PDA

View Full Version : It's done...Becks is going to Milano

Roogsy
10-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Jan 7 is the date. Considering that is less than 3 months before the opening game in MLS...I am not sure what exactly he aims to accomplish. But you have to admire his dedication.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/soccer/10/30/bc.soc.beckham.acmilan.ap/index.html

flatpicker
10-30-2008, 02:47 PM
^ it's all about being able to play for England... admirable...

Shaughno
10-30-2008, 03:00 PM
As he's stated in many interviews now, his sole intent with this loan is to keep his place in the England squad until he returns for the MLS season.

Nodoubtguy
10-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Only match fit players will be called up for England......

Canadian Blue
10-30-2008, 03:07 PM
I think this is a good thing for Beckham, he still deserves to be in the England team and what better way to stay match fit than playing/training with arguably one of the best teams in the world?

Maybe this will pave the way for some european players to take loan deals in the MLS during the european off season. Now saying this obviously your top (healthy) players won't becoming over but we could see people using the MLS as a training camp. Many people would hate this idea but realistically I pay my money to see high level footy and to be perfectly honest there have been very few occasions where I have been watching what I call high level.

joel
10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
I think the best comment about it came from Beckham himself. It's more than england, and more than milan, it's about his personal fitness and career.

He said something to the effect of that for the past 20 years he's been playing competitive football nearly year-round..with 3.5 weeks off. The last off-season was really hard on him, and I totally agree that at 33 if you're not playing/training nearly every day, you're justnot going to be top form. YOur body will get used to those downtimes, and if you are thinking about your career, you can't let that happen.

Glad the MLS realizes that, and that having him playing in top form in the MLS and around the world is most important. Plus the other ancilliary benefits.

canadian_bhoy
10-30-2008, 03:23 PM
I want my money back I want my money back hahahahahhahahahahahahhahaha
- Nonameboys circa 2007

Goodfellas FC
10-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Maybe this will pave the way for some european players to take loan deals in the MLS during the european off season.

I thought you could only take on loan players if there was a clause to sign him? (in the mls that is)

Oldtimer
10-30-2008, 03:35 PM
I thought you could only take on loan players if there was a clause to sign him? (in the mls that is)

Correct.

Eastend
10-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Question, why Milan? If he wants to stay visible for the England squad would it not have made more sense to pick an English club?

trane
10-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Why Milan? Cappello arranged for him to play there. He will be visible, and with the midfield that already have it is unlikely that they will overwork him. He will get top quality play, but will not be burned out.

Technorgasm
10-30-2008, 04:00 PM
I think this is a good thing for Beckham, he still deserves to be in the England team and what better way to stay match fit than playing/training with arguably one of the best teams in the world?

Maybe this will pave the way for some european players to take loan deals in the MLS during the european off season. Now saying this obviously your top (healthy) players won't becoming over but we could see people using the MLS as a training camp. Many people would hate this idea but realistically I pay my money to see high level footy and to be perfectly honest there have been very few occasions where I have been watching what I call high level.

CB pretty much nailed it onthe head for me.4
:hump:
GOLD STAR!!

seriously though, its obvious that CBlue is really quite bright.

trane
10-30-2008, 04:06 PM
^ Fuck, I have to say if I was not in the RPB, I may not have renewed this year, and tiered of watching so much shite, game in and game out. And if they try to sell TFC one more year based on the "atmoshpere" I will riot.

Shakes McQueen
10-30-2008, 04:58 PM
If you go to MLS games for top level footy, I think you may have been expecting too much.

- Scott

Vindaloo
10-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Question, why Milan? If he wants to stay visible for the England squad would it not have made more sense to pick an English club?

Apparently Premier League transfer rules state that any loan period for a player from abroad has to run from the beginning of the transfer window until the opening of the next transfer window. This period lasts from January until June, which would obviously rule Beckham out leaving half way through that.

trane
10-30-2008, 06:20 PM
If you go to MLS games for top level footy, I think you may have been expecting too much.

- Scott

I did not expect top level footy. But after two seasons, I am getting tiered of the many bad passess, poor marking, poor positioning, ect, ect, ect. It is the basisc things that are missing from the game, and it is getting old.

Oldtimer
11-03-2008, 09:20 PM
SI.com has learned from from multiple sources that Beckham's contract allows him to walk away from the Galaxy after the '09 season, two years earlier than any previous reports had stated.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/grant_wahl/11/03/wahl.beckham/index.html

Baggio2TFC
11-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Ouch, that could hurt LA for sure. Not sure about the rest of the league but LA would for sure be in for a rough ride! I don't think Milan would be the best palce for him(maybe his wife) but european teams would definetly be calling!!!$$$

Now we just need our DP!!!

Fort York Redcoat
11-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Becks must be kicking himself after the 2 yrs he's had here. Instead of this nonsense move for a couple of weeks (or more likely months) he could've gone straight to Milan after Real Madrid. It's not like LA would've said "You sign with us now or never David!"

Shaughno
11-04-2008, 08:43 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/grant_wahl/11/03/wahl.beckham/index.html

That's not new at all. We knew he could 'walk' after two and a half years...

Pachuco
11-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Becks must be kicking himself after the 2 yrs he's had here. Instead of this nonsense move for a couple of weeks (or more likely months) he could've gone straight to Milan after Real Madrid. It's not like LA would've said "You sign with us now or never David!"

Yeah, he's really kicking himself with the $100,000,000 he's made the last two years.

Oldtimer
11-04-2008, 11:33 AM
That's not new at all. We knew he could 'walk' after two and a half years...

I know, it's just that here's the proof.

Shaughno
11-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Fair enough. :p

Fort York Redcoat
11-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Yeah, he's really kicking himself with the $100,000,000 he's made the last two years.

Oh right because he's all about the $, right?

I think he was set for cash after his time at United. I was talking about the time he wasted here when he could've went straight to Milan and played at a higher level, got back in the England team without looking like a farce to an entire continent (ours) and then retired in LA after the 2010 World cup.

I don't think MLS would've said "No. You're washed up Becks."