PDA

View Full Version : Seattle to Unveil Freddie Ljungberg at Press Conference this Tuesday

canadian_bhoy
10-26-2008, 11:57 AM
From one of their supporters sites:

Emerald City Supporters members have been invited to attend the special announcement Seattle Sounders FC are making on Tuesday October 28th. The announcement starts at 5pm sharp and the club has extended complimentary parking in the Qwest garage south of the stadium on Brougham. There will be attendants there that will direct attendees to the 5th floor of the lot which also has the entrance to the Qwest Stadium West Lounge where the announcement takes places. Please be there no later than 4:30 pm.
For those that are interested in getting together before the announcement there will be ECS members meeting at FX McCrory’s for a quick roundup beginning at 3:15. However, we will have to be out of there by 4:15 to get over to Qwest so try to be there on time.
Regards of when you show up please wear ECS or SSFC gear to ensure that you will be admitted to the event. This will surely be a historic event which should not be missed.

Article on Freddie

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sounders/2008309093_sounders25.html
RENTON — Seattle Sounders FC is poised to sign Swedish midfielder Freddie Ljungberg as its designated player, according to a report that was to run in Sweden's Expressen newspaper Saturday.
Ljungberg, 31, was recently in Seattle to meet with Sounders FC officials, a reporter with the newspaper said, then departed and is now scheduled to return to Seattle.

I'm happy to forget all the reasons and excuses as to why we don't have a DP - but TFC needs to sign a DP for the 09 season. No Excuses.

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 12:01 PM
^ I was calling for one in our first year. Not having a DP isn't just about the team, marketing-wise we are selling ourselves short.

And this year, being in the playoffs could've been attributed to not having that quality player. I have a real problems with the delay in bringing in a DP.

And not having one by the first game of the season will be inexcusable.

canadian_bhoy
10-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Seattle:
Quest Field - Field Turf
Not NYC or LA
Not proven as a strong profitable MLS franchise
No SSS

Yet they manage to get it done - good on them I say.

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 12:09 PM
14 teams means 14 marketable stars. Most teams in MLS need that marketing power and yet most have not tapped it. I just don't get it.

Not to mention actually bringing in some quality instead of journeymen into the league.

wzhxvy
10-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Lets see what you can do MO...big boy...no talk this time...Just Do it Baby

Kickit09
10-26-2008, 01:53 PM
thats how you do it Mo

this just proves how full of shit Mo and MLSE are. all those excuses about first year team, field turf, salary cap, blah blah blah. seattle and san jose are putting MLSE to shame.

MLSE get so much credit and praise from garber and MLS when its really the supporters that make TFC what it is, something MLSE has no control over.

ensco
10-26-2008, 02:04 PM
This is depressing on a number of levels. The facts of life are..

1) There are a whole bunch of cities in MLS that millionaires would rather live in.
2) We have corporate owners who don't need to do this.

King Tut
10-26-2008, 03:34 PM
The only thing Mo is good at is sniffing his coke! Fuck you Mo Johnston...(if you're reading this)

Next year there will be alot more anti-Mo banners, chants and so on coming out of 127. That's for sure.

Beach_Red
10-26-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm happy to forget all the reasons and excuses as to why we don't have a DP - but TFC needs to sign a DP for the 09 season. No Excuses.

Why? Does the team that wins the MLS Cup every year always have a DP? Is it some kind of automatic route to success?

Or, can it just as often be a distraction and work against a team playing as a team? (which is already a problem here)

Sure, if the right guy with the right attitude is available and wants to come to Toronto, sign him, but don't just go signing someone for the sake of having a 'name,' we don't need that here.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Why? Does the team that wins the MLS Cup every year always have a DP? Is it some kind of automatic route to success?

Or, can it just as often be a distraction and work against a team playing as a team? (which is already a problem here)

Sure, if the right guy with the right attitude is available and wants to come to Toronto, sign him, but don't just go signing someone for the sake of having a 'name,' we don't need that here.

thank you. exactly.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-26-2008, 03:58 PM
i bet Ljungberg spends half his season injured too

King Tut
10-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Ljungberg is going to merk this league!

Too bad we can't sign someone half of Ljungberg. Our DP will be Bangladesh's Player of the Year! :D

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 04:25 PM

That excuse of winning teams not having a DP was debunked long ago. Unless you are willing to wait 6 or 7 years of mediocrity, a DP is necessary.

SanStarko
10-26-2008, 04:41 PM
So they're signing an injury prone player who's had numerous problems with his hamstring and he's going to be playing on artificial turf.

Surely I'm not the only one who can spot the slight problem there.

Signing the right DP is all well and good. Signing an injury prone DP just for the sake of it is hardly the sort of thing we should be looking to do.

Beach_Red
10-26-2008, 04:47 PM
That excuse of winning teams not having a DP was debunked long ago. Unless you are willing to wait 6 or 7 years of mediocrity, a DP is necessary.

I just think, looking at all the problems this team has, a DP is a low priority. It's too often just a publicity stunt. We can't get the guys who are already here to play together as a team, so bringing in one "special designated player" into the mix doesn't seem like it would work. Will Guevara and Robinson suddenly agree on who's running the midfield with the addition of a DP striker?

6 or 7 years seems too long, but it looks like it's going to take 3 or 4 to actually build up a decent core group that the addition of a DP would really help.

So maybe next year should be the year. Do you think we have that core group now?

wzhxvy
10-26-2008, 05:08 PM
How about we have a DP now and a DP in six years from now...at the end of the day, the DP is one high end player that will be part of the team. We need to have a team around the DP no question...but we need a DP.

And the rumour about Dero irks me...sure would love to have him play here but please do not make him a DP when he is not one today...

Nuvinho
10-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Seattle so far have made some very good signings. The 4 players they have provide a great foundation for the team. If they pick well in the expansion draft, I don't think they will finish last......that spot is kept for the Galaxy again!!!

King Tut
10-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Personally, I think a DP is one of our highest priorities.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-26-2008, 05:17 PM
How about we have a DP now and a DP in six years from now...at the end of the day, the DP is one high end player that will be part of the team. We need to have a team around the DP no question...but we need a DP.

And the rumour about Dero irks me...sure would love to have him play here but please do not make him a DP when he is not one today...

I wouldnt worry about that rumor at all, theres no substance to it adn its basically just a bunch of people hoping itll come true.
We have no need for an attacking midfielder, we have one and dude is not leaving houston anytime soon

Ossington Mental Youth
10-26-2008, 05:18 PM
i think a DP couldnt hurt (prob contribute) but i dont think its a priority, i think some stable players (including a commanding CB) is more of a priority.

canadian_bhoy
10-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Personally, I think a DP is one of our highest priorities.

I agree. The goal of the team should be to create the most talented team possible - if you have the ability and resources to spend a significant amount of money on a top level player then you should do it ASAP.

Imagine what a 15 goal scorer would have done for our team this season.

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 07:29 PM
^ Boggles the mind. It is so fundamental, I can't understand the justification for NOT bringing someone in. I understand the whole "bringing in the right guy" but that surely doesn't take 2 years to figure out.

OneLoveOneEric
10-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Most people here have such a hard time believing that big time athletes just don't want to play in Toronto. It's not the league, it's not the turf. They're not interested in Canada, and we have little we can do to remedy that other than by throwing money at them.

Dirk Diggler
10-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Ljungberg is going to merk this league!

Too bad we can't sign someone half of Ljungberg. Our DP will be Bangladesh's Player of the Year! :D

Don't get your hopes up man.

King Tut
10-26-2008, 07:42 PM
I agree. The goal of the team should be to create the most talented team possible - if you have the ability and resources to spend a significant amount of money on a top level player then you should do it ASAP.

Imagine what a 15 goal scorer would have done for our team this season.

100% agree on everything you said. I was expecting a signing for the second season, but if we don't get that designated player (that you were promised on the second deck of BMO Field during the RPB interview), the supporters need to take a stand of some sort. Even though I'm very pessimistic that MLSE will bring us anything more than a DP from Bangladesh, I still want to remind them that we're not looking for just any designated player, but a "World XI player that was/is one of the best in the world" like it was reported. Call me crazy or whatever, but if they said World XI, then I'm expecting someone big, not a second rate somewhat known player. he World XI players (considering it would be a striker/attack minded player) I have in mind are people like Crespo, Requelme, Ronaldo, Thiery Henry since he was rumored to MLS and so on. If MLSE plans to bring in a second rate fucker, then they should not have got our expectations up and told us this "World XI" stuff. Anything less than a "big name and worthy DP" will be a disappointed for me.

How will MLSE bring in someone respectable and worthy? DISH OUT MONEY! Make a $10 million offer and you'll get some responses to choose from!

King Tut
10-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Don't get your hopes up man.

You're probably right. I should expect someone a bit lower. Maybe a DP from Guam? :rolleyes:

Dirk Diggler
10-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Most people here have such a hard time believing that big time athletes just don't want to play in Toronto. It's not the league, it's not the turf. They're not interested in Canada, and we have little we can do to remedy that other than by throwing money at them.

Hence the concept of "designated player".

And thats a very bull crap excuse ... maybe you've bought into what every Toronto sports club GM has uttered to save his ass over the years. Its nothing but a excuse. Toronto is well reputated throughout the world. Obviously it may not be as popular a destination as NY, LA or even Chicago but it is not looked down upon, thats for sure. Anyone who thinks Seattle is more popular than Toronto is just smoking some good shit.

Chevy
10-26-2008, 07:45 PM

For the most part I agree, with the exception that a DP is not needed for a first year team.

Unless you're gonna bring in Messi who could score 50 playing with my grandmother, the Seattle DP will sell some tickets and probably not much more.

Jack
10-26-2008, 07:50 PM
You can't really make the argument as to whether the DP will bring a team success or not, as it's too new of an implementation in the league.

My feeling is, if you add a very good player to a team, it should make the team better.

There are always mitigating circumstances, but if we had a poacher out there on the end of some of the chances we had during our slump this season, I think we'd be gearing up for the playoffs right now with some hope, shoddy defence or no.

Imagine Juan Pablo Angel instead of Cunny.

If we can get a player like that as our DP, I think we would have been good for 3 or 4 more wins this season and a solid playoff berth.

This doesn't take away from the fact that we absolutely need to shore up the backline and make sure Robbo and Ricketts, as well as Danny D, stick around.

The thing I've seen with our team is, when Dichio is healthy and playing well, our whole team plays better, including the D, because we are more balanced.

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 07:53 PM
For the most part I agree, with the exception that a DP is not needed for a first year team.

Unless you're gonna bring in Messi who could score 50 playing with my grandmother, the Seattle DP will sell some tickets and probably not much more.

Like it has been said many times before, we are victims of our own success.

But can you imagine had it been a real poacher up front instead of Cunny all season?

I guarantee you we'd be getting geared up for playoff action.

Jack
10-26-2008, 07:53 PM
You can't really make the argument as to whether the DP will bring a team success or not, as it's too new of an implementation in the league.

My feeling is, if you add a very good player to a team, it should make the team better.

There are always mitigating circumstances, but if we had a poacher out there on the end of some of the chances we had during our slump this season, I think we'd be gearing up for the playoffs right now with some hope, shoddy defence or no.

Imagine Juan Pablo Angel instead of Cunny.

If we can get a player like that as our DP, I think we would have been good for 3 or 4 more wins this season and a solid playoff berth.

This doesn't take away from the fact that we absolutely need to shore up the backline and make sure Robbo and Ricketts, as well as Danny D, stick around.

The thing I've seen with our team is, when Dichio is healthy and playing well, our whole team plays better, including the D, because we are more balanced.

Like it has been said many times before, we are victims of our own success.

But can you imagine had it been a real poacher up front instead of Cunny all season?

I guarantee you we'd be getting geared up for playoff action.

Is there an echo in here? :rolleyes:

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 07:55 PM
LOL! Great minds think alike.

wzhxvy
10-26-2008, 07:57 PM
^ Ah how sweet...dont they have private rooms in this forum ?

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Want in? I am very experimental and open.

wzhxvy
10-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Are you into some friction in the kitchen ?

And I do not want to d*** block the President but these are desperate times...

GeorgeB
10-26-2008, 08:08 PM
mlse wasnt looking at spending dp money this year. the guys they were looking at(Savo Milosevic ,Joao Pinto,Hakan Sukur,and Huckerby) were never going to be signed as dp's .they would have got Robert money and thats why none of them came over.i really think we could have had Huckerby if we gave him a dp salary.Srdjan Djekanovic told me at last years ticket relocation that Savo enjoyed everything about Toronto (the city,the fans,nightlife)but they werent offering him enough money for him to move to north america.

wzhxvy
10-26-2008, 08:10 PM
I would rather overpay significantly and get a real DP then overpay slightly for a non DP to get a player here...would be a waste of a DP.

I am just hoping against hope because I know the Teacher's pension fund is in trouble and with the US dollar...the cheap skates and MLSE might not have the will to get a real DP...I hope I am wrong

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Are you into some friction in the kitchen ?

And I do not want to d*** block the President but these are desperate times...

:rofl:

Zing!

OneLoveOneEric
10-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Hence the concept of "designated player".

And thats a very bull crap excuse ... maybe you've bought into what every Toronto sports club GM has uttered to save his ass over the years. Its nothing but a excuse. Toronto is well reputated throughout the world. Obviously it may not be as popular a destination as NY, LA or even Chicago but it is not looked down upon, thats for sure. Anyone who thinks Seattle is more popular than Toronto is just smoking some good shit.

I don't think I agree. I think the USA is the USA to some of these guys.....

King Tut
10-26-2008, 08:21 PM
I don't think I agree. I think the USA is the USA to some of these guys.....

That's where the money comes in...MONEY TALKS!

Appaerntly MLSE has alot of it....:rolleyes:

james
10-26-2008, 08:25 PM
fuck getting a big name DP. Toronto doesn't need that to sell tickets.

What they need is a good player, who is worth money but isn't a big name. A player who msot people might not know much about but who could actually help the team win. And maybe make a name for himself in MLS rather then getting a player who got his name in another league and is now washed up.

Jack
10-26-2008, 08:38 PM

What they need is a good player, who is worth money but isn't a big name. A player who msot people might not know much about but who could actually help the team win. And maybe make a name for himself in MLS rather then getting a player who got his name in another league and is now washed up.

I like this concept.

Chevy
10-26-2008, 08:38 PM

Agreed. There is nothing that says a DP has to make huge dollars or be a big name. We could sign a less "sexy" DP for $600k or $800k.

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 08:42 PM
^ This requires a much better quality of scouting. If our level of scouting now doesn't get the job done, what you are suggesting is a much more difficult accomplishment to achieve. You are stating the holy grail of what most football clubs are looking for now, (since most clubs are not huge money machines like United or Real Madrid) so what makes us different than anybody else?

reggie
10-26-2008, 08:43 PM
did'nt MOstake mention that they are looking for a canadian has a DP.
unless it is jdg or hutch i don't see any other canadian being DP material....

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-26-2008, 10:14 PM
The only thing Mo is good at is sniffing his coke! Fuck you Mo Johnston...(if you're reading this)

Next year there will be alot more anti-Mo banners, chants and so on coming out of 127. That's for sure.

lay off the man any Idiot can make a banner...give a monkey and a paint brush you will have a banner....now getting a DP should not be a major priority, get football players should be...we need a striker, Midfielder and a couple of defenders, noon of which need to be a DP. Hang on Mo most of the supporters with common sence believe in you.

james
10-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Agreed. There is nothing that says a DP has to make huge dollars or be a big name. We could sign a less "sexy" DP for $600k or $800k.

well ya i agree. In fact they could pay a few million. As long as its not because he was good and is gonna sell tickets. Id rather get a player who is on the rise but hasn't really made a name for himself yet. MLS could use some players who are good now, rather then a league full of
"use to be Good" players.

jloome
10-27-2008, 12:05 AM

Kenny Cooper. Fuck it, if MLS isn't going to let him go to Europe, they should let us buy him off Dallas for some retarded amount, pay him $1M a year. He's still a steal next to what they're paying for ANgel and Blanco and had 19 goals or something this season.

I suppose the inner circle wouldn't allow it however.

King Tut
10-27-2008, 01:41 AM

You're right that we can get a younger, somewhat skilled and for cheaper. My question is can't we get a big name, who is not washed up? I'm dead fucking sure we can fucking land one if we made a proper offer. Everyone always talks about how MLSE is stacked and have the cash to bring in a big quality player. Well lets see a $6-10 million offer for 2 years to a player like Crespo or someone of that caliber.

You're telling me Crespo, Requelme, Ronaldo, Nuno Gomes and etc are washed up and would fail in MLS? :rolleyes:
(The guy does fuck all at Inter right now, not because he's washed up, but because they have a shit load of players and wants out soon)

King Tut
10-27-2008, 01:57 AM
lay off the man any Idiot can make a banner...give a monkey and a paint brush you will have a banner....now getting a DP should not be a major priority, get football players should be...we need a striker, Midfielder and a couple of defenders, noon of which need to be a DP. Hang on Mo most of the supporters with common sence believe in you.

lay off the man? hell no!!! Mo is one of the first guys that need to get the fuck out, for this team to improve. We've been giving him the benefit of the doubt for two years now. The guy failed miserably as a head coach and he failed miserably as a GM. You really believe in his 5 year plan, eh? lol...You can believe in Mo all you want. It's amazing that ALL OF THE NORTHEND ELITE SEEMS TO AGREE THAT MO HAS TO LEAVE, as well as a handful of people from other groups who are very vocal about it. I recall some nice anti-mo (FIRE THE LIAR...WITH MO WE BLOW...and a few others that made real proud that some of our supporters dont take it up the ass and keep quiet) banners at 113. If you think I'm crazy for being critical of douchebag Mo Johnston, you're wrong. There's hundreds, if not thousands that are losing faith in this guy and share my same feelings. People are getting frustrated with the douche who does fuck all and blabbers all sorts of crap to the media, like we're a bunch of gullible fucks. He's the first guy EVER to go to Brazil and says he couldn't find talent. 10% of the fucking country plays professional footy for fuck's sake. He couldn't find one semi-decent player in the second division of Brazil (like how he got Dichio from England)? There's players in Brazil that would play for fucking rice!!! Since you brought up the monkey example, well if you send a monkey to Brazil, he'd find you a player. There's amazing Brazilians in leagues all over the world for very cheap. And where the fuck was the douche during the African Nations Cup in Ghana? Africa's one of the cheapest markets in world football. Africa's loaded with talent. Mo's an idiot and there's no denying that. If you look at RSL, they got Ballouchy (Moroccan from Raja Casablanca) with some sort of scouting. Mo only knows the British Isles. Again, if we're not getting a DP but want some value for out money, why is he only scouting one region? I understand he might be an ignorant fuck and knows fuck all about anything outside of Britain, but that's still no excuse. Or wait, does he only go after players from the same agent as his? I'm amazed that the douche actually went on the "scouting" trip to Brazil (the Mecca of Football) promising to bring back something useful, only to say he didn't find anything for a relatively cheap price. DC United seems to have no problems finding the South American talent. New England got the job done with the Gambians during the U-20 World Cup in Canada. Where the fuck was Mo during the U-20 World Cup? He didn't watch Gambia during the mundial? He's got to be an idiot for sure. And anyone who STILL believes him, has go to be an idiot too. I'm amazed that there was 95%+ faith in Mo on that poll a few weeks back..For a minute there, I felt like I was seeing a fabricated poll results for President Mubarak in the Egyptian Eelctions hehe..Damn is this Mo guy great at brainwashing and hypnotizing some supporters. Nothing wrong with that anyway. Some people might still believe in Mo and that's fine. BUT there's many others who also have their right to an opinion, think the guy's a fucking crackhead, lying cunt, a douche and will openly express their hate, whether it's visually (maybe an anti-Mo tifo next season *wink*) or vocally (like we have already been doing *wink*) or both. ;)

Keep believing in Mo! Have a nice off-season. :D

sincerely
A supporter with no common sense at all..LMFAO :D

Yohan
10-27-2008, 02:05 AM
love how everyone thinks they are better GM than Mo

King Tut
10-27-2008, 02:38 AM
love how everyone thinks they are better GM than Mo

love how some people think that the way to support a team is to stfu, be a puppet, never question anything, never protest, and accept things the way they are like a herd of sheep. :D

football supporters all over the world go through times where they question some of their teams' matters, rather than be blinded idiots. And with two shitty seasons like these we have all the right to be concerned and questions alot of things within this team.

Cashcleaner
10-27-2008, 02:45 AM
If you guys really think Mo is the man dragging his feet on signing a DP, I'd sure like to have some of what you're smoking.

Who controls the money? The MLSE and TFC execs. The reason why we don't have a DP is because the people with the cash don't want to part with it. Don't place the blame on Mo for a lack of a signing - he's not in charge of the treasury.

King Tut
10-27-2008, 03:00 AM
If you guys really think Mo is the man dragging his feet on signing a DP, I'd sure like to have some of what you're smoking.

Who controls the money? The MLSE and TFC execs. The reason why we don't have a DP is because the people with the cash don't want to part with it. Don't place the blame on Mo for a lack of a signing - he's not in charge of the treasury.

Cash, I don't know if you're referring to me or the thread in general. If you're referring to me, well my hate for Mo (and all the players the Toronto players that believe he's a moron) is not based solely on the DP factor. Obviously the money is controlled by MLSE executives. But didn't MLSE give him the green light to go out and scout some talent a few months ago? What did he do in scouting mission in Brazil other than chill on the beaches of Rio, pick up some honeys, wax the Brazilian booty, sniff some coke, get drunk and party? What did he do with the supposed "scouting" at the African Nations Cup? What did he do with the huge list of players that are written up on the board in his office? He had a list of atleast 50 names last time I walked by his office (one month ago). I've explained it above. The guy just happens to have alot of enemies.

Yohan
10-27-2008, 03:22 AM
love how some people think that the way to support a team is to stfu, be a puppet, never question anything, never protest, and accept things the way they are like a herd of sheep. :D

football supporters all over the world go through times where they question some of their teams' matters, rather than be blinded idiots. And with two shitty seasons like these we have all the right to be concerned and questions alot of things within this team.
and i'm always amused by instant gratification youths

some people would still demand Mo's head even if TFC won the MLS probably

Yohan
10-27-2008, 03:23 AM

Saw Peddie on BNN for an interview and I paraphrase, he never denied a GM for request to sign a player in his years as president

VPjr
10-27-2008, 03:31 AM
King Tut...you are most certainly not alone in your absolute disregard for Mo. I'm with you brother.

The reality is that most people outside of this board feel the same way. RPB is the last bastion of Mo support, for the most part. Why? I don't know. just to make it clear, you don't have to believe in Maurice Johnston to be a "real supporter". In fact, I'd argue that the most "real" supporters are the ones that want him gone so we can actually believe that our team will be better in 2009 and beyond.

I simply don't believe in the man. I think he's a fraud. I've been saying this since the end of the 2007 season. It is my belief that he's hoodwinked a lot of people at MLSE who know nothing about the sport. I know more people than I can count who share my feelings and many of these people have been around the sport all their lives.

My concern is that MLSE feels no need to change a thing. The club is turning a tidy profit so why mess with success...that's the attitude that I believe prevails at MLSE head office and TFC's Front Office.

For the record, I do not believe that a DP is imperative. IF, somehow, we get an all world talent like Thierry Henry or the like, then go for it. You can't find 2 or 3 players who would eat up $400K in salary cap space that can bring to the table what 1 TH can bring. However, unless the DP is of that caliber, I'd just focus on finding as many 100-150K players as possible to plug the enormous number of holes that exist on this present roster. There are no untouchables on the current roster. There is no room for sentimentality, even if it would break my heart to lose Danny D. This team needs to focus on depth of talent more than 1 superstar but I'll take the superstar if its the right one (and there is only a very small number that would fall into the "right one" category

King Tut
10-27-2008, 03:49 AM
King Tut...you are most certainly not alone in your absolute disregard for Mo. I'm with you brother.

The reality is that most people outside of this board feel the same way. RPB is the last bastion of Mo support, for the most part. Why? I don't know. just to make it clear, you don't have to believe in Maurice Johnston to be a "real supporter". In fact, I'd argue that the most "real" supporters are the ones that want him gone so we can actually believe that our team will be better in 2009 and beyond.

I simply don't believe in the man. I think he's a fraud. I've been saying this since the end of the 2007 season. It is my belief that he's hoodwinked a lot of people at MLSE who know nothing about the sport. I know more people than I can count who share my feelings and many of these people have been around the sport all their lives.

My concern is that MLSE feels no need to change a thing. The club is turning a tidy profit so why mess with success...that's the attitude that I believe prevails at MLSE head office and TFC's Front Office.

For the record, I do not believe that a DP is imperative. IF, somehow, we get an all world talent like Thierry Henry or the like, then go for it. You can't find 2 or 3 players who would eat up $400K in salary cap space that can bring to the table what 1 TH can bring. However, unless the DP is of that caliber, I'd just focus on finding as many 100-150K players as possible to plug the enormous number of holes that exist on this present roster. There are no untouchables on the current roster. There is no room for sentimentality, even if it would break my heart to lose Danny D. This team needs to focus on depth of talent more than 1 superstar but I'll take the superstar if its the right one (and there is only a very small number that would fall into the "right one" category

I totally agree with everything you said. Sadly, Mo will probably be around next season. Infact, he will definitely be around still talking about his 5 year plan.

Don't worry brother, I am not questioning my level of support because I happen to dislike and be against Toronto FC's GM or letting any of the crap posted above get to me at all. I've been on 7 road trips this year, never missed a single home game since TFC's inaugural season, have taken part in every tifo/banner making with NEE, put alot of money into ways to support our team through thick and thin. I have a right to express constructive criticism when it comes to TFC.

Mo Has To Go!

We'll (the Mo Johnston critics) have some sweet stuff ready and awaiting Mo (when the team fucks up) when the season kicks off because the honeymoon is over and Judgement Day is just around the corner..

You'd be amazed at how many players on the team think this guy's a douche. I've talked to almost the entire team after games, on road trips and none of them tried to call him "Mr. Nice Guy" or defend him. You mention Mo and they automatically crack up and know what you're about to say. It's amazing really.

VPjr
10-27-2008, 03:56 AM
You'd be amazed at how many players on the team think this guy's a douche. I've talked to almost the entire team after games, on road trips and none of them tried to call him "Mr. Nice Guy" or defend him. You mention Mo and they automatically crack up and know what you're about to say. It's amazing really.

this has been my experience and the experience of others I have spoken too as well.

Not every player sees him for what he is but the ones who have been around the pro game long enough definitely do. There are many who will say one thing for the cameras and tape recorders and another thing altogether away from the media.

King Tut
10-27-2008, 04:07 AM
King Dave has some crazy Mo Johnston stories that bring a whole new meaning to the art of being a douchebag from people back home, arrogance, and attempting to pick up some guy's wife in Hamilton, Ontario. :eek:

Not to mention, drugs...*SNIFF SNIFF* lol

Cashcleaner
10-27-2008, 04:24 AM
Cash, I don't know if you're referring to me or the thread in general. If you're referring to me, well my hate for Mo (and all the players the Toronto players that believe he's a moron) is not based solely on the DP factor. Obviously the money is controlled by MLSE executives. But didn't MLSE give him the green light to go out and scout some talent a few months ago? What did he do in scouting mission in Brazil other than chill on the beaches of Rio, pick up some honeys, wax the Brazilian booty, sniff some coke, get drunk and party? What did he do with the supposed "scouting" at the African Nations Cup? What did he do with the huge list of players that are written up on the board in his office? He had a list of at least 50 names last time I walked by his office (one month ago). I've explained it above. The guy just happens to have alot of enemies.

Saw Peddie on BNN for an interview and I paraphrase, he never denied a GM for request to sign a player in his years as president

Guys, are you really that naive? All Peddie or Anselmi have to do is say they're "still looking at all the options" and that's enough for you? I'm sorry, but I'm not buying their stories anymore.

What we've been told by Mo and the other members of the TFC brass is not neccesarily the truth.

Because let's be incredibly honest here - If an organisation like MLSE is able to spend 6 million on Brian McCabe, 4 million on Kaberle, 15 million on Bosh, or 6 million on Bargnani; why can't they pay just one soccer player a couple million or so? By all rights, Mo should have a blank cheque to sign whoever we need because at the end of the day, the entire combined salaries for Toronto FC's roster will equal that of maybe a handful of Leaf of Raptor players at the very most. One player. One single top-quality footballer is all we are asking.

The numbers don't add up and when you take all that into account, it shouldn't be hard to figure out that we're not being told the whole story.

VPjr
10-27-2008, 04:48 AM
Mo Johnston on the road to nowhere

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/525052

Red CB Toronto
10-27-2008, 04:57 AM
Did the Reds not make a big money offer into the multi-millions to Hakan Sukur and he eventually turned it down? I mean even the news papers overseas had a story that he accepted it before changing his mind.

VPjr
10-27-2008, 05:10 AM
Did the Reds not make a big money offer into the multi-millions to Hakan Sukur and he eventually turned it down? I mean even the news papers overseas had a story that he accepted it before changing his mind.

I don't recall numbers being thrown around but there were some stories that an offer was made.

Sukur was a great player and would still score a bunch of goals but he's not the kind of guy I'd be inclined to fork out multi-millions for. Like i said in an earlier post...there are very few I'd give DP money to right now, especially when TFC has SOOOOO many needs.

Fiin
10-27-2008, 05:32 AM
My lack of faith in Mo more comes from I have seen this GM styling before in sports and it eventually leads to no-where, aka, the shitshow the Leafs are atm.

We know MLS is pretty free with the money, so for once, I aint blaming them...

We seen a GM make a patchwork team once.. his name was JFJ.. and we see where it is now... just my view though..

He has done some good moves too mind yah.. Ricketts was a good signing, and I think alot of Guevaras lack of production was him being WC entranced... sold Edu for 5 million (good move overall) and drafted Marvell Wynne..

Drafting wise, hes awesome.. signing wise, no so great..

Mo to me is more a head scout then GM..

King Tut
10-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Mo Johnston on the road to nowhere

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/525052

Great find :)

TFCREDNWHITE
10-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Well, I will tell everybody here on this board.

Based on what I have seen in Years 1 and 2, Year 3 is where i will hang it all up!

I expect and demand a lot from Tom Anselmi, Mo Johnston, John Carver, and everyone else that has a desk at BMO field.

I also expect a lot of production from the players on the pitch.

I expect the level or quality of play to increase dramaticlly!

I expect Grass..

I expect a new jersey (Home, Away and Alternate)

I expect a Designated Player Signing in January.

If all of these, or a majority of these are NOT met, then i will let the MLS get down on its knees and please.

I have no problem saying bye-bye, and focusing my energy elsewhere for a couple of years until MLSE, TFC and MLS gets their shit straight!!

AL-MO
10-27-2008, 02:03 PM
The reality is that most people outside of this board feel the same way. RPB is the last bastion of Mo support, for the most part.

This is just a message board hosted by a supporters club. I don't think the RPB(the supporters group/club) have the collectivel opinion that he should stay. Many of us have different opinions. Some are more patient than others.

Some of people who support Mo in this thread aren't even RPB members, so I don't think you can base the opinion of the collective group on that.

And if you didn't know Mighty_TorontoFC/RPB_Brantford doesn't speak for us AT ALL.

Jack
10-27-2008, 02:10 PM
VP, we don't think Mo is untouchable, nor do we universally support him.

I would like to see what he can get done. We've had two years and I want no more excuses. He has to produce the goods this off-season and he knows it.

My issue is, if we get a new guy in to start over after just two years, I don't know if that's such a great thing. So it's not so much that I support Mo in a die-hard way as it is that I want to see the fruition of his supposed plan. There have been a lot of sports execs who get poor results early then turn it around.

But this off-season is my limit. He needs to make good things happen.

I also do not think that everything that's been done the past two years is all negative. We have the beginnings of a solid young base for the team. We need some more players to build on that.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 02:33 PM
lay off the man? hell no!!! Mo is one of the first guys that need to get the fuck out, for this team to improve. We've been giving him the benefit of the doubt for two years now. The guy failed miserably as a head coach and he failed miserably as a GM. You really believe in his 5 year plan, eh? lol...You can believe in Mo all you want. It's amazing that ALL OF THE NORTHEND ELITE SEEMS TO AGREE THAT MO HAS TO LEAVE, as well as a handful of people from other groups who are very vocal about it. I recall some nice anti-mo (FIRE THE LIAR...WITH MO WE BLOW...and a few others that made real proud that some of our supporters dont take it up the ass and keep quiet) banners at 113. If you think I'm crazy for being critical of douchebag Mo Johnston, you're wrong. There's hundreds, if not thousands that are losing faith in this guy and share my same feelings. People are getting frustrated with the douche who does fuck all and blabbers all sorts of crap to the media, like we're a bunch of gullible fucks. He's the first guy EVER to go to Brazil and says he couldn't find talent. 10% of the fucking country plays professional footy for fuck's sake. He couldn't find one semi-decent player in the second division of Brazil (like how he got Dichio from England)? There's players in Brazil that would play for fucking rice!!! Since you brought up the monkey example, well if you send a monkey to Brazil, he'd find you a player. There's amazing Brazilians in leagues all over the world for very cheap. And where the fuck was the douche during the African Nations Cup in Ghana? Africa's one of the cheapest markets in world football. Africa's loaded with talent. Mo's an idiot and there's no denying that. If you look at RSL, they got Ballouchy (Moroccan from Raja Casablanca) with some sort of scouting. Mo only knows the British Isles. Again, if we're not getting a DP but want some value for out money, why is he only scouting one region? I understand he might be an ignorant fuck and knows fuck all about anything outside of Britain, but that's still no excuse. Or wait, does he only go after players from the same agent as his? I'm amazed that the douche actually went on the "scouting" trip to Brazil (the Mecca of Football) promising to bring back something useful, only to say he didn't find anything for a relatively cheap price. DC United seems to have no problems finding the South American talent. New England got the job done with the Gambians during the U-20 World Cup in Canada. Where the fuck was Mo during the U-20 World Cup? He didn't watch Gambia during the mundial? He's got to be an idiot for sure. And anyone who STILL believes him, has go to be an idiot too. I'm amazed that there was 95%+ faith in Mo on that poll a few weeks back..For a minute there, I felt like I was seeing a fabricated poll results for President Mubarak in the Egyptian Eelctions hehe..Damn is this Mo guy great at brainwashing and hypnotizing some supporters. Nothing wrong with that anyway. Some people might still believe in Mo and that's fine. BUT there's many others who also have their right to an opinion, think the guy's a fucking crackhead, lying cunt, a douche and will openly express their hate, whether it's visually (maybe an anti-Mo tifo next season *wink*) or vocally (like we have already been doing *wink*) or both. ;)

Keep believing in Mo! Have a nice off-season. :D

sincerely
A supporter with no common sense at all..LMFAO :D

for all those that don't like the way the club is being run....the exit doors
are always there...they can use them!!! we a second year club and to expect more then what the club has done (decent improvement from year one) is unrealistic....next season the club should be around .500 at seasons end which would be go for a playoff spot. Mo does know the
Biritish Isles and that good we need to from the team on that style of play...

olegunnar
10-27-2008, 02:35 PM
My issue is, if we get a new guy in to start over after just two years, I don't know if that's such a great thing. So it's not so much that I support Mo in a die-hard way as it is that I want to see the fruition of his supposed plan. There have been a lot of sports execs who get poor results early then turn it around.

What bugs me, and what I think is a huge reason why we underperform, is that the team has no identity.

What's our system? What kind of player fits into that system? What targets fit that system? What pieces or skillsets do we need to complete our roster? All questions that don't get answered.

Instead we get rent a players (Ruiz) and random signings based on one agent's client list.

So I'd say we have to start over anyways. What kind of foundation has been built in the past two years? None.

Sure we have some decent players under contract, but a Manager with a system and a plan to implement that system would put us leaps and bounds ahead of where we are now.

I don't accept the "expansion team" "Only 2 years" kind of stuff. That might float if we were building something, but were not.

TFCREDNWHITE
10-27-2008, 02:42 PM
are always there...they can use them!!! we a second year club and to expect more then what the club has done (decent improvement from year one) is unrealistic....next season the club should be around .500 at seasons end which would be go for a playoff spot. Mo does know the

They have until Next Year(Year 3) then you can bet your ass i'll be using the EXIT DOORS!! I don't give a fuck, the quality of footy being played is shite!! I can get my footy fix from multiple other channels over the course of the next 3-5 years until MLS smartens the fuck up...

AL-MO
10-27-2008, 02:42 PM
for all those that don't like the way the club is being run....the exit doors are always there...they can use them!!!

Mighty, why don't you just post your opinion and leave it at that, rather than making statements like above.

When you make statements like this, in combination with 'RPB Member' under your name, it makes other people think that this IS the collective opinion of the group. And it couldn't be farther from the truth.

we a second year club and to expect more then what the club has done (decent improvement from year one) is unrealistic....next season the club should be around .500 at seasons end which would be go for a playoff spot. Mo does know the

The same style that failed us during the summer heat?

Jack
10-27-2008, 02:44 PM
What bugs me, and what I think is a huge reason why we underperform, is that the team has no identity.

What's our system? What kind of player fits into that system? What targets fit that system? What pieces or skillsets do we need to complete our roster? All questions that don't get answered.

Instead we get rent a players (Ruiz) and random signings based on one agent's client list.

So I'd say we have to start over anyways. What kind of foundation has been built in the past two years? None.

Sure we have some decent players under contract, but a Manager with a system and a plan to implement that system would put us leaps and bounds ahead of where we are now.

I don't accept the "expansion team" "Only 2 years" kind of stuff. That might float if we were building something, but were not.

I guess we'll see how it turns out. I am definitely not a blind sheep either.

But the building process is not something that can be done in such a short time, in my opinion. To build a successful team, you need to take it slow. Get young talent in place and also bring in some key players.

I agree there have been some experiments that have failed miserably (Cunny, Ruiz and Robert for sure) but soem of the signings have been good (Guevara, Ricketts).

As for a system, I guess it depends. Is the system based on what the coach wants? Should the manager be trying to get him the players he needs to fill the roster holes to play his system?

Again, I agree about the identity thing and I think Mo was in over his head last season so that was a loss for the coaching side of things. This season was about Carver trying to put his stamp on the team.

Now we need to see the movement in the off-season to solidify the first squad while not giving up on the acquisition of young talent (of which we have a decent stock, though not great).

This is the reason why I'm giving him the off-season to get it together before I condemn him.

arbogast
10-27-2008, 02:45 PM
i don't give a damn. If Seattle wants to burn $400K against their cap for a DP that's their business.

A DP is no guarantee of success. How well has Gallardo worked out for DC, or Lopez in KC? Not very well.

I prefer Houston and NE's approach of building a strong overall team with depth than blowing open your cap for a strong player surrounded by crap utility players (cough LA).

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Well, I will tell everybody here on this board.

Based on what I have seen in Years 1 and 2, Year 3 is where i will hang it all up!

I expect and demand a lot from Tom Anselmi, Mo Johnston, John Carver, and everyone else that has a desk at BMO field.

I also expect a lot of production from the players on the pitch.

I expect the level or quality of play to increase dramaticlly!

I expect Grass..

I expect a new jersey (Home, Away and Alternate)

I expect a Designated Player Signing in January.

If all of these, or a majority of these are NOT met, then i will let the MLS get down on its knees and please.

I have no problem saying bye-bye, and focusing my energy elsewhere for a couple of years until MLSE, TFC and MLS gets their shit straight!!

what youve seen in years 1 and 2, you will hang up in year 3.....
....bandwagon supporter...........
you expect alot from the front office..fair enough but remember
we had 3 more wins and 10 more points then last season thats an improvement...and good enough.
Production by the players? talk to them on that. The level of play for a 3rd year team will be improved,but if you demand a MLS CUP or Canada cup your setting yourself up for a big dissapointment. Grass is not in the plans and is not within TFC/MLSE operating sytem, thats the city who owns BMO talk to them. New jerseys? thats nothing wrong with the ones we have, stop bleeding our pockets. DP is NOT needed. if you want to leave by all means leave let the real supporters stay.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Mighty, why don't you just post your opinion and leave it at that, rather than making statements like above.

When you make statements like this, in combination with 'RPB Member' under your name, it makes other people think that this IS the collective opinion of the group. And it couldn't be farther from the truth.

The same style that failed us during the summer heat?

I NEVER stated i was representing the RPB in my statements they are mine alone and stand by them?

AL-MO
10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
we had 3 more wins and 20 more points then last season thats an improvement...

10 more points mighty. BIG difference between 10 and 20 points.

AL-MO
10-27-2008, 02:55 PM
I NEVER stated i was representing the RPB in my statements they are mine alone and stand by them?

You missed the point. When you make these wild statements and you have RPB Member under your name, people THINK this is what the rest of us think.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 02:57 PM
i don't give a damn. If Seattle wants to burn $400K against their cap for a DP that's their business.

A DP is no guarantee of success. How well has Gallardo worked out for DC, or Lopez in KC? Not very well.

I prefer Houston and NE's approach of building a strong overall team with depth than blowing open your cap for a strong player surrounded by crap utility players (cough LA).

exactly, what if we do get a DP and have only 5 wins next season?
The DP has been done to death. Houston and New england are the teams to copy...we should focus our club that way

King Tut
10-27-2008, 02:57 PM

:iamwithstupid:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

JonO
10-27-2008, 02:58 PM
I still don't understand why people are upset with the Ruiz trade. We basically game up nothing except supplemental draft pick(s) and MLSE's money. It was what it was: a desparate attempt for offense. It didn't work out and away he goes, but we had little to lose at that point in the season. I am more upset that we got to being that desparate...

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 02:59 PM
10 more points mighty. BIG difference between 10 and 20 points.

it was corrected....:o also i cannot help what other people might think my posts....only a complete moron would assume one person speaks for the whole group don't you think?

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 03:01 PM
I still don't understand why people are upset with the Ruiz trade. We basically game up nothing except supplemental draft pick(s) and MLSE's money. It was what it was: a desparate attempt for offense. It didn't work out and away he goes, but we had little to lose at that point in the season. I am more upset that we got to being that desparate...

it wasn't the trade that has people upset...he did little while he was here,
and when he was suppose to be hurt he went and played for his national team? thats the point people are mad at.

AL-MO
10-27-2008, 03:04 PM
:iamwithstupid:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Exactly.

Lost cause.

Dirk Diggler
10-27-2008, 05:49 PM
I don't know why people keep on bringing up the argument that signing DPs equals lack of success. Honestly ... no need to over complicate the matter. Its simple logic ... signing a quality guy will result in improvement of the team. You can sign 8 losers for 400,000 or you can sign one solid contributor for the same amount (in terms of salary cap) ... there is a difference. If you keep on adding shit to a pile of shit, it doesn't turn into gold.

Kickit09
10-27-2008, 06:22 PM

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/021230/182732__pinocchio_l.jpg

arbogast
10-27-2008, 06:33 PM
I don't know why people keep on bringing up the argument that signing DPs equals lack of success. Honestly ... no need to over complicate the matter. Its simple logic ... signing a quality guy will result in improvement of the team. You can sign 8 losers for 400,000 or you can sign one solid contributor for the same amount (in terms of salary cap) ... there is a difference. If you keep on adding shit to a pile of shit, it doesn't turn into gold.

Yeah....solid gold...just like the LA Galaxy with their 2 DPs.:rolleyes:

AL-MO
10-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Yeah....solid gold...just like the LA Galaxy with their 2 DPs.:rolleyes:

I think his point is that a DP doesn't mean success or failure, you have to get the right player that fits into the team.

You have just provided an example of a DP's team not having much success, so I will counter that with one who has had a great deal of impact....Blanco on the Chicago Fire. It definitely goes both ways.

Kickit09
10-27-2008, 06:40 PM
exactly, what if we do get a DP and have only 5 wins next season?

well then we can say at least he tried.

The DP has been done to death. Houston and New england are the teams to copy...we should focus our club that way

your forgetting about columbus, chicago, NY, and KC. they all made the playoffs thanks to the stellar play of their DPs.

BlizzardBhoy
10-27-2008, 06:41 PM
I reckon we should spend the money on some decent management before we splurge on a DP. Unless we can get Henrik Larrson.

Beach_Red
10-27-2008, 06:52 PM

Well then you're right, it's too bad he signed so many guys with so little integrity. Would be nice if one of them had the balls to go public with a statement. Was there not a single other team interested in any of them?

Personally, I don't care about Mo one way or the other, but I'd like to get rid of every single player who feels that way about the guy they signed a contract with - no wonder they show so little heart in so many games.

Or, maybe you're wrong.

Kickit09
10-27-2008, 07:00 PM
compare LA all you guys want but they are a strange and bizzare case. and we play in the east conf, not west. and 5 out of the 7 teams in the east have DPs. and out of the 5 teams that made the playoffs in the east, 4 have DPs. New England is the only other team in the east conf that doesnt have a DP. difference is, they dont NEED one, we do. so as long as we play in the east and dont have a DP we will always be at a disadvantage.

Jack
10-27-2008, 07:03 PM
compare LA all you guys want but they are a strange and bizzare case. and we play in the east conf, not west. and 5 out of the 7 teams in the east have DPs. and out of the 5 teams that made the playoffs in the east, 4 have DPs. New England is the only other team in the east conf that doesnt have a DP. difference is, they dont NEED one, we do. so as long as we play in the east and dont have a DP we will always be at a disadvantage.
Very good point. :drinking:

ben_vw
10-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Just an FYI...

Guillermo Barros Schelotto is not a DP.

Jack
10-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Not officially, but he has some sponsorships and stuff that bring in extra money in Columbus, doesn't he?

ben_vw
10-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Not officially, but he has some sponsorships and stuff that bring in extra money in Columbus, doesn't he?

I'm not sure on that one. He brings to his team what every DP should bring, though.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 07:30 PM
You missed the point. When you make these wild statements and you have RPB Member under your name, people THINK this is what the rest of us think.

i did not put rpb memeber under my name...thats comes with the forum.

Keyman
10-27-2008, 07:38 PM
I am really interested to see how Freddie Ljungberg fares in this league.

I have a feeling he is going to be a very good player for Seattle.

Kickit09
10-27-2008, 07:40 PM
schelotto makes 425,000 a year on paper but has a compensation package worth 1 million a year. i dont know how he's not considered a DP.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2007/04/18/crew0418.ART_ART_04-18-07_F1_H06DSKO.html

http://www.theoffside.com/leagues/mls/top-10-mls-salaries-in-2008.html

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 07:49 PM
I totally agree with everything you said. Sadly, Mo will probably be around next season. Infact, he will definitely be around still talking about his 5 year plan.

Don't worry brother, I am not questioning my level of support because I happen to dislike and be against Toronto FC's GM or letting any of the crap posted above get to me at all. I've been on 7 road trips this year, never missed a single home game since TFC's inaugural season, have taken part in every tifo/banner making with NEE, put alot of money into ways to support our team through thick and thin. I have a right to express constructive criticism when it comes to TFC.

Mo Has To Go!

We'll (the Mo Johnston critics) have some sweet stuff ready and awaiting Mo (when the team fucks up) when the season kicks off because the honeymoon is over and Judgement Day is just around the corner..

Our players have no place to talk about Mo when their effort in the Red
Jerseys have to be Questioned.....Brennan is a cancer on defence and should be released...Dichio is past his days time for him to move on,
Ruiz is gone, just to name a few.

AL-MO
10-27-2008, 07:53 PM
i did not put rpb memeber under my name...thats comes with the forum.

No it doesn't. It means you are a member of this Supporters Group. Not just some guy that comes on here just to talk soccer or troll threads.

If you hadn't noticed some people 'Registered User' under their names while others have 'RPB Member' under their names. You get RPB Member when you chose to join this club. You don't just get it with the forum.

If you don't want to be a member and take this seriously, fine. You know where the exit is. Feel free to use it if you like.

AL-MO
10-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Now...

:topic:

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 08:08 PM
I reckon we should spend the money on some decent management before we splurge on a DP. Unless we can get Henrik Larrson.

Our management is fine...fans expectations of a instant winner must go.
3 seasons ago we did not have a team, stadium,players etc, Now they want a championship contender after the 2nd year...in a dream world maybe. But reality is championship teams take time to build, how long as it taken Liverpool to get to the top of the EPL...15 years?? And our fans expect that in 2? Mo has done a terrific job and Carver has done a good job with a building squad....it can't be easy dealing with guys like
Cuningham, Ruiz...etc...heres hoping Mo styas for the 5 year plan that they have and mabe another 5 years after that.

SoccMan
10-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Mo has to go, simple as that. Carver I would keep just so he gets another chance, but Mo has to go. He is simply someone who talks a good game, but in reality does not have a clue. One more thing, if people here believe that BMO will continue to be full after another season of losing, then you realy don't understand Toronto when it comes to soccer. People in Toronto will stop supporting a pro soccer team if it continuously loses. Once you lose the fans they will not come back, this is soccer we are talking about the MLS not Hockey or the NHL.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Mo has to go, simple as that. Carver I would keep just so he gets another chance, but Mo has to go. He is simply someone who talks a good game, but in reality does not have a clue. One more thing, if people here believe that BMO will continue to be full after another season of losing, then you realy don't understand Toronto when it comes to soccer. People in Toronto will stop supporting a pro soccer team if it continuously loses. Once you lose the fans they will not come back, this is soccer we are talking about the MLS not Hockey or the NHL.

so what are you saying...BMO is full of bandwagon jumpers?

AL-MO
10-27-2008, 08:15 PM

BUT if you get rid of Mo would the new guy coming in get rid of Carver too? Then basically you are starting all over again.

Roogsy
10-27-2008, 08:35 PM
BUT if you get rid of Mo would the new guy coming in get rid of Carver too? Then basically you are starting all over again.

Finally somebody gets it. It took this long?

AL-MO
10-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Finally somebody gets it. It took this long?

Thats the only issue I have. I think Carver deserves one more year to show what he's got.

Now if this was Carver's second years as well, then I would be calling for both of their heads.

But for now I'll save the effigies for after next season if it is another disappointment.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Thats the only issue I have. I think Carver deserves one more year to show what he's got.

Now if this was Carver's second years as well, then I would be calling for both of their heads.

But for now I'll save the effigies for after next season if it is another disappointment.

Look at Benetiz at Liverpool, no league title but still has a job...ok the european cup helped the job security, but he now has the ream to compete in the EPL.

Beach_Red
10-27-2008, 08:41 PM
People in Toronto will stop supporting a pro soccer team if it continuously loses. Once you lose the fans they will not come back, this is soccer we are talking about the MLS not Hockey or the NHL.

Will this always be the case or say, four or five years from now after an MLS Championship the natural cycle takes place (as it always does in a league with a salary cap - just ask DC) and the team has three or four losing seasons, will the fans stop coming for good?

You make a soccer team sound like a terrible investment - unless we could get into one of those leagues where the same two or three teams win every year and be gauranteed to be one of those teams. That would be great, but it's not the MLS.

AL-MO
10-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Why are you comparing one of the most successful clubs in England to TFC?

We are not asking for a league title now, just to have a solid squad that competes week in and week out, and makes the playoffs next season. I think that would be a step in the right direction. Even if we don't make it on past the first round, at least we made the 'party'.

Beach_Red
10-27-2008, 08:44 PM

Yes, absolutely. Especially if the team ends with another terrible road game like this year. Just when it looked like maybe the team was starting to come together, they go to SJ and play like that. It really looks like sometimes the players give a shit and sometimes they don't and the coaches have no way of dealing with it.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Why are you comparing one of the most successful clubs in England to TFC?

We are not asking for a league title now, just to have a solid squad that competes week in and week out, and makes the playoffs next season. I think that would be a step in the right direction. Even if we don't make it on past the first round, at least we made the 'party'.

all i was getting at was Liverpool have the patience to get things done,
which is what TFC fans need patience. there was not one game except the San Jose game where the team did not compete. Is it worth the one playoff experience next year , to maybe miss the 2 after that?

olegunnar
10-27-2008, 09:01 PM

Starting all over from what?

It's not like we've started anything. It's been two years of willy nilly, hit some, miss some.

Where's the identity? Where's the plan? Who's the core of the team? Who's the team built around? The right back? An aging centre forward?

I dont' accept the starting over argument. Since we never started anything.

Beach_Red
10-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Starting all over from what?

It's not like we've started anything. It's been two years of willy nilly, hit some, miss some.

You're right. Someone said in another thread that both Guevara and Robinson want to run the team and that sure looks true. And after a whole season, the last game was no better than the first. Sure there were some good games in between, but in that last game the team looked disorganized and unfocused, they argue with each other all the time, they can't decide what to do with set pieces. The team has often looked unprepared after the first ten minutes of games and never seems to adjust to other team's changes in tactics.

The team underperformed for the skill level of the players.

So, do you get rid of half the players or one coach?

BlizzardBhoy
10-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Maybe we should be looking at poaching some players from Montreal Imapct.
Or even their manager...

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Or even their manager...

replace an Englishman with a Canadian...real smart move:rolleyes:

BlizzardBhoy
10-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Nationality shouldn't matter.

Montreal are doing great - We're not.

I think we'd really struggle to get a decent Manager from overseas, so lets see what talent there is locally.

Not saying that he is the man for the job, but something to think about.

And there are some pretty tidy players there too...

Beach_Red
10-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Or even their manager...

Someone pointed out on here the biggest thing the Impact have going for them is how many games the players have played together - even many of their 'newest' guys have played more games with the team than TFC players who've been here since the beginning. And those weren't all great years for the Impact. We could simply keep the roster we have now and after two years of playing together the Impact wouldn't stand a chance. Really.

We need to seperate what are real growing pains of starting a team from nothing with making poor choices. To do that we'd have to actually know what choices were available and the frustrating truth is, we really don't have anywhere near enough information about player recruitment. We do see what goes on during the games, though, and this team underperformed.

This thread started out about a DP in Seattle and it drives me crazy that teams in this league can spend one or two or three million on a single player instead of raising the salary cap by the same amount. Spread those millions out over three or four guys and it would make a way bigger difference than one player. Or add a few roster spots.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Nationality shouldn't matter.

Montreal are doing great - We're not.

I think we'd really struggle to get a decent Manager from overseas, so lets see what talent there is locally.

Not saying that he is the man for the job, but something to think about.

And there are some pretty tidy players there too...

No it shouldn't but....Mitchell and Yallop are perfect example why you
don;t hire a Canadian. MOntreal is riding a whole lot of luck, they really should have not got this far...but luck is luck. I don;'t care who they play in the QF but hope whoever it is stuffs them good. But there is really no qualified Canadian manager, no i don';t want Yallop, Lenarduzzi,Mitchell,
after them there is nothing. JC is the right man for TFC...he needs and deserves time to build a team 1, season, 2 or 3 might not be enough.

BlizzardBhoy
10-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Someone pointed out on here the biggest thing the Impact have going for them is how many games the players have played together - even many of their 'newest' guys have played more games with the team than TFC players who've been here since the beginning.

That's a good observation. Then maybe, we should be scouting a few of those Montreal players that have been playing together for years.

Perhaps lessons can be learned from 'Trader' Mo.
If he makes a bad signing or if a player hasn't worked out as he would have hoped, he doesn't hesitate to change up the personnell and bring in new blood. MLSE could take a leaf from his book.

I say give him one more year.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 10:24 PM
That's a good observation. Then maybe, we should be scouting a few of those Montreal players that have been playing together for years.

Perhaps lessons can be learned from 'Trader' Mo.
If he makes a bad signing or if a player hasn't worked out as he would have hoped, he doesn't hesitate to change up the personnell and bring in new blood. MLSE could take a leaf from his book.

I say give him one more year.

Montreal woulds not have a good record if they were in MLS with the current squad, they struggled for most of the season coming on late in the season to reach the USL semi final. Mo's dealings have not been bad,
Huckerby wanted to be here but the city refuses to put down grass so we lost him ..Not Mo's fault....O Brien wanted out of Toronto to play on grass..again Not Mo's fault.....Cuningham ?? did not fit JC's plans and sulked for the most part this season...Mo got what he could for the guy.
Mo brought in Guevara, Ricketts, Barrett to improve the squad. Im sure new players will be brought in to improve the team even more.

GeorgeB
10-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Or even their manager...i dont want any of those Impact douches.

Luanda
10-28-2008, 06:32 AM
Too many people are trigger happy, too many expect too much from present and future players, and too many want TFC to run before it has had a chance to crawl.
WE JUST FINISHED season # 2 folks. Patience and cool heads should previal. Rome, as the saying goes, was not built overnight.

Neither were: Manchester, Porto, Barcelona, Milan, etc.

Fort York Redcoat
10-28-2008, 07:09 AM
I think it'd be great to poach L'Impacts MVP every year until they're in MLS. And I want to see a DP next year who compliments the squad.

Oldtimer
10-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Someone pointed out on here the biggest thing the Impact have going for them is how many games the players have played together - even many of their 'newest' guys have played more games with the team than TFC players who've been here since the beginning. And those weren't all great years for the Impact. We could simply keep the roster we have now and after two years of playing together the Impact wouldn't stand a chance. Really.

That's also New England's strength, and they've made it to the finals most recent years.
If we change managers and coaches all of the time, we will end up like NY. Not a pleasing thought.

Keegan
10-28-2008, 08:07 AM
No it shouldn't but....Mitchell and Yallop are perfect example why you
don;t hire a Canadian. MOntreal is riding a whole lot of luck, they really should have not got this far...but luck is luck. I don;'t care who they play in the QF but hope whoever it is stuffs them good. But there is really no qualified Canadian manager, no i don';t want Yallop, Lenarduzzi,Mitchell,
after them there is nothing. JC is the right man for TFC...he needs and deserves time to build a team 1, season, 2 or 3 might not be enough.

Are you RPB Brantford in disguise!?

Anyone who has seen the NEW Montreal knows there is no luck involved. Montreal would KILL Toronto, I mean I love our boys but there is no way we could beat Montreal at the moment. Montreal is probably the hottest team in CONCACAF right now and luck has nothing to do with it.

When Montreal tied us they were last in USL since then they added Donatelli, Grande, Byers and Brilliant.

olegunnar
10-28-2008, 08:40 AM
That's also New England's strength, and they've made it to the finals most recent years.
If we change managers and coaches all of the time, we will end up like NY. Not a pleasing thought.

Montreal changed coaches this year. Mid Season.

Beach_Red
10-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Montreal changed coaches this year. Mid Season.

Yes, and New England is 0-4 in those Championships games. We'd be screaming for a coaching change after four losses in the finals. (did Montreal just change the coach and keep the players, or did they make roster changes as well?)

Still, there are different rules for teams that are two years old and teams that are twelve years old. They are different animals, as much as we hate to admit it.

Realistically, how many quality starters can a team pick up a year? You certainly can't get all eleven in one year. Five a year? Three?

How much of a core does TFC have? Have we picked up three guys in each year that will be starters next year? That should be starting?

Jack
10-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Beach Red...you're banging your head against a wall preaching patience to some posters on the boards.

People seem to want instant success. Instantly, they want the support to be as good as 50-100 year old support in Europe or South America. Instantly they want international superstars. Instantly they want our team to be competitive in a league that has only grown tougher since Chicago won it all as an expansion team (another of the lamest reasons to call for Mo's head ever!). Instantly they want the GM to snap his fingers and have starter calibre players appear on our roster.

Guys, look around. Look at other types of business, other teams and other sports. It's not that easy even for teams with tons of money and fame to build a winning squad. Last year we were crap. We had a lot of throwaways on the roster and a few keepers. This year we have a few more. Next year we'll have a few more and then we'll start to look more like a team. A few key personnel acquisitions and I think we get those five extra points required to make the playoffs.

It's frustrating to struggle and go through growing pains, but things are not as bad as some would make them out to be.

Yohan
10-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Beach Red...you're banging your head against a wall preaching patience to some posters on the boards.

People seem to want instant success. Instantly, they want the support to be as good as 50-100 year old support in Europe or South America. Instantly they want international superstars. Instantly they want our team to be competitive in a league that has only grown tougher since Chicago won it all as an expansion team (another of the lamest reasons to call for Mo's head ever!). Instantly they want the GM to snap his fingers and have starter calibre players appear on our roster.

Guys, look around. Look at other types of business, other teams and other sports. It's not that easy even for teams with tons of money and fame to build a winning squad. Last year we were crap. We had a lot of throwaways on the roster and a few keepers. This year we have a few more. Next year we'll have a few more and then we'll start to look more like a team. A few key personnel acquisitions and I think we get those five extra points required to make the playoffs.

It's frustrating to struggle and go through growing pains, but things are not as bad as some would make them out to be.
post of the year

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-28-2008, 10:16 AM

Anyone who has seen the NEW Montreal knows there is no luck involved. Montreal would KILL Toronto, I mean I love our boys but there is no way we could beat Montreal at the moment. Montreal is probably the hottest team in CONCACAF right now and luck has nothing to do with it.

When Montreal tied us they were last in USL since then they added Donatelli, Grande, Byers and Brilliant.

Montreal couldn't beat Toronto ...fact in the Canada cup we won one and drew the other one with Montreal...the Impact areheaded for a quick exit in the qf it will be funny if they can't use olympic stadium and have to play thier home leg in Florida!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Too many people are trigger happy, too many expect too much from present and future players, and too many want TFC to run before it has had a chance to crawl.
WE JUST FINISHED season # 2 folks. Patience and cool heads should previal. Rome, as the saying goes, was not built overnight.

Neither were: Manchester, Porto, Barcelona, Milan, etc.

this post should be a sticky...it should be a big banner at BMO too!!

canadian_bhoy
10-28-2008, 10:48 AM
I don't understand why everything on this board must always be seen in black and white.

If you criticise the team, then you are an impatient whiner who is demanding results - If you give the team some slack, you're a pawn of MLSE and are satistfied with mediocrity.

The best mentality IMO is somewhere in the middle.

This season was not a success - I don't think Mo or Carver would say that it was. The goal is always to win (and make the playoffs) this year they didn't get it done and more dissapointing, they were talented enough to do it.

I'm not in the camp that Mo should be on the chopping block. He has shown some savy in his draft picks and his ability to make internal MLS deals. He brought in some talented players and if the nucleus of this team remains, we are in good shape for next season. Who else would do a better job than Mo BTW? No one ever seems to have an answer to that.

At the same time, it is unnacceptable that we went into the Columbus game with virtually the same roster we ended our first season with. Signings like Robert and Ruiz we terrible decisions and Mo needs to be held accountable for that.

Should Mo go - No, but his leesh is getting to its end. He has a lot to prove for next season and results need to improve.

You can talk all you want about a 5 year plan, but how can a 3rd season with a drastically different roster be part of a plan?

The other issue that people never seem to point out is the rediculous level of parity in MLS. You can't compare MLS to any other league in the world for the simple fact that the salary cap and shallow player pool make it a volitile league.

This is the type of league where a crap team like Columbus can go from being down and out, to winning the Supporters Shield in one season

At the same time, we can't just throw it all away. We have solid talent on our team and that core can be expanded upon. When we were playing well this season, there wasn't a team in the league that could touch us. We need a big time goal scorer and we need to shore up our D. If those things happen, we could be ready for the big time.

In short - Things aren't amazing, but they're not dire either. Patience and pressure are both needed.

LucaGol
10-28-2008, 11:11 AM
I don't understand why everything on this board must always be seen in black and white.

If you criticise the team, then you are an impatient whiner who is demanding results - If you give the team some slack, you're a pawn of MLSE and are satistfied with mediocrity.

The best mentality IMO is somewhere in the middle.

This season was not a success - I don't think Mo or Carver would say that it was. The goal is always to win (and make the playoffs) this year they didn't get it done and more dissapointing, they were talented enough to do it.

I'm not in the camp that Mo should be on the chopping block. He has shown some savy in his draft picks and his ability to make internal MLS deals. He brought in some talented players and if the nucleus of this team remains, we are in good shape for next season. Who else would do a better job than Mo BTW? No one ever seems to have an answer to that.

At the same time, it is unnacceptable that we went into the Columbus game with virtually the same roster we ended our first season with. Signings like Robert and Ruiz we terrible decisions and Mo needs to be held accountable for that.

Should Mo go - No, but his leesh is getting to its end. He has a lot to prove for next season and results need to improve.

You can talk all you want about a 5 year plan, but how can a 3rd season with a drastically different roster be part of a plan?

The other issue that people never seem to point out is the rediculous level of parity in MLS. You can't compare MLS to any other league in the world for the simple fact that the salary cap and shallow player pool make it a volitile league.

This is the type of league where a crap team like Columbus can go from being down and out, to winning the Supporters Shield in one season

At the same time, we can't just throw it all away. We have solid talent on our team and that core can be expanded upon. When we were playing well this season, there wasn't a team in the league that could touch us. We need a big time goal scorer and we need to shore up our D. If those things happen, we could be ready for the big time.

In short - Things aren't amazing, but they're not dire either. Patience and pressure are both needed.

This is the real post of the year.

Roogsy
10-28-2008, 11:27 AM

Somebody put this on the front page of redpatchboys.ca and get it over with already. I am tired of the same nonsensical complaints on this board. Fair criticism is one thing but there are posters on this board that throw logic right out the window and whinge more than a cat stuck in a tree. This post by Jack is truth.

Nodoubtguy
10-28-2008, 01:46 PM
RENTON, WASH. – Seattle Sounders FC has signed midfielder Freddie Ljungberg to a multi-year contract, the team announced today. Ljungberg starred for 10 seasons in the English Premier League and served as captain of Sweden during this past summer’s European Championships

Read the rest at http://www.soundersfc.com/article.aspx?id=2308

canadian_bhoy
10-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Sounders FC streamed it live - well done to Seattle on getting this done.

17k season tickets and with Freddie now signed, I'm sure that will go up.

JonO
10-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Anyone know how much?

canadian_bhoy
10-28-2008, 01:53 PM
2 yr 16M Euro I heard.

JonO
10-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Ouch! That's a lot of green

Nodoubtguy
10-28-2008, 01:57 PM
wow.....I wish MLSE would open the wallet that much.

Nuvinho
10-28-2008, 01:59 PM
most sites say $2.5M a year.

SLBuu
10-28-2008, 02:01 PM
i gotta say..... I'm jealous.

First year in the league Sounders FC get a player like Ljundberg, a proven player/goal scorer.

And we're here going into the third season waiting on a DP (if we get one).

Nodoubtguy
10-28-2008, 02:02 PM
most sites say $2.5M a year.

sounds more realistic....don't think he'd be worth 10M a year unless someone in Seattle is :stogey:

Jack
10-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Good post by CB and I think we both agree. I'm not saying we should not pressure the team, but I also don't think the sky is falling and we need to make sweeping organizational changes.

I too, espouse the idea that Mo's leash is getting very close to the end.

Time to back up the talk.

And Columbus obviously did the right things and brought in the right personnel to have a big turnaround season. But they didn't do that by getting rid of all their players and starting over, either.

They were crap for a few years. Got draft picks. Built the roster and then got a big-name player to help put them over the top.

But it took them 4 years to do that.

Yohan
10-28-2008, 02:16 PM
i gotta say..... I'm jealous.

First year in the league Sounders FC get a player like Ljundberg, a proven player/goal scorer.

And we're here going into the third season waiting on a DP (if we get one).
let's wait until end of next season to judge whether freddie was a good signing or not.

seattle looks to be putting together a decent core players, but mls is a mysterious beast

SLBuu
10-28-2008, 02:19 PM
^^^
yeah, i understand ur point.

but, it would be nice if they're was some effort on our FO to really make a solid effort into signing someone.

Mango Kid
10-28-2008, 03:57 PM
2 years, $5 million per? That is freaking INSANE!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=586247&sec=mls&campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=5901

canadian_bhoy
10-28-2008, 04:05 PM

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=586247&sec=mls&campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=5901

Sundin made 10M a year. McCabe made 6!

I'd take FL at 5M any day!

TFCREDNWHITE
10-28-2008, 04:06 PM

Thats not insane...Thats the price of excellent football players...

Fuck the Maple Leafs spend 20 times that in Salary...

Dirk Diggler
10-28-2008, 04:13 PM
It says $20 million on Sky Sports:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4422698,00.html

Mango Kid
10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
The Leafs are also operating on a $56 million cap, not $2 million, and pull in revenues the kind of which TFC is dreaming of.

I can't wait to see TFC sign a guy for $5 million and then see the cheers here...til the ticket prices for the next year are revealed.

King Tut
10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Boy am I fucking jealous of those Seattle Sounders right now!

MUFC_Niagara
10-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Boy am I fucking jealous of those Seattle Sounds right now!

Yup...Ljungberg in mid and Keller in goal....good croe to build a team around...especially if they get a decent centre back

jloome
10-28-2008, 06:27 PM

Hmm, I could'vbe sworn the last three of those were all on the squad already when we played them, but Grande was suspended or injured. Byers was definitely there and I believe Brillant signed before then, too.

jloome
10-28-2008, 06:29 PM
This is a lunacy DP. Ljunberg's gears are stripped, he has no speed. It's all technique and he's been injured near constantly -- in fact, that $20M is half what it cost West Ham to buy him out of his contract, because aside from not playing, he was a lockerroom cancer.

Anyone who thinks this is a smart purchase, please look this thread up again in a year. Given his excellent mobility and efficacy so far, I'd take Darren Huckerby at a tenth of the price anyday over the truly washed up Ljunberg.

Cambridge_Red
10-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Ljunberg is not worth this..

FluSH
10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Boy am I fucking jealous of those Seattle Sounds right now!

haha Seatle Sounds... makes me think of Gino beats or some kind of music genre.

OneLoveOneEric
10-28-2008, 06:43 PM
The Leafs are also operating on a $56 million cap, not $2 million, and pull in revenues the kind of which TFC is dreaming of.

I can't wait to see TFC sign a guy for $5 million and then see the cheers here...til the ticket prices for the next year are revealed.

DPs have no bearing on the cap. No relevance whatsoever to the cap value.
And ticket prices for TFC will keep climbing regardless of a DP signing, so we'd might as well get one.
Hey, it's good to know that people are able to deal with the disappointment of knowing we won't be signing a DP by convincing themselves that we don't need one. I wish my defense mechanisms were so good.

MUFC_Niagara
10-28-2008, 06:47 PM
This is a lunacy DP. Ljunberg's gears are stripped, he has no speed. It's all technique and he's been injured near constantly -- in fact, that $20M is half what it cost West Ham to buy him out of his contract, because aside from not playing, he was a lockerroom cancer.

Anyone who thinks this is a smart purchase, please look this thread up again in a year. Given his excellent mobility and efficacy so far, I'd take Darren Huckerby at a tenth of the price anyday over the truly washed up Ljunberg.

In the MLS, you will always overpay for a player like Ljungberg....in case you guys haven't figured it out yet, this league is semi retirement and the "last payday" for the stars of yesterday...whether he's worth it or not...that's his worth in MLS terms

RedsYNWA
10-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Well get ready for another "improvement" from last year, give TFC an extra 3 or 4 points and we might finish ahead of 3 or 4 clubs next year, seriousley what does TFC have over the other teams????
I can think of one thing the teachers pension (MLSE)and their cash might have suffered recently with the stock market but CAMON Montreal MONtreal :(:(:( made it nice on Cheese money I would love for TFC to mimic their performance next year........AAHHHH you never know we might sign a...never mind

Dirk Diggler
10-28-2008, 07:05 PM
DPs have no bearing on the cap. No relevance whatsoever to the cap value.
And ticket prices for TFC will keep climbing regardless of a DP signing, so we'd might as well get one.
Hey, it's good to know that people are able to deal with the disappointment of knowing we won't be signing a DP by convincing themselves that we don't need one. I wish my defense mechanisms were so good.

Hey calm down man ... Mango is definitely not a Mo or MLSE apologist. Trust me!

OneLoveOneEric
10-28-2008, 07:08 PM
^^^Sorry, didn't mean to direct that at Mango. It was generally aimed at the sudden increase of "we don't need a DP" sentiment around here.

Dirk Diggler
10-28-2008, 07:10 PM
^^^Sorry, didn't mean to direct that at Mango. It was generally aimed at the sudden increase of "we don't need a DP" sentiment around here.

Yeah ... that is extremely annoying. Can't believe how many people here are content with complacency.

Strikers
10-28-2008, 07:19 PM
So Freddie Ljungberg will be with Seattle, not sure what kind of impact he will have.
Depending on what other players Seattle will sign I think that Ljungberg is a huge
roll of the dice. He played well for Sweden in the Euro 08, not sure if he will play that well for Seattle in the MLS

RPB73
10-28-2008, 07:24 PM

This maybe true, but you just watch Seattle next season they will prove all this year two shit wrong. These guys have a solid ownership group that wants success. They know what style of team they want to build and are looking all over the globe for players. MLSE is looking for profits period, Mo has no plan he is just winging it. He doesn't look for players, his agent brings them too him. I'm a huge TFC supporter but it would not shock me if Seattle were playoff bound next season and we aren't. Before anyone starts spouting off about the Lundberg signing this guy is a great player, and atleast Seattle is making an effort to build something.

REDPATCHGRL74
10-28-2008, 08:02 PM
VP, we don't think Mo is untouchable, nor do we universally support him.

I would like to see what he can get done. We've had two years and I want no more excuses. He has to produce the goods this off-season and he knows it.

But this off-season is my limit. He needs to make good things happen.

I also do not think that everything that's been done the past two years is all negative. We have the beginnings of a solid young base for the team. We need some more players to build on that.

What difference does it make if you fire him after 2 or 3 years. I just have a bad feeling about this offseason with Mo at the helm. Personally I don't believe he can deliver. If you go to Brazil twice I believe, and walk away with nothing you are not doing your job. This foundation of young talent you mention, who are they? Rosenlund, Barrett, Johan Smith, Ibby if we are going to be true contenders these guys are bench players. So really what do we have in our starting 11, Guevara shows up here and there and is on the decline. Ricketts also shows up time to time you can't depend on him to get it done. Dichio I love the guy but it's over for him. Brennan not bad but he is more of a sentimental player than anything. So really this 5 year plan is looking more like a 8 year plan, but that's ok we are patient.

Shakes McQueen
10-28-2008, 08:31 PM
This maybe true, but you just watch Seattle next season they will prove all this year two shit wrong. These guys have a solid ownership group that wants success. They know what style of team they want to build and are looking all over the globe for players. MLSE is looking for profits period, Mo has no plan he is just winging it. He doesn't look for players, his agent brings them too him. I'm a huge TFC supporter but it would not shock me if Seattle were playoff bound next season and we aren't. Before anyone starts spouting off about the Lundberg signing this guy is a great player, and atleast Seattle is making an effort to build something.

So far they have a returning US international, and Washington state native in goal, an expensive gamble in midfield, and two guys who currently play for USL Seattle Sounders.

They also expect many other current Sounders players to move over to the new club.

So yeah, they might do better than your average expansion club, but that's because they aren't really an expansion club - they are a largely established club in a new league, with a handful of draft pickups and an expensive acquisition. And as has been established here - USL really isn't THAT far behind MLS, in terms of competition.

Toronto FC didn't exist three years ago, in any capacity. And what are you talking about in regards to Mo having players "delivered to him" - one of the running jokes among his detractors, is that he only brings in people from overseas that he or Carver used to work with.

- Scott

Jack
10-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Everyone's frustrated and wants to see the team get better.

My core of players that we can build around for next season?

Ricketts
Sutton (not great, but not terrible, a solid MLS keeper)
Brennan
Robbo
Barrett
Dichio (still brings it when he plays)
Guevara

Bench guys:
Harmse (makes some boneheaded plays, but has also acquitted himself respectably on the backline)
Rosenlund
James
Jo Smith
Dunivant
Ibby
Edwards (proved he wasn't quite ready for primetime, but Carver started the season with him for a reason)

So we really need to shore up the backline and get a striker who can put the goals in.

Also, a few more depth players.

I don't think it's as dire as some predict. Certainly we have better players now than we did a year ago and more youth who are worth keeping.

Five more points make the playoffs. How many games did we give up goals in the last minutes of games or halves? How many good chances were wasted by the lack of finishing?

You fill those two holes (which are admittedly big) and you could probably chalk up 4 or so more wins, which is comfortable playoff territory.

So we need to get two defenders who can play and a DP striker, plus fill in a couple more bench spots with half-decent MLS players.

That's 5 guys.

Make it happen, Mo.

(of course all this is contingent up on Robbo staying and Dichio not retiring, though if we get a DP striker, Dichio retiring won't hurt as much)

Beach_Red
10-28-2008, 08:57 PM
So we need to get two defenders who can play and a DP striker, plus fill in a couple more bench spots with half-decent MLS players.

That's 5 guys.

Wait a minute, this makes sense.

OneLoveOneEric
10-28-2008, 09:01 PM
That's 5 guys.

Make it happen, Mo.

(of course all this is contingent up on Robbo staying and Dichio not retiring, though if we get a DP striker, Dichio retiring won't hurt as much)

5 guys sounds like a tall order to me, assuming we mean 5 actual players, not a crew of placeholders....
Mo hasn't yet given me evidence that he can deliver that number of quality players in one swoop, but I really hope he proves me wrong.

Beach_Red
10-28-2008, 09:18 PM
5 guys sounds like a tall order to me, assuming we mean 5 actual players, not a crew of placeholders....
Mo hasn't yet given me evidence that he can deliver that number of quality players in one swoop, but I really hope he proves me wrong.

No, he said three guys and a couple others already in MLS. If you agree that amount of improvement will be enough to get into the playoffs, then there's actually been plenty of evidence that it can get done next year. What he's talking about is a Guevara and a Ricketts, a couple of decent trades and a good draft pick. Basically exactly what's been done each of the first two seasons (I hadn't actually thought about it like this, so thanks Jack).

The DP is always the real issue, of course, but it can be solved with money. You can be sure that a few names will be given to the MLSE board and then it's up to them.

King Tut
10-28-2008, 09:44 PM
haha Seatle Sounds... makes me think of Gino beats or some kind of music genre.

typo :o

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-28-2008, 10:11 PM

we don;t need a DP what we need are footballers that are willing to put in 100% effort every match. Right now maybe 7-8guys fill that quota.
LA Galaxy and the DP? How have they done with one?

Mango Kid
10-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks for having my back there, Dirk Diggler (that sounds sooooo wrong). And thanks for clarifying, OneLove. Was wondering why/if that was aimed my way when I said nothing of the sort.

By no means am I saying I don't want a DP - quite the opposite in fact, I just think that bringing what the Leafs (or Raptors) spend into the equation isn't at all relevant - apples and oranges.

That said, if TFC was to sign a guy like Freddie Oldberg for $5 million, I'd be dead against it. That ship has sailed and I recall hearing more than a few times last couple years of how his legs couldn't take 90 minutes anymore. You don't go from Arsenal to West Ham to a buyout for no reason - it is usually because something is wrong. Frankly, I'm more impressed Seattle has Kellar in the ranks than Freddie, ESPECIALLY at $5 mill (or whatever the number happens to be if it is north of that).

CretanBull
10-29-2008, 12:04 AM

QFT!!

James17930
10-29-2008, 05:17 AM

A lot of people said the same things about Blanco and Beckham and Angel when they signed too, and yet . . .

He's got 4 1/2 months, which includes a roughly 7 - 8 week pre-season to get in shape.

I say he deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.

CretanBull
10-29-2008, 06:41 AM
His actual deal turned out to be 2 years at $2.5 million...that's a lot more reasonable than the $20 million that was rumoured.

vergilg
10-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Who's Mo gonna sign? All his connections are in the SPL, and the best players from the SPL go to the EPL.

Don't need a fucking DP, we need young good talent who are hungry for success and hungry to prove themselves. The best of that young talent will inevitably move to Europe, but in the mean time they can help TFC win.

I'd rather have MLS and TFC be a breeding ground for young stars than be a retirement home for aging, injured former stars (of Europe or anywhere else).

Europe is the biggest stage so losing our best talent, LIKE ALL OTHER LEAGUES IN THE WORLD, is inevitable. But let's get that talent in, MO. Send scouts in South Am., Asia, Europe, and all over Canada.