PDA

View Full Version : Michael Owen - Are we in the running? (pure speculation)

James Oliphant
11-08-2008, 10:49 AM
In January 2009, Michael Owen is free to move away from St. James' Park. A number of teams are rumoured to be interested in him, most prominently Chelsea.

Are we in the running for the 28-year-old striker? Should we be?

Owen has recently fallen out of favour with England manager Fabio Capello, who's recently been running a 4-5-1 with Wayne Rooney as the lone striker, so a move away from England isn't entirely off the books.

For the right offer, would he consider moving here? We do have the Magpies connection, after all...though Owen never played under Carver (who left Newcastle the year before Owen arrived).

As I see it, he's scored nearly one goal in every two games he plays in arguably the top 2 leagues in the world (and at the international level). And he's 28...hardly over-the-hill. There are at least 4 or 5 years left in those legs if he stays healthy.

This is the kind of player we've been begging for as a DP, isn't it? Someone who's prolific and who isn't considered "old" by football standards.

So really, I have two questions for you.

1. Should we throw our names into the Michael Owen lottery hat?
2. Would he even consider a move to Toronto?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-08-2008, 10:51 AM
An answer in one word:
No.

James Oliphant
11-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Very insightful.

Roogsy
11-08-2008, 10:56 AM
With his history of injuries, coming to BMO Field would have to be a real objection that I don't think can be overcome.

Healthy players are turning us down. Injury-prone players must be frightened out of their socks to come here.

H Bomb
11-08-2008, 10:56 AM
There are few players in the world I'd take over Owen. He's a top level goal scorer and has been cosistently for a decade, without any real dips in form. The problem with Owen is injuries and while the MLS would give him less overall wear and tear, the field turf would make this deal an impossibility. We would have to pay him a high level DP salary as well but that's neither here nor there. I'd love it, it wont happen.

jrey
11-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Even if he has fallen out of favour with Capello - he won't give up on that and make the situation worse by coming to North America. Look at what Capello said about Becks playing here.

Fieldturf would have to become grass and salary would need to be astonomical before he would even consider this.

My answer in five words: not a chance in hell.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-08-2008, 11:18 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thats not to mention that there are prob quite a few premier league teams, and im sure a ton of championship teams that would sign him given the chance

Damien
11-08-2008, 11:41 AM
The England squad has younger and better strikers for years to come. Owen will be a bench/sub at best.

It's a long shot but Owen would look phenomenal in a TFC shirt!

CretanBull
11-08-2008, 11:52 AM
England will play 4-4-2...in the last game Capello went with 4-5-1 and they didn't score in the first half. In the second half he went back to 4-4-2 and they scored 5 goals. I don't know if Owen will be Rooney's strike partner (Dafoe has played well this season) but there will be more opportunities for strikers to play for England.

TFC USA
11-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Stop it. Why is every washed up/oft-injured European automatically a TFC possibility?

No, don't get him.

TFC OZZ
11-08-2008, 12:37 PM
He's a TFC possibility because of his strong connection with Carver, and the fact that his salary runs out at the end of the season.

To say that you don't want Michael Owen is possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Having said that, I agree that there is little to no possibility of him coming here in the near future because he's still got a lot left, although he's not starting on the England National team, he's on the cusp, and an increase in form will likely return him to their ranks.

Roogsy
11-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Stop it. Why is every washed up/oft-injured European automatically a TFC possibility?

No, don't get him.

Because up and coming stars are out of the question.

rocker
11-08-2008, 12:38 PM
i find it funny how people are always crying for a DP, and then when a guy who has 152 goals in 300 games at the highest levels, it's like "NO!"

give me a break. TFC would be LUCKY to get Michael Owen. the type of player we're gonna get as a DP in no way will be 28 years old with almost 200 goals in 400 games at the highest levels.

the injury thing is a red herring. Field turf doesn't cause more injuries than grass (look up the scientific studies for factual proof), and they could just have a grass practice field somewhere or do what San jose did -- don't have the guy practice on fieldturf, if the "fieldturf superstition" is a problem getting him over here. Plus, Paul Winsper seemed to do a pretty damn good job.

ACSertL
11-08-2008, 01:05 PM
My old boss (being a footy fan since birth) said to me one day:

"One day Michael Owen will be in a TFC shirt. I don't know exactly when but he'll be here."

I liked the idea then and I like the idea now. I am not one to speculate on the possibility of it happening but if this is at all a possibility I think the team would do well to explore any and all options in regards to Michael Owen. Oh and Ricketts might get a bit of a payday out of him when he comes to claim his #10 :)

Roogsy
11-08-2008, 01:08 PM
i find it funny how people are always crying for a DP, and then when a guy who has 152 goals in 300 games at the highest levels, it's like "NO!"

give me a break. TFC would be LUCKY to get Michael Owen. the type of player we're gonna get as a DP in no way will be 28 years old with almost 200 goals in 400 games at the highest levels.

the injury thing is a red herring. Field turf doesn't cause more injuries than grass (look up the scientific studies for factual proof), and they could just have a grass practice field somewhere or do what San jose did -- don't have the guy practice on fieldturf, if the "fieldturf superstition" is a problem getting him over here. Plus, Paul Winsper seemed to do a pretty damn good job.

Lots of ifs in there amigo...at the end of the day whether or not footballers perception of field turf is justified or not, they are not changing their minds.

That being said, I would love to see Owen over here. However, we'd have to pay some good coin for him. I wonder if perhaps there is more judicious use of that kind of money on someone who may not be as injury prone?

BuSaPuNk
11-08-2008, 01:44 PM
I think it is probable. With Carvers Newcastle connection there may be a chance to land Owen. He would be great to come over here and play for TFC. I would love to see it. Injurys would be my main concern when it comes to him. He would look great in the jersey though.

FluSH
11-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Michael Owen has been one of my favourite players since I can remember... I would die and go to heaven if this was true!

TFCREDNWHITE
11-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Lets see....

1) We would need to get grass in order for Owen to say "yes".

2) We would need to pay him somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 million a year, which is fine by me.

3) Also he would probably be looking for additional marketing/sponsership opportunities on top of the salary.

If we can "show him the money" then i don't see any reason why he would say no. Remember one thing, CASH IS KING! Money Talks and Money Walks.

We all know that if Owen stays in the Premiership that he is going to get injured big time AGAIN!, you can put money on that!.

YEAY! alright so....We're getting Owen!!! SWEET BABY JESUS!

Chevy
11-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Del Piero's 2 Goals vs. Real Madrid = Time to Start a New DP Rumour.

The Kingpin
11-08-2008, 02:35 PM

No, don't get him.

:rolleyes:

graeme117
11-08-2008, 02:38 PM
serious? this would blow my mind if it happened. but it wont. why would you come here when you can be playing in the champion's league? goodness knows rafa has tossed liverpool into the hat, and a return to anfield would always be welcome by the kop. chelsea are also 'chasing' him and the magpies seem like they might want to keep him. no way this will happen

jabbronies
11-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Michael Owen has been one of my favourite players since I can remember... I would die and go to heaven if this was true!

I'm a huge Owen fan myself. I bought my boots because it's the kind that he wears!!!

If he does come here, I only see it being for a year to regain his form before heading back to England. And that year would have to be the one coming up and then head back to England before the WC team is selected and starts.

The advantage for him coming here would be he would be in season form for the Summer qualifiers. And if he's doing well enough, Capello would definatly get him on the squad. He's got Paul Winsper and John Carver here and those two guys could be the keys he needs to becoming the force he once was both physically and mentally.

James Oliphant
11-08-2008, 03:30 PM
no way this will happen

Realistic or not, should we not at least make it known that we want to land a big-name player? One who still has the potential to play at some of the top clubs in the game?

Shouldn't we at least put a serious bid in with his agent? It might be chasing rainbows, but at least it'd show that Mo's serious about bringing in top talent.

And Chevy, let me be clear...I am in no way starting a rumour here. I'm simply asking people to speculate on the possibility of TFC chasing a player like Owen.

That said, if we do end up getting Owen, I'm taking full credit for starting the rumour mill turning. ;)

Dirk Diggler
11-08-2008, 04:22 PM
I thought chasing Shola Ameobi was too ambitious for TFC ... Owen is no doubt beyond our reach. There is no way he'll come here for anything less than twice the amount of money anyone else is willing to offer him in Europe.

Should we make him an offer? No doubt in my mind. He's exactly the kind of player we absolutely NEED.

Fergy
11-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Owen is only free to leave like any other player in january - he isnt out of contract so is not available on a free - so if chelski are rumoured to pay 5m uk for him thats at least $10m can transfer fee plus if he is on 100,000 grand a week uk at newcastle thats over $10,000,000m canadian a year salary! i think that pretty much ends that possibility.

Shakes McQueen
11-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Will not happen.

- Scott

graeme117
11-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Realistic or not, should we not at least make it known that we want to land a big-name player? One who still has the potential to play at some of the top clubs in the game?

Shouldn't we at least put a serious bid in with his agent? It might be chasing rainbows, but at least it'd show that Mo's serious about bringing in top talent.

And Chevy, let me be clear...I am in no way starting a rumour here. I'm simply asking people to speculate on the possibility of TFC chasing a player like Owen.

That said, if we do end up getting Owen, I'm taking full credit for starting the rumour mill turning. ;)

no doubt we should chase quality players, but i still stand by my bleak assessment :D

TheRenter
11-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Del Piero's 2 Goals vs. Real Madrid = Time to Start a New DP Rumour.

lol...that being the operative word. pure speculation huh!?...i think that goes without saying on this board :D

however, not to be a total douche, i will offer my opinion only to say that i would welcome a player of his status here as our DP..for whatever reason, i feel that he would be a good fit here in T.O.

peace

Brooker
11-09-2008, 02:16 AM

No, don't get him.

washed up? come on man.... have u seen him this year?

$$$ is why we wont get him. plus i doubt he'd want to play on turf. i can see the injuries happening.

jloome
11-09-2008, 02:40 AM
Actually, his present salary is 165,000 pounds a week, which is about $300,000. Per week. And chelsea is apparently interested at 6.5 million pounds in the new year.

He's not coming to MLS anytime soon. No one can afford the wage without a beckham-esque $200M in guaranteed endorsements, which given his injury record and relative lack of public persona (relative to Beckham, that is) that would never happen.

Keystone FC
11-09-2008, 03:40 AM
I really wouldn't mind Owen coming to TFC. With his touch and the decent midfield we have TFC could turn some ties we had this past season into wins. Our backline needs readjusted (moving Wynne to mid back for possible attacks on the net) and retooled but we have a draft coming up and I'm sure we can pick up some talent from there. This may be Dichio's last season so we need to look into getting an experienced (under 30 years of age and moody free if possible) striker to help the younglings advance.
I say bring in Owen if possible.

Shakes McQueen
11-09-2008, 05:17 AM
I will eat a soaking wet ten gallon hat if Michael Owen comes to TFC.

I'd love for him to come, but I really think that's setting our sights a little too high.

- Scott

Derko
11-09-2008, 09:21 AM

No, don't get him.

I wouldn't call Owen washed up, Injury prone,yes, but not washed up, that is really an insult to anyone's intelligence.

No he won't come to Toronto, be realistic folks!!

Stouffville_RPB
11-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Not going to happen but would love if it did. He is the kind of player that we need. If you had the chance to play for one of the top clubs in the world or TFC you wouldn't come here either. It would do the club good to at least make an offer though, the worst they can do is decline.

jabbronies
11-10-2008, 09:44 AM
He's not coming to MLS anytime soon. No one can afford the wage without a beckham-esque $200M in guaranteed endorsements, which given his injury record and relative lack of public persona (relative to Beckham, that is) that would never happen.

I'm pretty sure the money to pay him can be found one way or another. The problem with him coming here is that it's a step in the wrong direction for him. he needs to step up to a big team like Chelsea in order to get on the WC team. not step back into oblivion.

Hitcho
11-10-2008, 09:58 AM
This is insane. There's "hypothetical" and then there's just plain stupidity.

Why in the name of fuck would Owen come here when he could take his pick out of just about any club in Europe next season on a Bosman? He's still in the world's footballing elite, and TFC are in a mickey mouse league with a plastic pitch.

I'm all for TFC showing some ambition but wake up and face reality... :rolleyes5:

True Blue
11-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Now that I'm done laughing; no. All this speculation over the likes of Owen, Ronaldo, Kaka, Ballack, and all other footballers on that level coming to Toronto, or MLS in general, is beyond ridiculous. That exodus of world-class players from Europe to NA in the wake of the Beckham signing didn't materialize, and it never will, so it's time to let the dream go. Becks heading over here had nothing to do with any rise of football on this side of the pond, but rather the fact that his career peaked the better part of a decade ago, and Posh wanted to be in LA to further her own career. That said, MLS will follow the legacy of its predecessors, and simply be a dumping ground for European has-beens and impending retirees. In fact, I would prefer we didn't sign these individuals, as they're just celebrities, and have little use when it comes to the game. Why pay millions for some arthritic cripple when, for the same price, we could pick up a few younger talents who get the job done without the publicity?

Sorry to be so negative on this matter, but a player possessing the abilities and status of Owen will not now, nor ever, come to Toronto, or anywhere else in MLS. Any number of top-flight teams from across Europe would be tripping over themselves to pick him up if he decides to abandon the sinking ship that is Newcastle. With that in mind, do you think he would really opt to head somewhere where football has largely been relegated to soccer moms and stupid jokes on late-night television?

Hitcho
11-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Plus, Owen is notorious for being a mercenary. It's all about the money for him, and his precious England goals record (which comically enough now looks tobe on the skids udner Capello :D). So there's no way he'd consider coming here because A) no matter what happens at the BOD meeting today TFC will never be able to match top level European wages, and B) what's left of his England career is dead and buried if he's not at the top table of football every week.

giambac
11-10-2008, 11:28 AM
There are few players in the world I'd take over Owen. He's a top level goal scorer and has been cosistently for a decade, without any real dips in form. The problem with Owen is injuries and while the MLS would give him less overall wear and tear, the field turf would make this deal an impossibility. We would have to pay him a high level DP salary as well but that's neither here nor there. I'd love it, it wont happen.

:drinking::eek: Ypour kidding right. he may be a top level scorer in your eyes for an English player but then that's not saying much now is it?

tfcleeds
11-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Yes we need a DP, and it certainly doesn't hurt aiming a little higher when it comes to procuring one. However, suggesting a player like Owen would come here right now at this stage of his career smacks of delusion. The fact is, TFC currently ranks alongside clubs like Burnley when it comes to being on the radar of the top players in Europe.

It would be a major accomplishment to even get a player of Owen's stature under the age of 30 to even consider MLS. Then, getting them to consider Toronto rather than say LA or New York is that much tougher.

Hitcho
11-10-2008, 11:34 AM
:drinking::eek: Ypour kidding right. he may be a top level scorer in your eyes for an English player but then that's not saying much now is it?

:rolleyes5:

joel
11-10-2008, 11:43 AM
hahahaha it never ends

Pigfynn
11-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Giambac,

You are an idiot of the highest order.

I have you blocked and yet I still have to read your mindless posts.

Please take your anti-everthing attitude elsewhere.

bhoybobby
11-10-2008, 12:37 PM

OMG, run out & buy lotto 649 tix. I agree with Rocker on this.

Late breaking news, hell just froze over

Northern Soul
11-10-2008, 01:35 PM

Right, because England has no talented players. :rolleyes:

You truly do have absolutely no clue as to what you're talking about.

Anyway, I'd love to see Michael Owen here, and I wouldn't fault the club for trying to get him, but it won't happen.