http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/10/28/robinson-torontofc-future.html

John

Smuttynose
10-28-2008, 03:17 PM
good article.

crossing fingers robbo stays with us!

canadian_bhoy
10-28-2008, 03:20 PM
So long story short - Despite being under contract, Robinson wants an extension to his contract or he'll walk.

Broadview
10-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Nice again John.

$330k is the league non-DP max, no? Can't see how money could be an issue unless he's been asked to take a pay cut on a contract he's seemingly agreed to last year.

I wonder what his plans are for life after football? Coaching? He's shown a bit of a knack in bits of broadcasting I've seen him do on the score, maybe that?

I think he's still got at least a year or two in those legs, here's to hoping he spends them here.

Broadview
10-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Riiiiight....extension. Makes sense. Hell, give it to him Mo.

SLBuu
10-28-2008, 03:22 PM
i guess if we added allocation money to his salary he would technically be over the Non-DP max but still under....... that makes sense doesn't it?

OneLoveOneEric
10-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm still convinced both him and Danny are angling for more money.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-28-2008, 03:28 PM
interesting interesting, thanks John

rocker
10-28-2008, 03:33 PM
the question is how much do you pay him the extension years?
By the sound of it, Robbo will be renewed next year at his current rate, 330K. They don't say anything about knocking him down -- Carver says he's under contract.

at the end of next season he turns 33....so my guess is the length and price of that 2009+ extension are the debatable points. Would you give him 2 or 3 more years at 330K for each? probably not.... but I assume Carl wants some reassurances. If he can get an extension, that takes him to the end of his career in Toronto. If next year is his last, and he plays it out, he may not have an opportunity available to go back to England at good $$$ beyond that.

OneLoveOneEric
10-28-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't think you can give a 33 year old an extension, to be honest. I think it's an unreasonable expectation. Even the best players at that age (Giggs, Scholes come to mind) generally wind up playing year to year. Does he expect to be extended until he's 35?? Doesn't sound reasonable to me no matter how important he is to us.

canadian_bhoy
10-28-2008, 03:38 PM
the question is how much do you pay him the extension years?
By the sound of it, Robbo will be renewed next year at his current rate, 330K. They don't say anything about knocking him down -- Carver says he's under contract.

at the end of next season he turns 33....so my guess is the length and price of that 2009+ extension are the debatable points. Would you give him 2 or 3 more years at 330K for each? probably not.... but I assume Carl wants some reassurances. If he can get an extension, that takes him to the end of his career in Toronto. If next year is his last, and he plays it out, he may not have an opportunity available to go back to England at good $$$ beyond that.

That's exactly the issue from what I'm seeing. I like it here, I want to be here, but I don't want to be out on my ass without a contract next season and have to crawl back to England. If you want me, show me or I'll go back now and get a good deal before its too late.

Mango Kid
10-28-2008, 04:08 PM
With the plunging Canuck buck, he just got a 20% raise the last couple weeks.

JDG
10-28-2008, 04:56 PM
With the plunging Canuck buck, he just got a 20% raise the last couple weeks.

I'm pretty sure he's paid in USD.

Maple Leaf Red
10-28-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm pretty sure he's paid in USD.
Exactly. He lives in Toronto and pays his bills in CDN.

MG42
10-28-2008, 05:15 PM
That's exactly the issue from what I'm seeing. I like it here, I want to be here, but I don't want to be out on my ass without a contract next season and have to crawl back to England. If you want me, show me or I'll go back now and get a good deal before its too late.

well if that was the case why did he come in the first place and sign a 3 year deal? Boo-urns Robo.

BuSaPuNk
10-29-2008, 06:39 AM
Let's just hope that his family likes it here and he will extend his contract for the next 2-3 years. He has been our most soild player all year.

Damien
10-29-2008, 07:51 AM
I'm still convinced both him and Danny are angling for more money.

Agreed on Robbo. Dichio no cuz he's gettin older.

Keegan
10-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Let Robinson walk. He is overpaid and old.
Good player just there are better options available imo

Jack
10-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Alright, Keegan. Let's have the better options who are available and ready to integrate into our squad and already have the trust and a leadership role on our team.

Or even just ones that are available will do.

The Kingpin
10-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Let Robinson walk. He is overpaid and old.
Good player just there are better options available imo

And you were just endorsing Solano who is older in another thread. I know Solano provides a different dimension, but Robinson provides a needed dimension on TFc as well as being integrated into the structure of the team and club. I think an added one year extension is in the cards.

yellowfellow
10-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't have a problem with the extension. When Robo gets older, he can move to CB and he showed that he could play there.

Roogsy
10-29-2008, 10:33 AM
It seems to be about money. The only way around that is either a non-DP max for several years or giving him DP status and money.

Either way...tough decisions. I love Robbo. I want him to stay. But giving him DP status and money? That would handcuff us and not make us any better. This is very intriguing.

trane
10-29-2008, 10:55 AM
"He's a decent player. Better than average but not above average by MLS standards. I expected more (consistency) considering his background & training."

I had to quote this from one of the comments to the article. If you are better than average are you not above average? Otherwise would you not just be average?

OneLoveOneEric
10-29-2008, 11:22 AM
It seems to be about money. The only way around that is either a non-DP max for several years or giving him DP status and money.

Either way...tough decisions. I love Robbo. I want him to stay. But giving him DP status and money? That would handcuff us and not make us any better. This is very intriguing.

There are no circumstances under which Robbo as DP would be acceptable. I love the guy, but that's a joke.