PDA

View Full Version : Are they going to have a Canadian Championship next year

Red CB Toronto
10-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Will TFC, Impact and Whitecaps be competing for a Canadian Championship next year even though it will not be leading into CONCACAF Champions League.

With CONCACAF Champions League being on a two year cycle, which means a tournement for the three Canadian teams will strictly be for national bragging rights in 2009.

I find it interesting that TFC is charging season ticket holders for a CONCACAF Champions league preliminary match up even though from I grasp will not be taking place.

wzhxvy
10-29-2008, 08:27 PM
I would presume since they made us pay for the games, that its happening...

Cambridge_Red
10-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Uhh... you sure it's a two year cycle that doesn't make much sense to me..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League_2009%E2%80%9310

Red CB Toronto
10-29-2008, 08:49 PM
I guess I got confused by the fact that the 2009 World Club Cup is being played in December, which means that the 2009-10 Concacaf Champions League will already be in process.

Parkdale
10-29-2008, 08:55 PM
they will still play for the Voyagers cup, but probably not go on past that.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Will TFC, Impact and Whitecaps be competing for a Canadian Championship next year even though it will not be leading into CONCACAF Champions League.

With CONCACAF Champions League being on a two year cycle, which means a tournement for the three Canadian teams will strictly be for national bragging rights in 2009.

I find it interesting that TFC is charging season ticket holders for a CONCACAF Champions league preliminary match up even though from I grasp will not be taking place.

the winner of the canadian championship next season will represent Canada in the 2009-10 concacaf champions league. This years concacaf
champions league winner will go to the world club championnship in December 09. So nexts season Canada cup is not for bragging rights, we will have ccl play next season with TFC involved..lets hope

Cambridge_Red
10-29-2008, 09:00 PM
I guess I got confused by the fact that the 2009 World Club Cup is being played in December, which means that the 2009-10 Concacaf Champions League will already be in process.

I'm just getting my head around it too :) I really hope we are involved next season. Montreal has certainly set a great benchmark for Canadian clubs.

Keegan
10-29-2008, 09:06 PM
CONCACAF Champs League is every year not every 2 years. So CC is still on for every year.

Bars92
10-29-2008, 09:15 PM
^Parkdale, your avatar would look sick on a t-shirt.

JonO
10-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Trademark and copyright issues notwithstanding ;)

James17930
10-29-2008, 10:42 PM

I think you must be drunk, no?

Winner of the '08 - '09 CL plays in the '09 CWC. Winner of the '09 - '10 CL plays in the '10 CWC etc.

Cashcleaner
10-29-2008, 11:26 PM
There's no 2-year cycle for the CONCACAF Champions League as far as I'm aware, but I think you mean the 2-year format of the Voyageurs Cup.

Basically Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are gonna play in the NCC/Voyageurs Cup in its current format until 2010. After that, they may decide to expand the competition to include amateur and/or semi-pro clubs. They might also drop the competition altogether as well, but I don't see that happening.

Shakes McQueen
10-29-2008, 11:34 PM

I agree. He should sell them, and put all of the money towards his legal defense fund, when Royal Bank sues him into oblivion. :D

- Scott

Damien
10-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Maybe include a 4th team eventually... like the CSL champ or a CSL all-star team?

Fort York Redcoat
10-30-2008, 07:55 AM
There's no 2-year cycle for the CONCACAF Champions League as far as I'm aware, but I think you mean the 2-year format of the Voyageurs Cup.

Basically Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are gonna play in the NCC/Voyageurs Cup in its current format until 2010. After that, they may decide to expand the competition to include amateur and/or semi-pro clubs. They might also drop the competition altogether as well, but I don't see that happening.

Hold on. If the Club cup is every year, the Champions League is every year, shouldn't the V cup be every year? How will the CCL entry be decided?

TFC Tifoso
10-30-2008, 08:32 AM

Isn't the World Club Cup always played between the winner of UEFA CL and the CONMEBOL (South America) club tourney champ anyways?

rocker
10-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Hold on. If the Club cup is every year, the Champions League is every year, shouldn't the V cup be every year? How will the CCL entry be decided?

he said the "two-year format" of the V Cup.. not the two year cycle.
the V Cup is on every year. but the format might change after the second year of the V Cup.

the confusion is that the runs for each Club World Cub overlap with the start of a new Concacaf champions league.

flatpicker
10-30-2008, 09:09 AM
the confusion is that the runs for each Club World Cub overlap with the start of a new Concacaf champions league.

So, what if the CONCACAF winner is in the Club World Cup... and they also qualify for the next Champions League... how do they manage to do both at the same time?

I'm sure this is less confusing than this thread is making it out to be.

rocker
10-30-2008, 09:11 AM
So, what if the CONCACAF winner is in the Club World Cup... and they also qualify for the next Champions League... how do they manage to do both at the same time?

I'm sure this is less confusing than this thread is making it out to be.

Club World Cup is in december or january... Champions league ends in Oct/Nov and continues in Feb/March.

flatpicker
10-30-2008, 09:15 AM
^ I was just going but what you said... "the runs for each Club World Cub overlap with the start of a new Concacaf champions league"

Hitcho
10-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Trademark and copyright issues notwithstanding ;)

Geek. Go and play your new Spirit of the West album JonO!!

I'd still want the CC even without qualification to the CCL. I've always felt playing in the CCL would destroy our season, because we just don;t have the squad for it, especially with the internationals problem we have to boot. Look what happened to DC this season, and NER for that matter. So to play (and WIN) CC without having the millstone of CCL to go with ti would be awesome.

And before anyone says it, do you really think MLSE will drop any extra revenue we get from CCL on us? I don't.

:canada::canada::canada:

rocker
10-30-2008, 09:25 AM
^ I was just going but what you said... "the runs for each Club World Cub overlap with the start of a new Concacaf champions league"

i mean in a theoretical sense... they overlap. :)

some people seem confused by the fact that the V Cup begins again while theoretically the final stage of the process (Club World Cup) hasn't completed yet. So if Montreal wins CONCACAF, they start playing a new V Cup and (if they are lucky) a new CONCACAF run even though their Club World Cup entry is still in place from the previous year, for the winter.

Fort York Redcoat
10-30-2008, 09:26 AM
WTF. I thought this was the goal all along! Canada/V cup every summer to find a competitior for the Champions leage every year to find out who represents CONCACAF in the next World club cup! If this is not the case then we're talking about playing Chivas or America instead of Man United or Boca. Big difference! Let's sort this out!

jloome
10-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Just to clear this up for people.....

There is no "two year format" or "two-year cycle."

The competition starts in one year, and ends in the next. That's why they call it the 2009-2010 edition of the event. Same as this year. The prelims were all in 2008. The round robin is in 2009.

Cashcleaner
10-30-2008, 05:39 PM
he said the "two-year format" of the V Cup.. not the two year cycle.
the V Cup is on every year. but the format might change after the second year of the V Cup.

Exactly. The current format for the Canadian Championship is going to last until 2010. We're still gonna play it every year. It's just that after 2010 there may be a new format - like maybe one with more teams included.

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-30-2008, 06:09 PM
The competition RUNS over two years because of something we like to call 'winter' in the middle. It still takes place every year, it'll end in the summer I'm assuming and start up again later in the summer. It just seemed to start so early for us because we had to play the Canadian Championship and lost. The UEFA Champions League works the same way, it runs year-round pretty much. Pretty much as soon as the final happens the early rounds of qualifying in the next year's edition are starting up again.

Redcoe15
10-30-2008, 07:02 PM
By all accounts, they should be playing the CCL next season. If for the very reason that I want VENGENCE!!! SWEET, SWEET, HORRIBLE VENGENCE PLACED ON THE IMPACT AND WHITECAPS FOR WHAT TRANSPIRED THIS PAST SUMMER! :hulk:

Why yes I'm bitter, why do you ask?

Azerban
10-31-2008, 08:00 AM
this thread was embarrassing to read for shame, guys

devioustrevor
10-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Isn't the World Club Cup always played between the winner of UEFA CL and the CONMEBOL (South America) club tourney champ anyways?

Nope, the club Champions from UEFA, CONMEBOL, the CAF, CONCACAF, the AFC the OFC. It's just that it is always the European and South American champions that meet in the Championship game. The likes of Zamalek and Al-Ittihad have yet to be able to knock off teams from Europe or South America yet.

oxygenatedbrain
10-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Yeah but...he's referring to the old Intercontinental Cup, which has been replaced by this new competition, since 2005...it used to be Libertadores champ v European Cup champ...b4 most TFC fans time...

james
11-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Yeah but...he's referring to the old Intercontinental Cup, which has been replaced by this new competition, since 2005...it used to be Libertadores champ v European Cup champ...b4 most TFC fans time...

since 2005 when its been World Club Cup these are passed winners:

Championship: Sao Paulo (Brazil) 1-0 Liverpool (Eng)

3rd place: Saprissa (costa Rica) 3-2 Al littihad (Saudi Arabi)

Championship: Internacional (Brazil) 1-0 Barcelona (Spa.)

3rd Place: Al-ahly (Egypt) 2-1 Club Anerica (mexico)

Championship: Milan (Ita.) 4-2 Boca Juniors (argentina)

3rd Place Urawa Reds (Japan) 2-2 Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia)
4-2. Pen.

2008......starts in December, i think Pachuca is representing as Concacaf Champions!

egoodwin
11-03-2008, 12:02 AM
I don't care for Man U, but I call for them to be the first English champions of the Club World Cup

james
11-03-2008, 12:03 AM
you guys are on crack...Concacaf Champions League is every year! :D