PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Wednesday , Oct.29

denime
10-29-2008, 06:06 AM
CSA needs to double budget, report says
NEIL DAVIDSON
Canadian Press

The Canadian Soccer Association needs to revamp its structure and more than double its budget to a minimum of $25-million by 2013, the organization says in a new five-year plan released Tuesday.
More than a year in the making, the association's "Strategic Plan" and "Strategic Activities" 2009-13 documents are billed as "the starting points to a co-ordinated approach to soccer's future in Canada."
The documents are long on good intentions and, at this stage, largely short of specifics other than identifying a myriad of areas that have to be fixed or improved.
Still it recognizes that the sport in Canada needs to be fixed. ...

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081028.wspt_csa28/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Reds players have fitness tests
Final day for team before offseason

Toronto FC's players were at BMO Field on Tuesday for fitness tests and medicals. The Reds finished the season four points outside the MLS playoff places after a 2-0 defeat at San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday night. To watch John Carver's media scrum on Toronto FC TV, click here (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=319). ...

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081028&content_id=199818&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Mo on Robinson future
Reds GM expects midfielder to be back

oronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston expects Carl Robinson to be with the team next season. There had been speculation that the midfielder could return to England, but Johnston is reminding the club's supporters that Robinson is still under contract. ...

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081028&content_id=199821&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Ibrahim called into U.S. U-20 national team
Reds forward named to 18-man roster, will travel to Spain

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that forward Abdus Ibrahim has been named to the U.S. U-20 Men's National Team that will travel to Madrid, Spain from November 15-23. The 18-man roster named by head coach Thomas Rongen will play games against club teams, with dates and opponents to be announced. This is the second time Ibrahim has joined the U-20 camp. He was called into the squad earlier this year in August when the team held a week long camp in Florida. ...

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081028&content_id=199829&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

MLSE negotiating to acquire GolTV

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment is pondering the expansion of its television holdings to include a soccer channel and perhaps a general-interest sports service modelled after MSG in New York.
Sources say MLSE has gone further than pondering the acquisition of a soccer channel. The company, which owns the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors as well as Leafs TV and Raptors NBA TV, is in negotiations to acquire GolTV, a digital service that airs European and South American soccer programming.
Larry Tanenbaum, the chairman and 13-per-cent owner of MLSE, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081029.wspt_truths29/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Impact settles for second in Champions League

The Montreal Impact finally faltered Tuesday night as it concluded the opening round of the inaugural CONCACAF Champions League with a costly loss in Cancun, Mexico.
Gabriel Pereyra scored the decisive goal with seven minutes remaining as Atlante FC rallied for a 2-1 victory over the Impact at Olímpico Andrés Quintana Roo Stadium.
It marked Montreal's first loss in six matches in the tournament. ...

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/10/29/concacaf-impact-atlante.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/) :drool5: :hurray: :thumbsup:

King Jeff
10-29-2008, 06:38 AM
I love the reader comment in the CSA article that says, "idiots with money are still idiots." Perfect.

scooter
10-29-2008, 07:28 AM
morning d
looking at it positively - admitting csa has a few problems ( cough cough ) at least is a start - we just need to make sure people like us keep talking about it and keep up the pressure so change is forthcomming

Fort York Redcoat
10-29-2008, 07:35 AM
The CSA doubling the budget...in 2013. Hiring one business minded guy to take on the old boys club. It won't make a difference if the old boys still get a say. They've hired people like this before and treated them like advisors more than directors. Idea men who want to shake it up and the CSA decide "good ideas but a little too radical for us appointees-for-life."

Lets hope this time is different.

Fort York Redcoat
10-29-2008, 07:38 AM
MLSE owning GOL? The worst scenario I can think of is them ruining a futbol channel with mixed sports like every other major channel around here.

Any body else have insight on what this channel could mean for the actual sports broadcasted on it and other existing competing channels?

Damien
10-29-2008, 07:41 AM
"Freezing temperatures, rain-soaked shale, gravel fields, gymnasium-type playing areas are not suitable to prepare our national teams to compete against our CONCACAF neighbours such as Mexico, U.S.A., Costa Rica, El Salvador, Jamaica, and Guatemala," the report stated bluntly.

"In addition the lack of a professional infrastructure further handicaps our young Canadian players. We found the CSA staff feeling helpless due to the lack of facilities available and proper funding."

I think this may translate into more indoor fields as we're handicapped most of the year due to inclimate weather. What a concept... training year-round!

stugautz
10-29-2008, 07:52 AM
The lead proved shortlived as Clemente Ovalle capitalized on a horrendous turnover from Impact defender Adam Braz, who mishit a clearing attempt.

:lol:

Shaughno
10-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Heyo! Somethings never change :lol:

Oldtimer
10-29-2008, 07:59 AM
If MLSE buys GOLTV, then that's where TFC broadcasts will be played (as the article says).
Hopefully, they can sign Nigel Reed, he's the best in Canada for calling the game.

Now imagine this... you can subscribe to GOLTV, but you'll have to subscribe in a package also taking Leafs TV and Raptors TV.:eek:

Stouffville_RPB
10-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Now THAT'S a SUNSHINE GIRL!!!!!!!!!

Parkdale
10-29-2008, 08:32 AM
MLSE negotiating to acquire GolTV

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment is pondering the expansion of its television holdings to include a soccer channel and perhaps a general-interest sports service modelled after MSG in New York.
Sources say MLSE has gone further than pondering the acquisition of a soccer channel. The company, which owns the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors as well as Leafs TV and Raptors NBA TV, is in negotiations to acquire GolTV, a digital service that airs European and South American soccer programming.
Larry Tanenbaum, the chairman and 13-per-cent owner of MLSE, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081029.wspt_truths29/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

holy shit! that's the big story of the day right there. There's just so much on the table for that deal. It could mean that we'd actually get to watch other big games in the MLS (if you care to), but it would also mean that you'd have to get the cable channel to watch it.

We're just done our second season and building interest in the club is still a critical part of our long term success. Sure the ratings on CBC wern't great, but they still broadcast the game into lots of people's homes, and that's a positive. Granted they've shuffled TFC back to CBC Bold, but if we were on a big run, then I'd want the games on TV where everyone can watch.

ACSertL
10-29-2008, 08:36 AM
I am not sure what the implications of MLSE buying up GolTV would be. I mean I love my TFC but that is the only channel that carries Bundesliga matches so I would be very disappointed if I had to watch Jays games instead of Bayern ones.

Fort York Redcoat
10-29-2008, 08:40 AM
I am not sure what the implications of MLSE buying up GolTV would be. I mean I love my TFC but that is the only channel that carries Bundesliga matches so I would be very disappointed if I had to watch Jays games instead of Bayern ones.

If I were you I'd be disappointed if it was LA v NJRB instead of Bundesliga. Gol covers a market already and to chop and change it would be a shame.

ACSertL
10-29-2008, 08:47 AM
If I were you I'd be disappointed if it was LA v NJRB instead of Bundesliga. Gol covers a market already and to chop and change it would be a shame.

Well either way it would be disappointing. I mean don't get me wrong if MLS games were available in addition to the other leagues they already cover then we'd be getting a quality channel. That could work seeing as how the leagues are playing at different times of the day.

Gobi
10-29-2008, 09:04 AM
I wonder if MLSE did acquire Gol, would they have exclusive rights to TFC broadcasts?
CBC has done wonders for popularising our team. Burying the games in the 400 block of pay channels could really hurt, although not having to worry about being delayed in favour of horse-racing would be nice. ;)
This could be a very interesting story as it develops.

flatpicker
10-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Now THAT'S a SUNSHINE GIRL!!!!!!!!!

I'd buy that for a dollar!!!!!!!!!

rocker
10-29-2008, 09:46 AM
speaking of GolTV, do they have the most unprofessional news broadcast in sports TV?
Whenever I watch that GolTV news, I hear so many mistakes. They misidentify players, their scripts are awful, they forget which plays are coming up... .. seems like Rogers Cable 10 interns doing that show. (sorry, i went to j-school and did TV and we wouldn't let that kind of show out of the room).
The FSC news show with Peacock and St. Louis and the boys is lightyears ahead of GolTv News.

Super
10-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I'd buy that for a dollar!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daoV-LsINiA

tfc
10-29-2008, 12:58 PM
take a look at episode 34 on tfc tv, both the mo and carver scrums ... im excited to see the moves they make this winter!!

jloome
10-29-2008, 02:53 PM
God, you young guys are so lame. That SSG is sooooo artificial blonde model. Not sexy, just vacant.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-29-2008, 02:58 PM
MLSE buying Gol is fantastic news, a TFc channel, MLS games that we don't get to see....and the best part is we can go tell CBC to go F**K them selves, this off season is starting off right.

AL-MO
10-29-2008, 03:03 PM
I didn't have GolTV until earlier this year. And on top of that its on my FTA satiliette!

I don't think you can grow your TV numbers by doing this. And thats the most important thing at this point.

tfc
10-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Agree with both posts above ... image if they had the footy show on it, nigel and devos calling TFC games, mls league coverage and european games in the offseason? it would blow all other channels out of the water, especially if it wasn't a specialty channel! screw other sports!

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Agree with both posts above ... image if they had the footy show on it, nigel and devos calling TFC games, mls league coverage and european games in the offseason? it would blow all other channels out of the water, especially if it wasn't a specialty channel! screw other sports!

its two channnels they are tallking about not one..Gol would remain soccer, theyn there would be a MSG type network, where the Raptors would be the main star, Marlies games, Rock games etc.

Redcoe15
10-29-2008, 06:56 PM
That Sunshine girl? :yum: :drool5: :D Oooooo, Yum yum!

That news about MLSE negotiating to buy GolTV depresses me. More money out of my pocket to watch TFC. Not a smart way to grow your audience, suits.

James17930
10-29-2008, 10:50 PM
But buying another cable channel is only a dollar or two a month, right? It'd probably be worth it.

Cashcleaner
10-29-2008, 11:29 PM
MLSE owning GOL? The worst scenario I can think of is them ruining a futbol channel with mixed sports like every other major channel around here.

Any body else have insight on what this channel could mean for the actual sports broadcasted on it and other existing competing channels?

Agreed. I was reading the sports section today at work and yelled out FUCK in the crowded cafeteria after I saw the article. The CBC should be trying it's best to get exclusive coverage for Toronto FC as well as the Impact and Whitecaps matches. Enough of watching soccer on Sportsnet or The Score - CBC has done a brilliant job broadcasting TFC.

SilverSamurai
10-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Agreed. I was reading the sports section today at work and yelled out FUCK in the crowded cafeteria after I saw the article. The CBC should be trying it's best to get exclusive coverage for Toronto FC as well as the Impact and Whitecaps matches. Enough of watching soccer on Sportsnet or The Score - CBC has done a brilliant job broadcasting TFC.
Agreed.
It would greatly hurt, growing the sport, if it goes exclusively to Gol TV. Now if they were to also show LIVE coverage of the national squad, they'd have my attention...