PDA

View Full Version : JC's latest video

redrocket08
10-28-2008, 11:47 AM
John Carver's latest video is now up on the TFC website, from Tuesday's media scrum at BMO Field.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp

Brooker
10-29-2008, 07:06 AM
they went to the leafs game? :drinking:

Oldtimer
10-29-2008, 07:35 AM
I'm hearing all the right things:

* Planning already done for squad (subject to who we lose in the expansion draft).
* A Forward or AM DP (several targets identified).
* JC now knows what the opposition is like and what it takes to win in this league.
* Pre-season plans in place.
* JC will be watching the playoff race.
* JC has players in mind.
* Only one or two changes in players during the season.
* It sounds like JC and not Mo will form next year's squad, although JC will be consulting staff (I wonder what the Scot will be doing, if JC is doing his job? Probably just the financial end of deals).

He's saying all the right things. Now we'll see what happens and if the promises are kept. If it was just Mo, I wouldn't trust it, but with JC's taking things into his own hands, something may get done before the season starts.

Shakes McQueen
10-29-2008, 07:44 AM
I'm hearing all the right things:

* Planning already done for squad (subject to who we lose in the expansion draft).
* A Forward or AM DP (several targets identified).
* JC now knows what the opposition is like and what it takes to win in this league.
* Pre-season plans in place.
* JC will be watching the playoff race.
* JC has players in mind.
* Only one or two changes in players during the season.
* It sounds like JC and not Mo will form next year's squad, although JC will be consulting staff (I wonder what the Scot will be doing, if JC is doing his job? Probably just the financial end of deals).

He's saying all the right things. Now we'll see what happens and if the promises are kept. If it was just Mo, I wouldn't trust it, but with JC's taking things into his own hands, something may get done before the season starts.

He also stressed that a stable roster is one of the keys to success in this league, so I suspect you will see all of the new pieces in place before the first season match.

JC said in a previous interview, that he basically tells Mo what kinds of players he wants, and then Mo goes and tries to get them.

I am encouraged by the thought of the guys having a full off-season with Carver, as opposed to him showing up in January, with no MLS experience. Now he knows how things work here, and has had a full year to see what kinds of things need to be worked on.

I hope he liked the hockey game. I imagine if he's never been to one, it was probably quite the experience for him.

- Scott

Oldtimer
10-29-2008, 08:04 AM
I hope he liked the hockey game. I imagine if he's never been to one, it was probably quite the experience for him.

- Scott

It might frighten him, seeing how MLSE's lead franchise plays! :p

Beach_Red
10-29-2008, 08:46 AM

If all Mo does is act as a barrier between the MLSE board and the team, that's enough for me. If he can keep them from meddling and let the team be run by guys who know what they're doing that'll be huge. And the financial end of things in a league with such roster restrictions is pretty important. It's one thing to say, "I want that guy," in this crazy league it's quite another to have enough cap space, enough of the right kind of roster spaces and so on. It's good to split this up between two guys.

So far, Carver has never once complained about meddling from anyone in the running of the team. What a gift for a coach.

I hope it works. I'm not as sold on Carver as you seem to be. Wasn't it Carver who brought in Robert and then couldn't keep him interested in playing?

Still, you're right, they're saying all the right things. It's not a team run by committee, guys aren't stepping all over each other's toes, there's no disunity on the staff, everyone knows their role.

As important as it is to have everything in place before the season starts, we have to accept the fact that this league's schedule doesn't line up with the rest of the world so some guys may join the team mid-season. It's not ideal, but it's the way it is.

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
10-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Mo deserves at least one more year to get this team going.. I think he will make god in year 3

Oldtimer
10-29-2008, 06:18 PM
I hope it works. I'm not as sold on Carver as you seem to be. Wasn't it Carver who brought in Robert and then couldn't keep him interested in playing?

Not totally sold on Carver. We can't really tell after 1 year. He could be great (the players really respect him) or he could be a washout. I do know he's saying all the right things. We'll know by the end of next season.

However, do I know that I don't ever want to see Mo behind the coach's bench again.

Yohan
10-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Not totally sold on Carver. We can't really tell after
However, do I know that I don't ever want to see Mo behind the coach's bench again.
That was first thing I saw as Carver putting his stamp on the team. Booting MoJo off the bench. GM has no business being on the touchline

As long as Carver gets the say on team composition, I have no problem Mo making the deals

jloome
10-29-2008, 07:56 PM
It's going to be interesting. This year is the breaker, for sure, and you have to imagine Mo's so excited about the draft because, even though it won't produce game breakers, it's deep enough to fill the bench with some backup talent.

Beach_Red
10-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Not totally sold on Carver. We can't really tell after 1 year. He could be great (the players really respect him) or he could be a washout. I do know he's saying all the right things. We'll know by the end of next season.

Yes, we will. Some players certainly respect him, others it seems he can't motivate at all. The best thing about the current situation, though, is that the coach and GM are on the same page.