PDA

View Full Version : Why are you waiting for a big player deal?

Bloor West FC
11-01-2008, 11:36 AM
We don't need a big player deal. I hear people saying oh TFC might get Pouletta(wrong spelling I know) from Portugal or even Ronaldo etc etc etc... We need good young talent not a big name to bring people in the stadium. We are already sold out, we just need to win. Screw the big names, just get young good talent. Look in Africa or the middle east hey what about Canada!!!! There are plenty of chances out there to get some great young players. Forget about the players with 1 or 2 years left.

Thank You
BW FC

LucaGol
11-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Couldn't agree more.

Fort York Redcoat
11-01-2008, 11:59 AM
We haven't been looking for young talent for 2 years? yes keep looking for young talent but those big name players are suppose to be locks to improve the team. How many people here you think want a Becks on this team so they can finally buy a shirt with a star on the back? It's about using everything at our disposal. But I think you knew that already.

jabbronies
11-01-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm sure that is the goal of the team. To bring in young talent and have them grow with the team. I'm sure that was the plan with Edu, but the problem is that once they get really good (or good enough) then they are off to Europe.

The thing with a DP is that it instantly satisfies the superstar need of the team (hopefully)

Ibraham, Barrett, James, Attakora-Gyan, Edwards, Gala, Rosenland, and Wynne are all great young players who should all end up being full time starters one day. A couple of them may even be good enough to move to Europe! Plus we have 3 first rounders this year and a youth system that is producing yonge Canadian Talent the way TFC wants them to be brought up.

ben_vw
11-01-2008, 12:07 PM
We don't need a big player deal. I hear people saying oh TFC might get Pouletta(wrong spelling I know) from Portugal or even Ronaldo etc etc etc... We need good young talent not a big name to bring people in the stadium. We are already sold out, we just need to win. Screw the big names, just get young good talent. Look in Africa or the middle east hey what about Canada!!!! There are plenty of chances out there to get some great young players. Forget about the players with 1 or 2 years left.

Thank You
BW FC

I agree with what you're saying, but look at the young talent we have:

Wynne, Ibby, Rosenlund, Barrett, Jo. Smith, Attakora-Gyan...

And John Carver has already gone on record saying we're not looking for someone with only 1 or 2 years left, so I don't think anyone is waiting for that.

rocker
11-01-2008, 12:32 PM
price comes into the equation if you want good young talent from other countries.
those guys usually get scooped up by the big clubs if they are young and really good.
our good young talent will come from guys who can't succeed in europe, or who go under the radar, or who grow up here and are willing to stick it out here.

MG42
11-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Young talent leaves to play elswhere.

Cambridge_Red
11-01-2008, 01:15 PM
I agree we don't need washed up, but I think we need a special bit of quality.

rocker
11-01-2008, 01:22 PM
the American teams have always had access to that college market... many of those young players are not good enough to play anywhere else but MLS... so they fill those journeyman roles in a competent way (nothing fancy). It's almost like you don't want your team to have young players that will exceed the quality of MLS or else they leave every year. You want guys who know their place is at the level of MLS.. who are good enough but not too good to leave.

Marco2K
11-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Well De guzman would be great.

MAYBE MESSI..lol

Cambridge_Red
11-01-2008, 03:54 PM
I can't see DeGuzman coming... yet.

wzhxvy
11-01-2008, 04:01 PM
I do think a big name player along with other good players will help TFC...if I was them I would not only be thinking about the onfield product which they obviously have to improve but how do you broaden the reach of the team...merchandising, a big TV deal in Canada...a big name player would do that for them.

Smokecell
11-01-2008, 09:38 PM
eh Bloor West, judging by your signature I don't fancy you'd mind Michael Mifsud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Mifsud) coming over ;)

devioustrevor
11-02-2008, 12:47 PM
I don't think Mifsud would do well in the MLS. He has wicked pace, but I think the fact that too much of the league is too willing to replace technical play with overly physical play could wear on the Mighty Mite.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-02-2008, 01:15 PM
some fans dee teams getting big name players and want the same...i don;t really care if we get a DP or not, don;t think we really need one, just a few more players and this squad should be in the playoffs next season.

Cashcleaner
11-03-2008, 04:18 AM
I could care less about the merchandising or the marketing that would benefit from a big name signing. I want to win. We need someone who can come over here and complement our present roster, provide some additional leadership, and score some goals.

Anything else is commentary on the subject.

The Kingpin
11-03-2008, 05:04 AM
How about we do both. Bring in a talented forward to improve our current scoring record and improve the scouting to bring in young talent to compliment the veterans. Why we need to do one or the other is beyond me. Also, I think a player such as Ibrahim could learn a lot from a professional forward who has been involved with top teams in top competitions. Every good club has a quality mixture or youth and experience. My opinion anyway...

BuSaPuNk
11-03-2008, 09:02 AM
How about we do both. Bring in a talented forward to improve our current scoring record and improve the scouting to bring in young talent to compliment the veterans. Why we need to do one or the other is beyond me. Also, I think a player such as Ibrahim could learn a lot from a professional forward who has been involved with top teams in top competitions. Every good club has a quality mixture or youth and experience. My opinion anyway...

I completely agree. Barrett and Ibbby could both learn alot from a soild vertran striker. They know more about positioning and pace then they do. They would bring the experience that this team desperately needs. Just look at our record when Dichio was out of the line-up. Nuff said.

Cashcleaner
11-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Oh for sure we could do with more experienced scouts. And you don't have to look too far for up-and-coming phenoms - NCAA is steadily churning out some good quality players and even a few bona fide gems here and there.

VPjr
11-04-2008, 05:08 AM
TFC needs a DP who can score goals. We simply don't have anyone on this team who is a bonafide goal scorer (like Juan Pablo Angel but I want someone even better).

We do need young talent too...the problem is that MLS simply doesn't pay young players enough. I've chatted with a few younger Canadian pros playing in Europe and they all say they'd be happy to play for TFC or in MLS in general but money is a huge stumbling block. Until that gets resolved, we'll always be stuck with the 2nd or 3rd tier Canadian players.

As for NCAA, I've stated many times that I think TFC would be better off trading draft picks for established players or allocation money so that they can afford to bring in better quality players capable of playing right now. too many NCAA players are long term projects. The only exception would be top quality Gen Adidas players because they don't count against the cap and it would be worth bringing in a young player (like Ibrahim) and developing him in a pro environment. We don't need more Julius James/Jarrod Smith types.

Oldtimer
11-04-2008, 06:26 AM
As for NCAA, I've stated many times that I think TFC would be better off trading draft picks for established players or allocation money so that they can afford to bring in better quality players capable of playing right now. too many NCAA players are long term projects.

We will have to agree to disagree, then. I believe in building for the future.