PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Draft -- We Have Some Options

James17930
10-24-2008, 09:39 PM
In looking over various suggestions about whom and whom not to protect in the expansion draft, it becomes clear that there will be either a good, young guy that we'd have to leave unprotected (like JoSmith or Nana or Ibee), or else a higher-paid veteran (Robbo or Dichio) and then hope Seattle would balk at the salary and not pick him.

But, as we saw Mo do so cunningly during our expansion draft, Seattle could end up picking someone from us, especially one of the young guys, that they know we want to keep and either plan to use him for their team or else demand something in a trade for that player's return.

Seems like we could possibly get kind of screwed, except . . .

. . . we have the #1 pick in the Super Draft (assuming San Jose finish last in the standings, which seems likely, as of course we're going to pound the crap out of them this weekend :D). I think we might be able to use this to get someone back from Seattle if need be.

Only question is, should we? Should we give up the #1 pick to get a guy like JoSmith or Ibee back?

Discuss.

Jay P
10-24-2008, 09:45 PM
ibby can't be selected in the exp draft, he's a gen addidas player.

seattle has the first pick in the superdraft i think...

James17930
10-24-2008, 09:47 PM
ibby can't be selected in the exp draft, he's a gen addidas player.

seattle has the first pick in the superdraft i think...

Oh, right. So SJ's pick would be second overall. Okay, well, I guess the principle would still kind of be the same -- Seattle would get the top two picks if we traded them.

H Bomb
10-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah Seattle does have the first overall pick. But as of right now we have 2 and 4. I can't imagine they'd pick Nana up considering his international allocation but I'd be worried about losing Jo Smith. Check that, I AM worried about losing Jo Smith in the expansion draft

arsenal
10-24-2008, 09:49 PM
There is no one that would be left unprotected that would be worth the #2 pick in the draft.

Captain Croatia
10-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Leave the older players unprotected, most of their salaries are very high anyways, and i doubt Seattle would take one of our aging players, as they would be looking for younger and cheaper players.

H Bomb
10-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Leave the older players unprotected, most of their salaries are very high anyways, and i doubt Seattle would take one of our aging players, as they would be looking for younger and cheaper players.

Wouldn't they be looking for the best players available? Yes the cap is a big issue but these guys will take our top players if we make them available. It's about assets, not salaries.

Wooster_TFC
10-25-2008, 10:05 AM
The rules have just been released and we may very well have a lot more options on who we HAVE to protect, which leaves us with options on who we can protect.