PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Predictions Revisited!

rocker
10-26-2008, 08:49 PM
So on the few days before this season started, I ran a predictions thread and collected your W-L-T and final rank predictions. The thread ended right before the Columbus match.
Well, now with the season over it's time to look back and see who did it best.
TFC Finished 9 - 13 - 8... with a ranking of 12 of 14 teams.
The RPB board average prediction was amazingly 9.3 - 12.5 - 8.3... with a rank of 11!
basically dead on!

in addition. three RPBs predicted the wins, losses, and ties, EXACTLY... give it up for:

:party:
Roogsy
Blixa
ben_vw

Next year we'll do it again and keep a particular eye on their predictions :)

Here is the original predictions chart... I was 4 points too optimistic!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/rpbpredictions-1.jpg

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Get lost!!! I don't even remember this.

Sure...THIS I get right. :rofl:

I can't believe you saved this. Nicely done.

rocker
10-26-2008, 08:54 PM
ya I saved this in a spreadsheet way back, but i hadn't even looked at it until recently!

we will follow your comments more closely from now on ;)

jloome
10-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Hah, right on. Came within two games (called for two more draws, two fewer losses.)

That overall average is amazing. Holy shit, we should all pitch in on some mass sport select buy or something.

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 08:55 PM
^ You have no idea how many people just had heart attacks reading your statement. :D

Damien
10-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Roogsy, Blixa & ben_vw for TFC GM!!! :D

rocker
10-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Roogsy, Blixa & ben_vw for TFC GM!!! :D

or at least hire them as consultants...

I can hear it now:
MOJO: "look lads, what da ya think of ma squad?"
Roogsy, Blixa & ben_vw: "no playoffs, get signing some new players!"

or MOJO could ask the board what they think of signings, and then take the average rating for players....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 09:03 PM
^ Very interesting. Never heard of it. I am more amazed at the accuracy of the collective average of the numbers than the fact that 3 of us got lucky with the exact numbers. It says something about that whole "wisdom of crowds" concept.

Or maybe that Red Patch Boys just know their stuff! :D

ben_vw
10-26-2008, 09:08 PM
HAHAHA! this is funny.

andyc
10-26-2008, 09:16 PM
So this means that on average the opinion on this board is correct!

Now all we have to do is find an average opion on here! :D:D:D

olegunnar
10-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Not to ruin the party, but how could anyone make anything other than a blind guess before the season started.

We didn't have a full squad and Colin Samuel and Tyler Hemming we're starting for us. Our bench was Boyens Lombardo and Phelan.

Unless people were psychic and knew we'd sign Ricketts, Guevara, Robert, trade for Barrett, Ibby etc. I think we should hold off on the back slapping.

rocker
10-26-2008, 09:32 PM
the predictions could be based on any formula... that's the genius of the wisdom of crowds.

my prediction wasn't so much based on the team itself, but generally how teams have done in second seasons + what it takes usually to reach the playoffs.
others probably went on the assumption Mo would sign a DP... others probably assumed the core team was at a certain level or whatever.

not everyone bases their opinions on exactly who was on the team at that time... could be also how other teams look etc.

iansmcl
10-26-2008, 09:50 PM
WTF is up with dag's prediction? LOL :p

CoachGT
10-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Where is my prediction? I got it in on time, but don't see it there

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-26-2008, 10:09 PM
9th spot not to bad...

Lucky Strike
10-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Very neat rocker! I couldn't quite remember exactly what I'd predicted. I was remembering about 9-10-11 but I guess I was a bit more optimistic in the preseason.

rocker
10-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Where is my prediction? I got it in on time, but don't see it there

are you sure? a couple people posted after the deadline and were not included...