PDA

View Full Version : Portuguese World Cup star declines MLS., Pauleta In a TFC Jersey Who Knows ????

tfcmanu
10-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Pauleta was in Fall River last week on a fundraising tour but could have been in the area for soccer reasons, he was recruited by MLS teams and said he wanted to play for New England. Jose Silva, a television producer who is accompanying Pauleta, said both the Revolution and New York Red Bulls offered contracts. Pauleta and Silva agreed the money was not good enough. "I have some friends in the U.S., and they tell me it's a strong and physical league," Pauleta said of MLS. "I've seen some games, but not in person. I know it's difficult to play anywhere."...I believe Pauleta has family in Toronto, Still a possibility for TFC to offer Pedro "Pauleta" a contract. :rolleyes:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/74770 (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/74770)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauleta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauleta)

TFCREDNWHITE
10-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Yup, good addition, but i wouldn't waste a DP slot on him.

BuSaPuNk
10-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Would be an amazing pick up for TFC but sure isn't worth a DP spot.

billyfly
10-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Every Portugueser knows that in the maroon and green he needed to miss 10 times to score once.

No way he's better than Eusebio even though he owns the Seleccao's goal scoring record.

C.Ronaldo
10-23-2008, 04:12 PM
he would tear it up.

We're not taking decent hear.

We're talk best goal scorer ever in Portugal. Thats not easy to say.

I personally don't like the guy's game style, and never proved himself on a real club team. But still

Marco2K
10-23-2008, 04:15 PM
You guys are nuts. PAULETTA is not worth a DP??????

YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SERIOUSLY YOU GUYS ARE FUCKIN DUMMIES

BuSaPuNk
10-23-2008, 04:21 PM

Not at 35 and on the pitch we have, it would tear up his knees. He also hasn't played at all this year.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-23-2008, 04:23 PM
He said no to NE and NJ so i doubt hed play for less than DP money

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-23-2008, 04:23 PM

hes past his time....let the red bulls have em

Nestease
10-23-2008, 05:00 PM
I personally don't like the guy's game style, and never proved himself on a real club team. But still

LOL, he was French player of the year a couple times. Never proved himself for club?

His better years are definitely behind him. In the last couple years he's been a terribly frustrating player to watch. He has the goals to back-up his career, but it's a little misleading.

He can score goals, but you'd have to have a lot of patience with him. He likes to wait for his opportunities, and he does get a lot of them. He's been very happy in France and I don't see him playing here. If he doesn't retire there, maybe one last year in Portugal. He would definitely be looking for a paycheck if he did.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Not at 35 and on the pitch we have, it would tear up his knees. He also hasn't played at all this year.

yea ..because BLANCO at 35 and a DP at that....was a horrible mistake by chicago!...:drinking:

Id take Pauletta anyday..at this level!

Laurignano
10-23-2008, 05:16 PM
To be honest with you all...I think a DP isnt as important as people cut it out to be. I would rather us have a quality side who plays well together then to have just a super star. If Pauletta fits into our system and how we play, then yes, hes worth the money b/c he will score some goals. But, if he will not fit into the system, not has his heart into playing well for Toronto then what will be the point?

All I care about is having players come in who WANT to be here and to WIN for us.

T.Reis
10-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Being from the Azores myself I think it should mean something to everyone when even i admit that he's not the ideal striker on this team.

But (and only but) if Mo isn't going to bring anyone else in becasue no one seems to fit his own ideal compromise of what a veterans "big named" striker is worth and what they can actually bring to the table, then bring him in because it's better then no one again for another year.

And i hate to seem like I'm just here to bring the guy down, but i agree with some earlier posts that the amount of goals he scored doesn't indicate how valuable he really was to Portugal. Case in point.....how many times did he score in a big game? he didn't a lot more often then he did.

Give credit where it's due though.... a soft spoken class act all the way.

Blazer
10-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Even Pauleta “past his prime” is still head and shoulders above 99% of this leagues’ calibre. He’d be an incredible DP player but unlikely given that NY and NE don’t interest him.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Even Pauleta “past his prime” is still head and shoulders above 99% of this leagues’ calibre. He’d be an incredible DP player but unlikely given that NY and NE don’t interest him.

I dont think its that NE and NY dont interest him......ITs the money thats not interesting!...

Blazer
10-23-2008, 06:11 PM
^That's what I meant.

C.Ronaldo
10-23-2008, 06:18 PM
pff French league

Shakes McQueen
10-23-2008, 06:26 PM
To be honest with you all...I think a DP isnt as important as people cut it out to be. I would rather us have a quality side who plays well together then to have just a super star. If Pauletta fits into our system and how we play, then yes, hes worth the money b/c he will score some goals. But, if he will not fit into the system, not has his heart into playing well for Toronto then what will be the point?

All I care about is having players come in who WANT to be here and to WIN for us.

Agreed 100%.

- Scott

TheRenter
10-23-2008, 06:58 PM
don't kidd yourself, pauleta would tear this league apart at scoring goals....he'd make huckerby look second rate.....no joke...just ask PSG and pretty much any other club he has suited up for

gtaguy
10-23-2008, 06:58 PM
give these guys million dollar salaries and they will play in fields full of #$%&.. Its not the talent level
its not the way we play the heat or anything..
its all about what you can offer them.
bringing a player from abroad who has had success in other leagues and they expect a minimum payment is the issue.

Not any different to us when we put a value to the skills we have in our respective fields...

Tfc should be looking at signing some .. european , african, south american, what have you not players that are young and full of prospect that can mature and eventually be added to our squad or dealt around to other teams or leagues...
A dp is great but toronto fc needs to focus on developement to bring in more cash to the cow

jloome
10-23-2008, 07:09 PM
don't kidd yourself, pauleta would tear this league apart at scoring goals....he'd make huckerby look second rate.....no joke...just ask PSG and pretty much any other club he has suited up for

In his prime, not now. And once again, someone denigrates Huckerby without considering that, outside of two seasons, he's been his team MVP just about every season he's played. He was, far and away, the best player in MLS in the second half. Far and away.

I'd take Huckerby, easily, over Pauleta because of how rounded his game in AND the fact that he scores at this level at will. Pauleta will finish the chances he gets in MLS, if he gets them, but with a couple of knee ops and the bestof his career behind him, he's not going to be beating too many defenders on the dribble. A goal poacher doesn't do much good when the team isn 't creating the chances.

Bobo
10-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Do it! He's as worthy a DP as anyone else we could find. Only concern may be form.

David_Oliveira
10-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Pauleta was only good against the Azerbaijan's. He would score 4 or 5 against him but was a FUCKING CHOKE ARTIST when it came to big tourneys (World Cups and Euros). OK striker but not at DP money

BuSaPuNk
10-23-2008, 11:20 PM
yea ..because BLANCO at 35 and a DP at that....was a horrible mistake by chicago!...:drinking:

Id take Pauletta anyday..at this level!

Yeah I completely agree....I would take him at this level as well. But no grass?? He would end up being injured longer than playing for us. Also Blanco plays constantly.....Pauletta hasn't played since last year.....his form would be so rediculously horrendous now...It would easily take him a good 3-4 months to get into game shape again.

Let's just put it this way instead of agruing about things that no one knows for sure. He isn't worth the money that he would command.

Laurignano
10-24-2008, 12:12 AM
I'd rather have a player who wants to come here to play. People should get off this whole DP thing. Honestly, its not as important as you may cut it out to be. How many DP's have come in and have made a major impact? There has a been a few, with Blanco and Angel sticking out in my mind, but it doenst mean they will win them a championship. Id rather have a club like the dynamo, who has great depth and plays well as a club. I'd only want us to get a DP if he will make our club that much better, want to be here and realise how important it is to win a championship for us. I dont want someone to come here on retirement.

Fort York Redcoat
10-24-2008, 08:33 AM
I'd rather have a player who wants to come here to play. People should get off this whole DP thing. Honestly, its not as important as you may cut it out to be. How many DP's have come in and have made a major impact? There has a been a few, with Blanco and Angel sticking out in my mind, but it doenst mean they will win them a championship. Id rather have a club like the dynamo, who has great depth and plays well as a club. I'd only want us to get a DP if he will make our club that much better, want to be here and realise how important it is to win a championship for us. I dont want someone to come here on retirement.

I agree with the fact that the DP is something to add to a team to raise it to its highest level but without a base of good squad players you have LA. That said the DP will always be the biggest focus because it's the biggest investment and has the biggest draw for the club from a name standpoint.

Everyones bias comes immidiately to the foreground when DP talk starts. I'm sure their are competent football fans weighing in here with not as much bias but the point remains that we're targeting a Canadian DP.

That may piss some people off because they think it's a lack of star quality but I'd say that it's the very reason we should be trying to reward the best Canadian player we can find with a salary he actually deserves and make him the household name he should be.

billyfly
10-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Another thing if Pauleta came here is BMO would see ALOT more older Portuguese guys in the stands. It would change the dynamic in teh fanbase somewhat. I'm not saying alot I'm just saying there would be a whole other interest from the Dundas and College St crew.

SLBuu
10-24-2008, 09:51 AM
that might actually be something they want as it brings in a new audience. I cant imagine it would change the atmosphere all that much though.

Troll
10-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Another thing if Pauleta came here is BMO would see ALOT more older Portuguese guys in the stands. It would change the dynamic in teh fanbase somewhat. I'm not saying alot I'm just saying there would be a whole other interest from the Dundas and College St crew.

No there wouldn't. Even with Pauletta those guys wouldn't give a fuck about TFC.

C.Ronaldo
10-24-2008, 10:51 AM
yah, those guys are hardcore Benfica and Sporting fans.

Anything else is like cheating on your family

billyfly
10-24-2008, 02:19 PM
My Dad doesnt give a squirt of piss about TFC but for sure there would be interest and more (more than 0 is anything) porkchops at BMO even if just out of curiosity.

Again, I'm not saying it would be a marketed idea or would even mean a huge jump in sales or anything, just that it would peak the older generation's interest for 1 season or so.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-24-2008, 02:30 PM
meh, no thanks, support isnt the issue here (especially with fairweather fans), id rather have an impact player

giambac
10-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Pauleta was in Fall River last week on a fundraising tour but could have been in the area for soccer reasons, he was recruited by MLS teams and said he wanted to play for New England. Jose Silva, a television producer who is accompanying Pauleta, said both the Revolution and New York Red Bulls offered contracts. Pauleta and Silva agreed the money was not good enough. "I have some friends in the U.S., and they tell me it's a strong and physical league," Pauleta said of MLS. "I've seen some games, but not in person. I know it's difficult to play anywhere."...I believe Pauleta has family in Toronto, Still a possibility for TFC to offer Pedro "Pauleta" a contract. :rolleyes:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/74770 (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/74770)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauleta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauleta)

Okay guys here is the scoop.

Get ready the Pauletta talks are going to heat up quite abit next week.

My close sources tell me that Pauletta will be in town in 2 weeks. The actual date is Friday Nov7. He will be in the College /Dufferin area.He does in fact have family ties in Toronto and will be spending some time here. My sources tell me that there will be a very strong push from the Portugues community and his family to show him a good time around T.O. and try and sell him on the city, league and course the team. If they are successful then talks are likely between TFC and Pauletta.

My own personal view on this is that I agree that he is past his prime. But then so is everyone in this league. I mean the calibre and quality of players isn't at ahigh level comapred to Eurpe. Pauletta at 35 is still better than 90% of the palyers in this league. Remember Pauletta has played at the highest level and in the WC. He has the soccer smarts and skills to still be a quality player in this league for 2-3 years. It's not like TFc will offer him a 5 yr contract. It may just be for 1 -2 years.

anyways TFC needs some fresh blood. Enough of the old hags from England and Scotland who only play a boring brand of soccer. At least Pauletta being Portuguese plays a more appealing game. I'd take him in a heardbeat over the guys Mo and Carve rare scouting in the 2-3rd divsion of the English league.

Stay tuned, from what i'm hearing he is definetly on the RADAR.

Marco2K
10-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Great news.

gonna go down to NOVA ERA and get and autograph.

to the guy that said HUCKERBY is better then PAULETTA... LAY OFF THE CRACK

bhoybobby
10-24-2008, 08:25 PM
He'd be a nice addition, but he's nothing near a DP.

Great player in his prime

Marco2K
10-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Nothing Near a DP????

that confuses me.

Have you not seen the team we have had the past few seasons.

Yohan
10-24-2008, 11:32 PM
I think it's too early to decide on a DP.

let's look at some options before pulling the trigger on Pauleta

azorean10
10-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Man, Would i ever like to see Pauleta here with TFC !

Real classy guy too , as mentioned earlier he is really soft spoken....

off topic i know, but I think he has recently setup a soccer academy for under privileged kids in the Azores, nice gesture by him .....and the goal celebration, it would be great to see him do that in a TFC kit...

"In the French league He was soon nicknamed ‘L’Aigle des Açores’ (The Eagle of the Azores) as his famous goal celebration - in which he stretches out both arms in imitation of the Açor bird (goshawk) after which his home isles are thought to be named - became a familiar sight to French football observers."

rPgel1Pe_uA&feature=related
mZGDKtv0nus&feature=related

Marco2K
10-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Man it would be nice to have him. And i have not been his biggest fan past few seasons. Him and barret would be awesome. With Dichio coming in off the bench when needed. We really need Dichio to come back.

giambac
10-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Great news.

gonna go down to NOVA ERA and get and autograph.

to the guy that said HUCKERBY is better then PAULETTA... LAY OFF THE CRACK

The problem with most people on this forum is taht they don't know football and they wouldn't be able to identify a good palyer if thet saw one. The moron who said huckerby is beeter tahn Pauletta proves my point. Of course he is a Carver fan and an Enlish lover.

Bottom line is that Pauletta would be 100% bettertahn any player on TTFC and he would be in the top 3 players in the league.

TFC should sign him on a 1 yr-2 yr contract. He will attract the Portuguese fans from the city and he may open the doors to othe rfutire players from Portugal making their way over here.

Like I said I'm hearing that there is a good possibibilty talks with TFC will take place. Whethe rit amounts to anything is something else.

NoNameboys
10-25-2008, 06:47 PM
From what i have been reading in the Portugese football papers it seems he's taking up some sort of behind the scenes role at PSG.
If he came here he'd tear up this league.

RPB73
10-26-2008, 01:40 PM
hes past his time....let the red bulls have em

Ya let the red bulls have him so that Angel and Pauletta can tear everyone apart in this league. NO defenders in this league would be able to handle these 2 together.

RPB73
10-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Yup, good addition, but i wouldn't waste a DP slot on him.

Who do you think we will be able to sign as a dp ? Do you really think that someone in the prime of their career will come to MLS. Pauletta would be a good dp, the guy can score goals and his technical ability would be a 100% upgrade from what we've got at the moment. I don't understand this board you guys praise the likes of Robinson and Brennan, than you cut guys like Pauletta. Give your heads a shake, comparing Huckerby to Pauletta. You don't want to give him dp money, but paying Robinson $300,000 isn't a waste of money. Please use some common sense before you start posting.

Bobo
10-26-2008, 03:20 PM

My close sources tell me that Pauletta will be in town in 2 weeks. The actual date is Friday Nov7. He will be in the College /Dufferin area.He does in fact have family ties in Toronto and will be spending some time here.

If you can confirm this then we should get a bunch of guys to greet him.......or kneel at his feet and beg he plays for us next year. First we need to learn how to spell his name right though.:D

tfcmanu
10-27-2008, 12:45 AM

My close sources tell me that Pauletta will be in town in 2 weeks. The actual date is Friday Nov7. He will be in the College /Dufferin area.He does in fact have family ties in Toronto and will be spending some time here. My sources tell me that there will be a very strong push from the Portugues community and his family to show him a good time around T.O. and try and sell him on the city, league and course the team. If they are successful then talks are likely between TFC and Pauletta.

My own personal view on this is that I agree that he is past his prime. But then so is everyone in this league. I mean the calibre and quality of players isn't at ahigh level comapred to Eurpe. Pauletta at 35 is still better than 90% of the palyers in this league. Remember Pauletta has played at the highest level and in the WC. He has the soccer smarts and skills to still be a quality player in this league for 2-3 years. It's not like TFc will offer him a 5 yr contract. It may just be for 1 -2 years.

anyways TFC needs some fresh blood. Enough of the old hags from England and Scotland who only play a boring brand of soccer. At least Pauletta being Portuguese plays a more appealing game. I'd take him in a heardbeat over the guys Mo and Carve rare scouting in the 2-3rd divsion of the English league.

Stay tuned, from what i'm hearing he is definetly on the RADAR.

This is where I hear Pauleta is going to be, we supporters should show up with our TFC Jersey's and flags and sing out loud that we would like to see Pauleta in a TFC Jersey next season...MO are You listening?

Can someone confirm if this is the place and if he will be there on Friday Nov7.

Casa dos Açores
casadosacores@on.aibn.com (casadosacores@on.aibn.com)
772-A Dundas Street West
Toronto, ON M6J 1V1
416-603-2900
F:416-603-0642

nascarguy
10-27-2008, 01:06 AM
he is retired he is not coming

Richard D
10-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Get him and use our DP. He would carry TFC to the title next year.

You guys that keep saying dont use the DP on him etc remind me of people on survivor that get voted out holding the hidden immunity idol.

Use the fucking DP already and lets get to winning...

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2008, 12:22 PM
it wouldnt be out of the question for Pauletta to be the prospective DP, isnt Mo supposed to approach the board on Nov 12?

SLBuu
10-27-2008, 12:30 PM
This is where I hear Pauleta is going to be, we supporters should show up with our TFC Jersey's and flags and sing out loud that we would like to see Pauleta in a TFC Jersey next season...MO are You listening?

Can someone confirm if this is the place and if he will be there on Friday Nov7.

Casa dos Açores
772-A Dundas Street West
Toronto, ON M6J 1V1
416-603-2900

yup, thats it!!

Carter
10-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Its the grand opening of that on Nov. 4? from 2 until 5 or something like that?

billyfly
10-27-2008, 01:05 PM
There will be too many acoreans there for my liking. Not going....

Viva "Os Continentes"!

SLBuu
10-27-2008, 01:05 PM
[reads through thread]

shakes head.... comparing championship futebol to FPF futebol and a player who's played in Euro 2000, WC 2002, and Euro 2004 (i know im missing one by the way)

SLBuu
10-27-2008, 01:06 PM
There will be too many acoreans there for my liking. Not going....

Viva "Os Continentes"!

YES!!!!!!

giambac
10-27-2008, 01:29 PM

Casa dos Açores
772-A Dundas Street West
Toronto, ON M6J 1V1
416-603-2900

He will be at Casa dos Acores 1136 College street (just west of Dufferin) on Friday Nov 7th at 8:00pm.

It is a meet and greet with Pauleta, no charge. I think TFC fans should go there with their jerseys, their flags and even a chant to convince him to come over. Like I said, he has family in T.O. who have spoken highly of the city to him. They will be showing him the city and there is interest in coming to the league.

He will also be at the same venue on Nov 8th for a dinner function but there is a cost of $100 to get in.

I'm hearing that Pauletta is unterested it's whether Carver and Mo want him.

tfcmanu
10-27-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm a little confused I guess Cas dos Acores moved from 772-A Dundas Street West to 1136 College street (just west of Dufferin) "BOLA" ok I think I got it..Hey a little bird told me MOJO & CARVER might be attending this meet and greet ....WHO KNOWS something might happen so lets get the the group together and go down.:rolleyes:

jloome
10-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Bad, bad, bad choice
His goal total has dropped off pretty horribly in the last two years, which to me always indicates they've lost the fighting mentality more than anything else -- Teddy Sheringham was always slow but played until he was 40 because he was smart and still had the fight in him.

Pauleta would be coming for a payday, based on the fact that none of his handful of comments about the MLS to date seems to reflect any interest in either a) growing the sport here or b) winning more titles. Same kind of scenario as Savo Milosevic, as both were poacher types to begin with.

What we need is a player who, famous or not, regular wins and scores. That's all. It ain't complicated; shit, Luciano Emilio was playing in the Honduran league when DC signed him and now he's a DP.

There are lots and lots of strikers like him out there. The key will be whether the team has the presience to realize that wasting time chasing the Thierry Henry's of the world will likely get them nowhere.

I'd also suggest that the only way a single player, like a DP, can dramatically alter results is if he's a guy who creates goals out of nothing (which makes the Freddie Ljunberg signing remarkably stupid, I think.) You need a Kleber Boas, or another major scoring threat, who's playing well below what they coudl be paid under a DP deal. Picking up an African star from themiddle east or a brazilian star from the J-league makes way more sense than pursuing superstars.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2008, 03:10 PM
id much rather have an effective no name dp than a big name flop or even a big name that inconsistently contributes. sadly i suspect that a) we dont have the resources to sign such a noname player and b) mlse will be looking to cash in on the DP as a result we will sign an aging superstar looking to make bank

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2008, 03:12 PM
as to how effective this player will be or how much they will contribute could vary.
I dont think we will sign someone thats an all out flop but i dont think we will see the potential 25 goal season player we could have

Jeffro
10-27-2008, 03:25 PM
All this talk about Pauletta, and I'm hearing Nuno Gomes is much more likely

Ossington Mental Youth
10-27-2008, 03:28 PM
thought gomes said no at mid/start of season

Bobo
10-27-2008, 04:36 PM
He will be at Casa dos Acores 1136 College street (just west of Dufferin) on Friday Nov 7th at 8:00pm.

It is a meet and greet with Pauleta, no charge. I think TFC fans should go there with their jerseys, their flags and even a chant to convince him to come over. Like I said, he has family in T.O. who have spoken highly of the city to him. They will be showing him the city and there is interest in coming to the league.

He will also be at the same venue on Nov 8th for a dinner function but there is a cost of $100 to get in.

I'm hearing that Pauletta is unterested it's whether Carver and Mo want him.

Then that's where I'll be in my TFC gear. We should give him a scarf too!..... So who has one lying around they don't need? :D

Anyone else realistically interested in going?

David_Oliveira
10-27-2008, 04:59 PM
I heard Eusebio wanted to come too and relive good moments in the T-dot....a little birdy told me. Must be the same one that said that Pauleta was coming to TFC.:hump: lol. He has retired (http://www.portugoal.net/PSG0607/PauletaRetirementDate.htm).

jloome
10-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Then that's where I'll be in my TFC gear. We should give him a scarf too!..... So who has one lying around they don't need? :D

Anyone else realistically interested in going?

Anyone else realistically think Giambac has actually heard anything other than the voices in his head? Come on. Get real. Pauleta is not coming out of retirement to score eight for us next season, which is about all he'd actually manage. Hell, Gallardo was less out-of-gas when he left PSG and look at what happened in DC.

giambac
10-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Anyone else realistically think Giambac has actually heard anything other than the voices in his head? Come on. Get real. Pauleta is not coming out of retirement to score eight for us next season, which is about all he'd actually manage. Hell, Gallardo was less out-of-gas when he left PSG and look at what happened in DC.

Dude,

he is here i town Nov 7th and 8th. Call the bar/pub they will confirm.
It's true fact he has alot of family here
It is a true fact there are alot of Portuguese in this city who love their football and know their football more so than the old hags from scotland/England that Carver and Mo continue to bring over.

It is true that he has retired but so have several players who then quickly came back. Pauletta has retired from European ball that's about it.

He has expressed interest in coming to North America and has already inquired into the league with other teams. My Portugues buddies (several I might add) who know some of the family said he has been asked about his interest in Toronto. From what I'm hearing it willmay actually come down to whether Mo and Carver want him on their team for next year. Mo may meet with him on the 8th before he meets with the MLSE upper suits on Novemeber 12th.

If it does happen JUST REMEMBER WHERE YOU HEARD IT!:yum:

profit89
10-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Pauleta stinks

Juanito
10-28-2008, 10:12 PM
yah, those guys are hardcore Benfica and Sporting fans.

Anything else is like cheating on your family

LOL .... let's not forget Porto. I think it's safe to say that the older generations compare the MLS to their European leagues and let's face it, no bollocks, they HAVE MORE QUALITY than the MLS. Maybe someday this will change, but probably when WE'RE that older generation!

BuSaPuNk
10-29-2008, 06:26 AM
If he does come here he will play well. He has quality and will score some goals. I'm more worried if he does come. How the turf will rip up his knees. Oh well let's wait and see.

Bobo
11-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Anyone checking this out tonight? Is it still happening?

Bobo
11-07-2008, 07:16 PM
As of right now, he hasn't arrived in Toronto yet but they do still expect him there tonight.

Bobo
11-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Well, went with a few guys yesterday. I think it's safe to say we can forget about the prospect of him making a comeback with TFC, or any team for that matter. When asked about the possibility of playing for TFC, he said he didn't receive an offer, only from New England (Or Boston as he called them) but he's 99.9% sure he wants to retire to his family in the Acores. Unfortunate, he would have given something to the team, and if his legs age as well as his face (in a dude-to-dude way), then I'm sure he would have contributed.

Got a kick out of the scarf at least.:D

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5545/img49842ur2.th.jpg (http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img49842ur2.jpg)http://img219.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)http://http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5545/img49842ur2.jpg

AL-MO
11-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks for confirming he is not coming. (I am serious)

Roogsy
11-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Very cool.

jabbronies
11-08-2008, 01:40 PM
meh, no thanks, support isnt the issue here (especially with fairweather fans), id rather have an impact player

Thank you.

We don't need a guy to sell tickets. We need a guy who can score goals and make the players around him better. Once that happens, people who don't already care about TFC will start to watch.

Success = interest

Bobo
11-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Of course support isn't the issue, TFC coverage is so great here. I mean CBC Bold, wow. And 242 goals in 424 games certainly doesn't give reason to believe that Pauleta would contribute in the MLS.

jabbronies
11-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Of course support isn't the issue, TFC coverage is so great here. I mean CBC Bold, wow.

If they actually won a few games and actually did something in terms of playoffs or what not, they wouldn't be relegated to CBC Bold.

And 242 goals in 424 games certainly doesn't give reason to believe that Pauleta would contribute in the MLS.

It doesn't. Just because he'd done so great in a portugese uniform doesn't mean that success will translate here. Lets not forget he's 36 years old, coming to a totally different league than what he's used to playing in, and has never played in a type of system that John Carver likes to play.

Also, he won't have the skilled players that he usually has around him in Deportivo, Bordeaux or Paris...

Bobo
11-08-2008, 03:20 PM
If they actually won a few games and actually did something in terms of playoffs or what not, they wouldn't be relegated to CBC Bold.

Sure, people would rather watch winning teams but you don't think that's even slightly naive? There are people who won't watch a winning or losing team because they don't care about the team. You need to give these people reasons to watch. There is often this misconception that because the stadium is sold out every game, promotion isn't necessary. Clearly this isn't the case.

It doesn't. Just because he'd done so great in a portugese uniform doesn't mean that success will translate here. Lets not forget he's 36 years old, coming to a totally different league than what he's used to playing in, and has never played in a type of system that John Carver likes to play.

If Dichio could play (somewhat) in Carver's system, then why can't Pauleta? His feet and vision are way better. And if we moved back to a 4-2-3-1, then he would fit in perfectly. And he's 35 not 36, which at this point could make a difference if we're looking short term.

(His international stats weren't included in that tally. ;))

Also, he won't have the skilled players that he usually has around him in Deportivo, Bordeaux or Paris...

The same could be said for any player coming in from a top league. Let's not forget that he also would no have opposing defenses of the same skill level either.

In any case, it doesn't matter at this point.

Big Bruva
11-08-2008, 06:32 PM
If he has retired from Footy then he has lost the passion for the game, injured etc basically retired for a reason so why woul you want him to come out of retirement to be a DP at TFC?

billyfly
11-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Wow. Something posted on the RPB boards actually became true and happened. A first on this forum!

Marco2K
11-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Well its to bad.

Hey Big Bruva. Who do you want TFC to use the DP on?