PDA

View Full Version : Landycakes to leave MLS??

OneLoveOneEric
10-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Sounds desperate too....
I also am a bit stunned by his take on how other MLS players don't take training and the game seriously.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/3274626/Landon-Donovan-may-follow-David-Beckham-out-of-LA-Galaxy-Football.html

yellowfellow
10-28-2008, 08:13 PM
what a prick

Kevvv
10-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Sounds desperate too....
I also am a bit stunned by his take on how other MLS players don't take training and the game seriously.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/3274626/Landon-Donovan-may-follow-David-Beckham-out-of-LA-Galaxy-Football.html

Guys getting paid $15K a season don't take training seriously? Go figure. Pay them a decent wage so they don't have to worry about getting to Walmart for their shift.

Keyman
10-28-2008, 08:18 PM
I don't think Landycakes is being a prick at all here. How can you blame him for wanting to leave? This league is a joke.

Also, this quote is very true:

"Nothing against our [Galaxy] guys, but in a lot of cases when you're making $12,000 or $15,000 a year you're worried about other things than getting up for training the next day, or getting ready for the game. That's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

I'm just tired of looking at this league through rose coloured glasses.

jabbronies
10-28-2008, 08:32 PM
I don't think Landycakes is being a prick at all here. How can yo blame him for wanting to leave? This league is a joke.

I agree with you. This is a blow to league. In two seasons they have lost Adu, Edu, Altidore, a former top player has critisized the league for being mickey mouse, their poster boy is finding his way out the back door and now thier national team hero is critisizing his home league and looking for a way out.

This just proves that although this league can produce good players, if given the chance, these players would leave in a heartbeat. The league is still mickey mouse. Players and coaches who have come over here expecting something more, are now realising it was all BS. That the people who convinced them to come over here have no fucking clue what they are doing when it comes to whats best for the game of football on this side of the pond.

Shakes McQueen
10-28-2008, 08:42 PM
There is no new information here. He says if the right offer come, he would like to go to Europe. He also states the obvious - players on chinsy developmental contracts have concerns besides training and practice. Nothing really controversial there.

- Scott

Beach_Red
10-28-2008, 08:51 PM
I agree with you. This is a blow to league. In two seasons they have lost Adu, Edu, Altidore, a former top player has critisized the league for being mickey mouse, their poster boy is finding his way out the back door and now thier national team hero is critisizing his home league and looking for a way out.

This just proves that although this league can produce good players, if given the chance, these players would leave in a heartbeat. The league is still mickey mouse. Players and coaches who have come over here expecting something more, are now realising it was all BS. That the people who convinced them to come over here have no fucking clue what they are doing when it comes to whats best for the game of football on this side of the pond.

There's really nothing wrong with the league that a higher salary cap wouldn't fix. It's time for the league to take that gamble - it may not work, but it also seems unlikely the league can continue much longer as it is.

And, you've given a lot of good reasons why TFC hasn't been more successful recruiting players.

OneLoveOneEric
10-28-2008, 08:53 PM
I don't think it's just a salary cap issue. It's a perception issue, and it's an issue with the actual quality of play on the field. The best will want to play in Europe. Simple.

Oblio2
10-28-2008, 08:54 PM
He tried Europe and sucked pipe...Sorry, In "Europe" he will be a bust

OneLoveOneEric
10-28-2008, 08:57 PM
^^agreed. He's not nearly good enough, unless his goal is the lower leagues.....

Shakes McQueen
10-28-2008, 08:59 PM

My guess is he either signs with a lower league akin to MLS, or rides the pine for a better team. Either way, he'll be back after one season - maybe two. I'll put money on it.

LA aren't a good team, but at least he gets to be a superstar there.

- Scott

TFC OZZ
10-28-2008, 09:00 PM
he's a very talented player, and I'm sure he'll be more successful this time around. I'm pleased that he made these comments.

Beach_Red
10-28-2008, 09:01 PM
I don't think it's just a salary cap issue. It's a perception issue, and it's an issue with the actual quality of play on the field. The best will want to play in Europe. Simple.

Yeah, well, nothing changes perception like money. I started making money and suddenly women started telling me I was good looking.

You're right, of course, being away from the centre of the soccer universe is something to get over, but big money "in America" still has some cachet.

ua-kozak_TFC
10-28-2008, 09:05 PM
i donno how good he will do in europe but i;ll tell you this much he will defently do better than Mo Edu...

Torcida
10-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Guys getting paid $15K a season don't take training seriously? Go figure. Pay them a decent wage so they don't have to worry about getting to Walmart for their shift.
Wouldn't it make sense if those were the guys who trained the hardest? So, you know they can get a salary increase so they can continue playing pro football instead of working at BK.

Toronto Ruffrider
10-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Okay, not related to the article exactly, but this caught my attention. Landycakes scored 20 goals this season, and Buddle - our lacklustre first-year striker - added 15 of his own. Combined, both of those players scored more goals than TFC - we had only 34. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

Fort York Redcoat
10-29-2008, 07:46 AM
I think Landy is what's holding Landy back. He's older and has a better sense of his worth as a world player and he should go to Spain. He needs to get over not playing for a European giant, though. He should look at UEFA cup teams.

As for the salaries I think the league min. should be raised before they add another DP spot but the players should be content with less than double the min. IMO.

Technorgasm
10-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Drastic changes = Increased Risk.

We as supporters have to take in the fact that the survival of the sport at large in N. America is still tentative. But I for one believe we are on the verge of the tipping point.

A strong business case for profit and investment has STILL to be established, even after its 12+ years existence. Only the last couple of years have majour sponsors, mututally beneficial partnerships, and broadcast rights been part of the equation. Only recently have citites started investing in SSS. Season ticket sales are on the incline, Exposure and popularity are steadily improving, the media is taking notice and international players have started to appear with more regularity.

These types of success are quite significant considering the track record of the NASL. It is blantantly obvious that we have a L - O - N - G way to go to achieve the kind of following other leagues have, especially in a such a sports saturated market, but the fans are there, the development is slowly coming, we all know the short comings, and we should all know the challenges.

- Have we done due dillignece to ensure Success and therefore improvement?

- Has the groundwork been laid in order to foster the enrihment of our league?

- Do we have the right people in place, with the right vision to take MLS to the next level?

Why are we STILL surprised when top players who have a chance at a fruitful career want to leave? It is obvious that the players in develpment can only go so far within a league still in development, but infrastructure has to be ROCK solid. Caution has to be used in order to ensure the sport we love so much has an honest chance of making it.

As supporters we have to voice our opinions, concerns and suggestions, but realize the limitations and meter our frustrations.

I am still waiting to hear the re-cap of a TFC Weekend on the radio on Monday mornings, . . . . . and TFC is a huge success in THIS City.

Keegan
10-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Landy can score on penalties.... sometimes. Big deal. His numbers for the US NT are huge because of penalties I mean they get basically one a game.

OneLoveOneEric
10-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Yeah, well, nothing changes perception like money. I started making money and suddenly women started telling me I was good looking.

You're right, of course, being away from the centre of the soccer universe is something to get over, but big money "in America" still has some cachet.

I still don't think money would do it. The fact is that nobody, no matter where they are from, has grown up dreaming of playing in the MLS, and that's an issue right now. I mean, Cristiano Ronaldo makes 100K a week from United, wins England and Europe, and can still have his head turned by Madrid because he's a Portuguese kid who grew up worshipping Spanish football. MLS can't draw on that at all, and that's a big hinderance for them.

jabbronies
10-29-2008, 11:45 AM
I still don't think money would do it. The fact is that nobody, no matter where they are from, has grown up dreaming of playing in the MLS, and that's an issue right now. I mean, Cristiano Ronaldo makes 100K a week from United, wins England and Europe, and can still have his head turned by Madrid because he's a Portuguese kid who grew up worshipping Spanish football. MLS can't draw on that at all, and that's a big hinderance for them.

No but the MLS is banking on people who dreamed about coming over to the Big USA! Lights, camera action, Movie stars and rock n roll heros. They are pushing that whole life style when attracting people to this league.

That's why big names are always being linked to LA and NY.

Oh ya and we have a soccer league that plays in 14 other cities as well.