PDA

View Full Version : Fiore to TFC: Revisited?

Lucky Strike
11-04-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't know if it's just the January rumour that has boomeranged around or if there is genuinely renewed interest in the guy.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=946958

I don't know what to think about Stefano Fiore. On one side, Mantova (Serie B) just released him but on another, surprise Champions League package CFR Cluj are interested. And they've performed very well against in their group against Chelsea, Roma and Bordeaux.

Lucky Strike
11-04-2008, 09:47 AM
I checked Wikipedia (like we always do) I noticed that there is a line which states he's been linked with us. I looked into the the page history to see if that is recent or not, and the addition was made on 28 January. In short, not new. So where did the inspiration from the article come from? Or was it shoddy journalism on goal.com's part to just look up Wikipedia and include an old rumour with no source?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stefano_Fiore&diff=187582205&oldid=183629667

trane
11-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Fiore has some quality. He may be a good signing but certainly not a DP. Solidify our midfield some more. Would be welcome in my eyes, but we realy need help at CB and striker.

Shaughno
11-04-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't know Fiore's recent form, but he was a fantastic player in his day. Agree with Trane that I don't think he should be DP worthy.

trane
11-04-2008, 10:40 AM
^ That is what my doubt comes from , in his prime I would be over this, but he is 33 and has jumped from club to club. So it is hard to tell how much is left.

Shaughno
11-04-2008, 10:44 AM
The real question is why did his last club terminate the contract after one season? I mean if he was still playing 'well' by a Serie B standard mid table club, you would think there would be at least SOME interest in him, no?

MartinUtd
11-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Beat me to it.. I posted this in the news thread not realizing it was up.

Im not pretty cold on the idea of Fiore. Accomplishments aside I have a feeling we'd be getting into another Laurent Robert as his Lazio and Udinese (sp?) days are long over.

I'm seeing a few articles out there linking Del Piero to TFC. I'm certain it will not happen, but does anyone know where this is coming from?

Lucky Strike
11-04-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm seeing a few articles out there linking Del Piero to TFC. I'm certain it will not happen, but does anyone know where this is coming from?

I think it was a tip to MLSR which I then started a thread about here to discuss it. It may have snowballed and been picked up elsewhere as a result. Or these steps could have ocurred in a different order...

Damien
11-04-2008, 01:38 PM
lol this is on mls-rumors.net... do they get all of their info from this site?

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-04-2008, 01:59 PM
I'll take any ex-Udinese players... :D Though Fiore's definitely not DP material anymore. He has a lot of creative attacking flair though, would be useful as a depth player, someone to fill in for Guevara when he's away or injured.

Shaughno
11-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I can't see Fiore wanting to come here to sit on a bench for when 'Guevara isn't here'. ;)

Lucky Strike
11-04-2008, 03:00 PM
lol this is on mls-rumors.net... do they get all of their info from this site?

Actually no, I put the goal.com link here instead of linking to MLSR. That was where I actually saw it first.

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Good point... Very good point. :blush:

ben_vw
11-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Actually no, I put the goal.com link here instead of linking to MLSR. That was where I actually saw it first.

I think he meant, "Does MLS Rumors get all their info from our forum?"

About Fiore, he'd be great for Toronto FC, but I don't think any of us would choose him over DeRo or Guevara.

Yohan
11-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I would have welcomed him at the beginning of this season, but i think TFC can go for a better option, unless Fiore is willing to play bench warmer for very little salary. (which I doubt)

micpar
11-05-2008, 08:31 AM
TFC should sign the other Italian that was in that GOAL article, Alessio Tacchinardi, him and Robbo in the middle would be amazing!

trane
11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Tacchinardi looks like is in better form then Fiore. Shags, that is exactly my question, if he was still good enough to hold a spot for a Serie B club, I would like to see the move, not as a DP, but he could contribute, but his moving around and being cut lose after one year, makes me question his form.

Shaughno
11-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Tacchinardi looks like is in better form then Fiore. Shags, that is exactly my question, if he was still good enough to hold a spot for a Serie B club, I would like to see the move, not as a DP, but he could contribute, but his moving around and being cut lose after one year, makes me question his form.

The difference between the two, Tacc is still playing footy on a regular basis. No need to 'whip' him into shape. ;) Well, that and I dunno if we need another DM at this point with Robbo doing as well as he has. Not saying I wouldn't mind him as a replacement, but I wouldn't be hunting for a DM unless Robbo really isn't staying.

invictusTFC
11-05-2008, 01:30 PM
The guy just got cut from a mid-table Serie B side that mnay people haven't even heard of. I think they Fiore, "the player" has expired. I do not think he'll bring anything to this team. We'd be wasting an important int'l slot on a player who is pretty much finished...

LucaGol
11-05-2008, 01:33 PM
The guy just got cut from a mid-table Serie B side that mnay people haven't even heard of. I think they Fiore, "the player" has expired. I do not think he'll bring anything to this team. We'd be wasting an important int'l slot on a player who is pretty much finished...

Bad argument see Darren Huckerby.

trane
11-05-2008, 01:34 PM
The difference between the two, Tacc is still playing footy on a regular basis. No need to 'whip' him into shape. ;) Well, that and I dunno if we need another DM at this point with Robbo doing as well as he has. Not saying I wouldn't mind him as a replacement, but I wouldn't be hunting for a DM unless Robbo really isn't staying.

That is my thought too. You know me, I would love to play with two lock down DMs, but we do not realy need him unless Robbo is leaving.

Shaughno
11-05-2008, 01:41 PM

Agreed. One of those risks that you want to take. Countless threads on how useless he is at his age and such. He was fantastic in his first MLS season IMO. My biggest gripe with Fiore is that he would take some serious time to get back 'in the swing of things', especially at his age. Compared to a player at the same age who is playing on a regular basis.

ben_vw
11-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Agreed. One of those risks that you want to take. Countless threads on how useless he is at his age and such. He was fantastic in his first MLS season IMO. My biggest gripe with Fiore is that he would take some serious time to get back 'in the swing of things', especially at his age. Compared to a player at the same age who is playing on a regular basis.

If he signed this winter though, he would have the entire pre season to train with us, and Windy would get him into shape for sure!

invictusTFC
11-05-2008, 02:02 PM

You have to worry about a player who has seemingly dissipated into the abyss and pretty quickly. He was playing for the Azzuri just 4 seasons ago, and today he is unattached. Huckerby on the other hand was still playing at a consistent level at Norwich until he got hurt.

micpar
11-05-2008, 03:31 PM

Why not have both Tacc & Robbo holding the middle with a AM in front of them! No one would get through thoses two!

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-05-2008, 03:46 PM
^Fiore's heyday was around 2000 with Udinese, 2004 was probably the end of his international playing days.

trane
11-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Why not have both Tacc & Robbo holding the middle with a AM in front of them! No one would get through thoses two!

I would love that, but that is not what Carver seems to whant, but I think that would be great, and when I think about it that is what we had when Edu was still here to DMs, two wingers and one AM. We were the strongest then.

LucaGol
11-05-2008, 08:40 PM
You have to worry about a player who has seemingly dissipated into the abyss and pretty quickly. He was playing for the Azzuri just 4 seasons ago, and today he is unattached. Huckerby on the other hand was still playing at a consistent level at Norwich until he got hurt.

Let's see, Mantova in Serie B = abyss, but somehow Norwich is what ... a Champions League contender?

lulz

But whatever, that's neither here nor there ... Im not sure I want Fiore either.

I mean, how uncreative is the MLS ... there are plenty of better 26, 27 year olds who are unknown, really in all the top second divisions that could really help out teams in big ways.

These are the types of players MLS should be looking at ... not retirement age players. But of course, quality players who no one has heard of doesn't sell the game in the short term ...

invictusTFC
11-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Let's see, Mantova in Serie B = abyss, but somehow Norwich is what ... a Champions League contender?

lulz

But whatever, that's neither here nor there ... Im not sure I want Fiore either.

I mean, how uncreative is the MLS ... there are plenty of better 26, 27 year olds who are unknown, really in all the top second divisions that could really help out teams in big ways.

These are the types of players MLS should be looking at ... not retirement age players. But of course, quality players who no one has heard of doesn't sell the game in the short term ...

I'm not trying to compare Serie B to the Championship. If anything I was just trying to compare Fiore's and Huckerby's form. It just seems to me that Fiore's form has been in free fall for a few seasons now where as Huckerby was still contributing positively for Norwich. Hucks helped improve SJ this season. I think Fiore would probably be another bust here (i.e. Robert)

I agree with you that the team should be looking at players in their late 20's from Serie B and a few other secondary leagues in Europe i.e. Spanish, Portuguese, French second divisions. There is a lot of quality there that can bring a lot to the table for TFC. Furthermore, they can be had at a reasonable cost because many of those teams do not have huge budgets.

Shaughno
11-06-2008, 09:14 AM

lulz

Nail on the head. ;)

invictusTFC
11-06-2008, 10:07 AM
But of course, quality players who no one has heard of doesn't sell the game in the short term ..

Nail on the head. ;)

Do you really think that we need to sell the game up here compared to other teams in the MLS? I don't usually like to generalize, but I think we have a fairly knowledgeable fanbase here in the GTA. I think we would embrace any player "known" or "unknown" who would come up here play hard and contribute.

Unlike some other clubs out there, this team doesn't really need a DP to survive or attract fans. We need some significant improvement at some positions. If Mo can bring in a non-DP player who can for example score regularly or shore up our defence, this team should be able to make it to the play-offs. Having a DP or 2 DP's would just be a bonus. That being said, the way this league is viewed around the world (particularly in Europe), and how it is structured, MLS clubs always run the risk of overpaying for older players on the tail end of their careers who just want a last big paycheck as a DP.

Mo and the organization only raised the fans' expectations by promising a DP for next season. Now they have to deliver. Lets just hope that who ever they sign is more of a Juan Pablo Angel than a Claudio Lopez or Claudio Reyna.

Shaughno
11-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Do I think the game needs to be sold here? No, definitely not. Does that change MLSE's perspective? Definitely not. ;)

trane
11-07-2008, 09:36 AM
That is the problem allot of us, particullarly those who have followed football before, what quality not start power, and while this in my view is what the league needs, quality, the MLS primary concenrs, and I think MLSE's is marketing first, and quality later. I think that while both are very important to any business, you first need a good product to market. You can get people into the stands proclaiming a great product, but you will only keep them in the stands if they acctualy see a great product. I will not lie, I for one am not sure if I will renew a fourth time, if I do not see a real effort in improving the product on the field. I do not mean better results necessarily, but better play.