PDA

View Full Version : R.Johnston-Senseless in Seattle

denime
10-29-2008, 06:08 AM
Senseless in Seattle

The concept of the designated player has hijacked the soccer lexicon in North America and is taking everyone hostage.

I pray Toronto FC do not negotiate with terrorists.

On Tuesday the MLS expansion Seattle Sounders signed Swedish international Freddie Ljungberg (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/10/28/MLS-Sounders-Ljun-0/) in the famed designated player spot, meaning the 31-year-old will earn $2.5 million a year for two years in Seattle. ...

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/10/28/johnston_blog_seattle/)

Fort York Redcoat
10-29-2008, 07:55 AM
TBH I think this could be Seattle making a shirt decision in year one for attention knowing that expectations will be low on the pitch. What would it take to make Freddie's salary back in shirt sales and tix?

And if he has anything left in the tank-bonus.

But if this was a move by anyone but an expansion team...:out:

Shaughno
10-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Freddie worth $2.5m a year? Ha! Cut that in half and I'd consider it. He'll do well in this league if he stays healthy... but that's a wee bit pricey. I'd rather have Huckerby than Freddie at that cost.

Keegan
10-29-2008, 09:35 AM
2.5 million is a great deal. How can people not agree with that? Compare it to other sports, for example you have Jason Blake of the leafs pulling in around 5 million (?) right?

Or are wages just really low in Soccer? Ljunberg just two years ago was playing for Arsenal and in the WC

The Kingpin
10-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Freddy the Model will sell tons of kits. He's the poor mans Beckham in this case. Under the current modus operandi for the MLS, this falls directly in line. It is a smart move under the circumstances.

Oblio2
10-29-2008, 01:09 PM
2.5 million is a great deal. How can people not agree with that? Compare it to other sports, for example you have Jason Blake of the leafs pulling in around 5 million (?) right?

Or are wages just really low in Soccer? Ljunberg just two years ago was playing for Arsenal and in the WC

Apples and Oranges. You can't compare different sports...what about Basketball players who sign 7 year, $125m contracts.....

anyway. Lungberg is oft. injured. He's coming to MLS to retire. Thats all.I would say it's probably on par with what he was making back in the Uk.

40k a week X 52 = 2,080,000

mlsintoronto
10-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Shirt rights are part of MLS shared revenues so TFC gets 1/15 of all those jerseys. They only keep the shirts they retail.

Parkdale
10-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Shirt rights are part of MLS shared revenues so TFC gets 1/15 of all those jerseys. They only keep the shirts they retail.

so when is the #0 PARKDALE shirt coming out?
I know you'd sell at least one of those.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Good article in the sense that it does draw attention to the people that demand a DP no matter who they are, at what cost and the success they have on the field.
Id rather wait another 3 years before signing a 'big name' player with little impact.
As mentioned in previous threads, ideally we sign a player that makes a monstrous impact regardless of the name on the back of the shirt.

flatpicker
10-29-2008, 01:31 PM

^ retail? So you mean, for example, shirts sold at BMO or CentreSports give 100% to TFC, but shirts ordered through MLS have the profits divided?

mlsintoronto
10-29-2008, 01:37 PM
the retailer gets the normal retail markup. put another way...a Freddy jersey sold in a Dicks sporting goods store is no more beneficial to seattle than a donovan jersey sold at Dicks.

flatpicker
10-29-2008, 01:41 PM
^ I see...

This is a Communist league!

Kevvv
10-29-2008, 02:11 PM
And shirt sales are ruled by Dicks!

TFCREDNWHITE
10-29-2008, 05:29 PM
the retailer gets the normal retail markup. put another way...a Freddy jersey sold in a Dicks sporting goods store is no more beneficial to seattle than a donovan jersey sold at Dicks.

But...Beckham managed to attach a part of his salary to shirt sales..

So Beckham is actually making more money on shirt sales then TFC is...

HAHAHAH thats pretty funny..

Paul, when is MLS going to wake up and smell the TFC coffee???

kodiakTFC
10-29-2008, 06:18 PM
^ I see...

we are the reds you know.

MartinUtd
10-29-2008, 06:38 PM
^ I see...

But we knew that before with all the central planning and all. Another good example is this protection bullshit we have to go through every year.

No wonder Kevin Gaul said fuck it.