PDA

View Full Version : Does this quote mean Mo is angling for two DPs?

jloome
10-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Okay, not to get all black helicopterish on y'all, but it sounded an awful lot like Mo has a plan to land us a second DP slot.

"We know who we want. There are two players I would like, and it is just a matter of seeing how we get them," he said at his season-closing scrum.

TWO players? Or two players and they'll get one of them?Given our other assets (draft picks and over a million in allocation cash), do we have the leverage for this? What might we have to give up?

Discuss.

The Kingpin
10-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Believe it when I see it... That. Is. All.

Beach_Red
10-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I seem to remember something about a second DP slot in one of those trades...

tfc
10-30-2008, 06:23 PM
two players he's been looking at and we will get one, i believe. two DP's would be pretty wild though, has any team ever tried it before?

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Okay, not to get all black helicopterish on y'all, but it sounded an awful lot like Mo has a plan to land us a second DP slot.

"We know who we want. There are two players I would like, and it is just a matter of seeing how we get them," he said at his season-closing scrum.

TWO players? Or two players and they'll get one of them?Given our other assets (draft picks and over a million in allocation cash), do we have the leverage for this? What might we have to give up?

Discuss.

dont give up any draft picks for over aged DP players...we would become the Leafs doing that. keep the young players and build from the draft.

gtaguy
10-30-2008, 06:26 PM
i found it more interesting when he said he had his eye on two players "overseas" does that mean they might be europeans that hes looking at ???.

jloome
10-30-2008, 06:51 PM
dont give up any draft picks for over aged DP players...we would become the Leafs doing that. keep the young players and build from the draft.

Dude, soccer isn't like other north American sports. The players available in the draft, from the college ranks, are generally there because they weren't picked up at an early age by a pro team. Given that European teams routinely pick up youth academy players pre-teen, that means the draft is largely fodder, unless you luck into a real undiscovered talent.

So you can't build from the draft. If you did, you'd never win a game.

jloome
10-30-2008, 06:52 PM
i found it more interesting when he said he had his eye on two players "overseas" does that mean they might be europeans that hes looking at ???.

Sounds like it. Initially I was optimistic over the fact they'd identified the players before the end of the season. But given how small their catchment area has been so far, that's a bit worrying -- does that mean they haven't even tried looking beyond commodities that Johnson and Carver know personally?

If it does, they're missing a lot of good prospects.

deschamp86
10-30-2008, 07:21 PM
two players he's been looking at and we will get one, i believe. two DP's would be pretty wild though, has any team ever tried it before?

New York had two DPS, Reyna and Angel.

LA essentially had two as well in Beckham and Donovan as Donovan was making llike $900k or something in that area I believe.

Keyman
10-30-2008, 07:25 PM
I think that the idea of us getting two DP's is highly unlikely. This quote just tells me that he has two primary targets who he believes would be beneficial additions. However, stranger things have happened.

Cashcleaner
10-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Personally, I think if we are interested in winning we should be going after as many DP as possible. It shouldn't be too much trouble to pick up another slot via a trade with another club, but we would still be putting 800 thousand against the cap by doing so.

Keyman
10-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Imagine if we signed a striker who could net us 15 goals and a central defender who was an absolute rock at the back!
:yum:
DON'T MAKE ME THINK LIKE THIS!

Beach_Red
10-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Sounds like it. Initially I was optimistic over the fact they'd identified the players before the end of the season. But given how small their catchment area has been so far, that's a bit worrying -- does that mean they haven't even tried looking beyond commodities that Johnson and Carver know personally?

If it does, they're missing a lot of good prospects.

Oh come on, you know they're looking everywhere... and getting turned down everywhere.

Since they can't simply offer more money than other teams who will also be interested in these players (please, let's not be going after players no one else wants) they have to use whatever advantages they can - the "thrill" of playing in Canada isn't going to do it, so if personal connections are the best they have, use them.

twistedchinaman
10-30-2008, 07:59 PM

+1'd.

twistedchinaman
10-30-2008, 08:03 PM
New York had two DPS, Reyna and Angel.

LA essentially had two as well in Beckham and Donovan as Donovan was making llike $900k or something in that area I believe.

Ditto DC.

So from what I understand, everyone else except for Chivas and Colorado have a slot (or is using theirs) -- Seattle went all out and used theirs already (eager little buggers they are), but if we ARE to get two, who could we get one from?

And oh yes...LOOK TO ASIA...

Cashcleaner
10-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Imagine if we signed a striker who could net us 15 goals and a central defender who was an absolute rock at the back!
:yum:
DON'T MAKE ME THINK LIKE THIS!

That's EXACTLY what we should be considering!

LA sucks ass because they put all their big guns up front and left the defense in a pretty bad state. Sure they've got strong forwards and some good mids, but the rest of the team has gone to shit. I've always advocated a change in the DP rules to allow one offensive (FW or MF position) DP signing and one defensive (DF or GK position) DP signing.

johnmolinaro
10-30-2008, 09:25 PM

Discuss.

he meant two players and they hope to get one of them.

John Molinaro

Dirk Diggler
10-30-2008, 09:40 PM

John Molinaro

That seemed obvious enough to me as well.

jabbronies
10-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Dude, soccer isn't like other north American sports. The players available in the draft, from the college ranks, are generally there because they weren't picked up at an early age by a pro team. Given that European teams routinely pick up youth academy players pre-teen, that means the draft is largely fodder, unless you luck into a real undiscovered talent.

So you can't build from the draft. If you did, you'd never win a game.

I disagree 100% on this. Look at the New England Revs. Almost 90% of thier team was drafted.

jloome
10-31-2008, 02:31 AM
I disagree 100% on this. Look at the New England Revs. Almost 90% of thier team was drafted.

And Joseph and Twellman, their two best players, both went to Europe first out of college. They didn't go directly to New England. Kelli Dube played top league football in Zimbabwe before he came to over to college and was drafted by New England. Kenny Mansally played pro in Gambia. Matt Reis wasn't an impact player for his first five years, because he sat on the bench.

So can you build a good team over time with astute drafting. Yeah, for sure. Montreal in the USL is a good team that could probably compete in MLS day in and day out, even though most of its players have been cut from an MLS camp at some time or another.

But it's doubtful New England would be a league force if Joseph had been picked up at any of his trials in England or France, or if Twellman had stuck at 1860 Munich. And look at what our drafts have done for us so far. Pat Phelan is well south of the Seth Stammlers of the world and Julius James looked like a freakin' train wreck most of the time.

You're right on the whole that I'm overstating the point, though, I guess; it's likely still the case that European clubs estimate the scouting potential over here. Last time I checked there was still only one registered FIFA player agent in Canada.

jloome
10-31-2008, 02:34 AM

John Molinaro

Ach! John, you're ruining my fun.

Red CB Toronto
10-31-2008, 06:19 AM
TFC I blieve has quite a bit of allocation money in reserve which they could use to bump down a big signings cap hit, so is Landycakes not a DP, I mean LA at the start of the year had three players with salaries over $400,000: Becks, Landycakes and our good friend Carlos Ruiz.

Regardless an Angel type, someone who could net 15-20 goals in exactly what the Reds need.

JDG
10-31-2008, 06:45 AM
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081030&content_id=200433&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

The Reds' Director of Soccer also hopes that plans to sign a designated player will progress next month at a board meeting. "Everything goes to the board on November 10th," said Johnston. "We're looking forward to it because we think it will pass, and hopefully we will have a DP here in January or February. We know who we want. There are two players I would like, and it is just a matter of seeing how we get them.

Fort York Redcoat
10-31-2008, 07:27 AM
It seems that Mo wants to find a DP overseas and that would rule out DeRo unless he agrees to sign for less. The Canadian link is still lingering and as much as I love my national team I can't see who would tear up the league in our present setup. I'd almost like to see a stronger Toronto before we add Canadian nationals for a DP. They'd be under far too much scrutiny at the club.

Agree that I want to see this done months before the next season. No more excuses about not being able to gel as a team. HIt the ground running.

Nov 10th can't come soon enough!

Oldtimer
10-31-2008, 07:32 AM
And Joseph and Twellman, their two best players, both went to Europe first out of college.

No-one is saying that you can build exclusively through the draft. You have to add a few marquee players. However, as I've said before, TFC seems to be following New England's model, which means that the bulk of our future players will be either through the draft, or from the academy team.

Steve
10-31-2008, 08:55 AM
But it's doubtful New England would be a league force if Joseph had been picked up at any of his trials in England or France, or if Twellman had stuck at 1860 Munich. And look at what our drafts have done for us so far. Pat Phelan is well south of the Seth Stammlers of the world and Julius James looked like a freakin' train wreck most of the time.

And Edu, who was arguably one of our best players in year one, fell back in year two, but still got us a 5 million dollar transfer fee. And Wynne, who is one of (if not the) best defender on our team. Yep, drafts are entirely useless.

Chevy
10-31-2008, 09:06 AM

QFT.

When you think about it, how friggin hard is it to "target" a player? I targetted Buffon and DelPiero for my 6-year old's team. Didn't work out in the end, but hey, I "targetted" them.

Wagner
10-31-2008, 09:07 AM
2 DPs = 1 DVDA

(copyright - the movie Orgazmo)

Beach_Red
10-31-2008, 09:08 AM
No-one is saying that you can build exclusively through the draft. You have to add a few marquee players. However, as I've said before, TFC seems to be following New England's model, which means that the bulk of our future players will be either through the draft, or from the academy team.

You're right. And as the salary cap increases it will be possible to hang on to some of the good players longer.

The thing is, professional soccer in the USA will only work if there are a lot of home-grown stars. That can change once the sport is established, as it did in baseball and it's starting to in basketball, but it's very tough to build a deep fan-base in the US with foriegn players. Just ask the NHL.

Wagner
10-31-2008, 09:09 AM
http://www.orgazmomovie.com/orgazmo-dvd-cover.jpg

canadian_bhoy
10-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Thread Title: Q - Does this quote mean Mo is angling for two DPs?

A - No.

Close thread.