PDA

View Full Version : TFC talk on Fan590 Now!!

BuSaPuNk
10-28-2008, 12:42 PM
http://www.fan590.com/listen/

Talking a little TFC.

flatpicker
10-28-2008, 12:46 PM
what was the news???

"Cleaning crew cleans Toronto FC dressing room"?

BuSaPuNk
10-28-2008, 12:48 PM
taking calls about Mo and the expectation of the fans and how to fix this team.

BuSaPuNk
10-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Wow that was a waste of time. Basically Cathel Kelly and the host agreeing that TFC needs a DP or they should fire everyone.

ACSertL
10-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Apart from Nigel Reed and Bob Iarusci doing the soccer show, Reed and Luke Wileman on Saturday mornings and the one time they had Gerry Dobson fill in for McClown I never really pay much attention to what the Fan has to say about proper football.

BuSaPuNk
10-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Yeah that is true. Thought that mabey it would be okay. Doug Faraway usually knows what he is talking about when it comes to footy...atleast from what I have heard. Mabey there right though. No DP no sucess?

yellowfellow
10-28-2008, 01:17 PM
My picture of MLS standings:

Columbus - No DP
Houston - No DP
New England - No DP

Los Angeles - DP

Damien
10-28-2008, 01:55 PM
DC's DP was a waste imo... and Kansas City's had little impact.

C.Ronaldo
10-28-2008, 02:12 PM
that means they need to bring in a better DP.

your telling me a high caliber DP striker wouldnt do something?

Or a high Calibre Centre Mid that can control things?

The teams just arent using their DPs wisely.

Blanco is the whole damn team in chicago.

Yohan
10-28-2008, 02:17 PM

Honestly. You'd turn down names like Gallardo, Beckham, Lopez?

rocker
10-28-2008, 02:18 PM

I don't believe it has to do with buying a better DP, but having a better team around the DP. The sad fact is, the cost of a DP is less depth around that player. If Houston had to knock off $400K from their team to fit in a DP, I think that might actually hurt them. They lose 2-3 workmanlike players who fit in the team game.

I certainly don't give a crap about Seattle signing Freddie Ljundberg.
I guess it's a nice little gift to the fans, who get to see a big star on what will almost certainly be a last place team. but I'm wondering how much LA fans like to watch Becks when their team sucks around him.
As we've seen, it's very hard to formulate an expansion team that doesn't finish in last place due to chemistry/cohesion problems and the changeover in rosters.
In my opinion, a first year DP is a waste unless they lower the 400K hit against the cap.

flatpicker
10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
- and this is why DP's should not count against the cap!

TFCREDNWHITE
10-28-2008, 03:08 PM
I don't believe it has to do with buying a better DP, but having a better team around the DP. The sad fact is, the cost of a DP is less depth around that player. If Houston had to knock off $400K from their team to fit in a DP, I think that might actually hurt them. They lose 2-3 workmanlike players who fit in the team game.

I certainly don't give a crap about Seattle signing Freddie Ljundberg.
I guess it's a nice little gift to the fans, who get to see a big star on what will almost certainly be a last place team. but I'm wondering how much LA fans like to watch Becks when their team sucks around him.
As we've seen, it's very hard to formulate an expansion team that doesn't finish in last place due to chemistry/cohesion problems and the changeover in rosters.
In my opinion, a first year DP is a waste unless they lower the 400K hit against the cap.

I wouldn't be so sure of that....Seattle so far has 4/5 signings and they seem to be putting together a great team! Last Place? I THINK NOT...

Nuvinho
10-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't be so sure of that....Seattle so far has 4/5 signings and they seem to be putting together a great team! Last Place? I THINK NOT...

I agree, Seattle will do well. But let's see who they pick in the expansion draft.

SLBuu
10-28-2008, 03:19 PM
if we can shore up our Defence, and bring in a DP striker i think we'd do really well next year.

can you imagine how many more goals we'd have if cunny finished his chances.

J .
10-28-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't think we need a DP to do well, I think that is just a marketing tool and people clamoring at having a DP do not look at also what TFC has, tons of draft picks, three first rounders. Young players like Barrett who will be in MLS his whole career, but will be a very good striker in the league. We have a great asset in Wynne which we will sell at some point, young players like Attakora-Gyan and so forth.

DP is overrated.

flatpicker
10-28-2008, 05:24 PM
DP is overrated.

- Unless it no longer counts against the salary cap... then it's all good!

I think LA's whining to MLS about this subject is good for the league.
Let teams bring in a star player without it hurting their potential to build a strong core.
It will raise the level of play on the field, and increase marketing potential.

Keyman
10-28-2008, 05:55 PM
JESUS!
Stop talking about fucking DP's

Blazer
10-28-2008, 06:12 PM
^ That's it! That's fucking it! Jesus Christ should be our next DP! Hallelujah!

Shakes McQueen
10-28-2008, 06:27 PM
My picture of MLS standings:

Columbus - No DP
Houston - No DP
New England - No DP

Los Angeles - DP

Exactly. And what do (at least) two of those top teams have? Good young players, that took a few years to build up.

Flash forward to Toronto, and we have the media/fans eating our management alive for not delivering the playoffs in our second year, despite the handful of terrific young players we managed to bring in over the course of the season, and our ideal situation for the off-season (lots of cap space/allocation, draft picks, an empty DP slot, and so on).

A DP would be a great addition, as long as we can find someone who fits well into our system, loves the club/city, and is willing to work. I don't want Mo to cowtow to the demands of supporters and media-folk with no long term vision, and put in some has-been that generates headlines, but not results.

I'd also prefer a slightly older player as a DP - someone looking for a new challenge, not a young guy looking for money. A good veteran would also provide great leadership, that aside from Dichio, seems to be lacking from our squad.

- Scdott

H Bomb
10-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Columbus also has a DP type player in Scholetto who is paid as much against the cap as any DP and will win MVP this year. The idea that a DP will make us win is silly, but so is the idea that no DP will make us good. A DP would be great, as would a solid bench and strong defence. IT's by no means a necesity but shouldn't be discounted because NE/Houston don't have one. If Chicago wins the Cup does that make having a DP a good idea all of a sudden? No, it's about making a working unit...I'd prefer a working unit with a DP.

Shakes McQueen
10-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Columbus also has a DP type player in Scholetto who is paid as much against the cap as any DP and will win MVP this year. The idea that a DP will make us win is silly, but so is the idea that no DP will make us good. A DP would be great, as would a solid bench and strong defence. IT's by no means a necesity but shouldn't be discounted because NE/Houston don't have one. If Chicago wins the Cup does that make having a DP a good idea all of a sudden? No, it's about making a working unit...I'd prefer a working unit with a DP.

A DP is just a highly paid player - some folks seem to forget this. The term "DP" starts bringing to mind players like Beckham and Henry, which isn't always realistic.

As with any player, the impacgt of a DP depends on who they bring in, and whether they can play in our system.

- Scott

Detroit_TFC
10-28-2008, 08:39 PM
JESUS!
Stop talking about fucking DP's

Amen, brutha.

I'm already sick of the off season. I'm going to be completely fucking mentally diseased by March.

BuSaPuNk
10-29-2008, 06:12 AM
I think the whole DP debate is rediculous. I'm just thinking out of the box here...but, when you think DP who do you think of? Beckham, Blanco, Ljundberg now. I think if we think of it like instead of getting a big name as a DP which is what everyone seems to jump to. What about a DP that is deserving a of the contract and title? A soild player doesn't have to be a striker. Just a soild player that has a chance to be our best player. I wouldn't have a problem with giving a DP title to a Stalteri (http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/players/profile.asp?playerid=27&sub=8&gender=male) or someone like that. A soild player we can build around.