PDA

View Full Version : New expansion draft rules are out!!

S_D
10-26-2008, 08:55 PM
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20081024&content_id=198758&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

10 rounds

Teams may protect 11 players between their Senior and their Developmental Roster.

If the Player's contract expires at the end of 2008, he will still be considered part of the team's Senior Roster. *RUIZ*

If a team protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player's option. The team may renegotiate a new budget number for the player as in previous years.

If a player retires, he will not be a part of the Senior Roster, but his team will lose its right of first refusal to him should he ultimately decide to play.

Players on a team's Developmental Roster, other than Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2008 season, will be part of the expansion draft.

Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2008 season are automatically protected

If Seattle Sounders FC select a Developmental Player they must offer him a Senior Roster position and he must be on Seattle's Senior Roster as of Roster Compliance Date.

IMPORTANT PART

For purposes of this expansion process, for U.S.-based teams, any non-domestic U.S. player would count as an International and for Toronto FC, any non-domestic U.S. player or non-domestic Canadian player would count as an International.

Teams may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus 3, provided that if a team has 3 or less international players it may make available not more than 1.

So that throws out the expansion draft threads lol

So here are our internationals of which we only have to protect 3:

Carl Robinson
Carlos Ruiz
Armado Guevara
J. Smith
Tyrone Marshall
Danny Dichio
Killian Elikson
Julius James
Rohan Ricketts

So here is my list, assuming that nobody is leaving or retiring:

Protected Internationals:

Carl Robinson
Armado Guevara
Julius James
Tyrone Marshall
Rohan Ricketts

Protected Domestics:

Marvel Wynne
Chad Barrett
Johann Smith
Brian Edwards
Todd Dunivant
Jim Brennan

Ibrahim is G/A and is therefore exempt

Your thoughts???

rocker
10-26-2008, 09:38 PM
i totally misread that "make available" part before... so last year, they had to protect ALL internationals except 1.. this year it's almost the opposite -- they only have to protect 3. am i right?

i think that list is what i'd do. I'd leave sutton unprotected under the assumption they'd never pick up his salary and have a backup keeper making 160K. Keller has to be getting 330K I would think. locking up almost 25% of your cap in two keepers would be a nightmare, even moreso if they sign Ljundberg and need another 400K for him against the cap. i'm sure there are other keepers available. i think they might snap up Edwards if he's not protected.. good cheap American backup to Keller, with a year already under his belt.

S_D
10-26-2008, 11:03 PM
i totally misread that "make available" part before... so last year, they had to protect ALL internationals except 1.. this year it's almost the opposite -- they only have to protect 3. am i right?

Thats how I read it. You can only leave 1 international unprotected if you have 4 or less. They say 3 but I am sure they meant 4 as 4-3=1...they didn't think through on the math side lol.

I left Sutton unprotected for the same reason as you. I doubt they would pick him up with such a high salary. I agree with you on Edwards too. I bet they would grab him if he was available.

If Robbo doesn't come back next season I am not sure who I would replace him with... I'd consider DD/Roselund/Nana/Harmse in that order