PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Which of these attacking players interest you most as a DP?

jloome
10-25-2008, 03:02 AM
Which of the following players most interests you as a DP (bios linked)

Washington Stecanela Cerqueira (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Stecanelo_Cerqueira)

Kleber Boas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleber_Boas)

Pauleta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauleta)

Vincenzo Montella (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincenzo_Montella)

Hernan Crespo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hern%C3%A1n_Crespo)

Shola Ameobi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shola_Ameobi)

Juninho (J-League) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Alberto_Carvalho_dos_Anjos_Junior)

Kris Boyd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Boyd)

Chris Katongo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Katongo)

Eidur Gudjohnsen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ei%C3%B0ur_Gu%C3%B0johnsen)

VPjr
10-25-2008, 05:40 AM
Crespo...hands down. Truly world class...he'd have an enormous impact on MLS but I suspect he'll hang around Italy collecting DP-like money without having to play in the summer in a lesser league.

Montella intrigues me but he's Italian so he's not coming to North America. Italians don't like to travel much.

Boyd is a very nice player but he's way too young to cross the pond. I'm amazed he's still in Scotland, to be honest.

the guy who makes most sense is Washington. The man straight up scores goals and if he's motivated, he would be a very good choice on a 2 year DP deal.

Erkan16
10-25-2008, 07:40 AM
i got to watch Washington closely while he was in the Turkish league playing for my rival Fenerbahce... he was good and scored with efficiency. i think he would be a good player to have on our TFC side.

TFC OZZ
10-25-2008, 07:42 AM
1. Crespo
2. Eidur
3. Washington
4. Shola

LucaGol
10-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Eidur Gudjohnsen would be amazing ... I think he has the right personality, character and ability to be a Juan Pablo Angel type player in the MLS.

ACSertL
10-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Eidur for me. Anyone who has seen my posts in these DP threads know that I pick him all the time :)

Hernan Crespo wouldn't be a bad choice either, and ditto Chris Katongo.

Yohan
10-25-2008, 09:43 AM
lol Ameobi

these polls and polls aren't going to stop all winter, eh.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-25-2008, 10:20 AM
none of the above would have been a good selection...none worth having here.

Bobo
10-25-2008, 10:29 AM
I voted Crespo (a player who still has quality to start on top European clubs), but right now he has his sights set on WC 2010, so that most likely rules out the MLS.

So of more feasible options, Pauleta.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-25-2008, 11:45 AM
they are all ok, Eidur is the best of the lot imo, crespo would be dope too tho

nascarguy
10-25-2008, 11:46 AM
If i had to pick it would Crespo that is the only player on that list i know.

VPjr
10-25-2008, 12:52 PM
none of the above would have been a good selection...none worth having here.

that's right...because we've already got all the world class players we need on the roster already. :noidea:

ok..I'm curious...if you don't fancy any of those names, who would you like to see TFC sign to add some scoring punch to this team that sorely lacks consistent scoring

Nodoubtguy
10-25-2008, 01:10 PM
http://www.canarias7.es/fotos/o/0606/28931-1g.jpg

Flatpicker....work your magic!!!

arsenal
10-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Would love Gudjohnsen. Would offer some roster flexibility out of the DP spot.

Yohan
10-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Would love Gudjohnsen. Would offer some roster flexibility out of the DP spot.
True. Though I never really like Gudjohnsen as attacking midfielder though

flatpicker
10-25-2008, 04:12 PM
http://www.canarias7.es/fotos/o/0606/28931-1g.jpg

Flatpicker....work your magic!!!

My new rate is $25 per photoshop'd image of a TFC fantasy players!

Fort York Redcoat
10-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Boyd. Not that he'd come here. Just would like it.

loconet
10-25-2008, 07:10 PM
True. Though I never really like Gudjohnsen as attacking midfielder though

I actually prefer him there rather than as a first or second striker. Hell, even in the odd game where he had to do a holding midfielder role he was better. Then again, it might be because the other pure attacking options Barca has make him look pretty average...

Cashcleaner
10-25-2008, 07:14 PM
I had to flip a coin for Gudjohnsen and Crespo. Crespo got it in the end. Good poll, BTW.

jloome
10-25-2008, 08:46 PM
To me, the way he's played in the last four years, Kleber Boas is hands down the guy. One, his contract is likely up next year, same as Washington. Two, last season he scored 42 goals in the Brazilian first division. No, really.He used to be Blanco's strike partner in mexico.

J .
10-25-2008, 09:00 PM
I voted for Boyd, I think he could be a force up front and he is young enough to play for a long time while dominating.

Keyman
10-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Holy fuc gow how can you not pick Klever hes a fuckin beast~~~~~~~!!!!!!

106-12
10-26-2008, 10:44 AM
To be the power house that we should be and deserve in the MLS we need 3 or 4 good players not just DP we nd to make the playoffs . we need to win the cup . I cant wait for it . look at LA and DP

Sonny Cheeba
10-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Fat man Boyd scored yesterday against Hamilton Accies. he's good but he trips over blades of grass hahaha. bit of a whiner too. i wouldn't be against him coming to toronto but he's not my first pick

i voted for Crespo.

Kickit09
10-26-2008, 02:17 PM
at this point i would take anyone really. some of you may think that's stupid, but i think mo's dont fix it if its broke policy is stupid. anybody is better than nobody.

King Tut
10-26-2008, 03:43 PM
That's an easy poll. CRESPO OFCOURSE!

Ossington Mental Youth
10-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Holy fuc gow how can you not pick Klever hes a fuckin beast~~~~~~~!!!!!!

dunno who he is

jloome
10-26-2008, 09:34 PM
dunno who he is

Gangly brazilian striker who played with Blanco at America and has since become a lethal striker. He scored 42 goals in 63 games in his first year in Brazil at Santos, in 2007, and has 20 this year already, 2 ahead of Fluminese's Washington (also in the poll) as of Friday.

Big Bruva
10-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Crespo and if not then Gudjohnson, they would both be brilliant in this league.

Crespo would kill it.

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 11:13 PM
We have a vibrant Argentinian community that is not only already on board with MLS, but would welcome a player like Crespo with open arms and make him feel welcome.

Cashcleaner
10-26-2008, 11:57 PM
We have a vibrant Argentinian community that is not only already on board with MLS, but would welcome a player like Crespo with open arms and make him feel welcome.

I'd go as far to say that ANYONE with even the most basic footy knowledge would want to make the guy feel at home here. Like I said, for me it was a toss-up between him or Gudjohnsen but I'm sure anyone playing at their level here would be warmly welcomed.

Roogsy
10-27-2008, 12:05 AM
True...just saying that some players want to know they are going somewhere where they won't be a fish out of water. If Crespo came and saw someone waving an Argy flag at him and talking to him in Spanish, it would put him at ease. Just listen to James talk about how he was introduced to all the West Indian sites in the city when he first arrived. This is important to them.

CretanBull
10-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Crespo would destroy this league....but Ameobi comes with his own theme song....and Dave from Newcastle, AKA Dave from Stoke would have to become Dave from Toronto.

jloome
10-27-2008, 12:11 AM
You're right. Another thing that would be nice to see is an official "introduction" this winter. Keep us all buzzing 'till spring if they could let the fans under the dome to meet a DP.

Having said all of this, we'll probably end up with Dougie Freedman or something (although he'd probably score 20 in this league, so go figure).

CretanBull
10-27-2008, 12:13 AM
^Not quite the name that Crespo is, but Freedman is a very good player - I'd welcome him here with open arms (especially if he'd sign a max deal that's just under DP money).

Nodoubtguy
10-27-2008, 08:48 AM
True...just saying that some players want to know they are going somewhere where they won't be a fish out of water. If Crespo came and saw someone waving an Argy flag at him and talking to him in Spanish, it would put him at ease. Just listen to James talk about how he was introduced to all the West Indian sites in the city when he first arrived. This is important to them.

This made me thing....do we even have a Icelandic community in Toronto?? The only Icelandic people I can think of are Eidur and Bjork....:noidea:

ACSertL
10-27-2008, 09:03 AM
This made me thing....do we even have a Icelandic community in Toronto?? The only Icelandic people I can think of are Eidur and Bjork....:noidea:

If he's filling the net...no one is going to care where he is from. But if it will land him here I will learn Icelandic :)

romburgundy
10-27-2008, 11:56 AM
It Doesn't matter what their name is!
Its loud and clear from the results that we don't want no 33 year old.

Stugatzo
10-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Crespo for DB (douchebag) not DP.
I'd vote Eidur or washington.

jloome
10-27-2008, 02:01 PM
It's interesting that most people seem to be voting for the ones they want most, not the ones that are more likely to sign here. Washington, Kleber Boas, Chris Katongo and Juninho would all easily be in the high teens as goal scorers (if you played Katongo upfront instead of in the midfield, where he is now) and we might actually be able to get them.

The rest, aside from the rapidly aging Montella, are probably pipe dreams, as even the best DP money (beckhams $6.5M annually) is below what they could make elsehwere in Europe and Crespo has no interest inleaving home. Plus, Pauleta is outta gas. Don't take him on technique and rep if there's no obvious sign of heart or intent.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2008, 03:19 PM
people want big names as opposed to realistic players, its been like that on this forum since day 1.

ACSertL
10-27-2008, 03:20 PM
It's interesting that most people seem to be voting for the ones they want most, not the ones that are more likely to sign here. Washington, Kleber Boas, Chris Katongo and Juninho would all easily be in the high teens as goal scorers (if you played Katongo upfront instead of in the midfield, where he is now) and we might actually be able to get them.

The rest, aside from the rapidly aging Montella, are probably pipe dreams, as even the best DP money (beckhams $6.5M annually) is below what they could make elsehwere in Europe and Crespo has no interest inleaving home. Plus, Pauleta is outta gas. Don't take him on technique and rep if there's no obvious sign of heart or intent.

Katongo would have a vote from me if I didn't miss the bit about being able to click on more than one option :)

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Id love to have one of those 'relatively' noname guys but to be honest, i dont think TFC could pull one of them or would sign one of them either... call me pessimistic

jloome
10-27-2008, 04:10 PM
It all comes down to the bucks, Oss. I doubt at this stage of their career (they both bloomed late) either Kleber or Washington is going to get a $2.7-Million per season type of deal in Brazil or Argentina. MLSE has the means to pay what it needs to get its man, it's an issue of front-office advice, will to pay. If Juan Pablo Angel will play on Football lines for $1.7M a season, I can't see Kleber Boas turning down $1M more than that to play in front of them most appreciative crowds in the league, turf notwithstanding.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2008, 04:15 PM
question is would mlse poney up that much money for a guy that isnt as wellknown especially when bigger names are making in and around the same amount.
Do they care for substance over flash more?

JonO
10-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Do any of them come with fries and a drink - because a combo would make all the difference to me...

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Jloome-
Its not that i harbor some sort of vendetta against MLSE as ive never been a hockey fan, let alone a leafs fan but i can see MLSE making an attempt to have the best of both worlds, player and marketing, as opposed to out and out player. Itd be amazing if they proved me wrong as it would show that they really are serious (not that i think they arent currently but you gotta admit a huge allure of a DP is the marketing aspect). Look at the Nuno Gomes offer. Hes a good player and itll have huge support from a significant segment of the city.

Jack
10-27-2008, 05:09 PM
I hate the fact that the player has to have a big community here.

Just get the best player for the TEAM.

The fans will love someone who helps the team win, no matter what his community is. The best way to market the team is to win. We all know the large number of bandwagoneers in Toronto.

Kleber Boas would be good in MLS, but he's on the downslope of his career.

Crespo would be a dream.

jloome
10-27-2008, 05:22 PM

The fans will love someone who helps the team win, no matter what his community is. The best way to market the team is to win. We all know the large number of bandwagoneers in Toronto.

Kleber Boas would be good in MLS, but he's on the downslope of his career.

Crespo would be a dream.

Jack, he's only on the downslop age-wise. He's been so dominant in the last two season that Santos are playing him alone up top now, and the coach actually had to explain in a press conference last week why they're solely relying on him. His numbers have actually gotten much better over the last four years.

So yeah, at 33 or 34 he's not going to be artound more than two or three seasons. But can you see a guy who scored 42 in one season in Brazil NOT scoring 20 here?

Jack
10-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I agree.

And he was an absolute beast when I was watching him in Mexico.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2008, 05:43 PM

yeah this shit drives me crazy too, sadly i suspect itll be around for a very long time

BlizzardBhoy
10-27-2008, 05:47 PM
How about Henrik Larsson?

He may be pushing on a bit - but I reckon the 'King of Kings' would be an amazing signing. His experience is incredible: Celtic, Barcelona, Man U.

He is currently playing his football in Sweden for Helsingborgs - hamstring injury at the moment. By the time he's fit, our season will be starting. It would be incredible if Mo could lure him over here. Turf would help.

Give me joy in my heart, give me Larrson...

jloome
10-27-2008, 06:11 PM
How about Henrik Larsson?

He may be pushing on a bit - but I reckon the 'King of Kings' would be an amazing signing. His experience is incredible: Celtic, Barcelona, Man U.

He is currently playing his football in Sweden for Helsingborgs - hamstring injury at the moment. By the time he's fit, our season will be starting. It would be incredible if Mo could lure him over here. Turf would help.

Give me joy in my heart, give me Larrson...

Of all the old stars I've heard bandied about, he's one of the few that makes sense, given that he was good enough on his loan at United for Fergie to ask him to stay. But given that he said no then and went home, I doubt he's going to come over here.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2008, 06:12 PM
yep, he was offered another contract at Man U last year and turned that down for his kids so i highly doubt he will be coming here anytime soon

BlizzardBhoy
10-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Yeh - his intention was to finish his career in Sweden, but he's been there for a couple of years now.

It's wishful thinking, but he's probably a bit too old for the top Eurpoean clubs now.
I think he would be just right for us. Again, wishful thinking.

Without the fear of relegation looming over us, MLSE will probably do nothing.

Jack
10-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Plus, we don't have a big enough Swedish community...duh

/sarcasm

ACSertL
10-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Plus, we don't have a big enough Swedish community...duh

/sarcasm

So I have to learn Icelandic and Swedish :) Oh what the Hell...get Litmanen on a plane here too and I'll learn Finnish :lol:

tfcleeds
10-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Washington & Kleber Pereira are both tearing the Brazilian league up this year, and they would be more realistic choices than the Crespos and the Gudjohnsens obviously. However even then, at this stage of their careers, I can't see a player like Washington wanting to leave Copacabana beach for Toronto, I think he would be happy staying where he is at this point.

Kris Boyd would be nice, as would Katongo, but both these players aren't likely to leave Europe just yet, they still will feel they have much to offer.

jloome
10-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Washington & Kleber Pereira are both tearing the Brazilian league up this year, and they would be more realistic choices than the Crespos and the Gudjohnsens obviously. However even then, at this stage of their careers, I can't see a player like Washington wanting to leave Copacabana beach for Toronto, I think he would be happy staying where he is at this point.

Kris Boyd would be nice, as would Katongo, but both these players aren't likely to leave Europe just yet, they still will feel they have much to offer.

Again, it's money, right? My understanding is that the Brazilian league has always underpaid, although I know corinthians is rolling in it; there must be a perverse enough figure that MLSE could trot out to land one of these guys.

Hitcho
10-28-2008, 01:12 PM
What an utterly pointless poll and thread (unless you've had access to Carver's little black book of names he mentioned and also spoken to these players to see if they're genuinely interested in coming to MLS or not).

You could make a list of any players in the world and ask which ones you'd rather have here, and it will mean absolutely nothing. Although i expect that many people will be hell bent on doing exactly that all off season.

Gonna seem like a loooooooong time until the season starts again...

jloome
10-28-2008, 02:15 PM
What an utterly pointless poll and thread (unless you've had access to Carver's little black book of names he mentioned and also spoken to these players to see if they're genuinely interested in coming to MLS or not).

You could make a list of any players in the world and ask which ones you'd rather have here, and it will mean absolutely nothing. Although i expect that many people will be hell bent on doing exactly that all off season.

Gonna seem like a loooooooong time until the season starts again...

Yeah, so pointless that you felt the need to chime in. Here's an idea: the next time someone's discussing something you have no interest in, fuck off an mind your own business.

It's a hypothetical. That's what people do on chat boards, you tool. If the only thing we discussed were hard-and-fast there'd be NOTHING on the board, since everything here at some level is opinion.

Hitcho
10-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah, so pointless that you felt the need to chime in. Here's an idea: the next time someone's discussing something you have no interest in, fuck off an mind your own business.

It's a hypothetical. That's what people do on chat boards, you tool. If the only thing we discussed were hard-and-fast there'd be NOTHING on the board, since everything here at some level is opinion.

Ouch - that hit a nerve, eh?! All I "chimed in" with was that the list was seemingly based on nothing and the poll was therefore meaningless. If it wasn't and there's some basis to it then I take it back and I'd be interested to hear where it came from (as would everyone else on here I expect). Otherwise, I'm as entitled to my opinion as anyone else and my opinion is that this is all groundless. It wasn't personal, and there's nothing stopping other people from getting into your poll and voting, so get a grip and stop throwing abuse around. :rolleyes:

jloome
10-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Ouch - that hit a nerve, eh?! All I "chimed in" with was that the list was seemingly based on nothing and the poll was therefore meaningless. If it wasn't and there's some basis to it then I take it back and I'd be interested to hear where it came from (as would everyone else on here I expect). Otherwise, I'm as entitled to my opinion as anyone else and my opinion is that this is all groundless. It wasn't personal, and there's nothing stopping other people from getting into your poll and voting, so get a grip and stop throwing abuse around. :rolleyes:

Yeah, okay, you're right, you weren't just being a finicky asshole.

Hitcho
10-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah, okay, you're right, you weren't just being a finicky asshole.

Look mate, I'm sorry that I shot down your poll in flames because it seems to have really upset you, which I genuinely wasn't trying to do. But there's no need to get all pissy about it. Just take it on the chin as a valid point of view, or better still make your case for why it's not a bit of a pointless thread. Either way, stop fucking crying about it and resorting to tossing insults about. Sheesh.

dannyd
10-28-2008, 05:12 PM
I'll take Barrett, Ibby and Ricketts any day over any of those over paid egomaniac wankers. Thats all we need, more players with their best years behind them coming here to collect a paycheque and eat our maple syrup. Give me Messi, Robinho or Kerlon Souza and maybe then I'll get excited...

jloome
10-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Look mate, I'm sorry that I shot down your poll in flames because it seems to have really upset you, which I genuinely wasn't trying to do. But there's no need to get all pissy about it. Just take it on the chin as a valid point of view, or better still make your case for why it's not a bit of a pointless thread. Either way, stop fucking crying about it and resorting to tossing insults about. Sheesh.

Dude, you hijacked a thread to say it was a useless thread, perhaps the most annoying thing posters can do on this board and something pretty much universally detested. When you got called on it in a rude manner, instead of having some humility and just saying "yeah, thousands can't be wrong, sorry about that", you chose to defend being a prick. Now, despite my giving you an obvious out with a rude "we'll agree to disagree" piece of sarcasm, YOU keep it going.

Pointing someone out for being a prick is nothing personal, so there's no crying involved. I just dislike pricks. And there's nothing that's a "valid point of view" about calling an obviously hypothetical discussion a waste of time and pointless. THAT, in itself, is an insult, not a "point." Pot, kettle, black.

Ho hum. One more idiot for the ignore list.

Now, does anyone who doesn't want to waste their afternoon defending indefensible discourse want to comment on the DP question at hand?

Hitcho
10-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Dude, you hijacked a thread to say it was a useless thread, perhaps the most annoying thing posters can do on this board and something pretty much universally detested. When you got called on it in a rude manner, instead of having some humility and just saying "yeah, thousands can't be wrong, sorry about that", you chose to defend being a prick. Now, despite my giving you an obvious out with a rude "we'll agree to disagree" piece of sarcasm, YOU keep it going.

Pointing someone out for being a prick is nothing personal, so there's no crying involved. I just dislike pricks. And there's nothing that's a "valid point of view" about calling an obviously hypothetical discussion a waste of time and pointless. THAT, in itself, is an insult, not a "point." Pot, kettle, black.

Ho hum. One more idiot for the ignore list.

Now, does anyone who doesn't want to waste their afternoon defending indefensible discourse want to comment on the DP question at hand?

*climbs down from horse*

Gudjohnsen then. And if we sign him, I'll ensure you get very drunk at his home debut...

:drinking::drinking::drinking: :D:D:D

jloome
10-29-2008, 01:38 PM
*climbs down from horse*

Gudjohnsen then. And if we sign him, I'll ensure you get very drunk at his home debut...

:drinking::drinking::drinking: :D:D:D

(Climbs down off equally high horse,wrenches ancient back in the process.)

I wish lad, I'm in Edmonton. Every game by CBC bold unfortunately.

The genesis of that list was to try and pepper in a few that are realistic whether we know the team has gone after them or not; I figured on Eidur Gudjohnsen because he has moved to the absolute top tier with Barcelona but isn't making it there, which suggests he's plateau'd with respect to personal achievement. He's mentioned that he doesn't like sitting on the bench, so he obviously stays for team hardware possibilities.

So maybe being a superstar over here, keeping the amazing coin he makes at Barca and dominating a league would appeal. I'm as skeptical as anyone, though, so I threw Montella, the Brazilians, Boyd and some other second-tier-but-still-exceptional players on there.

Get drunk for me in proxy if we land one of the big fish, though.

Hitcho
10-29-2008, 03:26 PM
(Climbs down off equally high horse,wrenches ancient back in the process.)

I wish lad, I'm in Edmonton. Every game by CBC bold unfortunately.

The genesis of that list was to try and pepper in a few that are realistic whether we know the team has gone after them or not; I figured on Eidur Gudjohnsen because he has moved to the absolute top tier with Barcelona but isn't making it there, which suggests he's plateau'd with respect to personal achievement. He's mentioned that he doesn't like sitting on the bench, so he obviously stays for team hardware possibilities.

So maybe being a superstar over here, keeping the amazing coin he makes at Barca and dominating a league would appeal. I'm as skeptical as anyone, though, so I threw Montella, the Brazilians, Boyd and some other second-tier-but-still-exceptional players on there.

Get drunk for me in proxy if we land one of the big fish, though.

Holy smokes - that would definitely be a long way to travel on game day. Still, kudos for flying the flag out there. Don't be tempted away by the geographically closer but morally evil Sounders, Whitecaps etc as they join the league. That leads to the Dark Side.

I'd love it if these lists were all (or even some) targets being considered by MoJo and Co, but I fear that the actual players considered will be echelons below anyone on your list, or others like it. So part of my reaction was probably frustration at the thought of months of dreams being dangled in front of us and yet terminally out of reach from the get go. Apologies for bashing the thread though, an unfair thing to do. My bad.

And yeah, if we do sign Eidur in the off season, I promise to get stupidly drunk for both of us, and the rest of the TFC community to boot.

jloome
10-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Holy smokes - that would definitely be a long way to travel on game day. Still, kudos for flying the flag out there. Don't be tempted away by the geographically closer but morally evil Sounders, Whitecaps etc as they join the league. That leads to the Dark Side.

I'd love it if these lists were all (or even some) targets being considered by MoJo and Co, but I fear that the actual players considered will be echelons below anyone on your list, or others like it. So part of my reaction was probably frustration at the thought of months of dreams being dangled in front of us and yet terminally out of reach from the get go. Apologies for bashing the thread though, an unfair thing to do. My bad.

And yeah, if we do sign Eidur in the off season, I promise to get stupidly drunk for both of us, and the rest of the TFC community to boot.

You might be right. I think they'll get whomever they can afford that will put a lot of balls in the net, since that's what Carver has asked for and he has indicated his word gets listened to on transfers.

So it may not be anyone high profile, but it should -- god, please don't let them fuck this up -- it should be someone who can score. There's a plethora of strikers in Europe who are considered JUST off the top tier but who would rip MLS a new one, and I'm not talking about the Kevin Galls of the world (the Jamie Forresters, Dougie Freedmans and Scott McGleishs maybe, but not the Kevin Galls).

TFCREDNWHITE
10-29-2008, 05:39 PM
You might be right. I think they'll get whomever they can afford that will put a lot of balls in the net, since that's what Carver has asked for and he has indicated his word gets listened to on transfers.

So it may not be anyone high profile, but it should -- god, please don't let them fuck this up -- it should be someone who can score.

Honestly, I think they are ready and willing to pull the trigger on a DP Salary that is anywhere in the range of 2 - 4 million a year!

jloome
10-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Honestly, I think they are ready and willing to pull the trigger on a DP Salary that is anywhere in the range of 2 - 4 million a year!

Lord, that would be nice. That's a $40,000 per week payday, which should easily land someone good enough to be impactful.

Hitcho
10-30-2008, 09:25 AM

That would be great but, not to dampen spirits or anything, we'd still need the player to want to come here and play (ie, in MLS, for the basement Canadian team, on a platic pitch). Anyone who is prepared to come just for the 40k a week pay day I don't want (it reeks of Robert but at a much higher cost to us). Realistically, anyone who can command that much money is probably out of our reach. De Guzman is one exception perhaps, because he'd have local hero boy status to play for. How likely that is, see the other thread running on that point...

Beach_Red
10-30-2008, 09:34 AM
That would be great but, not to dampen spirits or anything, we'd still need the player to want to come here and play (ie, in MLS, for the basement Canadian team, on a platic pitch). Anyone who is prepared to come just for the 40k a week pay day I don't want (it reeks of Robert but at a much higher cost to us). Realistically, anyone who can command that much money is probably out of our reach. De Guzman is one exception perhaps, because he'd have local hero boy status to play for. How likely that is, see the other thread running on that point...

No, it doesn't dampen any spirits, it's good to see people looking at this realistically and accepting the fact that it's not the easiest thing in the world to get the right player.

But there are a lot of good players in the world and 40k a week is enough to get someone to play for even a low-ranked MLS team.

So, it takes some time, it can be done.

Hitcho
10-30-2008, 09:46 AM
^ Fair point, and I'm sure if we looked long and hard enough we'd sign someone in that kind of price bracket. My only worry is that they might have the wrong motivation for coming here, which I think is a key point. If we can sign a top Canadian player, that worry is eased somewhat. Look at Brennan and what drives him - that's what we really need here. Dichio is another example, although that's his character not his country driving him on.

jloome
10-30-2008, 04:18 PM
The very fact that Carver said in his post-season standup that they have two or three players in mind already suggests to me they've probably already contacted their reps, well before the season ended. I think you'll see all three names go to the board on Nov.12, with expectations for their salaries.

So it's up to MLSE to basically approve some possible maximums and minimums, then try to hammer out a final deal.

The Oz
10-30-2008, 10:05 PM
The very fact that Carver said in his post-season standup that they have two or three players in mind already suggests to me they've probably already contacted their reps, well before the season ended. I think you'll see all three names go to the board on Nov.12, with expectations for their salaries.

So it's up to MLSE to basically approve some possible maximums and minimums, then try to hammer out a final deal.

What's on Nov 12? Sorry if I seem out of the loop but I really don't know.
Also it saddens me that no one has talked about Juninho, look at his record in the J league, I know that it isn't the best league in the world and he's a little unknown and older but it's still wayyy ahead of the MLS and he has in 150 games 130 goals. IS NO ONE IS SEEING THIS? THIS GUY WOULD TEAR THIS LEAGUE APART and for 2-4mill a year he would definetly consider coming here. Crespo is a little wishful thinking in my opinion as he would rather go back to Argentina than come here. Same with some others respectively. Oh and if anyone says Ameobi out of anything other than jest I will hurt you :).

Yohan
10-31-2008, 12:31 AM
Also it saddens me that no one has talked about Juninho, look at his record in the J league, I know that it isn't the best league in the world and he's a little unknown and older but it's still wayyy ahead of the MLS and he has in 150 games 130 goals. IS NO ONE IS SEEING THIS? THIS GUY WOULD TEAR THIS LEAGUE APART and for 2-4mill a year he would definetly consider coming here. .
At least according to Wiki, this version of Juninho is deeply infatuated with Japan. Would take a lot to get him over here. (And yes, for some people, money is not the sole motivator)

Yohan
10-31-2008, 12:36 AM
A note to consider when even THINKING about a DP candidate.

If he is under contract at a club, most likely you will need to pay a heft transfer fee.

So, considering MLS rules does not allow large transfer fee to be paid because all transfer fees come out of salary cap and allocations, don't even think about dreaming about DPs under contract.

Hopefully this will cut down on a lot of silly speculations (Well, I can dream too!)

jloome
10-31-2008, 02:17 AM
A note to consider when even THINKING about a DP candidate.

If he is under contract at a club, most likely you will need to pay a heft transfer fee.

So, considering MLS rules does not allow large transfer fee to be paid because all transfer fees come out of salary cap and allocations, don't even think about dreaming about DPs under contract.

Hopefully this will cut down on a lot of silly speculations (Well, I can dream too!)

This is true, but it's also the case that we have at least a million in allocation cash, so prospectively players in their last year, who stand to leave in 12-18 months for nothing, might be more attainable.

Red CB Toronto
11-12-2008, 12:02 PM
How does the J-League compare to the MLS as a secondary league on the world scene, I am just curious how to compare players playing their as opposed to North America and their output, I mean Washington scored 26 goals in 26 league games for Urawa Red Diamonds two years ago before going back Brazil.

Martin Groove
11-12-2008, 12:15 PM
eidur would be a great fit, but was he not a little injury prone?

sulfur
11-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Ameobi. If only for "I'm on Setanta Sports"...

"Hello, Dave from... Toronto? Where is Toronto. Is it special? Should Special One manage there?" :D

jloome
11-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Ameobi. If only for "I'm on Setanta Sports"...

"Hello, Dave from... Toronto? Where is Toronto. Is it special? Should Special One manage there?" :D

Oh great, now I have an image of a spitting image Wayne Rooney screaming "where's me rabbits" stuck in my head. Bloody Sulfur. Bloody Liver-birds.

Cambridge_Red
11-12-2008, 02:40 PM
How does the J-League compare to the MLS as a secondary league on the world scene, I am just curious how to compare players playing their as opposed to North America and their output, I mean Washington scored 26 goals in 26 league games for Urawa Red Diamonds two years ago before going back Brazil.

Though 2002 was an automatic qualifying year Japan the JLeague has definately influenced japan as a nation to be reckoned with in Asia. They have qualifying for the last 3 World cups and have won 3/5 past Asian cups. The JLeague must have been an influence on this. They also have a second tier, league 2 if you will...something the MLS has yet to implement. As far as football in Asia is concerned I would say its the best.

jloome
11-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Didn't the Beckham wonder tour see them smoked by a j-league side? Think so.

Washington is still the second or third-top scorer in the Brazilian first division (Kleber Boas Pereira is the perennial first these days). I have no doubt he would rip MLS to shreds. Most of these players would, with ease. But for a variety of reasons, I'm starting to think the team has a much more tightly defined sense of what it wants: young, underappreciated, loads of potential, not quite making it.

We're going to see a lot of Chad Barrett/Iain Hume style players, I think; the working theory from Mo is probably that for every three that are never quite good enough to be a top player, one will turn into a dominating presence. Barrett certainly has the tools, he just hasn't learned to finish yet (and before someone chimes in that all good finishers know how to do so by age 24, you're totally fucking wrong and jumping to a statistically unsupported conclusion, so save yourself the time.) So does Johann Smith, whose ball control is a lot better than people here seem to think.

Beach_Red
11-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Washington is still the second or third-top scorer in the Brazilian first division (Kleber Boas Pereira is the perennial first these days). I have no doubt he would rip MLS to shreds. Most of these players would, with ease. But for a variety of reasons, I'm starting to think the team has a much more tightly defined sense of what it wants: young, underappreciated, loads of potential, not quite making it.

I think you're right. I think the team has taken a pretty good look at what type of player is actually available and willing to come to the MLS and made their plan accordingly.

The very fact that some guy could rip MLS to shreds is almost a good enough reason for him not to come. What's the upside? He did well in an inferior league? Would that raise or lower his profile?

It becomes too easy to say, sure he scored a lot of goals in MLS against a bunch of defenders making fifty grand - so what?

This will change, of course, but not till the salary cap is a lot higher. Even if there's one or two guys on a team making 'real money' so much of the very thin roster is still too far behind.

FluSH
11-13-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm still sad that Pauleta did not show up at the year-end RPB party... maybe next year =P

jloome
11-14-2008, 05:41 PM
I think you're right. I think the team has taken a pretty good look at what type of player is actually available and willing to come to the MLS and made their plan accordingly.

The very fact that some guy could rip MLS to shreds is almost a good enough reason for him not to come. What's the upside? He did well in an inferior league? Would that raise or lower his profile?

It becomes too easy to say, sure he scored a lot of goals in MLS against a bunch of defenders making fifty grand - so what?

This will change, of course, but not till the salary cap is a lot higher. Even if there's one or two guys on a team making 'real money' so much of the very thin roster is still too far behind.

This is true most of the time. The Brazilian league and Argentine leagues are both notorious for under-paying their players, however, and have had a couple of near-collapses economically. Don't let the spending power of some of them fool you. Their week-to-week wages are decidedly low, sometimes, so for some of these guys (i.e. Kleber), DP might be the last chance at a multi-million dollar payday.

On that, don't you think that both Juan Pablo Angel and Blanco (not to mention Schellotto and Huckerby, who aren't even technically DPs) could also have gotten bigger leagues closer to home to sign them on? Of course they could.

But people have to remember. Playing sports in America is seen as an adventure to a world where, whether despised politically or not, the U.s. is the absolute forefront of pop culture, of which sport is a part. That's why Huckerby came to MLS -- like every British kid (and I know, I was raised there) he probably saw something decidedly cool about going to America.

And really, when they're playing in a league that is 90% american, do you really think the distinction of playing in Toronto is going to mean much to them.

No. Logically, the pay and the chance to create something in football's "new world" -- along with find new adulation and fans -- should certainly all trump being paid even less somewhere else.