PDA

View Full Version : If Robinson Does not return...

JDG
10-25-2008, 11:22 AM
With Carl Robinson considering options other than Toronto FC, we need to think about who to consider as a replacement.
TFC without Robinson will be a much weakened side.

Who do you think we could bring in to anchor the back, and carry us forward?

I'm not as familiar with the options as many of you, but I know one name I'd like Mo to consider: Gabriel Alejandro Paletta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Paletta)

ccopela
10-25-2008, 11:26 AM
May not be a direct replacement but if Robbo leaves then maybe Mo will use his salary on Stalteri. As long as Stalteri can get over the turf issue/we get grass.

JDG
10-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Stalteri won't come.

I actually think we would need two defensive mids. With Edu already gone we're lacking in depth.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-25-2008, 11:46 AM
doubt we will get this guy, i think we will either see Kerr back or Gerard Lopez (i think his name was)

wzhxvy
10-25-2008, 11:49 AM
JDG !

ccopela
10-25-2008, 11:54 AM
doubt we will get this guy, i think we will either see Kerr back or Gerard Lopez (i think his name was)

That does seem most likely.

ensco
10-25-2008, 12:17 PM
There's this impressive young Canadian playing in Finland who has had some real flashes of good play

I think his name is Hemming or something

VPjr
10-25-2008, 12:37 PM
JDG, I like your thinking. Paletta wouldn't necessarily be a replacement for Robinson but he's still an excellent young player and very strong. Only problem is that he's maybe too good. I think that he's one or two years away from heading back to Europe (my guess would be to Spain). I think he headed over to England way too early.

If you want to pluck a young stud off Boca's lineup that would fit our needs better, look at Neri Cardozo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neri_Cardozo). Again, he's too good for MLS, would necessitate a reasonable transfer fee (at least $2-3 million) and will likely jump to Europe in a year or so.

A more realistic target would be Fabian Vargas. Very solid player, has featured for Colombia a bunch of times and would not likely require any significant transfer fee.

Another ideal fit (talent-wise) for TFC would be Sebastian Battaglia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebasti%C3%A1n_Battaglia) but I remember who he whined himself off the Villareal roster so he could go home to Buenos Aires so somehow I doubt he'd be inclined to leave the Bombonera for BMO Field.

One North American player that has caught my eye is Joey Gjertsen of Montreal Impact. He's a player I'd like to see with TFC, although I HIGHLY doubt he'd find his way into our lineup. I can see that player going to middling league in Europe or maybe signing with a US based MLS side.

The reality is that replacing Robbo won't really be that tough. there are a lot of guys who can do what Robbo does. I think we need someone who can do better than Robinson, specifically someone that is a better passer than Robbo. Robbo is a very good ball winner but I'd rather sacrifice a little in that deparment in order to find a player who can make an accurate diagonal pass along the ground to get the offense moving forward better.

ccopela
10-25-2008, 12:39 PM
There's this impressive young Canadian playing in Finland who has had some real flashes of good play

I think his name is Hemming or something

I think he may have gotten injured and as now been released.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-25-2008, 01:27 PM
May not be a direct replacement but if Robbo leaves then maybe Mo will use his salary on Stalteri. As long as Stalteri can get over the turf issue/we get grass.

Stalteri is washed up. if he cant get a game with a shit side like Spurs is at the moment, he would be no good to TFC. You will see Stalteri either retire or play in the english championshop on Loan.

ccopela
10-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Stalteri is washed up. if he cant get a game with a shit side like Spurs is at the moment, he would be no good to TFC. You will see Stalteri either retire or play in the english championshop on Loan.

In my opinion he showed that he can still play during the world cup qualifying. Mind you he wasn't the best player on the club, he still showed that he can compete. He also played fairly well for Fulham when he was there on loan last year.

Toronto Ruffrider
10-25-2008, 02:30 PM
In my opinion he showed that he can still play during the world cup qualifying. Mind you he wasn't the best player on the club, he still showed that he can compete. He also played fairly well for Fulham when he was there on loan last year.

To be honest, I thought Stalteri looked pretty woeful for Canada. In fact, the only reason why Stalteri started at RB was because of our lack of depth at that position. Unless we plan to use him in a more offensive role - he was an attacking midfielder once upon a time - he won't be much use to us.

tovan
10-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Stalteri still has a few years left in him. He's only 31 and has a good work rate. The last WCQ game vs. Mexico showed that he can still play, given more playing time he'd be able to put in more consistent performances. Then again, its probably a matter of convincing him to play on fieldturf. Maybe Paul Winspers' conditioning can help in that regard?

There's a good chance that Wynne is going to be picked up by a big club at some point in the near future. Mo should pimp him off for a few million (a la Edu) then maybe TFC can use the money from Wynne and Edu's transfers to pay for some freaking grass and a training ground. Its been said a million times, without grass it would be very hard to attract players.

Robo and Wynne's possible departures would free up a significant portion of cap space. It could provide TFC with the opportunity to rebuild in some way, shape or form. A turning point in the club's history perhaps?

J .
10-25-2008, 02:36 PM
I think Rosenlund may get a shot at starting and perhaps deserves a chance to succeed. He has had his moments. I would also like to see Hemming return, but I guess he was not rated too highly.

Roogsy
10-25-2008, 02:37 PM
And we all know Canada's major issue right now is quality on the back line (surprising since we've always been consistent there) so I really wouldn't look at anyone there to bring in unless they were affordable.

JDG
10-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I think Rosenlund may get a shot at starting and perhaps deserves a chance to succeed. He has had his moments. I would also like to see Hemming return, but I guess he was not rated too highly.

Hemming has asked to be released twice. It's highly unlikely he'll be welcomed back.

Roogsy
10-25-2008, 02:45 PM
I agree with Hemming not coming back. But just to clear, didn't the team release him the first time and requested the release the 2nd? Or did he request both releases?

rocker
10-25-2008, 02:53 PM
he was never released willingly by the club.
the first time I believe they wanted to move him down to the 12K dev spot (since there are only so many 17K ones) and he refused, so they released him.
then he came back. then he requested his release himself and went to europe.

if he had been willing to play for 12K then he'd still be here. TFC never outright said "we don't want you".

Roogsy
10-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Can't blame the fella though. Those salaries are ridiculous. Might as well work for McDonalds.

But the 2nd time was bad timing on his part. Play the year out and then go to Europe. Unless of course Norway was telling him they weren't willing to wait?

bhoybobby
10-25-2008, 03:24 PM
I'd say option 1 is to do everything to keep Robbo, option 2, Gerrard. lol

ua-kozak_TFC
10-25-2008, 04:18 PM
hahahha I predict that Robisnson will leave but will be back sonner than we think....The level of MLS is no where near the one across the ocean just because he is doing ok here does not mean he will be able to resurect his career....

I think he got a bit greedy he saw that edu left and he was contracted by rangers what he doesn;t realize is that Edu trade was the biggest steal ever.... And if i was him I would stay quiete, shut up and play for TFC for the 300+ k a year (overpayed).

pepher
10-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Robinson is not allowed to leave... period.

ricciboy
10-25-2008, 05:40 PM
why would robinson leave? in the first place

TFC OZZ
10-25-2008, 06:06 PM
What about Marc Bircham? Canadian, still has some left in him, and was here on trial last year. He also plays the same position as Robbo.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-25-2008, 11:53 PM
What about Marc Bircham? Canadian, still has some left in him, and was here on trial last year. He also plays the same position as Robbo.

Apparently he didn’t impress - the suggestion was that he didn’t take the trial very seriously.

I like Roselund but think he’s more of a back-up to Guevara than a replacement for Robinson. I’m a fan of Robinson and like what he brings to the team, but I can’t help but think he’s replaceable. I’d like to see a more dynamic / athletic player in his position, something like the MLS pay scale version of Sulley Muntari - if there is such a player out there.

Bobo
10-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Stalteri won't come.

I actually think we would need two defensive mids. With Edu already gone we're lacking in depth.

10$ says he'll be back with TFC come our first game. He's rotting in Scotland right now.

Broadview
10-26-2008, 10:08 AM
If Robbo goes, we just move Amado back a little and put Dero at attacking mid. I don't know how this is such a big mystery to everyone...:)

106-12
10-26-2008, 10:34 AM
GET DE GUZMAN . who needs Stalteri .

rocker
10-26-2008, 10:48 AM
just read this in an article on the tfc site:

As for any concerns about the immediate future of midfielder Carl Robinson, Carver says Toronto fans shouldn't worry.
"Carl's sticking around," Carver said. "He's our player, he's under contract with us, so he's going nowhere. He's staying with Toronto."

TFC_Toon
10-26-2008, 11:23 AM
just read this in an article on the tfc site:

As for any concerns about the immediate future of midfielder Carl Robinson, Carver says Toronto fans shouldn't worry.
"Carl's sticking around," Carver said. "He's our player, he's under contract with us, so he's going nowhere. He's staying with Toronto."

I was just going to post this, hope this is the case, Carver appears to be confident, we need to keep our good players together as we build.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081026&content_id=199153&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

RPB73
10-26-2008, 02:12 PM

You are comparing Spurs and the EPL to Toronto and the MLS. lol

RPB73
10-26-2008, 02:22 PM

If we can get Stalteri to come here he can play the holding midfield position. I know what I am about to say won't go over very well, but he would be an upgrade from Robinson. Stalteri is a better passer of the the ball and has more technical ability. The holding midfielder is not all about tackling and ball winning which Stalteri can do, it's also about moving the ball to your attacking players which Robinson can't due.

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 02:25 PM
And we'd have someone who probably will max out on the salary side AND be a regular on the CMNT which means regularly missing games. (Although Robbo does miss a ton of games as well.)

On the technical side...I do agree though. All things equal, I would take Stalts over Robbo. But they aren't equal. Especially on the leadership side where Robbo excels.