PDA

View Full Version : Ben Knight: TFC Fans take a bow

Oldtimer
10-31-2008, 01:51 PM
In the end, Toronto FC didn't just miss the playoffs by four points. They missed by four months.
June, July, August, September.
In that long, horrendous, faltering stretch of days, a rebuilt Reds roster coming off a promising start won just twice (thanks, Colorado!), drew five and lost nine. Throw in international friendlies and Voyaguers Cup matches, and the summer slump sank to 2-12-7. ...

[/URL][URL="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081031.WBsoccerblog20081031105207/WBStory/WBsoccerblog"]READ MORE (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081031.WBsoccerblog20081031105207/WBStory/WBsoccerblog)

BuSaPuNk
10-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Great Article! Completely agree.

Roogsy
10-31-2008, 02:27 PM
But the team and the organization need to know: that four-month drag through the desert didn't help.

OMG...QFFT!

This summer almost killed me. :banghead:

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
10-31-2008, 03:12 PM
TFC fans are the best in MLS that is a given .. Will they be rewarded thats the X factor ..
So far i don't see the club doing the most to ensure our trust that they will do it ..

sidvan
10-31-2008, 03:45 PM
As per usual, Ben nails it on the head. Good read. :)

JDG
10-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Thank you Ben!
Once again, you give us an article that tells it like we know it is, instead of a pile of tripe engineered to cater to the vision the Old Boys Club that controls the mainstream voice of sports journalism in Toronto media.

I'm sure it's a website issue, but does anyone know why I see – allthrough the article???

rocker
10-31-2008, 09:26 PM
once again, Ben Knight kisses the asses of supporters... guess he has to keep that readership up... ;) just kidding!!!! :)

The Kingpin
10-31-2008, 10:25 PM
:puke:

MG42
10-31-2008, 10:30 PM
:puke:

:fluffy:

twistedchinaman
10-31-2008, 11:03 PM
:fluffy:

?

:noidea:

Fort York Redcoat
11-01-2008, 10:11 AM
^^^Surprise, surprise. Ben writes a piece that's flattering to the fans. And it's a sum up of the season. What did you expect?

Thanks Ben. I appreciate your being a bastion of hope in media that thinks that cynacism is the only way to be informative and look informed.

"onward"

scooter
11-03-2008, 02:51 PM
yes it was a good article and yes we do need favourable press

Technorgasm
11-03-2008, 03:23 PM
FOP.

another year that left a brown frothy stain on the pitch.

Anyone else key in on the fact ath teh 2 points we lost Via the Penalty to FC Dallas
in the final minutes of the 2nd last week was the difference to post season.

ya.
it WAS that close.

so not only Did Cunny whiff us out of CONCACAF
HE flopped us out of the league too.

Roogsy
11-03-2008, 03:26 PM
You could say the same about the refs. They cost us a bucket of points that would have definitely seen us through into the playoffs.

The point is...it was a shitty year for results, let's look to next year. But it IS an important year for the franchise.

GuelphStorm2007
11-03-2008, 03:27 PM
We are the best fans in MLS by a huge country mile, And by far the best fans in Toronto. Now lets hope Johnston and Carver an reward the fans with a better product on the field. We are getting there.

GuelphStorm2007
11-03-2008, 03:30 PM
You could say the same about the refs. They cost us a bucket of points that would have definitely seen us through into the playoffs.

The point is...it was a shitty year for results, let's look to next year. But it IS an important year for the franchise.
I agree Roogsy the reffing in MLS was pretty dodgy this past season. At the same time TFc blew points in at least 3 games at the final minute.:drinking::(

David_Oliveira
11-03-2008, 03:30 PM
We are the best fans in MLS by a huge country mile, And by far the best fans in Toronto. Now lets hope Johnston and Carver an reward the fans with a better product on the field. We are getting there.

IMO, its not Mo and Carver's choice. It's up to MLSE. We put pressure on those two for no reason. Put pressure on the MLSE. They are trying but having to go to the board so they can vote is complete horse shit. It shouldn't be up to teachers. Let them stick to what they think they do best (teaching) and give Toronto FC as an entity free reign when it comes to running a Footy team

GuelphStorm2007
11-03-2008, 03:35 PM
FOP.

another year that left a brown frothy stain on the pitch.

Anyone else key in on the fact ath teh 2 points we lost Via the Penalty to FC Dallas
in the final minutes of the 2nd last week was the difference to post season.

ya.
it WAS that close.

so not only Did Cunny whiff us out of CONCACAF
HE flopped us out of the league too.
I think the loss against Chicago in the final minutes on July 12, Guevera missed Penalty at home against San Jose, Chivas last second goal for the win in August, and of course the BS penelty call against Dallas are the reason why TFC did not make the playoffs in my opinion. :(

GuelphStorm2007
11-03-2008, 03:37 PM
IMO, its not Mo and Carver's choice. It's up to MLSE. We put pressure on those two for no reason. Put pressure on the MLSE. They are trying but having to go to the board so they can vote is complete horse shit. It shouldn't be up to teachers. Let them stick to what they think they do best (teaching) and give Toronto FC as an entity free reign when it comes to running a Footy team
I forgot about MLSE and the Teachers. :noidea:

tfc
11-03-2008, 04:19 PM

Well that is probably the dumbest comment I have ever heard in my life. TEACHERS are not ANY part in the process beyond having part of their salary in a pension fund. The people who run the fund may have some say, but I highly doubt it, MLSE is a very, very well run company, and the fact that they make their teams present their action plan is part of the reason why. I don't know what all of you are smoking, to think that any sports team doesn't present major investments outside of their stated plan is ludicrous. YES, lets just give mo and carver FREE REIGN over all of MLSE funds, that makes a TON of sense. :out:

The Professor
11-03-2008, 05:12 PM
The lynchpin moment.... Four yards out from empty-net glory, Cunningham whiffed.

Um....I know we were all enraged watching Cunningham's miss, but I think - I hope - that Knight meant "linchpin."