PDA

View Full Version : so i am looking to see what solano is up to..

bignickel
10-27-2008, 09:50 PM
in a nutshell,
he declines carvers offer of joining us but doesn't rule out playing in the mls in the future and has high regard for j.c.
after spending considerable time in peru i am aware of what a midfield talent this guy is. he is only 33 and would definitely be one of the best mids in the league and would definitely work well with a player of guevara's style.
i didn't realize he moved to larissa fc of the greek league, but upon looking at his outing this weekend i realize he is subbed off in the 74th minute by the one and only.....laurent robert!
man i hope laurent doesn't kill any hope of nobby coming over here.
afterall nobby has alot of business in lima and air canada has an 8 hour direct flight 3 times a week. i can't see him lasting in greece.
make the call j.c.

Bluenose13
10-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Being a West Ham fan & watching a lot of nobby last year, he is still a very good player & would be a great signing for us.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 09:58 PM
he is only 33? a bit late in the game for him...lets look younger, if we stick to hiring
old players ( yes 33 is old for a player) TFC will stand for The Funeral Chapel

Oblio2
10-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Another Laurent Robert

bignickel
10-27-2008, 10:16 PM
he is only 33? a bit late in the game for him...lets look younger, if we stick to hiring
old players ( yes 33 is old for a player) TFC will stand for The Funeral Chapel

i see your concern, but a 33 year old who is 'almost' world class with very little injury history, and is deadly on set pieces, would be useful with us for at least 3-4 years.
as much as the younger player makes sense they are also hard to come by. any under 30 with solanos talent would be playing big club europe.
solano is more of a valderamma, lets the ball do the running. valderamma got here at 35 and had 114 assists in 7 seasons. number 2 all-time.

Jeff s
10-27-2008, 10:21 PM
in a nutshell,
he declines carvers offer of joining us but doesn't rule out playing in the mls in the future and has high regard for j.c.
after spending considerable time in peru i am aware of what a midfield talent this guy is. he is only 33 and would definitely be one of the best mids in the league and would definitely work well with a player of guevara's style.
i didn't realize he moved to larissa fc of the greek league, but upon looking at his outing this weekend i realize he is subbed off in the 74th minute by the one and only.....laurent robert!
man i hope laurent doesn't kill any hope of nobby coming over here.
afterall nobby has alot of business in lima and air canada has an 8 hour direct flight 3 times a week. i can't see him lasting in greece.
make the call j.c.
Good player, I just found the "only 33" part funny. lol

bignickel
10-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Good player, I just found the "only 33" part funny. lol

i agree, shows you how old the players that have been considered over the season have been.
however, lets not forget that 4 of the top 8 goalscorers of the league this year were 30+.

Keegan
10-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Another Laurent Robert

lol

Solano is NOT another Robert. Robert is a lazy asshole and has been his whole career.

Both are complete opposites other than the fact that they both plan on the wing and played for Newcastle and now Larissa together.

Nobby is such a good guy and incredible player, I miss him at Newcastle.

bignickel
10-28-2008, 11:31 AM
lol

Solano is NOT another Robert. Robert is a lazy asshole and has been his whole career.

Both are complete opposites other than the fact that they both plan on the wing and played for Newcastle and now Larissa together.

Nobby is such a good guy and incredible player, I miss him at Newcastle.

i think all of newcastle misses him. he definitely performs very well on a crappy peruvian national team.
would take him on tfc in a heartbeat.

Oblio2
10-28-2008, 11:36 AM
We dont need another 33 year old on big money.
He was a good player.

CretanBull
10-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Blanco is 35...you wouldn't want to see him play for TFC?

Oblio2
10-28-2008, 02:34 PM
no....

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 02:54 PM
no....

Realistically I don't, but that's because he is a big giant cunt that I'd love to see buried 6' underground. Talent wise, I would take a player of his calibre, or Solano's for that matter, for TFC in a heartbeat.

SLBuu
10-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Realistically I don't, but that's because he is a big giant cunt that I'd love to see buried 6' underground. Talent wise, I would take a player of his calibre, or Solano's for that matter, for TFC in a heartbeat.

SHIT Jay!!

you always highjack these threads with ur dam comon sense and general know it all. What the hell is ur problem?

JERK!!!

ACSertL
10-28-2008, 03:03 PM
SHIT Jay!!

you always highjack these threads with ur dam comon sense and general know it all. What the hell is ur problem?

JERK!!!

He saw an episode of Kenny vs Spenny that had changed his life :lol:

In all seriousness though I agree. Right now we're a team without a talisman (talent wise). Other teams don't have one sure, but I don't care about other MLS teams. If we can bring in a quality player even someone who might be getting on in years, I will welcome him.

Hitcho
10-28-2008, 03:03 PM
This kind of call is a tough one. Players in that age range are generally not worth a punt, but in MLS they can be. The trouble is because of his background he'd require a huge salary, and do we want to be building our wage structure around players who won't be around for long? The plastic pitch also becomes more of an issue for players of that age, not least because he'd be training as well as playng on it. Hasn't he already had one bout of major knee surgery?

Class player, and there are others like him in his age range, but I'm not convinced we should be going for them. I'd rather see us with a younger squad of players which can be sustained in the longer term, although MLS does seem to be a league where one or two older guys can really make a huge difference to a team (Dichio, for example).

One last point - I think we got burned by Robert (and to a lesser extent Ruiz), so people will now be more wary of players like that coming in, which isn't fair on them, but I can understand theiur concerns.

Hitcho
10-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Realistically I don't, but that's because he is a big giant cunt that I'd love to see buried 6' underground.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 04:20 PM
This kind of call is a tough one. Players in that age range are generally not worth a punt, but in MLS they can be. The trouble is because of his background he'd require a huge salary, and do we want to be building our wage structure around players who won't be around for long? The plastic pitch also becomes more of an issue for players of that age, not least because he'd be training as well as playng on it. Hasn't he already had one bout of major knee surgery?

Class player, and there are others like him in his age range, but I'm not convinced we should be going for them. I'd rather see us with a younger squad of players which can be sustained in the longer term, although MLS does seem to be a league where one or two older guys can really make a huge difference to a team (Dichio, for example).

One last point - I think we got burned by Robert (and to a lesser extent Ruiz), so people will now be more wary of players like that coming in, which isn't fair on them, but I can understand theiur concerns.

I definitely agree to an extent. Robert/Ruiz will cause havoc on these boards anytime an 'over 30' player gets brought up. Class players are class players, regardless of how old they get. Blanco is one slow mother fucker, but he tears this league apart most days. Solano could potentially do the same. I personally never expected Robert to tear up the league, but I thought he would have done better than he did. In different circumstances... maybe he would have. I remember his first game against DC really brought back memories of the 'old Robert'.

King Tut
10-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Blanco is 35...you wouldn't want to see him play for TFC?

Hell yeah...Bring on anyone with Blanco's caliber or more! :hump:

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 04:24 PM
^^ Exactly. If they have the talent, it's just about getting them to apply it.

Hitcho
10-28-2008, 04:43 PM
^^ Exactly. If they have the talent, it's just about getting them to apply it.

Agreed. MLS is also the kind of league where you can change your older but good players relatively frequently to keep the team doing well, because there's currently a good flow of those players coming in, so the need to build a stable, younger squad is reduced. But still, I'd rather not build the team around someone who is 35, because even if you get a direct replacement when that player fades out in a year or two, it will take time to gel etc.

Bottom line is, if it;s a choice between an ageing player who would have been great in his prime or nothing, you take the player for sure. But if there's a choice between that and a younger option (or options, given the lower salaries) it becomes a difficult decision.

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 04:47 PM
The problem is getting a quality younger player who won't be gone just as fast as the older one. ;)

J .
10-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Hmm, I am not sure about this, do not know too much about him. I like how TFC is trying to bring in young talent through draft picks, trades for guys like Ibbe and giving others like JoSmith a shot. I still think we need to pair up Barrett with a DP striker.

Keegan
10-29-2008, 09:23 AM
We dont need another 33 year old on big money.
He was a good player.

If you watched this season.
Yes we obviously do lol

Solano would be TFC's Blanco. He is really a great player who can SCORE on penalties and set pieces. Scores stunning goals with both feet, can run, cross, works hard and is smart.

He would be one of the top players in the league

Hitcho
10-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Yes we obviously do lol

Solano would be TFC's Blanco. He is really a great player who can SCORE on penalties and set pieces. Scores stunning goals with both feet, can run, cross, works hard and is smart.

Hate to say it, but I tend to agree with this. I'd love us to have a team of formidable 25 year olds who will stay with us for years, but in reality it aint gonna happen. TFC has been getting in some younger plauyers though, so if we can manage that and add one or two older heads to bring talent and expereince to the side for the younger players to learn from, that'd be a good mix IMO. The trick is to make sure we don't get too many older heads on the side (Tyrone, Brennan, Robbo, Amado, Dichio are all currently starters and all well over 30, so adding more to this list makes it worryingly long).

jloome
10-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Yes we obviously do lol

He's very much the same type of player as Huckerby, full of heart, great on the dribble, good crosser, great shot. He'd definitely be one of the league's best and would make a formidable winger for us.

He might come for less than DP, too, since we have a TON of allocation cash that could be used to match his salary without affecting the cap. He'd be an excellent signing.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-29-2008, 02:06 PM
a-hem, althought Ruiz may play like an over 30 y/o, hes 28