PDA

View Full Version : New British Academy

bee dubya
11-05-2008, 11:55 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7686844.stm

So what do people think? Does this mean that the MLS will have a harder time acquiring "fringe" players from the UK if this academy is a success?

The Kingpin
11-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Funny thing, there was an article in 442 recently titled "Brits Abroad" and I was surprised how few currently were. Dichio was even mentioned in the article and the biggest name I can recall from the article outlining current players would be Kazim-Richards in Turkey. I guess the last big name would be Hargreaves and Bayern, but we all know where he's really from.

CoachGT
11-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I'd expect that a new academy of this sort might actually create opportunities for players to come to MLS. The "fringe" players might find stints in MLS to help them build/rebuild confidence after the academy.

Canary Canuck
11-05-2008, 12:27 PM
certainly sounds like an academy for the Rohan Ricketts type players.

TFC07
11-05-2008, 12:28 PM
*yawn*

TFC should just focus on their own academy instead of trying to sign british rejects from this academy.

bee dubya
11-05-2008, 07:39 PM
^ I agree and I'd rather see some homegrown talent as well but we're a ways off from being able to graduate players from our own academy. I think it's interesting that something like this is coming into existence. Someone else mentioned Ricketts and I think that's a perfect example of someone who they'll be aiming at.

TOBOR !
11-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Hopefully what it'll end up meaning is that UK teams who might be interested in MLS talent will instead pick up a player from this academy, leaving Wynne and Edu here with us. Otherwise, where's the benefit (other than the $$$ that need to be spent wisely) of having a good draft. When the MLS Rookie of the Year has gone after 1 1/2 seasons, and you haven't replaced him, what was the point of that draft choice after all ?

Stencils
11-07-2008, 01:03 PM
*yawn*

TFC should just focus on their own academy instead of trying to sign british rejects from this academy.

For sure. One of the best things out of having TFC has been a real increase in serious development for young players.

I even think I'm seeing more kids just playing pick up footy in the streets and in fields since TFC started, though I may just be imagining it.

T_Mizz
11-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but we can graduate the U-16 team when they're too old for the U-18 team in two years?

bee dubya
11-07-2008, 08:02 PM
T Mizz, you might want to read this article. It sheds some light on the academy rules.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=578695&&cc=5901