PDA

View Full Version : Earth to Mo Johnston...

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Fabian Delph, 17 years old, playing for Leeds United of Coca-Cola League One.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/leeds%2Bwalsall/video/x76zz7_leeds-united-3-v-0-walsall_sport

Payroll-wise, I read recently on here that we're on par with League One. Not a bad player to have, then. Of course, Mo won't even consider putting in an offer, he's only interested in ex-Premiership players who failed in the Premiership, not up-and-comers.

David_Oliveira
10-29-2008, 07:23 PM
If he is as sensational as the anouncers say, come January he'll be apart of a bigger team.

AL-MO
10-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah he ain't coming over here.

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-29-2008, 07:28 PM
There's something we call being pro-active and putting in an offer before Chelsea and other such scum come calling. ;)

AL-MO
10-29-2008, 07:31 PM
There's something we call being pro-active and putting in an offer before Chelsea and other such scum come calling. ;)

True but lets be realistic man. People who would want to come here, want to get to Europe....and guys that are already here and up and coming aren't going to leave...

nascarguy
10-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Delph's form attracted the attention of Premier League managers, with Arsenal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal_F.C.)'s Arsene Wenger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsene_Wenger) reported to be lining up a £6m bid for the midfielder

2007–Leeds United (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_United_A.F.C.)14 (3)

Delph is viewed by many fans as the most exciting prospect to emerge from the Leeds United youth setup since Aaron Lennon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Lennon) in 2005

Aaron Lennon 91 games and only got 7 goals for Tottenham Hotspur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tottenham_Hotspur_F.C.)

Lennon signed a new 5 and a half year deal worth £20,000 a week with Tottenham Hotspur on 8 January 2007, which will keep him at the club until 2012.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-29-2008, 07:33 PM

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/leeds%2Bwalsall/video/x76zz7_leeds-united-3-v-0-walsall_sport

Payroll-wise, I read recently on here that we're on par with League One. Not a bad player to have, then. Of course, Mo won't even consider putting in an offer, he's only interested in ex-Premiership players who failed in the Premiership, not up-and-comers.

why would Mo waste his timing trying to sign someone who wouldn't come here anyways?

CretanBull
10-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Right before this season began, Delph just signed a 4 year deal to stay in Leeds. He's from the area (Bradford, which is like 10 minutes away from Leeds) and Leeds have already turned down offers from Arsenal, Portsmouth and another team (I think it was Tottenham? someone from down South anyway.). The odds of him leaving Leeds are very, very slim. The odds of him leaving England are nil.

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-29-2008, 07:51 PM
I realize MLS isn't an attractive league for young players. But he'd be an ideal designated player. Young and talented as hell. Though I guess not being tempted by big money is another good quality in a player. :D Maybe he's hoping that by staying at Leeds he can help them get back to the Premier League?

andyc
10-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Right before this season began, Delph just signed a 4 year deal to stay in Leeds. He's from the area (Bradford, which is like 10 minutes away from Leeds) and Leeds have already turned down offers from Arsenal, Portsmouth and another team (I think it was Tottenham? someone from down South anyway.). The odds of him leaving Leeds are very, very slim. The odds of him leaving England are nil.

Yep agreed. Leave Delph alone! Leeds have a bigger need than even TFC right now...:D

Yohan
10-29-2008, 10:42 PM
I realize MLS isn't an attractive league for young players. But he'd be an ideal designated player. Young and talented as hell. Though I guess not being tempted by big money is another good quality in a player. :D Maybe he's hoping that by staying at Leeds he can help them get back to the Premier League?
And TFC can afford the transfer fee how? (remember. transfer fees come out of salary cap)

Big Bruva
10-29-2008, 11:06 PM
He won't be at Leeds for much longer and im pretty sure his agent would be against him coming over to north america.

Would be nice though

Shakes McQueen
10-29-2008, 11:08 PM

1) MLS wouldn't permit the transfer fee necessary.
2) A 17 year old phenom already in Europe, already being courted by elite clubs like Arsenal, isn't coming to MLS - no matter how much cash you flash in front of him.
3) One of the main things I believe we need in a DP, is a seasoned player who can bring some direction and leadership to our locker room, as well as talent. A 17 year old kid doesn't provide that.

MLS designated players will almost invariably be aging veterans (Beckham, Ljungberg, Blanco) or underperforming "rejects" from Europe (Angel). I think Mo would be wasting his time trying to sign this kid.

- Scott

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-29-2008, 11:35 PM

while we at it why not go after Wayne rooney too:rolleyes:

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Transfer fees come out of the salary cap????

What a load of bullsh*t. I'd like to know what genius at MLS came up with that one.

rocker
10-30-2008, 07:52 AM
i don't believe the transfer fee comes out of the salary cap.. i thought it came out of allocation money.but i think allocation $$$ per team is less than the cap itself, unless the team acquires more and more from other teams. toronto got only $500,000 out of the Mo Edu deal that could be applied to allocation money for players according to MLS rules.

anyhow, MLS is stingy about transfer fees. I've heard of teams wanting to pay transfer fees in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and MLS preventing it from happening. This kid would require a much bigger fee than a few hundred thousand. That's why we see so many out of contract older players and guys who's career is not going well come to MLS -- no transfer fees.

trane
10-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Nice, but the kid seems to have some real quality. I think this is the sort of player we should try to get here, but in reality it will be really hard to get him out of Europe.

Fort York Redcoat
10-30-2008, 08:00 AM
The ship has sailed. Even if Leeds were relegated again (just an example Cretan, Koryo. Calm down) The attention any player would get there exceeds an opportunity here. But I agree we should be trying to grab these kids before a Leeds comes calling.

fetajr
10-30-2008, 08:30 AM
this is precisely what MO shouldn't do (getting overpriced talent from the UK)

MO can go to a 1st division Argentinian club and find better talent just as young, and for less money.

Steve
10-30-2008, 09:04 AM
this is precisely what MO shouldn't do (getting overpriced talent from the UK)

MO can go to a 1st division Argentinian club and find better talent just as young, and for less money.

Yeah! We all need to keep talking about south american talent this off season. Remember how mad everyone was last offseason when we didn't sign ANYONE from south america? And how jealous we were because DC united (who have a ton of connections in south america) went out and signed 5 new players? Then remember how they tore up the league with those players this year? Oh wait...

Shakes McQueen
10-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Transfer fees come out of the salary cap????

What a load of bullsh*t. I'd like to know what genius at MLS came up with that one.

Not what I meant. MLS owns player contracts, and always prevents deals with large transfer fees involved, saying they "don't want to set a bad precedent".

I assume that means they don't want player contracts ballooning out of control, to the point where only wealthy clubs can compete. Because while an athletes salary might be manageable, it's usually the transfer fee that is through the roof.

- Scott

CretanBull
10-30-2008, 10:03 AM
The ship has sailed. Even if Leeds were relegated again (just an example Cretan, Koryo. Calm down) The attention any player would get there exceeds an opportunity here. But I agree we should be trying to grab these kids before a Leeds comes calling.

Yeah...he's playing on England's U-19 team - he's not going to slip under any radars. Before this season even started (and he only played 1 game at the end of last year) Arsenal made a bid for him so the word is already out.

The Kingpin
10-30-2008, 10:06 AM

Careful here... :D

Bradford v. Leeds... It's like calling a Canadian an American!! :canada:

CretanBull
10-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Oh I know all about the politics of West Yorkshire, believe me! I was just pointing out that Leeds was close to home!

joel
10-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Ya, it must be easy to scoop 16-19 year old soccer prodigies from their home country to play in a second-tier league...

...if you ever want to get a player like that, we are going to have to find him in your own talent pool. And then because our league isn't as good, someone will scoop them to head over to europe anyway, but at least they are with us a couple years. Money talks.

Toronto_Bhoy
10-30-2008, 12:09 PM
The boy is definitely not coming here and if he was smart he wouldn't leave England either…not at 17.

However he will eventually leave Leeds because the money will become too much for both to turndown. Alan Hutton pleaded with Rangers not to sell him to Spurs. But the money was too much for Rangers to turn down…same will happen to Leeds when the price is right.

Playing in the third tier isn't cutting it financially for a club of Leeds' stature and the cash they'd get from the boy's transfer would go much farther to moving them closer to the EPL than Fabian Delph ever could…regardless of his talent.

Dirk Diggler
10-30-2008, 03:50 PM
There's no way a 17 year old sensation from England is going to come over to MLS ... no way whatsoever.

ilikemusic
10-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Up and coming English talent leaving to play in MLS?

:smilielol5: