PDA

View Full Version : *extreme hypothetical alert* - Carver-connected strikers poll

jloome
11-06-2008, 08:37 PM
If all runs to form, the club's history of picking up players related to Mo, Carver or Jimmy b will hold true with the DP and/or striker search.

You've got to figure Carver has a host of decent strikers he's been connected with. He played at Newcastle and Cardiff, coached at the former, coached at Leeds and Luton and was offered the top job at Carlisle.

Which of the following players connected to Carver would make the best signing (it's a multiple choice, for those who'd like to sign lesser knowns but don't favour DP status).

With wiki links:'

Michael Owen - Made of glass, awesome, at newcatle, on the bench. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Owen)

Shola Ameobi - Newcastle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shola_Ameobi)

Craig Bellamy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Bellamy) - Newcastle

Mark Viduka - Leeds, Newcastle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viduka)

Steve Howard - Luton, Newcastle fan, Shearer fan, underrated (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Howard).

Sam Parkin - Injured when Carver was at Luton but could be a good scorer at MLS level.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Parkin)
Robert Earnshaw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Earnshaw)

Alan Smith - Leeds, Newcastle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Smith)

Michael Chopra - Former Newcastle and Cardiff man is back there, on loan from Sunderland after falling out of pecking order.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Chopra)Peter Thorne- Cardiff target man is long in the tooth, but has had some great seasons. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Chopra)
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Chopra)

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - Leeds, Cardiff,
retired at end of last season (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasselbaink)

Danny Graham - Young striker who had time at leeds, where Carver was caretaker, and Carlisle, where Carver was approached to manage. Scored 24 for Carlise in last 56 games, says wiki. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Graham_%28footballer%29)

Robbie Fowler - Played at Cardiff City last season, had time at Leeds, now at Blackburn on a monthly deal. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Fowler)

Oblio2
11-06-2008, 08:51 PM
I'd take "Smiffy in a heartbeat...young, tough and a bit of a wanker. Striker or Midfield.

Daveisonfire
11-06-2008, 09:31 PM
I'd take JFH in a heart beat...

and by heart beat I mean time machine

Ossington Mental Youth
11-06-2008, 09:41 PM
only see the nonames (meaning the dudes that dont pop out) and chopra (even tho he'd make a bundle in the championship and score a ton of goals and has gone on loan at cardiff where he killed it last year) coming here.
But since its hypothetical,
Smith
Ameobi
Owen

CretanBull
11-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Alan Smith can go fuck himself...he's a lying traitor.

I'd take Mark Viduka...played one of the best games ever in a Leeds jersey. He score 4 goals vs. Liverpool in a 4-3 Leeds win.

0jRjUYAobZ8

Ossington Mental Youth
11-06-2008, 09:45 PM
actually Bellamy and Viduka arent out of line either to be honest (along side Chopra and the other cats)

Ossington Mental Youth
11-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Alan Smith can go fuck himself...he's a lying traitor.

I'd take Mark Viduka...played one of the best games ever in a Leeds jersey. He score 4 goals vs. Liverpool in a 4-3 Leeds win.

0jRjUYAobZ8

lets be honest here tho, youd take smith if he came, christ, youd have to be retarded not to, i sure as fuck would take Klose and hes just as bad,

Oblio2
11-06-2008, 09:50 PM
I'd take Judas on this team if he could score and he, was a treachorous fuck!

CretanBull
11-06-2008, 10:20 PM
lets be honest here tho, youd take smith if he came, christ, youd have to be retarded not to, i sure as fuck would take Klose and hes just as bad,

Klose didn't do what Smith did. Smith was from Leeds, he was the heart and soul of the team he was worshipped by fans...he repeatedly said that he'd never play for Man U under any circumstance. It would be like if Danny Dichio was born and raised in Toronto and he went to Columbus in his prime - if Toronto and Columbus had a 550 year old rivalry (the War of the Roses). He's pure scum, and even though he'd help us win games, it would be a disgrace to see him in a TFC jersey.

Captain Croatia
11-06-2008, 10:20 PM
My pic would be Smith. young, gritty and skillful. Can play multiple roles to.

I would also take Owen, but i think hes a cunt.

Pretty much, anyone on that list would be an above average striker in the MLS, which is what we need.

andyc
11-06-2008, 10:30 PM
I hate to say it being a Leeds fan but I'd be real happy to see Smith too... I know he went to scum but he did give his all in the final season at Leeds. I don't think that he would have gone if we stayed up... Who knows...

As for Viduka, he's a selfish lazy fuck. He scores goals when he can be bothered which is normally when he's looking for a pay raise or a new club.

Beach_Red
11-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Klose didn't do what Smith did. Smith was from Leeds, he was the heart and soul of the team he was worshipped by fans...he repeatedly said that he'd never play for Man U under any circumstance. It would be like if Danny Dichio was born and raised in Toronto and he went to Columbus in his prime - if Toronto and Columbus had a 550 year old rivalry (the War of the Roses). He's pure scum, and even though he'd help us win games, it would be a disgrace to see him in a TFC jersey.

No, we don't do that here, don't bring this attitude here. Plenty of guys born and raised raised in Toronto have won Stanley Cups for other teams, lots of them even started here. Hell, I was in the Montreal Forum when Guy Lafleur came in with the Nordiques.

zeelaw
11-06-2008, 11:33 PM
geeze, their are a bunch of impossibles on there lol even if it is hypothetical

Ossington Mental Youth
11-06-2008, 11:34 PM
my thing is that we support TORONTO so leave what goes on overseas, overseas.
I digress.
im pretty psyched to see who our potential DPs are.

Strikers
11-06-2008, 11:40 PM
These are my picks

1. OWEN
2. SMITH
3. CHOPRA

Any of these three players would be an impact player immediately.

Yohan
11-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Why do we torture ourselves with all these hypothetical threads? :p

I wonder if this 'rumour' made to MLS rumours yet lol

CretanBull
11-07-2008, 01:47 AM
No, we don't do that here, don't bring this attitude here. Plenty of guys born and raised raised in Toronto have won Stanley Cups for other teams, lots of them even started here. Hell, I was in the Montreal Forum when Guy Lafleur came in with the Nordiques.

I'm from Montreal and remember LaFleur coming 'home' in a Nordiques jersey...but nothing in North American sports can begin to compare the level of rivalry that exists in Europe. Your example of hockey players from Toronto winning Stanley Cups for other teams isn't even close to being on point. Plenty of players born in Leeds have won titles with other teams too, that's not the issue. Anyways, I don't really want to argue the point (at least not here - maybe a dicussion in off topic is more appropriate).

The way on see it, one of the players on that list has a serious character flaw, and for that I wouldn't welcome him in Toronto.

Fort York Redcoat
11-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Smith. Owen won't come because of what happened with Becks. Owen still is not a lock for England.

trane
11-07-2008, 09:03 AM
I voted Ameobi, becasue I like what I have seen of him on the pitch but when I checked his strike rate it no impresive at all. It is about half of what a stiker shoudl have. He would likely fair better in the MLS, and he is still in his 20's which is a big plus. Good size, would fit well in a 4-5-1.

Beach_Red
11-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Anyways, I don't really want to argue the point (at least not here - maybe a dicussion in off topic is more appropriate).

The way on see it, one of the players on that list has a serious character flaw, and for that I wouldn't welcome him in Toronto.

Nothing to argue about really, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Though if we kept away professional athletes with character flaws, I doubt there'd be enough to field two teams ;).

tfcleeds
11-07-2008, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't want Smith, traitor scum. Not sure there are many choices here I like, most players are either well past it, retired (JFH), or would just take up permanent residence in the treatment room (Owen).

I think Danny Graham is an interesting choice, he could score lots of goals at MLS level. Also, still young, has plenty of upside.

Bars92
11-07-2008, 11:46 AM
I think we should start off with landing the Huckerbys and Dickovs of the world.

cmonyoureds
11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd take smudge, to make the move despite knowing exactly what would come your way, (as evidenced already on this board) show me he's got exactly the grit and determination i'd want in a player.

BigLou
11-07-2008, 12:40 PM
I refuse to vote because Shearer isn't on this list.

David_Oliveira
11-07-2008, 12:45 PM
I chose Viduka because he is a decent striker and could really do damage in the MLS, Chopra because of his age, he would really want to impress premiership clubs and the MLS would boost his numbers and show what he can do, and Fowler because I think he could really use a change in scenary and the MLS would do that for him.

TOBOR !
11-07-2008, 12:48 PM
[quote=CretanBull;256679]Alan Smith can go fuck himself...he's a lying traitor.

I remember that game - years (and divisions) ago.

Anyway, this is a pointless thread.

Cambridge_Red
11-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Michael Owen - He would rip this league a new arsehole. Then get injured.

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-07-2008, 02:45 PM
The title of this thread is misleading... It makes it sound as if we've actually been linked with these guys, as opposed to another 'who do u want for dp' thread. :p

At least you gave an extreme hypothetical alert...

jloome
11-07-2008, 05:35 PM
The title of this thread is misleading... It makes it sound as if we've actually been linked with these guys, as opposed to another 'who do u want for dp' thread. :p

At least you gave an extreme hypothetical alert...

So it wasn't misleading. They're all carver connected, and I said it was hypothetical, so that had to mean in the past, not now.

[quote=CretanBull;256679]Alan Smith can go fuck himself...he's a lying traitor.

I remember that game - years (and divisions) ago.

Anyway, this is a pointless thread.

Thanks for your pointless opinion. Read the thread title, or you're just a troll.

That 4-3 win killed me. I'm a 'pool fan. But he's a great goalscorer, would fucking kill this league.

TFC07
11-07-2008, 10:29 PM
actually Bellamy and Viduka arent out of line either to be honest (along side Chopra and the other cats)

Doesn't he hate our field turf?

Chopra is only 24 years old? Maybe TFC should try to get him since he's young, but I doubt he'll leave England anytime soon. I think the same can be said about Smith too. I get the feeling that TFC are going to sign someone like Fowler. :noidea:

nascarguy
11-08-2008, 05:11 AM
Craig Bellamy
Michael Owen
Robbie Fowler

it would get great if we could all 3

MartinUtd
11-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Just a note, Robbie Fowler is not coming to MLS or Australia or anywhere outside of England for that matter. The guy is a multi multi MULTI millionaire and wouldn't waste his time in a retirement league.

Still, it'd be fun to see one of these at BMO

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IYEMa465re0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IYEMa465re0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

twistedchinaman
11-08-2008, 10:32 PM
These are my picks

1. OWEN
2. SMITH
3. CHOPRA

Any of these three players would be an impact player immediately.

Chopra yes (x1,000,000), but my gawd, don't count out Viduka even if he is a crying little primadonna. He's done not too bad for the Aussies.

Hitcho
11-08-2008, 11:05 PM
What we need is goals, and of that list, Fowler is by far the most natural and talented finisher. Give him the ball anywhere round the box in this league and he'll score.

Be interesting if we were seriously after some of these guys, but the likes of Owen is a total pipe dream, hypothetical or not. That said, if we get him fixed up and injury free, we could sign him, use all the roster money on him and only field 7 players and still win 8-3 every game... :D:D:D

bee dubya
11-09-2008, 11:16 AM
I think we'd be better off with someone like Chopra or Ameobi, one of the younger guys who might be looking to play somewhere and be the star.

Don't think we'll see Viduka here, if he's going to play in a "lesser league" I expect that he'd want to return to Australia and play in the A League.

Owen would be great but I just don't see it happening.

Derko
11-09-2008, 09:22 PM
[quote=tfcleeds;257067]

"To support (Manchester) United is too easy. It's convenience supporting. It makes life too easy. There is no challenge. It is a cowardly form of escapism, a sell-out to the forces of evil. To support them is heroism in a can." - Paul Morley

Smith

Just to poke some fun, lol

As to your footnote:

Unless of course you are from Manchester, in particular the Stretford end of town, where my Dad was born and lived and supports Manchester United and has done from the 1940's.
Of course you would know that the Paul Morley quote is relatively modern (1988) and from Manchester City so I would take it with a grain of salt, give us something with a little more history to argue or boast about, or perhaps a quote from someone at Leeds, as you are a Leeds United fan and not a quote from the Manchester City.

giambac
11-10-2008, 11:30 AM
None,
absolutely none of the abpve.

I MEAN NONE OF THEM. Their all useless waste of players. Pleas provide a list of useful players next time.

Hitcho
11-10-2008, 11:36 AM
None,

I MEAN NONE OF THEM. Their all useless waste of players. Pleas provide a list of useful players next time.

Please learn the difference between their and they're next time...:D:D:D

tfcleeds
11-10-2008, 11:52 AM
[quote=tfcleeds;257067]

"To support (Manchester) United is too easy. It's convenience supporting. It makes life too easy. There is no challenge. It is a cowardly form of escapism, a sell-out to the forces of evil. To support them is heroism in a can." - Paul Morley

Smith

Just to poke some fun, lol

As to your footnote:

Unless of course you are from Manchester, in particular the Stretford end of town, where my Dad was born and lived and supports Manchester United and has done from the 1940's.
Of course you would know that the Paul Morley quote is relatively modern (1988) and from Manchester City so I would take it with a grain of salt, give us something with a little more history to argue or boast about, or perhaps a quote from someone at Leeds, as you are a Leeds United fan and not a quote from the Manchester City.

Don't want to get away from the thread topic, but just thought I'd respond and will leave it at that. Yes, I'm aware its a Man City quote, but it encapsulates perfectly what I detest about so many ManYoo fans. As for being a Leeds supporter, I feel the quote is relevant as most Leeds fans feel the same about ManYoo as Man City fans do. Yes, the rivalry is currently on "hiatus" since we have fallen to the lower divisions, but it will be renewed soon, hopefully.

As for supporters like your dad, who have followed ManYoo for that long, I have no issue with them. I'll respect anyone who has followed their team that long, through lean years and good.

Anyways, back to the thread topic at hand...I could say more, but in another thread perhaps...

Northern Soul
11-10-2008, 01:53 PM
None,

Of course not, because they're not Italian. :rolleyes:

jloome
11-10-2008, 03:36 PM
You realize that the only time I have to read Giambac's asinine, foolish and (what should be personally) embarassing comments is when you guys repost them to make fun of him, right?

That's what the ignore button is for. The guy is dumber than a pretzel. Don't foul up a perfectly good debate by injecting his silliness into it.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-10-2008, 03:53 PM
None of the above they are mostly past their prime, and the younger players TFC have No shot of signing.