PDA

View Full Version : If TFC had made the play-offs...

Hitcho
11-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Houston only managed a last gasp draw away to the Shite Bulls, so if we had snuck into the last play off spot ahead of them, would the magic of BMO Field have struck again and given us something solid to defend in the second leg, especially given our decent form at the end of the season (San Jose aside, when the team's hearts were clearly in their socks after missing out on the post season)? And would it have been enough given our season of last minute heart break on the road?

My heart says we'd have roared the boys on enough to clinch it in the first leg, but my head says we'd have been comprehensively beaten over the two legs.

Thoughts?

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
11-03-2008, 04:22 PM
They would have one the league for sure..

or maybe not

Stouffville_RPB
11-03-2008, 04:38 PM
We would've been red hot going in.

A home playoff game at BMO??? Are you kidding??? With Pat Onstad in goal for our opponents??? Don't you remember last time he was keeper in a meaningful game in our house???

We would have taken a 3-1 lead then played and got a draw in Houston.

Next question.

SLBuu
11-03-2008, 04:44 PM
^^ very optimistic to say the least.... lol

Hitcho
11-03-2008, 04:49 PM
I reckon we might have turned a few heads with a sound win at BMO Field, but I'm not sure how we would have stood up in the return leg. Our away record is poor to say the least, and that would have been in the players' minds if it was close at the end.

Still, I'm itching to sample a play-off atmosphere at BMO Field next season. No-one is gonna fancy coming to our house with that kind of buzz going on!

Ratven
11-03-2008, 06:51 PM
The longer its delayed, the crazier BMO will be..

[NBF]
11-03-2008, 07:50 PM
We would have never gotten into the playoffs because:

1. When we need to win the team does not have the balls to fight to win. IE. Canadian Championship, we couldnt even beat monetreal or vancouver when we needed to.

2. Same reason, if we had made the playoffs and found ourselves behind we would not have been able to fit our way out of a hole.

Bobo
11-03-2008, 09:02 PM
;251713']We would have never gotten into the playoffs because:

1. When we need to win the team does not have the balls to fight to win. IE. Canadian Championship, we couldnt even beat monetreal or vancouver when we needed to.

2. Same reason, if we had made the playoffs and found ourselves behind we would not have been able to fit our way out of a hole.

Fuck you for being right...

We didn't get into the playoffs for a reason, and at the end of the day it's not the officiating.

egoodwin
11-03-2008, 09:15 PM
It's better we missed the playoffs this season...

If we had made the playoffs, MLSE and the media would have deemed this season a success... even if we were out after the first round... just for the sake of making the playoffs, and as a result much needed improvements would not have been made...

I'd rather have TFC soar into the playoffs in one of the top two positions in the East, rather than sneaking in...

rocker
11-03-2008, 09:32 PM
we'd beat Houston in the first game cuz they suck on fieldturf.

J .
11-03-2008, 10:24 PM
I think we can beat any team and honestly, a team like ours just needs to get in. We are a team I dont think other teams would want to play. BMO would be crazy

Nuvinho
11-03-2008, 11:22 PM
We would beat Houston at BMO 3-1, b/c they stink on turft!!

But, in Houston....we will lose 2-0 (with a 90th minute goal)

Houston advances on away goals.

Oldtimer
11-04-2008, 06:23 AM
We would beat Houston at BMO 3-1, b/c they stink on turft!!

But, in Houston....we will lose 2-0 (with a 90th minute goal)

Houston advances on away goals.

Away goals aren't used in MLS (although they ARE used in the CONCACAF CL, including the Neutralite Voyageur's Cup qualifiers).

Nuvinho
11-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Away goals aren't used in MLS (although they ARE used in the CONCACAF CL, including the Neutralite Voyageur's Cup qualifiers).

So much about this league I don't know about. Thanks for the info!

Fort York Redcoat
11-04-2008, 09:02 AM
IF we made the playoffs we would've won every game, DeRo would have changed sides at the half of the second leg, grass would appear right before our final home leg of the playoffs, and Radz and Stalteri decide to end their careers in front of us next year without DP money...

...Wha? is it time to wake up already? I don't wanna go to school!

Hitcho
11-04-2008, 09:39 AM
I'd rather have TFC soar into the playoffs in one of the top two positions in the East, rather than sneaking in...

Amen to that

Azerban
11-04-2008, 11:23 AM
yes i would rather have that thing that is objectively better than the other thing

azerban: taking a bold new stance on things

H Bomb
11-04-2008, 11:27 AM
yes i would rather have that thing that is objectively better than the other thing

azerban: taking a bold new stance on things

This is a big step for you. Next you'll be handing over legal tender in exchange for goods and services

GhostPK
11-04-2008, 11:50 AM
IF we made the playoffs we would've won every game, DeRo would have changed sides at the half of the second leg, grass would appear right before our final home leg of the playoffs, and Radz and Stalteri decide to end their careers in front of us next year without DP money...

...Wha? is it time to wake up already? I don't wanna go to school!

Creepy... we share the same dreams.....;)

Hitcho
11-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Hmmm. The poll numbers on here aren't very inspiring. I hope no Houston fans come on and see this... :p (although if De Ro sees it, he might think "Shit, I really need ot get to TFC and help the cause man").

If we HAD made the play-offs and the same poll went up, I reckon it would have been 98% in favour of the win. Football, my friends, is a fickle game.

Bobo
11-06-2008, 06:08 PM
If we HAD made the play-offs and the same poll went up, I reckon it would have been 98% in favour of the win. Football, my friends, is a fickle game.

I think the fact that we didn't make it means we aren't good enough yet. Had this poll gone up while we were in the playoffs, then we would be able to call the team a playoff caliber team. I don't think we're being fickle.

Hitcho
11-07-2008, 09:29 AM
I think the fact that we didn't make it means we aren't good enough yet. Had this poll gone up while we were in the playoffs, then we would be able to call the team a playoff caliber team. I don't think we're being fickle.

Fair point, but the difference was basically one win against a team above us - pretty small margin between being play-off and not play-off calibre over the course of a season. And if such a small difference can lead to a big turn around in the polls, then that's kind of fickle. It's the game that's fickle mind, not us. We're die hard. Hoo yah.

twistedchinaman
11-08-2008, 02:57 AM
Houston I think is a roll of the dice if we had drawn them. As most of you have alluded, BMO would be a nightmare for the Dynamo -- and chances are, they probably will shit up a turd for the first leg and lose 1-0 or 2-1.

The second leg will be a different story, and I could see it going to extra time and possibly penalties. That will probably the death of us (in our current form at least), I'm afraid.

But that's all conjecture since it's all now ancient history. Let's just hope for a better tomorrow.

Torcida
11-08-2008, 10:33 AM
No point in speculating.

Hitcho
11-08-2008, 11:14 PM
No point in speculating.

Then don't bother turning up next season, we might not win any games. :p

We were within one game (loss into a win) of being up against Houston in the play-offs. It's entirely relevant to wonder how we would have done as a measure of where the club is at, no?

Hitcho
11-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Gah! Houston were spanked 3-0 at home by the shyte bulls. I want to change my vote, I reckon we'd have made it to the Western Conference final at least, and quite possibly to the MLS Cup against RSL. Gutted.

Hang on, WESTERN Conference final? This is why the league system needs to be re-thought in MLS... :rolleyes5:

olegunnar
11-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Gah! Houston were spanked 3-0 at home by the shyte bulls. I want to change my vote, I reckon we'd have made it to the Western Conference final at least, and quite possibly to the MLS Cup against RSL. Gutted.

Hang on, WESTERN Conference final? This is why the league system needs to be re-thought in MLS... :rolleyes5:

Makes one wonder though.

Now that we seem to have only one DP target (DeRo). His 2008 MLS season and his Canada world cup campaign haven't exactly been vintage DeRo.
Is he tired? In a slump? On the downward slope of his career?

Hitcho
11-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Makes one wonder though.

Now that we seem to have only one DP target (DeRo). His 2008 MLS season and his Canada world cup campaign haven't exactly been vintage DeRo.
Is he tired? In a slump? On the downward slope of his career?

Both. What he needs is a relaxing winter back home with some brisk Canadian winter air and to be rejuvenated by signing for his home town club, inspiring him to reach the best form of his career and help TFC win the Eastern Conference and the MLS Cup next season.