PDA

View Full Version : Del Piero as TFC DP? Perhaps, says Craig Forrest.

Lucky Strike
11-02-2008, 08:41 AM
I don't think there's too much to this rumour. It's someone who claims to have heard Craig Forrest say this on air with Sportsnet. I haven't seen it.

Even if he did say that, I'd be willing to be it's just conjecture.

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/11/incoming-alessandro-del-piero-to.html

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Del Piero loves Juventus, I don't think he'd leave, especially coming off a season in which he was top scorer in Serie A. If he announced his intentions to leave Juventus, there would be a hundred teams looking to sign him.

twistedchinaman
11-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Hmmm...how can I propagate my protestation on this matter, if it was true?

Perhaps...How about NO!?

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Do you mean no as in 'this rumour makes me lol' or as in 'I don't want Del Piero'?

The dude scored over 20 goals in arguably the best league in the world last year, you don't want that in MLS, which is probably equivalent to something between Serie B and Serie C1??

OK, just checked a few articles and apprently Alex has said he wouldn't mind playing in a foreign country, but not for another Italian team... Still, even though Del Piero has a rep for being a great guy and a team player, I don't think he'll come to MLS until he's around 36, not when he's still one of the best in the world.

Roogsy
11-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Del Piero loves Juventus, I don't think he'd leave, especially coming off a season in which he was top scorer in Serie A. If he announced his intentions to leave Juventus, there would be a hundred teams looking to sign him.

^ The same with Henry...and yet those rumours still persist as well.

I wouldn't say there aren't places Del Piero would wind up that are more likely than Toronto, but (and I say this with a little bit of hope) I wouldn't say Toronto is a complete write off.

Chevy
11-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Didn't Juve just lock him up for three or four more years?

johnmolinaro
11-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Didn't Juve just lock him up for three or four more years?

They did, indeed. Last October, they inked him to an extension that links him to the club until 2010.

If he didn't leave Juve after they were relegated to Serie B, I can't see why he would leave the club anytime in the future for MLS, especially if Juve are playing in the Champions League.

Mo has stated he is a big admirer of Del Piero, but he's not coming to Toronto.

Damien
11-02-2008, 09:27 AM
He's gotta be related to someone in Woodbridge :D

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-02-2008, 09:59 AM
He's gotta be related to someone in Woodbridge :D
:iagree: :D

Del Piero is my favourite player, I'd love him to come here, but this year at least it won't happen...

Marco2K
11-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Im suprised some of you crazy people have not said DEL PIERO IS TO OLD

twistedchinaman
11-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Do you mean no as in 'this rumour makes me lol' or as in 'I don't want Del Piero'?

Yeah...I think I'd have to say both of the above. First, I doubt it will happen if it could, and second -- there's more than one person out there, and the gut feeling says Del Piero isn't the one.

twistedchinaman
11-02-2008, 10:15 AM

Damn man, you beat me to it!

Jerk! :D

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-02-2008, 10:48 AM
He's shown he's not too old with his play so far in the league. By the time he comes here, IF he comes here, then he'll be too old. ;)

Roogsy
11-02-2008, 10:52 AM
The fact that the man has still got it...I don't care how old he is. He knows how to put it in the onion bag.

flatpicker
11-02-2008, 10:54 AM
I wish I had time for some photoshop action!!!!

Daveisonfire
11-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Forrest said Toronto should bring in someone like Del Piero

Richard D
11-02-2008, 01:47 PM
After the Beckham flop, I dont think MLS will be spending all star calibre type money for DP's anymore.

Cambridge_Red
11-02-2008, 02:00 PM
After the Beckham flop, I dont think MLS will be spending all star calibre type money for DP's anymore.

Not totally sure if I agree on that.. It did get the league noticed (worldwide) and that in itself was a major accomplishment.

LucaGol
11-02-2008, 02:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS9vRCLBIVM

Richard D
11-02-2008, 02:09 PM
They could have done that with a fancy commercial...lol

LA has failed to deliver on the field, he's missed the playoffs, everyone is not happy with the way its turned out. I personally dont think he'll be back... Im positive he'll stay in europe (first on loan, then purchased outright from MLS/L.A.... (time will tell)

Cambridge_Red
11-02-2008, 02:17 PM
lol doubt that.

Without doubt the performance has been a failure, but Im pretty sure that was a given from the get go. It was meant to be a cash grab/publicity stunt.

Jack
11-02-2008, 02:34 PM
So nice.

Especially because it was against Mierda!

Sonny Cheeba
11-02-2008, 02:40 PM
i'd be quite happy to see del piero here. but like the henry stuff... i'm not getting my hopes up.

i see kris boyd as a more realistic signing for TFC.

Beach_Red
11-02-2008, 03:52 PM

It's too soon to tell, really, if it's a flop, but it cerainly will be if no more higher profile guys play in the MLS. Beckham got the leage a lot of attention, but they need to capitalize on that.

jloome
11-02-2008, 04:16 PM
They could have done that with a fancy commercial...lol

LA has failed to deliver on the field, he's missed the playoffs, everyone is not happy with the way its turned out. I personally dont think he'll be back... Im positive he'll stay in europe (first on loan, then purchased outright from MLS/L.A.... (time will tell)

He has in excess of $200-million in LA galaxy-specific endorsement deals to hold onto. You're dreaming if you think this move is permanent. He'll be back for the season. And it's hardly a flop; LA had the best offense in the league and Beckham sold a quarter-million LA Galaxy shirts last year.

ben_vw
11-02-2008, 04:51 PM
The Galaxy, as a whole, are a flop. Beckham, however, is not.

Becks scored 5 goals and added 10 assists this season in 25 appearances. That's quite good for a right midfielder.

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-02-2008, 06:43 PM
So nice.

Especially because it was against Mierda!
It was a beauty... Rarely have I seen a ball hit with such power and accuracy.

Helps that it was against Real Madrid as well. :iagree:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-02-2008, 06:48 PM
The Galaxy, as a whole, are a flop. Beckham, however, is not.

Becks scored 5 goals and added 10 assists this season in 25 appearances. That's quite good for a right midfielder.

any chance...becks would play in TORONTO....

Well we are known as Hollywood NORTH!:D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_North

Chevy
11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
^^ More likely than Del Piero playing here.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-02-2008, 06:57 PM
^^ More likely than Del Piero playing here.

yes no doubt!

Canadian Blue
11-02-2008, 09:28 PM
There is no chance......Delpiero has always stated his desire to spend his entire playing career at Juventus. If I am not mistaken a few seasons agon when Juventus was thinking about selling him DelPiero said he would retire instead of playing for another club.

nascarguy
11-02-2008, 09:53 PM
any chance...becks would play in TORONTO....

Well we are known as Hollywood NORTH!:D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_North
why would want that loser here I'm hope he get hurt over at AC Milan

the only good think he has done for the mls is bring in million's in shirt sales and the DP rule.

Baggio2TFC
11-02-2008, 09:55 PM
I love ADP!! If he were to come here I would buy just about every peice of merchandise TFC has with his name on it! Not gonna happen though...maybe in 3 years or so...but one can dream!!

J .
11-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Maybe they will loan him to US ala Beckham

MLS ... The aging Euro summer league

Baggio2TFC
11-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Maybe they will loan him to US ala Beckham

MLS ... The aging Euro summer league
I'm actually ok with that!:noidea:

nascarguy
11-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Roy Makaay would be good but Feyenoord (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feyenoord) signed him to a 3-year deal worth €5 million in June 2007.

nascarguy
11-02-2008, 10:03 PM
I love ADP!! If he were to come here I would buy just about every peice of merchandise TFC has with his name on it! Not gonna happen though...maybe in 3 years or so...but one can dream!!
he is 33 in 3 year he will be 36 that is too old if he comes over it has to be now he only has about 3 to 4 years left

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Del Piero is not needed by TFC, not at that age...DeRo would be a better
pickup but Houston won;t deal him. The DP signing will be from England or South America, if it happens at all

Brooker
11-03-2008, 12:38 AM
del piero would sell a lot of jerseys...... and here come the casual fans.... but other than that?

we need some1 a little younger.

James Oliphant
11-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Further proof MLS Rumors will post anything (as if we needed more)...

Roogsy
11-03-2008, 01:48 AM
I'm the one who muses the most on this board about Del Piero coming to Toronto and even I am amused that MLSR would put up that story. Hilarious...

Cashcleaner
11-03-2008, 04:01 AM
The thing about this sort of speculation is that while a name like Del Piero, Henry, or Gudjohnsen would have us collectively creaming ourselves, deep down inside we all know we're probably getting our hopes up too high.

Speculation is fun and all, but I don't really give ones like this a lot of thought anymore. :)

Oldtimer
11-03-2008, 06:23 AM
* sigh*
Last year there were all these DP rumours and they all came to a great big zero.
It's safer to ignore all rumours unless:

* they come from quality, reliable sources.
* they keep coming up again and again.
* there is some evidence at MLSE headquarters that something is going on.

ensco
11-03-2008, 06:42 AM
^OK here you go

Here is the rumour being reported by a serious journalist (scroll down to item number 8)...

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AhJ.jeDYJH2eKH5mx9j.PQwmw7YF?slug=ro-weekendreview110308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Oh my god could this possibly be true?

Bobo
11-03-2008, 07:28 AM

You miss his one this past weekend against Roma?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M-Pyn5Ra0Bs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M-Pyn5Ra0Bs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DP for DP? I really dislike the guy for his terrible contribution to the Azzurri, but I can't believe people are using his age as a reason not to sign him. He looked finished a few years ago, but his form at Juve has been ridiculous last couple seasons.

CretanBull
11-03-2008, 07:41 AM
del piero would sell a lot of jerseys...... and here come the casual fans.... but other than that?

..other than that he'd score 25 goals in this league.

JDG
11-03-2008, 07:49 AM
^OK here you go

Here is the rumour being reported by a serious journalist (scroll down to item number 8)...

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AhJ.jeDYJH2eKH5mx9j.PQwmw7YF?slug=ro-weekendreview110308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Oh my god could this possibly be true?

He's reporting on the rumour, no additional info, and no sources, so he could easily be referring to nothing more than this thread.

Lucky Strike
11-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Further proof MLS Rumors will post anything (as if we needed more)...

Actually, the the thread was started because of the article, not the other way around.

tfcmanu
11-03-2008, 12:41 PM
I posted this on Big soccer on Oct/07 it even made the Toronto Sun this rumour was actually true, However Del Piero loves Juventus and it would never happened but WHO KNOWS anything possible. :noidea:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609598&highlight=del+piero

trane
11-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Del Piero is not needed by TFC, not at that age...DeRo would be a better
pickup but Houston won;t deal him. The DP signing will be from England or South America, if it happens at all

I love DeRo. But Del Piero is a world class striker/attacking mid, while De Ro is likely the best Attacking Mid in this league, the two are simply in different classess of player.

trane
11-03-2008, 01:02 PM
By the way I do not think that Del Piero is comming to Toronto.

Cambridge_Red
11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm thinking these reporters just scan message boards for articles to write, and then we go "oh my god maybe we're right".

Stugatzo
11-03-2008, 01:52 PM
The dude scored over 20 goals in arguably the best league in the world last year, you don't want that in MLS, which is probably equivalent to something between Serie B and Serie C1??

I'll take THAT argument anyday!
Bunch of diving, wining and slow play...yah...great league.

Jack
11-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Stu, you can't dispute that Serie A is one of the top leagues in the world.

That debate is endless. It's down to preference.

canadian_bhoy
11-03-2008, 02:01 PM
How can this be a real thread?

If Del Piero signs for TFC, I'm going to turn my own balls into prarie oysters and eat them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/Testicoli.jpg/800px-Testicoli.jpg

Roogsy
11-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Come Onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Del Piero!

Cambridge_Red
11-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Serie A has had its problems in recent years, but is still among the wrolds elite.

sampace
11-03-2008, 02:12 PM
if CHIN sponsers him!:canada:

CretanBull
11-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Stu, you can't dispute that Serie A is one of the top leagues in the world.

That debate is endless. It's down to preference.

True enough, but I think it would be hard to argue that Serie A is a better league than the Premiership or La Liga...those two leagues, especially in the last 10 years or so, have grown above and beyond the other leagues in the world. Serie A is probably 3rd behind those two leagues, but I think it's kind of a distant 3rd.

jloome
11-03-2008, 07:06 PM
I posted this on Big soccer on Oct/07 it even made the Toronto Sun this rumour was actually true, However Del Piero loves Juventus and it would never happened but WHO KNOWS anything possible. :noidea:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609598&highlight=del+piero

Uh, as loathe as I am to defend my Sun colleagues sometimes, you're wrong. They didn't report that it was true, just that it was a rumour...and yes, they did that after you posted here, because I'm the one who passed it on to them.

trane
11-03-2008, 08:26 PM
True enough, but I think it would be hard to argue that Serie A is a better league than the Premiership or La Liga...those two leagues, especially in the last 10 years or so, have grown above and beyond the other leagues in the world. Serie A is probably 3rd behind those two leagues, but I think it's kind of a distant 3rd.

That is because you either do not watch the league or do not like the style. I watch both Serie A and EPL, and the top teams in both leagues are very close in quality and talent. Last year, the EPL had an edge mostly because of Milan poor season. However, it was an off year. Howvever, I would say this the mid level and lower level Serie A teams, play a better overall team game then mid lower level EPL teams. This is just based on what I observe on the pitch. There are very few head to head matches between them so it is mostly speculation on my part.

CretanBull
11-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I know that the UEFA league rankings are based solely on the results of the top teams from each league, but over the last while La Liga has been the topped ranked league with the Premiership comming in second. This past season the Premiership has taken over the top spot from La Liga. During that time, Serie A has been ranked 3rd. England's coefficient is 75.499, Spain's is 75.266 and Italy's is 60.285 - which points to my comment that Serie A is a somewhat distant 3rd. I'd agree that on any given day a top team from any league (including France, Germany - and even Russia now too) could beat any of the other top teams, but over the course of time I think we'd see the English and Spanish teams distancing themselves from the others.

The real argument comes from the mid table and lower teams. IMO I think that's the strength of the Premiership and La Liga, but I'd agree that it's mostly speculation.

trane
11-04-2008, 10:18 AM
I realy do not watch La Liga so I cannot really say about them. My opinion was just based on my observation between Serie A an EPL. From what I see the sides seem to be better organized, in Serie A and better team play, better passing, marking ect. Less defensive foul ups. I must say that I am surprised at the UEFA ranking's, not so much that Seria A is currenlty in third place, but that it is so far behind.

How are the co-efficient's calculated?

billyfly
11-04-2008, 01:56 PM
I'll take Del Piero over Pauleta anyday

CretanBull
11-04-2008, 04:22 PM
I realy do not watch La Liga so I cannot really say about them.

La Liga is great! Very high level footy played in an entertaining way. Treat yourself to a Barcelona game...over the past little while they're averaging around 4 goals a game.

My opinion was just based on my observation between Serie A an EPL. From what I see the sides seem to be better organized, in Serie A and better team play, better passing, marking ect. Less defensive foul ups.

While I think that's true, I think it's because Serie A (as a whole, there are exceptions) plays a more laid back, less urgent style.

I must say that I am surprised at the UEFA ranking's, not so much that Seria A is currenlty in third place, but that it is so far behind.

How are the co-efficient's calculated?

It's based on how teams from a given country proform in Champions League and UEFA Cup games. Teams get ranking points for wins and ties and bonus points for certain milestones (i.e reaching quarter finals, semi finals and finals). The points by all teams from a given country are added together and divided by the number of teams from that country that played in the two tournaments (they'd be 7 for England, Spain and Italy). The points are averaged over a 5 year period to get a current ranking....so if a country has an awesome year, it won't effect current rankings too much because their one strong year will be averaged in with the previous 4 years.

Essentially, for the top-tier countries (currently England, Spain and Italy) it's a ranking system for the top 7 teams from their countries.

In addition to ranking the countries, individual teams are ranked on the same system. The current top 10 teams are:

1. Chelsea
2. Milan
3. Liverpool
4. Barcelona
5. Arsenal
6. Manchester United
7. Sevilla
8. Lyon
9. Inter Milan
10. Real Madrid

Four English teams, three Spanish teams, two Italian teams and one French team.

CretanBull
11-04-2008, 04:22 PM
I'll take Del Piero over Pauleta anyday

For sure....

flatpicker
11-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I can't believe this is still being discussed!

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-04-2008, 05:08 PM
CretanBull, in the past couple seasons the Serie A style of play has become a lot more offensive. If anything I think the Spanish league favours a more laid-back style, Serie A is a slower pace than the Premier League but requires more technical skill to play in. I admit that for years Serie A was boring as hell, but in the past couple years things have changed. In La Primera Liga you see a lot of fancy footwork and nice goals, but it's not quite as 'intense' as other leagues in a way, guys don't go flying into tackles, for instance, as much as they do in Italy and England.

Baggio2TFC
11-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Not to throw fuel to the fire but, MLSR is sort of reporting that the Fiore talks might be on again as a Romanian team is looking at him and Tacchinardi. Would take either but not a s a DP!

CretanBull
11-04-2008, 06:20 PM
CretanBull, in the past couple seasons the Serie A style of play has become a lot more offensive.

Goal scoring in Italy has actually gone down, not up.

Goals are being scored at a rate of 2.28 per game in Italy (the lowest rate of the past 5 years - maybe longer, I didn't bother to check beyond that). Goals in England are being scored at a rate of 2.74 per game. In Spain they are being scored at a rate of 2.69.

If anything I think the Spanish league favours a more laid-back style, Serie A is a slower pace than the Premier League but requires more technical skill to play in.

In saying this I'm not trying to suggest that the Italian league is crap or anything like that, but I think that in Italy players (technical skills) sometimes look better than they are because they are given the time a space to do their thing. Defenses in Italy are incredibly hard to break down. Attacking players can look like super-stars with the way they pass the ball around, keep possession etc. but its because (generally) the defenders are happy to sit back and wait - confident that they can make the stop. In England and Spain, I think that there's more on the ball pressure which means you'll see more errant passes etc. I don't think those players are any less skilled, they're just opperating under more direct pressure. Keep in mind, I'm not making generalizations about "English players", "Spanish players" and "Italian players" but rather of players of all nationalities who play in those leagues...and there are plenty of exceptions.

I admit that for years Serie A was boring as hell, but in the past couple years things have changed. In La Primera Liga you see a lot of fancy footwork and nice goals, but it's not quite as 'intense' as other leagues in a way, guys don't go flying into tackles, for instance, as much as they do in Italy and England.

The Spanish league isn't the most rough league to play in, but the skill level is unbelieveable...probably tops in the world. England has a good mix of top-end skill and physical play. I think where Italy excels is in team play, team tatics and management/coaching. Again, these are just league-wide generalizations and there are lots of exceptions.

trane
11-05-2008, 06:42 AM
I agree with your discription of play in the three leagues.

That, is were taste comes into it, as Jack had pointed out. I prefer a more tactical defensive game. I do not think that more goals makes for better football. However, as a fan of Italian Football, I do worry when I look a the coevitient as you have pointed out.

However, as I side note Roma beat Chealse yesterday 3-1, Inter has been disapoiting in International play.

CretanBull
11-05-2008, 07:19 AM
I agree with your discription of play in the three leagues.

That, is were taste comes into it, as Jack had pointed out. I prefer a more tactical defensive game. I do not think that more goals makes for better football.

I like seeing goals scored, but I can appreciate both.

However, as a fan of Italian Football, I do worry when I look a the coevitient as you have pointed out.

Third best league in the world isn't something to really worry about! I mean, we'd KILL for that here!

However, as I side note Roma beat Chealse yesterday 3-1, Inter has been disapoiting in International play.

As I said, on any given day a top team from any of the top leagues can beat any one of the other top teams....I just think that over time, we'd see the English and Spanish teams come out on top.

trane
11-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Juve defeats Real 2-0, Del Piero score two. For some reason this dose not make be believe that Del Piero is coming to TFC any time soon. I wish I was wrong.

Baggio2TFC
11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
^^^^ Love it, love it!!!! how could anyone not want this guy in a TFC kit, even if for 2 yrs or so...are you kidding me!!!

Kayed
11-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Del Piero had an outstanding game. 2 goals from 2 shots and the third one just skipped the post. It' funny hearing people say that they wouldn't want him on TFC, well you don't have to worry about it.

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-05-2008, 08:40 PM
He was f*cking fantastic in both games against Real. And yeah, kiss him goodbye, he's probably Juve's most valuable player at the moment.

Baggio2TFC
11-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I agree, and also heard, Juve is trying to sign him for one more year til 2011. Oh well, woulda been nice!

Chevy
11-05-2008, 10:00 PM
^^ Del Piero in 2012 would still rip this league apart.

Nuvinho
11-05-2008, 10:06 PM
ADP is Juve for life!!! He will go into management there after his playing days are over.

Roogsy
11-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Del Piero is the only Italian player I have ever liked.

He took goal of the week on Fox Soccer Report this week. And rightly so. It was brilliant.

Del Piero is still world class, it is a dream for him to come over, but if he did, TFC would instantly be a contender. THAT is the proper use of a DP. Not some marketing sham.

CretanBull
11-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Juve defeats Real 2-0, Del Piero score two. For some reason this dose not make be believe that Del Piero is coming to TFC any time soon. I wish I was wrong.

He put 2 past Iker Casillas today, and 2 past Doni (Roma) this past weekend...and some people here think that he's too old to beat Kevin Hartman :rolleyes:

Roogsy
11-05-2008, 10:45 PM
:rofl:

CB...that made me chuckle.

CretanBull
11-05-2008, 10:56 PM
:rofl:

CB...that made me chuckle.

Sadly, it's true :(

But glad I gave you a laugh :D

Dirk Diggler
11-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Del Piero, if he ever signs for an MLS club, will rip the league all kinds of ass holes all over the place. Fact.

Bobo
11-06-2008, 01:34 AM

C'monnnnn everyone prefers Baggio. ;)

trane
11-06-2008, 10:29 AM
He put 2 past Iker Casillas today, and 2 past Doni (Roma) this past weekend...and some people here think that he's too old to beat Kevin Hartman :rolleyes:

I do not want to be too harsh about this league, it is our league. But I would like to see more realism about its stengh and weaknessess, so that we can build on its strenghs and work on the weaknesses. However, some people have what I would characterize as an unhealthy believe in the strengh of this league, which I believe hinders its growth in terms of quality on the pitch.

Here I am worried about the state of the Italian game, based on the numbers which you have put forth. I think that is healthy you always need to try to improve. On the otherhand it is sad/funny that people think that a player of Dell Piero's skill is not good enough for this league. Your comparisson is perfect.

Richard D
11-06-2008, 12:44 PM
The sad part is, we were having these exact convos a year ago when we were told we'd get a DP over the off-season...

I think we're headed down the same road... Mo isnt going to do shit and we're going to go into 2009 with a worse team than 2008.

Week 1 the board will be filled with 'Fire Mo' threads.

Richard D
(just call me Nostradamus)
lol

trane
11-06-2008, 02:27 PM
^ I hope that I will not have to call you Nostradamus.

Roogsy
11-06-2008, 02:51 PM
The sad part is, we were having these exact convos a year ago when we were told we'd get a DP over the off-season...

I think we're headed down the same road... Mo isnt going to do shit and we're going to go into 2009 with a worse team than 2008.

Week 1 the board will be filled with 'Fire Mo' threads.

Richard D
(just call me Nostradamus)
lol

If we head into week 1 like we did last year, this board isn't the only place that is going to get ugly. TFC supporters will be up in arms everywhere.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Carver gives the impression that that will not be the case

greatwhitenorf
11-07-2008, 01:51 AM

He took goal of the week on Fox Soccer Report this week. And rightly so. It was brilliant.

Del Piero is still world class, it is a dream for him to come over, but if he did, TFC would instantly be a contender. THAT is the proper use of a DP. Not some marketing sham.

It was a great goal, but those FOX guys are a bunch of donkeys. Bentley's goal against Arsenal should have won it. The British media have been calling it the best goal ever scored in the Prem. What makes it better than DelBoy's goal is that it comes within the run of open play. DelBoy nails a free kick, which, to be fair, is a big advantage for kicker over hitting a ball on the fly. It's a great shot by DelBoy, but Bentley's, from 40+ yards out and hit to make it swerve, is something like a once in a decade goal. My son and his pals have been watching it over and over again.

I just want someone to take the DP role and give us a redeeming moment or two every game, regardless of the score. Just make a great shot, doesn't have to score, or make a great pass. Something that makes us stand up and go 'ooh!-ahh!'

Roogsy
11-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Sports Illustrated is reporting that the New Jersey Shite Bulls are looking at ADP.

It SHOULD be us dammit.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/77270

jloome
11-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Sports Illustrated is reporting that the New Jersey Shite Bulls are looking at ADP.

It SHOULD be us dammit.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/77270

They ARE looking at him. On a bigscreen at a bar in Hoboken. Which is as close as they'll ever get.

Roogsy
11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I hope so. We'd have to face off against him and he would tear us a new hole.

CretanBull
11-11-2008, 07:41 PM
I think that we can all predict that *if* he comes here, the league is going to put him in New York. They want strong franchises and stars like Beckham and Del Piero in big media centers like LA and New York. So much so, that they'll probably invent a new rule that will allow NJSB to have 2 DPs.

I hope TFC put a discovery claim on him so that we can at least get something from the Shite when the league mandates that Del Piero has to play in NY.

trane
11-11-2008, 08:14 PM
They ARE looking at him. On a bigscreen at a bar in Hoboken. Which is as close as they'll ever get.

Hahahahaha. Classic.

trane
11-11-2008, 08:15 PM
I hope so. We'd have to face off against him and he would tear us a new hole.

What you do not think our CBs can handle him?

Roogsy
11-11-2008, 08:20 PM
LOL!

Stop playin'...

CretanBull
11-11-2008, 08:20 PM

They don't have bigscreens in Hoboken :D

CretanBull
11-11-2008, 08:21 PM
What you do not think our CBs can handle him?

No problem, Marco Velez would stand him up.

Chevy
11-11-2008, 08:42 PM
It was a great goal, but those FOX guys are a bunch of donkeys. Bentley's goal against Arsenal should have won it. The British media have been calling it the best goal ever scored in the Prem. What makes it better than DelBoy's goal is that it comes within the run of open play. DelBoy nails a free kick, which, to be fair, is a big advantage for kicker over hitting a ball on the fly. It's a great shot by DelBoy, but Bentley's, from 40+ yards out and hit to make it swerve, is something like a once in a decade goal. My son and his pals have been watching it over and over again.

I just want someone to take the DP role and give us a redeeming moment or two every game, regardless of the score. Just make a great shot, doesn't have to score, or make a great pass. Something that makes us stand up and go 'ooh!-ahh!'

Don't forget, the British media are also a bunch of donkeys. :deadhorse:

Nuvinho
11-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Don't the NYRB also want to get Henry?? More rumours!!!

CretanBull
11-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Don't forget, the British media are also a bunch of donkeys. :deadhorse:

It probably has something to do with the fact that Del Piero is famous for being a nice guy and Bentley is famous for being an asshole.