored 8 goals in 25 total appearances for TFC (0.32 gpg)...Flo made 76 appearances for Norway scoring 23 goals (0.30 gpg), which is actually LESS than Dichio's rate, so what's the problem? Also, please keep in mind, Dichio is putting up these numbers at 33 years of age. I think the ONLY knock on Dichio can be his age, BUT he still produces (in ALL facets of the game) big time, considering.

lol i knew that fact was gonna be brought up, but i was more emphasizing the fact that early in his career (which is why i mentioned 90s) he was a more prolific goal scorer. the norwegian motto was kick it long to flo to score, and it was quite effective, although hard on the eyes

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Danny Dichio is a very good CF. His ability to knock down balls, control the pace of play, and cause havoc for defenders, is quite good. However a good CF does not make a good striker. A strikers job is to continually put the ball in the back of the net, and Danny cannot do that. He lacks the pace that we need for our striker, he lacks the on ball ability, and he lacks the finishers touch, that we so deperately need. We need to have someone in front of Guevara, who he can link up with up front. We are basically taking away one of Guevara's best attributes, his playmaking ability, with Danny up front. Why take away one of our biggest threats? We're basically taking away 50% of Amado's game at this point in time, making him a one dimensional player.

Oh boy....it seems a lot of you are faulting Dichio for not having pace, but you cannot fault somebody for a god given talent...you can't teach pace. Dichio is doing the best with his own skillset, and has done a fucking brilliant job in his time here with that skillset, in his centre forward position. As far as "taking away of Guevara's abilities" goes, well Dichio has great football IQ, we see it all the time on the pitch and you can't take that away from him. Knowing where a teammate will pass is just as important as the teammate making that pass, something I think will be of equal or lesser value with another player...certainly less with Cunningham.

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 11:46 AM
. We need to have someone in front of Guevara, who he can link up with up front. We are basically taking away one of Guevara's best attributes, his playmaking ability, with Danny up front. Why take away one of our biggest threats? We're basically taking away 50% of Amado's game at this point in time, making him a one dimensional player.

Dichio either needs to play next to a finisher, or simply, has to sit. If we are going to continue to play with a lone striker up front, and five players in the midfield, then Danny has no place in the formation. He is not the correct player to play as a lone striker in this formation.

i agree and that is where most of my frustration comes from. you can see the potential for some great plays but they fizzle out because dichio is the only option and he is limited

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 11:53 AM
lol i knew that fact was gonna be brought up, but i was more emphasizing the fact that early in his career (which is why i mentioned 90s) he was a more prolific goal scorer. the norwegian motto was kick it long to flo to score, and it was quite effective, although hard on the eyes

When? Early in his career? I hope we're not going to compare strike rates of a player who was up and coming in the Norwegian league with that of one who is on the downside of his in MLS. Even with Chelsea, Flo was still scoring less that 1 in 3. And the reason why I brought up the gpg ration is because you specifically said Flo had a great scoring rate, while Dichio didn't. That's not really the case.
That was their motto? Hmmm, reminds me of a cretain team we cheer for here...:D

Keyman
05-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Oh boy....it seems a lot of you are faulting Dichio for not having pace, but you cannot fault somebody for a god given talent...you can't teach pace. Dichio is doing the best with his own skillset, and has done a fucking brilliant job in his time here with that skillset, in his centre forward position. As far as "taking away of Guevara's abilities" goes, well Dichio has great football IQ, we see it all the time on the pitch and you can't take that away from him. Knowing where a teammate will pass is just as important as the teammate making that pass, something I think will be of equal or lesser value with another player...certainly less with Cunningham.

Dude, you're digging yourself deeper and deeper.
You're not even defending Dichio here.
You took one thing I said, out of three. I'm saying Danny Dichio is not a striker, which is what we need up front. Not a CF as a lone striker, it doesn't work with this formation.

And bringing up his football IQ as a reason to keep him in front of Guevara, well. No.
Read any post I've made about Danny, his football IQ does not make up for his shortcomings in other areas.

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 12:01 PM

When? Early in his career? I hope we're not going to compare strike rates of a player who was up and coming in the Norwegian league with that of one who is on the downside of his in MLS. Even with Chelsea, Flo was still scoring less that 1 in 3. And the reason why I brought up the gpg ration is because you specifically said Flo had a great scoring rate, while Dichio didn't. That's not really the case.
That was their motto? Hmmm, reminds me of a cretain team we cheer for here...:D

ok, in this case i don't think i am doing a good job of trying to make my point. the point i was trying to make was to show what an effective goalscorer can do when playing in a 4-5-1 and in that eg i had i picked flo early in his career. i was not trying to compare a young flo to an old dichio as a means to criticize dichio. i just felt that flo and dichio are similar players and back then flo was playing in a virtually identical style, and i was trying to show that depsite the 4-5-1 it is possible to play that and have someone who can score goals. i am not really disputing the fact that dichio is the best we have at the moment, just trying to show that there can be ways to score more than 2 goals in 8 games despite playing 4-5-1

Torcida
05-22-2008, 12:01 PM
There are 86,400 seconds in a day. 2/86400 you do the math. Dichio has scored 8 goals in 21 starts for TFC. How does this compare?

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Dude, you're digging yourself deeper and deeper.
You're not even defending Dichio here.
You took one thing I said, out of three. I'm saying Danny Dichio is not a striker, which is what we need up front. Not a CF as a lone striker, it doesn't work with this formation.

And bringing up his football IQ as a reason to keep him in front of Guevara, well. No.
Read any post I've made about Danny, his football IQ does not make up for his shortcomings in other areas.

Actually, yes. You can have all the speed in the world, but if you don't even have the first clue as to where your midfielder will place the ball, its no good. I'd rather have a slower player who plays well with others (Dichio) then a speedster with no football sense.
By the way....can you please give me an example of a striker you would like here (be reasonable).

Torcida
05-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Actually, yes. You can have all the speed in the world, but if you don't even have the first clue as to where your midfielder will place the ball, its no good. I'd rather have a slower player who plays well with others (Dichio) then a speedster with no football sense.
By the way....can you please give me an example of a striker you would like here (be reasonable).
Which is exactly why Cunningham has looked useless this season. Noone would argue he lacks pace.

trane
05-22-2008, 12:05 PM
There are 86,400 seconds in a day. 2/86400 you do the math. Dichio has scored 8 goals in 21 starts for TFC. How does this compare?

That is the thing while I understand were some of ant-Dichio sentiment comes from, and at the end of the day his strike rate is good. That is the bottom line for a striker. What is Lombardo's strike rate?

Keyman
05-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Wait are we talking about Dichio vs. Cunny here?
Because that sounds like a description of Cunny lol

And I'm not saying that football IQ is not important. I'm saying that Danny's football IQ does not make him the type of player that we need to play his position.

And honestly, I haven't been thinking about possible strikers. It's tough to know who is really available from overseas.

joelakeshore
05-22-2008, 12:31 PM
I think the whole DD discussion, while interesting, is ultimately pretty pointless. He's our best option in the formation we play (and, I think most people agree, our best forward)- which has taken us beyond our early expectations for this season. Carver has made it absolutely clear he's looking for a better forward- so until we land that forward, DD is the best we've got- end of story. For these reasons and more, let's just get past whatever his faults may be, get behind him and debate more reasonable points.

Shaughno
05-22-2008, 12:32 PM
I think the whole DD discussion, while interesting, is ultimately pretty pointless. He's our best option in the formation we play (and, I think most people agree, our best forward)- which has taken us beyond our early expectations for this season. Carver has made it absolutely clear he's looking for a better forward- so until we land that forward, DD is the best we've got- end of story. For these reasons and more, let's just get past whatever his faults may be, get behind him and debate more reasonable points.

:D Bang on.

Keyman
05-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Can't argue with that:thumbsup:

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 01:31 PM

Spot on. While not the best forward in the world, he is by far the best we have right now and our hometown hero! :):)

Wait are we talking about Dichio vs. Cunny here?
Because that sounds like a description of Cunny lol

And I'm not saying that football IQ is not important. I'm saying that Danny's football IQ does not make him the type of player that we need to play his position.

And honestly, I haven't been thinking about possible strikers. It's tough to know who is really available from overseas.

lol...no I was just comparing what we have at the moment. What do you mean by your second point? Because for me, I think that Dichio's IQ is what makes him great for our team. Having the foresight to know what is going to happen next is exactly what you need when playing with a skilled player like Guevara.

And for your last point, awww man you're disappointing me a little now :D...how can you make a statement and not know an alternative to it. You say Dichio is not the man for our team, but offer no answer for him. Ya gotta have back up, man!

trane
05-22-2008, 01:38 PM

Hate to jump on the band wagon but I agree.

Milton_Arab
05-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Hate to jump on the band wagon but I agree.

me too. but this was the best debate i've been in for a while. what are we gonna debate now?? lol

trane
05-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah, it is good to acctually talk footy, and with people who understand soccer, while they may disagree. It has been all to little of that on the board latley.

Shaughno
05-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I'd much rather debate about current player situations then the majority of the bullshit that has been tossed around in the recent past. :)

Keyman
05-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Spot on. While not the best forward in the world, he is by far the best we have right now and our hometown hero! :):)

lol...no I was just comparing what we have at the moment. What do you mean by your second point? Because for me, I think that Dichio's IQ is what makes him great for our team. Having the foresight to know what is going to happen next is exactly what you need when playing with a skilled player like Guevara.

And for your last point, awww man you're disappointing me a little now :D...how can you make a statement and not know an alternative to it. You say Dichio is not the man for our team, but offer no answer for him. Ya gotta have back up, man!

Sorry man, I'm writing an essay right now. If I wasn't, I could probably think of some names. But I think I've made my point pretty clear already, if you think Danny Dichio is our saviour up front, then I think you're mistaken. I'm tired of restating why though, so maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree, because you seem to think he's fine for us until the end of the season.

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Sorry man, I'm writing an essay right now. If I wasn't, I could probably think of some names. But I think I've made my point pretty clear already, if you think Danny Dichio is our saviour up front, then I think you're mistaken. I'm tired of restating why though, so maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree, because you seem to think he's fine for us until the end of the season.

No, it's quite obvious you're not reading what I post. I said he's by far the best we have RIGHT NOW, meaninng currently on our roster at this moment....in the future, as in a month or two, or three, or yes even tomorrow (that's still the future, ya know?) a DP striker would be more than welcome by me and by many of us.

TFC Tifoso
05-22-2008, 03:32 PM
[quote=TFC Tifoso;14402]

ok, in this case i don't think i am doing a good job of trying to make my point. the point i was trying to make was to show what an effective goalscorer can do when playing in a 4-5-1 and in that eg i had i picked flo early in his career. i was not trying to compare a young flo to an old dichio as a means to criticize dichio. i just felt that flo and dichio are similar players and back then flo was playing in a virtually identical style, and i was trying to show that depsite the 4-5-1 it is possible to play that and have someone who can score goals. i am not really disputing the fact that dichio is the best we have at the moment, just trying to show that there can be ways to score more than 2 goals in 8 games despite playing 4-5-1

I hear ya, and agree that both Flo and Dichio are a similar player. Buuuut their similar strike rates show they may be a smaller gap between them in a 4-5-1 then previously though. You're right, 1 in 4 is not exceptional at all, but Dichio has shown he can be better than that. Say for instance, he scores a couple on Saturday, then all of a sudden 2 in 8 becomes 4 or 5 in 9, which is exceptional. How about we give the big man another month, then judge his strike rate.

Draracle
05-22-2008, 05:31 PM
my 2 cents. DD is great with the gritty play, great at taking out the trash, but we would have beat the Bull Shits and the Crew if we had a more creative striker. Robert and Ricketts need a creative outlet. And Guevara can only play the give and go off Dichio so many times before it becomes obvious.

Dichio will always have a place on this team. So far all signs point to him starting his post-player career with TFC. And in tight chippy games, like last night, we need a guy who can push people around while dodging the cards.

stugautz
05-22-2008, 05:37 PM
I love this pic, he shows such great emotion, he is such a warrior, never gives up and fights to the finish.

Why does it look like Dichio is about to get his balls grabbed by Ricketts?

king10
05-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Why does it look like Dichio is about to get his balls grabbed by Ricketts?

i was also thinking the same thing

GuelphStorm2007
05-22-2008, 08:29 PM
I think that was the best all around play from Dichio I have seen since he has been at TFC. And good for him . I still think he is better as a substitute.

RealG-TFC
05-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Bring back the Fast and the Furious! At least for one game!

Corcai
05-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Wow. Imagine if we lost this one 4-0. Milton Arab while I see some of your points I would still like to tell you to GFY. Shaugno same for you.

Milton_Arab
05-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Wow. Imagine if we lost this one 4-0. Milton Arab while I see some of your points I would still like to tell you to GFY. Shaugno same for you.

lol ok cool guy. everyone watch out for cyberwarrior here. why don't you try raising some points to back up your thoughts? or is it just easier to be a tough guy? all you've done is again back up my believe that dichio nuthuggers have no points to back up their nuthugging, which is why they resort to insults as they lack the intelligence to properly understand the game.

Alarius
05-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Could we use the 4-4-1-1 formation with Guevara playing striker behind Dichio?

I checked online for an explanation and found this one on BBC's website
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4197708.stm

TFC Tifoso
05-23-2008, 11:59 AM
lol ok cool guy. everyone watch out for cyberwarrior here. why don't you try raising some points to back up your thoughts? or is it just easier to be a tough guy? all you've done is again back up my believe that dichio nuthuggers have no points to back up their nuthugging, which is why they resort to insults as they lack the intelligence to properly understand the game.

Damnit I got shit all day from my boss yesterday going back and forth with you! :D

TFC Tifoso
05-23-2008, 12:00 PM
I think that was the best all around play from Dichio I have seen since he has been at TFC. And good for him . I still think he is better as a substitute.

so who would you rather start?

Milton_Arab
05-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Damnit I got shit all day from my boss yesterday going back and forth with you! :D

lol sorry about that! if it's any consolation i enjoyed debating with someone who actually understands the game!

TFC Tifoso
05-23-2008, 12:58 PM
lol sorry about that! if it's any consolation i enjoyed debating with someone who actually understands the game!

yes, yes a small consolation :D...but that is a good assumption of nuthuggers all over the place...not just for Dichio.

I quite enjoyed the debating myself. :)

etro
05-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but just read that Dichio has minor groin injury.

Milton_Arab
05-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but just read that Dichio has minor groin injury.

even the great man himself can't handle all the nughuggers eh?..

sorry, bad joke.

TFC Tifoso
05-23-2008, 02:00 PM

Considering the size of Dichio's "testicular fortitude" and tolerance for pain, a minor groin injury to him would literally cripple a mere mortal! :D:p

colman1860
05-23-2008, 04:50 PM
he doesn't play so how could he bring something to the team...other then 96 MLS goals!!!

Cunningham has not brough 96 mls goals to the team, hes brought 4. As well as countless missed breakaways, endless offside calls, and a whole lot of sulking. useless twat.

Rawkus_420
05-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Considering the size of Dichio's "testicular fortitude" and tolerance for pain, a minor groin injury to him would literally cripple a mere mortal! :D:p

QFT:sheep:

I just wanted to try that one....is that a smiley face , fucking a sheep in the ass.

TFC Tifoso
05-23-2008, 07:21 PM
QFT:sheep:

I just wanted to try that one....is that a smiley face , fucking a sheep in the ass.

hahaha...I don't know, sure looks like it.
Anyways, that news is all wrong, Dichio doesn't get injuries of the groin or anywhere. He simply chooses to shut down certain parts of his body at times in order to bring himself down to the level of competition.....it's true.:D

masrawy
05-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Anyways, that news is all wrong, Dichio doesn't get injuries of the groin or anywhere. He simply chooses to shut down certain parts of his body at times in order to bring himself down to the level of competition.....it's true.:D

So what you're saying is Dichio never has to use a jimmy hat?

:canada: < Danny Dichio in front of 127 after the goal.

TFC Tifoso
05-23-2008, 07:34 PM
So what you're saying is Dichio never has to use a jimmy hat?

:canada: < Danny Dichio in front of 127 after the goal.

No, but that's because Danny Dichio can impregante a woman from across the room by simply staring directly into her eyes...he has sex with them just to keep himself busy while doing push-ups...its true. :hump:

And yes, that celebration in front of 127 was fucking awesome!

flatpicker
05-23-2008, 07:49 PM

I think that is the source of Dichio's groin injury.

bhoybobby
05-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Don't know if this has been posted or not, but, DANNY DICHIO is our strikeforce. Taxi for RR's the great pretender.

FluSH
05-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Once again:

DICHIO IS A MONSTER

ExiledRed
05-27-2008, 12:34 PM
HE's fucking magic, and his passing accuracy is sublime.

Every one of his goals is brilliant, and the amount of times he is able to produce goals that look like flukes, only proves that theyre not flukes at all.

The goal against columbus last year and his second against DC on Wednesday show that when he is facing the goal he is just as capable of passing that ball into the net as he is at passing it to a teammates feet with a single touch.

The last goal of the season against the revs last year, should have confirmed his worth in this league to everybody. Nobody deserves his spot on TFC more than Dichio does, not Robert, not Guevara not even Jimmy Brennan to be perfectly honest, and that will remain true even if we do find a DP striker.

Dozitwin
05-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Jesus what more does this guy have do for some of you people. I keep hearing that he can't hack it as our lone striker yet he's scored 3x in 2 games and has 4 on the season, by the way that's more than Guevara and Robert have scored combined. For christ sake cut him a little slack, he's definately not underperfroming our there. Dichio is fuckin brilliant.

TFC Tifoso
05-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooh Danny Dichioooooooooo...

Northern Soul
05-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Now if only we had someone with the skill and toughness of Dichio with the pace of Cunny. Sigh.

I'm actually happy with Danny, but am worried about the lack of options behind him should he *gasp* go down with injury.

TFC Tifoso
05-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Now if only we had someone with the skill and toughness of Dichio with the pace of Cunny. Sigh.

I'm actually happy with Danny, but am worried about the lack of options behind him should he *gasp* go down with injury.

See bolded section below...

bhoybobby
05-27-2008, 03:34 PM

They don't make them like that anymore & anything close would cost $$millions.

Danny'll do just fine.:D

trane
05-27-2008, 03:35 PM
HE's fucking magic, and his passing accuracy is sublime.

Every one of his goals is brilliant, and the amount of times he is able to produce goals that look like flukes, only proves that theyre not flukes at all.

The goal against columbus last year and his second against DC on Wednesday show that when he is facing the goal he is just as capable of passing that ball into the net as he is at passing it to a teammates feet with a single touch.

The last goal of the season against the revs last year, should have confirmed his worth in this league to everybody. Nobody deserves his spot on TFC more than Dichio does, not Robert, not Guevara not even Jimmy Brennan to be perfectly honest, and that will remain true even if we do find a DP striker.

Agreed.