PDA

View Full Version : 2008 GoTFC Supporters' Cup

James Oliphant
10-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Hey guys,

Let me take this opportunity to say thanks to everyone for making today's GoTFC Supporters' Cup such a huge success. There was some very entertaining football on display, and it was all done with fair play and sportsmanship.

Special thanks to Joe Jesseau and Sandra Moore of Toronto FC, who spearheaded the organizational efforts this year and really brought some nice prizes in for us.

And congratulations to the USector Lynx squad, who captured the cup!

Pictures:
http://gotorontofc.com/gallery2/main.php

Cheers,
James

canadian_bhoy
10-25-2008, 07:55 PM
A great tournament again! Congrats to all who helped to make this thing possible and to Usector for the win.

Great job by all RPB's involved in this tournament. Next year we'll take a strong kick at this thing!

James Oliphant
10-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Dude, I didn't even see you there today...what gives? I had the same thing happen to me with Jack, although I did finally see him right before the trophy presentation.

Mrs. Workie
10-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks to everyone involved, I had a great time yesterday!

One suggestion for next year....a massage tent!

TheHollister
10-26-2008, 03:00 PM
One suggestion for next year....a massage tent!
Oh jeez, yes. And a chiropractor!

Had a fantastic time yesterday. Thanks everyone! :D

Torcida
10-26-2008, 03:41 PM
It was a great tournament.

Go TFC United - Undefeated and no goals against!

SLBuu
10-26-2008, 04:07 PM
didnt even know this was going on.

King Tut
10-26-2008, 04:10 PM
I had a blast playing and hanging out with everyone.

Congrats to U-Sector for winning it! :)

sulfur
10-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Another suggestion: Beer tent. :)

King Tut
10-26-2008, 04:18 PM
and another suggestion for less year, make it 6 (including goalie) on 6...It makes for more space on the pitch and brings out the best in alot of people...and make it two groups of 6, with the top 2 in each group qualifying to the semis...

Parkdale
10-26-2008, 04:38 PM
looks like fun.

http://gotorontofc.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=598&g2_serialNumber=1

^ wait? no RPB scarf held up?
We're never going to keep our Media Whore reputation like that.

:D

sulfur
10-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Dude.. Martin and I are front and centre. What more need be said for RPB Media Whoredom? :D

King Tut
10-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Dude.. Martin and I are front and centre. What more need be said for RPB Media Whoredom? :D
Who's that fella to your right that was rocking two classy jerseys? :D

Parkdale
10-26-2008, 05:21 PM

well yes, you're both grade-A whores, but where's the scarf?

TorCanSoc
10-26-2008, 06:27 PM
How did we do, Wins-Losses-Humiliations-Ass whooopings?

Parkdale
10-26-2008, 06:36 PM
I think one of the RPB squads got murdered, but another one held their own and was put out by the team that won it all. Really though, I'm sure it was a fun day for everyone.

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Anywhere I can find game by game summary?

I was meaning to go cheer on the troops but the wife got sick and I stayed to take care of her.

TorCanSoc
10-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Next year, I'm in !

Was this tournament of the TRN ringers fiasco from last year?

AL-MO
10-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Next year, I'm in !

Was this tournament of the TRN ringers fiasco from last year?

I assume they didn't pull that shit again this year.

King Tut
10-26-2008, 07:02 PM
I assume they didn't pull that shit again this year.

No trust me, they did this time as well and FO was notified ahead of time, but they still got their way....

alexintoronto
10-26-2008, 07:05 PM
The Group of Death:
TFC Staffers
Tribal Rhythm Nation
NEE Team B
RPB 2

TRN was good again this year, as were the staffers (they faced eachother in the finals last year and the semis this year with TRN winning both times). TRN didn't have the coach with the bluetooth headset and clipboard this year - that may have been the deciding factor. They still had some really good players - though some from last year weren't there.

Groove FC vs U-Sector Lynx was a great game (semis). Golden goal in Extra Time.

TorCanSoc
10-26-2008, 07:06 PM
AL-MO your sig picture is the absolute best I've seen. Epic Fail is right.

Cambridge_Red
10-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Oh well it seemed apart from them everyone was more concerned about having a great day with fellow SUPPORTERS. It's a shame these guys take this as the championship of the universe but what can you do.. It just makes the U-Sector victory that much sweeter

TorCanSoc
10-26-2008, 07:08 PM
I enjoyed the Chicago kick about. But man you guys are young. I'm going to form a Red Patch Middle-Aged man squad. Who's with me?!!!!!!!

alexintoronto
10-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Parkdale ^

James Oliphant
10-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Anywhere I can find game by game summary?

I was meaning to go cheer on the troops but the wife got sick and I stayed to take care of her.

I'm working on that...hoping someone from TFC can give me that info so I can put it in a table.

This table (http://www.gotorontofc.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=168), specifically.

Parkdale
10-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Parkdale ^

zing.

nap time.

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm working on that...hoping someone from TFC can give me that info so I can put it in a table.

This table (http://www.gotorontofc.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=168), specifically.

Booya...that's pretty sweet. I will be checking regularly to see if you wind up getting the info.

James Oliphant
10-26-2008, 07:15 PM
I'll post here when I do.

I built that page with the intention of updating it during the tournament. Then I decided it wasn't a good idea to bring my laptop into a rain storm.

canadian_bhoy
10-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Hilarious that this all started as a way for bitching supporters groups to hang out face to face and now has turned into a really great tourney - next year will be even bigger and better!

James Oliphant
10-26-2008, 07:21 PM
I still kinda wish we'd do an indoor tourney too...maybe a few weeks before the start of the season. Seeing as that's how it all began.

canadian_bhoy
10-26-2008, 07:24 PM
I still kinda wish we'd do an indoor tourney too...maybe a few weeks before the start of the season. Seeing as that's how it all began.

Yeah - the first one was great but on such a smaller scale than last year and this years tournaments.

I really like the futsal Centre. Maybe we could do some sort of league night once a month where we play a few matches between supporters.

Cambridge_Red
10-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Thats a good idea. It could be difficult to get decent number for all the groups as some members are from outside the GTA. I would be interested if this could be a weekend thing.

canadian_bhoy
10-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Thats a good idea. It could be difficult to get decent number for all the groups as some members are from outside the GTA. I would be interested if this could be a weekend thing.

As anyone who was part of the first supporters cup can tell you - I'm not the best at organizing things. I'm willing to help however I can. I think once a month, rent out a few hours at the futsal centre - followed by some beers.

Good times. (especially good for keeping down offseason online bitchfests).

canadian_bhoy
10-26-2008, 07:35 PM
http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v355/180/114/81012806/n81012806_38212661_3905.jpg

Cambridge_Red
10-26-2008, 07:37 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/2973033190_d4b83af801.jpg

;)

GeorgeB
10-26-2008, 07:45 PM
we could do a winter tourney at BMO in the bubble,have three games going at once and with the mesh between fields there wouldnt be much interruption .perhaps an evening or late night tourney ? just throwing it out there ,because its going to be a long offseason.

King Tut
10-26-2008, 07:52 PM
we could do a winter tourney at BMO in the bubble,have three games going at once and with the mesh between fields there wouldnt be much interruption .perhaps an evening or late night tourney ? just throwing it out there ,because its going to be a long offseason.

I like that idea. I always wanted to check out BMO during the bubbly season! :)

I was just telling Scott and Stan yesterday that if we can't get a big showing for a day at BMO in the offseason, I'd like to organize a NEE kickabout at BMO under the bubble.

Cambridge_Red
10-26-2008, 07:53 PM
We can do this I'm sure of it. It's too long of an off season with enough advanced notice we could get some good numbers.

GeorgeB
10-26-2008, 07:57 PM
yes ,last year members of various groups did get together for bmo kickabouts.remember the Balkans vs Rest of the world ?

James Oliphant
10-26-2008, 08:43 PM
http://gotorontofc.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=334&g2_serialNumber=2

Mrs. Workie
10-26-2008, 08:45 PM
yes ,last year members of various groups did get together for bmo kickabouts.remember the Balkans vs Rest of the world ?

Best. Game. Ever!

Who's up for a rematch?!

Balkans FC- We'll fuckin' murder ya!

Dbl_D
10-27-2008, 12:50 PM
The Group of Death:
TFC Staffers
Tribal Rhythm Nation
NEE Team B
RPB 2

TRN was good again this year, as were the staffers (they faced eachother in the finals last year and the semis this year with TRN winning both times). TRN didn't have the coach with the bluetooth headset and clipboard this year - that may have been the deciding factor. They still had some really good players - though some from last year weren't there.

Groove FC vs U-Sector Lynx was a great game (semis). Golden goal in Extra Time.

Group of death for sure... Holly concussed and myself black eye playing TRN... I think the RBP2 was outstanding if I do say so... maybe a practice prior to the cup and we (RPB2) would have fought for a playoff spot... also, if some of those went in in our first game against NEE(b), TRN and TFC staff might have had some worries... (have to hand it to the NEE(b) goalie he stood on his head and stopped us cold...) :noidea:

TorCanSoc
10-27-2008, 12:56 PM
All fun and games. But when 22 (mostly) male egos get on a pitch it has the potential to descend very quickly. Its sad really.

Rudi
10-27-2008, 01:06 PM
All fun and games. But when 22 (mostly) male egos get on a pitch it has the potential to descend very quickly. Its sad really.
Huh? :noidea:

canadian_bhoy
10-27-2008, 08:30 PM
According to the TFC Website - this tournament is now called the Jack Astor's Supporters Cup.

AL-MO
10-27-2008, 08:32 PM
According to the TFC Website - this tournament is now called the Jack Astor's Supporters Cup.

WTF?!? Making a supporter's tournament corporate?

:hulk:

denime
10-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Best. Game. Ever!

Who's up for a rematch?!

Yeah, just like first two times Balkan Express 7- Rest of the world 1 :prrr:
Anyway it was a good time,no tensions and of course a lots of fun,we should do it this winter again.

James Oliphant
10-27-2008, 09:24 PM

All I can do is shake my head...

...and post this:
http://gotorontofc.com/jamey/cup.jpg

James Oliphant
10-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Video's up!

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=315

Barbarez
10-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Balkan Express needs to make a comeback. Workie get on it.

Boris
10-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Best. Game. Ever!

Who's up for a rematch?!

hahahah
thats when juan got the ultimate rug burn on bmo :rofl:

Rudi
10-28-2008, 01:01 PM
YES!

Judas-Sector and Groove FC have a score to settle!

Boris
10-28-2008, 01:02 PM
YES!

and i will be the difference maker....just wait and see :D

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 01:19 PM
YES!

Same bat place... same bat... teams? :lol:

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah, just like first two times Balkan Express 7- Rest of the world 1 :prrr:
Anyway it was a good time,no tensions and of course a lots of fun,we should do it this winter again.

Yes! I heard that the Rest Of The World was talking shit. Something about being able to beat us this year. :rofl:

Mrs. Workie
10-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Balkan Express needs to make a comeback. Workie get on it.

If I had a dollar for everytime I heard that....

YES!

Yes, yes we do. Name a time and place my friend.

However, I have a feeling most of my team would bail again.... :p

Mrs. Workie
10-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Yes! I heard that the Rest Of The World was talking shit. Something about being able to beat us this year. :rofl:

Didn't they say that last year?

canadian_bhoy
10-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Maybe we should just ditch the 12 team Jack Astors cup and I'll organize a Usector V RPB tournament indoor at the Futsal Centre like the first cup. James, can we have the Trophy?

and this time a RPB team WILL score. :(

Mrs. Workie
10-28-2008, 02:01 PM

I scored :D

Rudi
10-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Not against us :p

Maybe we should just ditch the 12 team Jack Astors cup and I'll organize a Usector V RPB tournament indoor at the Futsal Centre like the first cup. James, can we have the Trophy?
I don't think we will be ditching the tournament. We have a title to defend, and more TRN ass to kick ;)

I think what we should look into is a full 90 minute, 11 v 11 U-Sector vs. RPB match. That's different enough from the Supporters Cup tournament to make it interesting, and with all of the FieldTurf bubbles around the city, shouldn't be too hard to pull off, even in the winter.

It just can't take place on a Saturday because we have our league games then.

Mrs. Workie
10-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Not against us :p

However, I would like to point out that the goal I scored knockled you guys out of the semi's. And that was brought to my attention by one of YOUR players...

That's right bitch :p

canadian_bhoy
10-28-2008, 02:36 PM

Not in the first supporters cup! The first cup we had a total of ZERO goals (and that's for 2 teams!)

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Not in the first supporters cup! The first cup we had a total of ZERO goals (and that's for 2 teams!)

IS A GREAT SUCCESS!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/suicidalttoast/4chan/GREAT_SUCCESS.png

Mrs. Workie
10-28-2008, 02:44 PM

Well, no, I didn't play in the first Supporters Cup silly!

Rudi
10-28-2008, 02:49 PM
However, I would like to point out that the goal I scored knockled you guys out of the semi's. And that was brought to my attention by one of YOUR players...

That's right bitch :p
Still, you didn't score against us. :D

Mrs. Workie
10-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Still, you didn't score against us. :D

And you didn't score against us :D

I scored when it was important :p

James Oliphant
10-28-2008, 03:20 PM

Let's see what happens...this year was good, but I'd say this is about the limit of "corporateness" (look at me, inventing words!) that I'd like to see in this tourney. I'll be sure to let them know that.

I'm sure Joe and Sandra know it's a fine line they're walking with this, but we have to give them props for keeping the spirit of the tourney in tact while adding some nice incentives (and making it free).

canadian_bhoy
10-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Let's see what happens...this year was good, but I'd say this is about the limit of "corporateness" (look at me, inventing words!) that I'd like to see in this tourney. I'll be sure to let them know that.

I'm sure Joe and Sandra know it's a fine line they're walking with this, but we have to give them props for keeping the spirit of the tourney in tact while adding some nice incentives (and making it free).

I was really just talking tongue in cheek. I like the tourney at BMO and its great that all the SG's are out for it.

I'm just trying to weasel out a way for RPB to actually win this thing one year :(

H Bomb
10-28-2008, 03:33 PM
I was really just talking tongue in cheek. I like the tourney at BMO and its great that all the SG's are out for it.

I'm just trying to weasel out a way for RPB to actually win this thing one year :(

We'd need to be more ruthless than we are to win it. Actually have a "RPB Rep" team made up. I'm not sure I'd like to see that. I'm not sure it would represent who we are. Although of course I'd love to see an RPB team win

Mrs. Workie
10-28-2008, 03:38 PM

Hand pick a team and there won't be any problems. A "Free For All" sign up usually isn't the best idea.

Rudi
10-28-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure I'd like to see that. I'm not sure it would represent who we are.
Curious.

As a non-RPB, I'm very interested in knowing why you think that having a 'rep' team wouldn't represent who you are.

If you look at it cynically enough, there were only 36 spots (three teams of 12) for RPB players in this tournament, thus no matter how you split it up, no one team would be truly 'representative' of RPB.

To me, a group that has paid memberships is not truly represented by a team (or teams, in this case) that was chosen on a free-for-all basis.

Just my take on it, but I'm not RPB so my opinion is that of an outsider.

H Bomb
10-28-2008, 04:13 PM
What I mean when i say that is that I don't want to see a team who is put together with the only goal of winning. Naturally winning would be great, and I'd love to see it happen, but not at the cost of alienating a single member of the group. A few of us talked at the tourny and we all agreed we need to be more organized but as a group our inclusiveness is a part of who we are (for better and worse). To make a team who's primary goal is to win without putting as much stake in enjoyment and the love of the game would be against my sensibilities.

...although these are my views they may not represent the masses

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Curious.

As a non-RPB, I'm very interested in knowing why you think that having a 'rep' team wouldn't represent who you are.

If you look at it cynically enough, there were only 36 spots (three teams of 12) for RPB players in this tournament, thus no matter how you split it up, no one team would be truly 'representative' of RPB.

To me, a group that has paid memberships is not truly represented by a team (or teams, in this case) that was chosen on a free-for-all basis.

Just my take on it, but I'm not RPB so my opinion is that of an outsider.

I discussed this with Jack and Boris at length. In a time when you are supposedly representing the group name and trying to 'win' something under the name of the group, I personally think you should have your best players on the field. The shortened version of my $0.02 anyway. :p

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 04:17 PM
What I mean when i say that is that I don't want to see a team who is put together with the only goal of winning. Naturally winning would be great, and I'd love to see it happen, but not at the cost of alienating a single member of the group. A few of us talked at the tourny and we all agreed we need to be more organized but as a group our inclusiveness is a part of who we are (for better and worse). To make a team who's primary goal is to win without putting as much stake in enjoyment and the love of the game would be against my sensibilities.

...although these are my views they may not represent the masses

Not saying it has to be 3 rep teams, that said, it could be as well. The point is, you are entering a tournament under your group's name and if you have the talent at your disposal... why not? We're not talking going Tribal Ringer Nation route or anything, but actual talented RPB players.

AL-MO
10-28-2008, 04:19 PM
We'd need to be more ruthless than we are to win it. Actually have a "RPB Rep" team made up. I'm not sure I'd like to see that. I'm not sure it would represent who we are. Although of course I'd love to see an RPB team win

Well NEE had Jose Mourinho, so who can we get to select our team?;)

H Bomb
10-28-2008, 04:20 PM
And there could be a happy medium..but who cares if we win really? I think some of these teams could come close with practise. I think it's fair to say all the teams tried their best to win each game as they should. But to me it does seem like the next worst thing to Tribal ringer nation...and again i'm talking about a team put together specifically for the goal of winning the tournament.

H Bomb
10-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Well NEE had Jose Mourinho, so who can we get to select our team?;)

NEE had a guy who looked like Jose...Groove FC had the man himself runnning the sidelines:D

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 04:21 PM
It's a tournament, called the Supporters Cup. What else is the point, if not to win it? I mean, obviously have fun, but you can have fun winning and losing.

The point of the tournament is for someone to be crowned Champions. If you don't intend on trying to be the best, what's the point of entering the tournament in the first place?

H Bomb
10-28-2008, 04:24 PM
But all the RPB teams did try to win...but they didn't make it the be all and end all. Basically having fun is as important as winning as long as you play the game with integrity (which includes trying to win). Basically the journey is more important than the destination and if the destination is the only thing a team is looking at then I'm not interested in that team.

Roogsy
10-28-2008, 04:27 PM
And if there isn't a fair process to pick the teams, no matter how talented they are, people will be upset. The only thing that ensures people have a fair opportunity to play is a process in place to pick people who will play on these teams. Otherwise, it makes it very political when you have hundreds of members and only a few dozen roster spots. If there is a fair process in place, then the only issue that remains is making sure the teams practice enough...and then have fun.

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Again, if you have the talent at your disposal (ie RPB members)... why not field one STRONG team? Or two strong teams for that matter? Nobody is saying ALL the teams have to be 'rep' teams, but going into a 'Supporters Tournament' I think the main focus should be to take home the trophy as the best supporters team. Things like the Niagara tournament and the kickabouts are for fun, this is somewhat more serious.

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 04:29 PM
And if there isn't a fair process to pick the teams, no matter how talented they are, people will be upset. The only thing that ensures people have a fair opportunity to play is a process in place to pick people who will play on these teams. Otherwise, it makes it very political when you have hundreds of members and only a few dozen roster spots. If there is a fair process in place, then the only issue that remains is making sure the teams practice enough...and then have fun.

I didn't hear any complaints after the Shitcago supporters match, and that was basically a hand picked team.

Rudi
But all the RPB teams did try to win...but they didn't make it the be all and end all. Basically having fun is as important as winning as long as you play the game with integrity (which includes trying to win). Basically the journey is more important than the destination and if the destination is the only thing a team is looking at then I'm not interested in that team.
Why does putting together a competitive team have to preclude that team also aiming to have fun in the process?

One does not automatically exclude the other.

AL-MO
What about having a team that is selected from the best players, and another that is whoever wants to play?

EDIT: With a group our size we could have probably put in more teams anyways. How many teams did we have for our own tournament?

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 04:30 PM
What about having a team that is selected from the bets players, and another that is whoever wants to play?

See my post a little bit up there, I suggested multiple teams of different talent levels. ;)

NEE did it with their A and B team.

Usector had their A team, and then two B teams. I'm pretty damn sure everyone on my team had a blast and we didn't make the playoffs.

Edit: for Al-mo's edit. :lol: Exactly. If we're given three teams, there's nothing stopping us from having... 1 rep 2 fun teams, or the other way around.

H Bomb
10-28-2008, 04:32 PM
but going into a 'Supporters Tournament' I think the main focus should be to take home the trophy as the best supporters team. Things like the Niagara tournament and the kickabouts are for fun, this is somewhat more serious.

And that's a reasonable point of view but i dont really think of it as more important and think we have a different view on it. I'll try my hardest to win any game i'm in, at any level. But I dont place any specific importance on this. It's just games like any other games...any importance we give it is projected onto it from ourselves...in my eyes.

H Bomb
10-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Why does putting together a competitive team have to preclude that team also aiming to have fun in the process?

One does not automatically exclude the other.

No doubt, but it is a fine line

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 04:34 PM
and from what I got in my talking with Jack, he would like to have at least one team that can compete with any team on a regular basis. You have to remember, you are not only playing for yourself. You are playing for the Red Patch Boys name. If you don't compete with your opposition, it makes you, the group, and everyone associated within it, look bad.

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 04:35 PM
No doubt, but it is a fine line

Why is it a fine line though? Usector Lynx enjoyed themselves, yet stayed competitive enough to win the tournament. I fail to see a valid reason to NOT have a competitive team.

H Bomb
10-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Edit: for Al-mo's edit. :lol: Exactly. If we're given three teams, there's nothing stopping us from having... 1 rep 2 fun teams, or the other way around.

See that's what i don't really want to see...becasue that to me says we as a "group" do put winning above the love of the game etc. Groove FC almost made the finals this year, I think with practise any groups of guys (the usual types that showup DO have a reasonable talent level) and almost any team could win, or at least succeed. Having one REP team to me wouldn't represent the ideals of the group....although maybe I'm just mistaking my sensibilities with the groups.

H Bomb
10-28-2008, 04:41 PM
and from what I got in my talking with Jack, he would like to have at least one team that can compete with any team on a regular basis. You have to remember, you are not only playing for yourself. You are playing for the Red Patch Boys name. If you don't compete with your opposition, it makes you, the group, and everyone associated within it, look bad.

Not if they play with dignity and intergrity. Not many of our teams are going to be dominated...again Groove did great this year...

And yeah the U sec guys did great... for me it's a point of principal...I'm not saying we should accept defeat...I want to see a Red Patch Boys win...by I don't want to see us "Buy" a team. I'd rather see the RPB's Hull City team than the RPB's Chelseas.

H Bomb
10-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Basically if the Rep team needed one more player and someone (lets just use me as an unbiased example) asked to be a part of that team and were told no you aren't good enough, I'd be against that. I think that wouldn't represent the ideals of the group. I'd rather lose than leave a brother behind.

Shaughno
10-28-2008, 04:46 PM
To be honest, I don't think you are understanding what I was getting at but whatever.

I revert back to Chicago Supporters VS TFC Supporters. Basically hand picked team, with a few additions. No complaints, we were competitive and we won while... HAVING FUN!

Anyway, I'm out. Discuss among yourselves.

H Bomb
10-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Truth is I had no idea that was a hand picked team. And don't really like that it was...but thats not the type of thing I'll complain about.

I hear what you are saying...and we're very close in our views I believe...just slightly different.

Rudi
10-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Not if they play with dignity and intergrity. Not many of our teams are going to be dominated...again Groove did great this year...

And yeah the U sec guys did great... for me it's a point of principal...I'm not saying we should accept defeat...I want to see a Red Patch Boys win...by I don't want to see us "Buy" a team. I'd rather see the RPB's Hull City team than the RPB's Chelseas.
Well it's not like we "bought" a team. All of the players on the U-Sector Lynx team are fully-active members of our supporters group. Hell, two of them run the group!

This isn't like last year's TRN team where we only looked at winning. Admittedly, we built that team to win the whole thing (and beat TRN), but no try-outs were held, no outsiders brought in, nothing. All of those guys have been at BMO and on roadtrips. All of them post on our boards and hang out at the Duke and Gate. And all played in our U-Sector indoor or outdoor leagues.

Our other two teams were extremely competitive as well, even though they were chosen a bit more "democratically".

pekduck
10-28-2008, 05:12 PM
okay... next year I'll play.. missed out due to SJ road trip...

missing all the fun...

and to the point of winning

come out to kickabouts and team practices... :D

as long as everyone who tried hard and had fun, winning is a great bonus

H Bomb
10-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Well it's not like we "bought" a team. All of the players on the U-Sector Lynx team are fully-active members of our supporters group. Hell, two of them run the group!

And when I say buy I'm being very metaphoric. I have no issue with your process, you guys played great and I'm happy a supporters groups won a Supporters cup. Just a slight difference in principal

alexintoronto
10-28-2008, 08:00 PM
See my post a little bit up there, I suggested multiple teams of different talent levels. ;)

NEE did it with their A and B team.

Usector had their A team, and then two B teams. I'm pretty damn sure everyone on my team had a blast and we didn't make the playoffs.

NEE Team Bravo is offended that you would insinuate we were there for fun and not to win it all. If not for being in the Group of Death, all 3 teams we faced cheating and the worst luck in the tournament we would have won it all. Take this as an open challenge to Team Shaughno!

Losers buy winners drinks and dances from South Side Humpers.

Cambridge_Red
10-28-2008, 08:09 PM

This isn't like last year's TRN team where we only looked at winning. Admittedly, we built that team to win the whole thing (and beat TRN), but no try-outs were held, no outsiders brought in, nothing. All of those guys have been at BMO and on roadtrips. All of them post on our boards and hang out at the Duke and Gate. And all played in our U-Sector indoor or outdoor leagues.

Our other two teams were extremely competitive as well, even though they were chosen a bit more "democratically".

You shouldn't need to really explain this stuff. You guys won fare and square!

Mrs. Workie
10-28-2008, 08:34 PM

Roogsy, I say this with the utmost respect:

Fuck being fair!

Honestly. When you are playing for your group, and representing them, you send your best. You think when the Men's National team is chosen, or any national team for that matter, they worry about being "fair". NO. They send their best to represent their country. Which is what we should be doing anytime the "Red Patch Boys" are going to be represented-whether it's vs another supporters group, or in the supporters tournament. We have our own tournaments and kickabouts within our group for everyone.

Rudi
10-28-2008, 08:40 PM
You shouldn't need to really explain this stuff. You guys won fare and square!
Oh, I know.

I wasn't really trying to "explain" it in a "I feel the need to justify ourselves" kind of way. I was just trying to illustrate that each and every one of our players, from the 'A' Lynx team, to the other teams, were in it for two things, to have fun and to win.

And to show that a team full of true supporters can beat a team of alleged ringers, as long as some forethought is put into it. I think that the redemption of taking the Cup away from TRN added to the fun of it all. But that was just our philosophy going into the tournament. Everyone's is different.

jabbronies
10-28-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't see a problem with hand picking a rep team. I've seen some of the RPB regulars play footy and they are not that bad. Having them all on one team wouldn't be a bad idea at all. We have excellent players in our group, why not take advantage of that and start winning some games?

But I also think it's important to have a B team as well. A free for all team if you would.

jabbronies
10-28-2008, 08:54 PM
And to show that a team full of true supporters can beat a team of alleged ringers, as long as some forethought is put into it.

Just my opinion: TRN wasn't full of ringers this year. They just know how to put together a solid team, just like Usector did or TFC staff. They were definatly a beatable team, the only difference between them and other teams was that they obvously played together before. it showed.

Rudi
10-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Just my opinion: TRN wasn't full of ringers this year. They just know how to put together a solid team, just like Usector did or TFC staff. They were definatly a beatable team, the only difference between them and other teams was that they obvously played together before. it showed.
Oh I agree, they weren't ringers this year. They definitely were last year, though.

I don't even think they were the most individually talented team in the tournament this year. But as you say, it's clear that they've played together before (as have the TFC Staff), so they had the advantage of familiarity.

Too bad it didn't help them :D

Mrs. Workie
10-28-2008, 09:02 PM
But I also think it's important to have a B team as well. A free for all team if you would.

In something like the Supporters Cup? I'd have to disagree. We've got the talent to hand pick and put together 3 solid teams- why not to that? Do you really want one team to get slaughtered?

AL-MO
10-28-2008, 09:25 PM

Fuck being fair!

Honestly. When you are playing for your group, and representing them, you send your best. You think when the Men's National team is chosen, or any national team for that matter, they worry about being "fair". NO. They send their best to represent their country. Which is what we should be doing anytime the "Red Patch Boys" are going to be represented-whether it's vs another supporters group, or in the supporters tournament. We have our own tournaments and kickabouts within our group for everyone.

Well that was the decision made for the tournament this year. Next year I am sure we can look at it again and make changes as necessary.

Mrs. Workie
10-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Well that was the decision made for the tournament this year. Next year I am sure we can look at it again and make changes as necessary.

Exactly, and I'm not faulting anyone. They did what they thought was best. Personally, I don't think it worked.

sulfur
10-28-2008, 09:52 PM
It almost worked for the Groove. :)

Mrs. Workie
10-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Actually, Groove FC was a hand picked team.

Roogsy
10-28-2008, 09:55 PM

Fuck being fair!

Having played competitive sports for years, I would agree with this IF the purpose is to win above having fun. If that is the consensus of the group, I am fine with it. But if first and foremost the purpose is to bond and create an outlet for the whole group, then I would have to disagree.

I know one thing. If what we want is to win, some people who would assume they would be in, may not be. And then there would be hard feelings.

I could care less if we win this tournament or not. But if its a goal of the group to win it, you can assume my support.

Mrs. Workie
10-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Having played competitive sports for years, I would agree with this IF the purpose is to win above having fun. If that is the consensus of the group, I am fine with it. But if first and foremost the purpose is to bond and create an outlet for the whole group, then I would have to disagree.

I know one thing. If what we want is to win, some people who would assume they would be in, may not be. And then there would be hard feelings.

I could care less if we win this tournament or not. But if its a goal of the group to win it, you can assume my support.

When I play sports, I'm there to win. End of. Do I have fun doing it? Yes. Do I have fun if I lose. Yes, it's called being a good sport.

Of course there will be hard feelings. It's not easy to pick teams. But this is when people have to suck it up and realize it's not always about them. You want what's best for the group, sometimes sacrifices need to be made.

That's where we differ, because when I play in things like the Supporters Tournament, I play to win. Losing isn't an option. I am gracious about it when we lose, as long as I know I've given 110%.

Sometimes winning is everything.

sulfur
10-29-2008, 05:39 AM
Well, I was more thinking that it was picked in the most democratic way possible... "hey... I'm drunk... I can play with that team!" :smilielol5:

Heheh.

denime
10-29-2008, 06:26 AM
When I play sports, I'm there to win. End of. Do I have fun doing it? Yes. Do I have fun if I lose. Yes, it's called being a good sport.

Of course there will be hard feelings. It's not easy to pick teams. But this is when people have to suck it up and realize it's not always about them. You want what's best for the group, sometimes sacrifices need to be made.

That's where we differ, because when I play in things like the Supporters Tournament, I play to win. Losing isn't an option. I am gracious about it when we lose, as long as I know I've given 110%.

Sometimes winning is everything.

Agree.
Tournament is competition,not house league with equal playing time.If someone likes to "participate" should organize a friendlies like "Balkan express vs Rest of the world" and participate as much as they want.

Shaughno
10-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Agree.
Tournament is competition,not house league with equal playing time.If someone likes to "participate" should organize a friendlies like "Balkan express vs Rest of the world" and participate as much as they want.

Exactly. Want to play for fun with the RPB's? Come out to a fucking kickabout once... twice... every time. Come to the Niagara tournament. Come to the Balkan vs The World (god knows the World needs talent ;) ). This is a tournament that while is supposed to be fun, is to see who the best supporters football team is. End of story. Yes it's fun, but it's still a tournament with teams representing the group name.

There are plenty of opportunities for people to have 'fun' games. If that's what you are most concerned about, then come to the actual fun matches. Balkan Express vs Rest of the World has been some of the most fun, scramble footy games that I've been apart of.

The Kingpin
10-29-2008, 08:16 AM
But this is when people have to suck it up and realize it's not always about them.

Could this be a paradox? :noidea:

Rudi
10-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Could this be a paradox? :noidea:
http://msp210.photobucket.com/albums/bb247/atomicmouse/stay_classy.gif

brando
10-31-2008, 12:15 PM

Yes....with a little reach over to the U Sector Goalie tree.:D

Scottay rocked the box! Brando Atletico represent!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. Workie
10-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Yes....with a little reach over to the U Sector Goalie tree.:D

Scottay rocked the box! Brando Atletico represent!!!!!!!!!

He's like the Brett Hull of Supporters teams :D

You guys didn't want him, so we took him :D

Rudi
10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
He's like the Brett Hull of Supporters teams :D

You guys didn't want him, so we took him :D
I thought that was Shaughno. :cool:

Mrs. Workie
10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
No, Shaughno is Judas

sulfur
10-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Yah. He wouldn't play for Groove either.

Wait... did we even ask him? :D

Mrs. Workie
10-31-2008, 01:52 PM
When we put the team together, he was already playing with Judas Sector.