PDA

View Full Version : Column on Robinson

johnmolinaro
10-24-2008, 11:00 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/10/24/f-carl-robinson.html

Kind of stating the obvious, but I think it needs to be said because he doesn't get his due outside of Toronto...

John

CoachGT
10-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Great article John. Not enough people, even here, give this guy his due.

pekduck
10-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Great read indeed.

Thanks John.

Carts
10-24-2008, 11:23 AM
As far as Robbo on TFC, the only downside to his game is his goal celebration... LOL!

Other than that - losing him would be as you say John, in a word - DEVASTATING...

Let's hope he decides to stay...
Carts...

CretanBull
10-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Great article!

rocker
10-24-2008, 01:05 PM
i like robinson... I defend him against my father's criticisms all the time... but i think this phrase is not quite right:

his immaculate distribution of the ball

i would say his distribution is nowhere near immaculate (which suggests perfection). He makes a lot of mistakes in that regard. But hear me out -- I think that's just the price you pay for his style, which involves quick decisions. The thing I like about Robbo is that he has a sense of where he's gonna pass before he has the ball. And he passes quickly, before the opposition has time to react. Too many midfielders in MLS get the ball, look around, make a decision, then pass. By then the opposition is ready for it.
But the byproduct of his quick passing is that often his teammates are not ready for it (not thinking with him) or he doesn't see that an opposition player is nearby and it gets taken away.
So I see the good and the bad with his passing, but in no way is it "immaculate".

TFCREDNWHITE
10-24-2008, 04:40 PM
i like robinson... I defend him against my father's criticisms all the time... but i think this phrase is not quite right:

i would say his distribution is nowhere near immaculate (which suggests perfection). He makes a lot of mistakes in that regard. But hear me out -- I think that's just the price you pay for his style, which involves quick decisions. The thing I like about Robbo is that he has a sense of where he's gonna pass before he has the ball. And he passes quickly, before the opposition has time to react. Too many midfielders in MLS get the ball, look around, make a decision, then pass. By then the opposition is ready for it.
But the byproduct of his quick passing is that often his teammates are not ready for it (not thinking with him) or he doesn't see that an opposition player is nearby and it gets taken away.
So I see the good and the bad with his passing, but in no way is it "immaculate".

I agree.

Brooker
10-24-2008, 04:45 PM
u dont know what u got til it's gone. :D

jloome
10-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Robbo is a great holder but an average link player, although that probably still leaves him ahead of most defensive midfielders in this league. He is most definitely not "immaculate" at distributing the ball. I'd challenge you to pull up a highlight, John, that suggests he's got that element to the game.

bhoybobby
10-24-2008, 08:27 PM
He's our MVP this year, he's easily the most consistant player we have

Jack
10-24-2008, 08:32 PM

Good post, Rocker.

Yohan
10-25-2008, 12:45 AM
I have a feeling whether Robbo stays or not will depend on how much progress MoJo makes on new signings, esp. DP

CoachGT
10-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Todd Dunivant said last night that Robbo really likes it in Toronto. I hope he stays!

VPjr
10-25-2008, 01:57 PM

Robinson does alot of things well....passing is not his strong suit. I've seen him play for Wales as well as TFC and I see the same weakness in his game, regardless of what team he plays for.

Robbo is a great ball winner. He makes our defenders look better than they are (that tells you how crap they are, IMO). Losing him would hurt, especially if they can't find an adequate replacement but I am confident that adequate replacements for Robinson do exist and can be found for equal or less money.

Jeffro
10-26-2008, 03:21 AM
I hate to say it guys, but from what I'm being told it looks like Robbo is gonna be on his way... I hope he's not but, it's definitely not looking good.

I'll elaborate when I get more "official" info

Inswingingwingman
10-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Another guy who sweeps up at MLSE. Wow, you guys did a good job of recruiting insiders. MI 6 would be proud.

From what I'm hearing in London it's probably going to snow soon. I can't name my source or describe soon, but have faith in me.

I think Robbo will stay, but there's the offside chance he'll go. When he does he won't blame it on the fieldturf, but you guys will. Or perhaps the price of beers. Or he got hit with a streamer....

Jack
10-26-2008, 09:43 AM
He looked like he was saving himself last night...

rocker
10-26-2008, 10:50 AM
As for any concerns about the immediate future of midfielder Carl Robinson, Carver says Toronto fans shouldn't worry.
"Carl's sticking around," Carver said. "He's our player, he's under contract with us, so he's going nowhere. He's staying with Toronto."

Roogsy
10-26-2008, 11:07 AM
He looked like he was saving himself last night...

Totally!

Him and about 4 other players were just going through the motions.

Keyman
10-26-2008, 11:25 AM
As for any concerns about the immediate future of midfielder Carl Robinson, Carver says Toronto fans shouldn't worry.
"Carl's sticking around," Carver said. "He's our player, he's under contract with us, so he's going nowhere. He's staying with Toronto."
Best quote I've seen in a long time.:D

Blizzard
10-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I hate to say it guys, but from what I'm being told it looks like Robbo is gonna be on his way... I hope he's not but, it's definitely not looking good.

I'll elaborate when I get more "official" info

For what it's worth, at the last home match, I focussed in on Robbo when the team came down to our corner and he had a very faraway, perhaps even sad look in his eyes. It might have been my imagination but I thought his eyes may have been a bit red with emotion.

Perhaps we saw a body English (or Welsh in this case) indicaiton that he knows he is leaving and that was the last time he would be in front of us.

I hope I'm wrong!

B

Cambridge_Red
10-26-2008, 08:27 PM
I got the same from DannyD and Marshall so who knows..