PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday, Nov.01

denime
11-01-2008, 08:02 AM
No TFC news today,for now.

:drool5: SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/) :thumbsup::hurray:

GBV
11-01-2008, 08:26 AM
there is a full-page colour toronto fc ad in today's sun thanking the fans.
haven't seen the other papers yet so not sure if they're there too.

wzhxvy
11-01-2008, 09:22 AM
SSG....excellent pose...hides the chin and funky nose...but the body A+

Damien
11-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Found this... nothing new, but it says the Guevara plan blew up :confused:

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=29333

TORONTO. Somehow, TFC fielded a few very good players - Marvell Wynne, Chad Barrett, Jim Brennan -- and still finished at the bottom of the Eastern Conference (9-13-8), which is just what it deserved for selling Maurice Edu in midseason even though he'd been going through a bit of a sophomore slump.

Putting so much faith in Carlos Ruiz and Amado Guevara, predictably, blew up, and if Barrett leaves for Europe and Danny Dichio retires, TFC will need to rebuild and retool yet again. Three years into the reign of coach Sigi Schmid, Columbus posted the league's best record: TFC will be 3 next year and isn't anywhere near playoff caliber, never mind a Supporters' Shield winner.

Fort York Redcoat
11-01-2008, 09:53 AM
That's the first I heard of Barrett and Europe in the same sentence. I thought the chicken little talk would be about Wynne leaving.:noidea:

rocker
11-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Barrett leaving for Europe?
there's no way Barrett is going to Europe anytime soon. He could have opted out this fall since his contract was up, but he willingly signed a 4 year deal with TFC and loved Carver and Winsper.

That's just a rumour he's starting.
Guevara had a decent season (at worst..). No way did he "blow up" like the Ruiz thing.
and then he says they aren't near playoff calibre even though they only finished 4 points away from the playoff calibre New York Shite Bulls?

Ridge Mahoney must be smoking dope.

King Jeff
11-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Aside from the ridiculous comments about us getting 'just what it deserved' for selling Edu, what does Sigi Schmid's record with Columbus have to do with us, anyway? Pretty lousy article.

rocker
11-01-2008, 10:30 AM
yeah the Sigi comment makes no sense at all.
Last year Columbus had 37 points and didn't make the playoffs
This year TFC had 35 points and didn't make the playoffs.
But somehow Columbus last year was near being a Supporters Shield contender while this TFC team isn't even close to being a playoff entrant? huh?
Talk about a bad use of evidence.

S_D
11-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Columbus is all Schelotto. When he leaves, trying to replace him will be difficult.

I agree that TFC is nowhere near supporters shield, but is a lot closer to the playoffs than they think. Even though many think a 10 point improvement will get TFC into the playoffs, I think we may have to aim a bit higher since the teams that get beat up will continue to do so unless they make major upgrades, and there is no guaruntee that Seattle will be able to field a competitive team, DP or not.

And of course this depends on what Mo gets his hands on this offseason. Get me a CB to replace Velez, another that can challenge Marshall for his spot, a DP forward that can replace DD if he leaves, and a central mid that can work with Guevarra and we are set. A tall order I know, but even if the CB situation is worked out, great strides will have been made.

He is hot for a player in the draft as he mentioned that he wanted to make a deal with Seattle. He didn't mention draft specifically but Seattle doesn't have anything else to offer as an upgrade.

LucaGol
11-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Columbus is all Schelotto. When he leaves, trying to replace him will be difficult.

I agree that TFC is nowhere near supporters shield, but is a lot closer to the playoffs than they think. Even though many think a 10 point improvement will get TFC into the playoffs, I think we may have to aim a bit higher since the teams that get beat up will continue to do so unless they make major upgrades, and there is no guaruntee that Seattle will be able to field a competitive team, DP or not.

And of course this depends on what Mo gets his hands on this offseason. Get me a CB to replace Velez, another that can challenge Marshall for his spot, a DP forward that can replace DD if he leaves, and a central mid that can work with Guevarra and we are set. A tall order I know, but even if the CB situation is worked out, great strides will have been made.

He is hot for a player in the draft as he mentioned that he wanted to make a deal with Seattle. He didn't mention draft specifically but Seattle doesn't have anything else to offer as an upgrade.

Robbie Rogers, Eddie Gaven and Brad Evans would probably disagree with you.

And so do I.

Roogsy
11-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Well...I disagree with you then. GBS IS their playmaker and like all great players (as diving scums as they are) they make the average players around them better. Without him, this team is barely a playoff team.

Damien
11-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I'd be interested to know Columbus' 2008 record in games without Schelamo...

rocker
11-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Schediver played almost all their games, so there's no real chance to compare fairly to see how they did when he was in and out.

taking a look at the Columbass rosters from 2007 to 2008 I noticed that they have the same core bunch from last year... but this year's group was supplemented with a few new players who ended up playing key roles. they also got more games out of their starting 11 than last year.

remember, Scheloser was on last year's Columbass team too, and they didn't make the playoffs. I think they just improved as a team with more familiarity, avoided injuries and callups, and added a couple key players.

jloome
11-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Mahoney does this every year, basically doing a year-end wrap that makes it blatantly obvious he hasn't done even the most basic research, let alone actually followed all of the teams during the year. He'll get into very specific detail on the ones he knows to make it look like he knows what he's talking about, then generalize about potentially obvious conclusions about teams he doesnt; thus the Guevara nonsense and his obviously not knowing Barrett just signed a four-year deal.

As for Columbus, they hardly had a steady progression; they missed the playoffs in year two and every one of their fans started this season calling for Sigi Schmid's head. Take away Schelotto having a banner year and this year might not have gone down as it did.

He's an idiot.

S_D
11-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Robbie Rogers, Eddie Gaven and Brad Evans would probably disagree with you.

And so do I.

Not putting those guys down at all. They are nice players. Schelotto sets those boys up. Trying to find a quality set up man to replace him is going to be difficult.

They need to figure out a way of keeping him. From what I have read GBS is a DP without the DP status as allocation cash was used to buy down his salary. According to some CBus fans on BS he makes around a million. I remember seeing an article earlier this year that CBus management were trying to figure out a way of affording him for next season. Good luck to them as we need to see franchises build their fanbases through winning (just not against TFC :) )

greatwhitenorf
11-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Would think that Mo might be interested in a young, fast striker in the draft, one with local residence.

And an NCAA player of the year award. O'Brian White.

Also interesting bit of news from Gerry Dobson chatting with Craig Snorefest on Soccer Central. He says Philadelphia's expansion franchise is strongly rumored to be unable to start as planned in two years and the league might opt to shift the 2011 expansion to one of the teams currently bidding for future MLS expansion, such as Montreal.