PDA

View Full Version : No Beckham? No Deal.

Roogsy
10-29-2008, 10:51 PM
With Beckham loan unresolved, LA postpones match

BRISBANE, Australia -- The proposed loan of David Beckham to AC Milan prompted the Los Angeles Galaxy to postpone its Dec. 11 game against an Australian team.

The Major League Soccer club said it could not guarantee the former England captain would play in the exhibition game against Queensland Roar in Brisbane, The Australian Associated Press reported.

"To avoid disappointment for the many fans that were expected to travel to Brisbane from all parts of Australia, it was decided to postpone this game before tickets went on sale to the general public," Galaxy business operations president Tom Payne said.

Tickets were to go on sale Thursday.

The Galaxy will proceed with a Dec. 6 game against an Oceania All-Star team in Auckland, New Zealand, and organizers will try to reschedule the game against A-League club Queensland Roar.

Beckham scored with a trademark, curling free kick in the Galaxy's 5-3 loss to Sydney FC at a packed Olympic stadium in Australia's biggest city last November.

The former Manchester United and Real Madrid midfielder is negotiating a loan move to Milan beginning in January. He wants to stay in shape during the MLS offseason and boost his chances of playing on England's national team. Beckham said he intends to return to the Galaxy for the start of the next MLS season.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-29-2008, 10:54 PM
foolish foolish mls/galaxy...
did they really think Australia, let alone the rest of the world gives a shit about them?

Cashcleaner
10-29-2008, 11:14 PM
^ What are you talking about, Oss?! The Galaxy is the flagship team, ready to bring the light of proper American soccer to the rest of the unwashed masses in the world!!

All hail the unparallelled sporting entity that is the LA Galaxy! *

*Please note that even though the Gals placed last in the league tied with San Jose's expansion club, all the other teams were cheating or something like that and aren't really proper soccer teams at all because they don't have a name like "Galaxy" and didn't spend 25 million to field David Beckham for 5 years.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-30-2008, 12:00 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
my bad

Fort York Redcoat
10-30-2008, 07:27 AM
The scope of this move is damning of the superclub. Becks wants to play for Milan so he can play for England. The last time they went down under there was almost 70k to see him ($$$). Now by all accounts Becks is hurting the team he signed for.

He'll leave, the league will spotlight Freddie and the rest of the western sportsworld will continue thinking it's a game for supermodels, not men.

Well I guess MLS got more exposure to fairweather fans and soccer moms. Let's see if it sticks to any kids.

MLS- Stars over substance. I guess that's just how things grow over here...

Let me say that we can at least love hating good players like Angel, Blanco, Schelotto, Huckerby even if we can't watch them on Ellen.:smilewinkgrin:

The Kingpin
10-30-2008, 07:37 AM
^ What are you talking about, Oss?! The Galaxy is the flagship team, ready to bring the light of proper American soccer to the rest of the unwashed masses in the world!!

All hail the unparallelled sporting entity that is the LA Galaxy! *

*Please note that even though the Gals placed last in the league tied with San Jose's expansion club, all the other teams were cheating or something like that and aren't really proper soccer teams at all because they don't have a name like "Galaxy" and didn't spend 25 million to field David Beckham for 5 years.

Oh Cash, you are so incorrect!*

*By incorrect I actually mean correct and the Galaxy have been given all the tools possible to ensure they are the beacon of the league and they are blowing it immensely. This is another massive PR blunder for the marketing savvy Don Garber.

stugautz
10-30-2008, 07:38 AM
I wonder what all this will do to LA Galaxy season ticket renewals.