PDA

View Full Version : Rumor - Freddie Ljungberg Announced Seattle's DP Next Week

arsenal
10-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Latest information suggests he will be Seattle's DP and announced next week ...

http://goalseattle2.blogspot.com/2008/10/signs-say-freddie-announced-on-tuesday.html

The hints, rumors and clues have flown in over the last few days and it all adds up to this: it appears that Freddie Ljungberg will be introduced as Sounders FC's 'designated player' at a press conference next week at Qwest Field.

The best soccer writer in Seattle these days, Steve MacClare, has his take on the Freddie saga here. (http://www.prostamerika.com/Sounders2008.html#FREDDIE)

It is possible (though not confirmed, as is none of this) that KING 5 News may be on hand to broadcast the event live.

The pieces of the puzzle have come together today after I talked at length with a Swedish newspaper reporter who I had referred to Gary Wright, Sounders VP of Operations. The reporter felt that based on the interview something is indeed about to happen. The Swedish paper hopes to run a story tomorrow.

Corpand
10-24-2008, 11:24 PM
daimn, that would be sick! He's not in his prime but would give us a good opponent fight against

Sonny Cheeba
10-24-2008, 11:25 PM
maybe we can get NAKA

SHOOOOT NAKA!

flatpicker
10-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Freddie Ljungberg would be a pretty good signing for sure!

I really hope we land someone decent!!!

Yohan
10-25-2008, 12:31 AM
daimn, that would be sick! He's not in his prime but would give us a good opponent fight against
Ljungberg is only 32?

Still got few more years left... Heck, Pires is still doing good and he's like 35 and I think Ljungberg is just as good as Pires when healthy

I guess this means Seattle is not going to get Henry as DP. (hello Toronto?)

flatpicker
10-25-2008, 12:42 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KY1RdKhsXJg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KY1RdKhsXJg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Shakes McQueen
10-25-2008, 02:13 AM

It'll be New York that gets him, if anyone, next season.

- Scott

Red CB Toronto
10-25-2008, 01:11 PM
I do not know how many of you will care, but all of the Sounders game next year will be available for viewing in the GTA market on King 5 which is on both Rogers Digital Cable and Bell TV. I also find it interesting that King 5 is broadcasting the Sounders open tryout on Feb. 1 and be able to vote on who they think should be the final three trial players up for the roster spot.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-25-2008, 01:20 PM
I do not know how many of you will care, but all of the Sounders game next year will be available for viewing in the GTA market on King 5 which is on both Rogers Digital Cable and Bell TV. I also find it interesting that King 5 is broadcasting the Sounders open tryout on Feb. 1 and be able to vote on who they think should be the final three trial players up for the roster spot.

thats great more MLS games to watch with WSBK showing the Revs games...now if CBC would pick up mopre games...ie playoffs would be nice.

arsenal
10-25-2008, 01:21 PM

Perhaps a massive voting campaign to try to get three of the worst players into their squad to weaken the team :)

VPjr
10-25-2008, 01:52 PM
pretty good move. definitely a solid player with a few years left in those legs.

ensco
10-25-2008, 04:26 PM
This is disheartening news.

We can't or won't (or both) compete for this type of player.

Nodoubtguy
10-25-2008, 04:33 PM
They mentioned the rumor during the Barca game on GOL TV saying how originally it was Henry, but maybe he will end up in NYC or Miami now that Freddy looks headed to Seattle with an announcement as early as Monday.

Canary Canuck
10-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Signing Ljungberg will create enough buzz to ensure the season is a complete sell-out in Seattle next year.

Dirk Diggler
10-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Signing Ljungberg will create enough buzz to ensure the season is a complete sell-out in Seattle next year.

LOL not a chance. No way they are selling out Qwest Field more than a couple time next season.

Broadview
10-26-2008, 01:05 AM
How'd they trick him into playing all those home games on turf???

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
10-26-2008, 02:53 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Ljungberg

apparently on Wiki hes alrady signed

Cashcleaner
10-26-2008, 05:11 AM
^ You'll note the absence of a similar signing on the Toronto FC page.

Canary Canuck
10-26-2008, 02:05 PM
LOL not a chance. No way they are selling out Qwest Field more than a couple time next season.

Guess you didn't get the memo but they're capping capacity with the 24,000 seat lower bowl and covering the upper deck in Xbox 360 advertising.

rocker
10-26-2008, 03:04 PM
i guess it's always good to sign a player of this quality.
my sense, however, is that he'll be wasted by an expansion team that will take more than half a season to gel.
i think we've learned that putting together an expansion team is not easy.
individuals don't just make up a team.

bergkamp
10-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Guess you didn't get the memo but they're capping capacity with the 24,000 seat lower bowl and covering the upper deck in Xbox 360 advertising.

They already sold around 18,000 season tickets so I wouldn't be surprised if they sold out almost every game.

OneLoveOneEric
10-26-2008, 06:17 PM
How'd they trick him into playing all those home games on turf???

Just another piece of evidence that many players use turf as a more PC excuse than not wanting to play in Canada......
That's always been my feeling, at least.

Dirk Diggler
10-26-2008, 06:41 PM

Thats not exactly selling out, now is it? I'm quite certain the capacity will be raised for Beckham games and what not.

Cambridge_Red
10-26-2008, 08:06 PM
^ You'll note the absence of a similar signing on the Toronto FC page.

Mo's must take his finger out this offseason we need someone of this quality. We have some good players on this team, but I think we need something a bit special added to make us go the extra bit we need to be successful.

Cashcleaner
10-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Mo's must take his finger out this offseason we need someone of this quality. We have some good players on this team, but I think we need something a bit special added to make us go the extra bit we need to be successful.

He's gotta. Trust me when I say I'll be leading the mob if we get more than a quarter of the way into '09 without a DP signed and on the pitch. We do have good players, some are exceptional at times. Others...well we could definitely do with sending them elsewhere. It somewhat offends me when I look at how well this club is supported and yet have nothing foreseeable in the works for a player that could make a significant impact on the roster.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 07:51 PM

only a few games will be on King 5 the rest will be on their sister station Kong .

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-27-2008, 07:53 PM

we had Obrien and Huckerby, but they didn't want to play of field turf, and any DP Toronto goes after will likely refuse to play here as well, so forget the DP and get players willing to play here...on field turf./

troy1982
10-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Just another piece of evidence that many players use turf as a more PC excuse than not wanting to play in Canada......

My feeling aswell.

Juanito
10-28-2008, 09:12 PM
It's official, it's no longer a rumour.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=586247&sec=mls&cc=5901

He probably wouldn't have worked with TFC but THE POINT is that YET ANOTHER player is signed and we do nothing. Sigh.

CoachGT
10-30-2008, 09:43 AM

mlsintoronto mentioned at the San Jose game that he wondered whether turf was an excuse. Huckerby is true to his word, though, because he doesn't practice with the Earthquakes, who practice on turf. Again, words spoken by mlsintoronto.

When I asked Huckerby about turf, he said that he felt Toronto had the best facilities in the game, but it is spoiled by turf (and in his words, not even good turf). He thought that it might be better if TFC practiced somewhere else on real grass. He did say that it would be tough for Toronto to find a DP that would want to play on the turf there.

flatpicker
10-30-2008, 10:28 AM
^ I thought we had the latest and best turf in the world???

CoachGT
10-30-2008, 10:38 AM
^ I thought we had the latest and best turf in the world???

I thought so too. Never thought to ask him who has good turf.