PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Reed's Commentary of the Season

TFC USA
10-22-2008, 07:33 PM
In one of the most entertaining MLS games this season, I have to say Nigel Reed, who got off to a slow start in the inaugural season and in the FIFA U-20s, probably came up with his best commentary of the season for me. Apparently impressive enough that mls actually went with the CBC feed for once.

2_mOMNSXpkI

If Guevara scored that goal at the end that would've been a Martin Tyler-esque call.

"RICKETTS!! OH MY WORD!!!" :)

el rojo fanatico
10-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Can't say I have heard him do a game for us yet(i'm always at them) but I do like his work on the soccer show and the fan 590. Good for Nigel that he is becoming the voice for our club.

tfc_4_ever
10-22-2008, 08:43 PM
^^^ Me too

I have heard a couple times on the internet when he was mediocre but to be fair he probably was calling the game from toronto over the web. But this video was a plesant surprise

Well done Nigel

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Nigel is the best thing CBC has going for it football wise...

NateDoGG
10-22-2008, 10:15 PM
he needs new goal lines... "he's doooone it!" is really gettin old.... and "its in the back of the neeeet!"

but i will listen to reed over dobson, and those yanks at fsc anyday "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

RealG-TFC
10-22-2008, 10:25 PM
It was definitely his beast game.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-22-2008, 10:28 PM
he needs new goal lines... "he's doooone it!" is really gettin old.... and "its in the back of the neeeet!"

but i will listen to reed over dobson, and those yanks at fsc anyday "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

lets hope cbc use him to do the MLS playoffs...if they decide to show them now that TFC is out....lets get some TV coverage for the playoffs..

Keegan
10-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Nigel Reed is shite. Being a limey doesn't make you a good announcer and so many people are blinded by that. Reed makes me want to fall asleep, no colour at all.

Roogsy
10-22-2008, 11:27 PM
All I know is he is better than Vic Rauter is am thankful for that!

I like Nigel, but colour guys are usually love'em or hate'em so I can understand if you don't like him. Still...I shudder at Vic...*ugh*

joel
10-23-2008, 09:55 AM
It was better, he still needs more colour..he needs more passion in the voice..at least he's getting somewhat more excited when a goal is about to be scored.

joel
10-23-2008, 09:56 AM
LOL @ De Vos just disgusted when they blew the 4 on 1!

twistedchinaman
10-23-2008, 10:06 AM
I really like Nigel -- he still has a bit more work to do, but he's a country mile over Dobson and the clowns on MSG or FSC or whatever.

VPjr
10-23-2008, 01:03 PM
I like Nigel's understated nature. I hate overexuberance from a play by play guy (that's why I never could stand Swirsky or Bowen).

I prefer the typical, traditional BBC style broadcasters who keep the commentary to a minimum. I've got no use for the GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL hysterics of some commentators or the ridiculous YeeeeaaaaaaHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS of Max Bretos.

Everyone likes different things from a broadcaster so to each his own but I'd hate to see anyone but Nigel do TFC games for CBC. There is no one better in this country right now.

joel
10-23-2008, 01:22 PM
I like Nigel's understated nature. I hate overexuberance from a play by play guy (that's why I never could stand Swirsky or Bowen).

I prefer the typical, traditional BBC style broadcasters who keep the commentary to a minimum. I've got no use for the GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL hysterics of some commentators or the ridiculous YeeeeaaaaaaHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS of Max Bretos.

Everyone likes different things from a broadcaster so to each his own but I'd hate to see anyone but Nigel do TFC games for CBC. There is no one better in this country right now.

I agree that the traditional BBC broadcasters are great, but that also requires a very good handle on the english language. The quality of someone like a Matin Tyler is in the variety and usage of the language throughout the game, and the intelligence behind it. It's a skill, and one that I think a lot of broadcasters don't have.

I think that to a certain extent just have an english accent can mask the fact that you're boring.

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
10-23-2008, 03:10 PM
At first I did not like Nigel .But I am taking to him ok now..

give a guy a chance I say ..

Redcoe15
10-23-2008, 05:50 PM
I prefer Nigel Reeds's understated delivery of a match over someone who thinks they need to talk so much in order to fill in the time. Gery Dobson tries to deliver the same style as Nigel, but Nigel does it better.

jloome
10-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Nigel Reed is shite. Being a limey doesn't make you a good announcer and so many people are blinded by that. Reed makes me want to fall asleep, no colour at all.

Yeah, he's shit. That's why he was an an announcer and producer for the BBC for most of his career and actually called Everton games.

jloome
10-23-2008, 07:12 PM
I agree that the traditional BBC broadcasters are great, but that also requires a very good handle on the english language. The quality of someone like a Matin Tyler is in the variety and usage of the language throughout the game, and the intelligence behind it. It's a skill, and one that I think a lot of broadcasters don't have.

I think that to a certain extent just have an english accent can mask the fact that you're boring.

He was a BBC announcer, he called Everton games for them and was a producer and radio guy as well.

Blizzard
10-23-2008, 07:36 PM
He was a BBC announcer, he called Everton games for them and was a producer and radio guy as well.

Here is a William Houston article from last spring about Nigel.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070418.wspttruth18/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer

Keegan
10-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah, he's shit. That's why he was an an announcer and producer for the BBC for most of his career and actually called Everton games.

And? Why is he here now then? You basically just served that one up. He announced in the premier league wow he must be good. lol
Unfortunately playing in the premier league and announcing in it are two different things.

His english accent masks his brutal commentary

rocker
10-24-2008, 09:54 AM
And? Why is he here now then? You basically just served that one up. He announced in the premier league wow he must be good. lol
Unfortunately playing in the premier league and announcing in it are two different things.

he's here now because he met a Canadian woman and travelled here to marry and live with her.

Reed flew to Toronto, they started dating and in 2004 they married. Reed quit his job and moved to Toronto where Kalli worked as a manager at Petro-Canada.

joel
10-24-2008, 10:16 AM

His english accent masks his brutal commentary

Yeah, I'm not calling him brutal by any means, I just think he could be a more varied in his language, more dynamic. I think the accent masks it a little for people. It just seems at times, he doesn't know what to say, and kinda hangs. I'm sure he is improving though.

ginkster88
10-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Here is a William Houston article from last spring about Nigel.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070418.wspttruth18/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer

Thanks for this link. I had wondered why Nigel appeared out of nowhere on the CBC. You can usually recognize a host or anchor for that network immediately because they essentially have about 10 people covering sports, so I was surprised that I hadn't seen him interviewing the Leafs during a period break or something before he took a seat in the booth.

In my opinion, Reed may not be the best voice calling soccer, but he's the best in North America by a long shot. I can't watch FSC or Sportsnet broadcasts because of Gerry Dobson, and hearing the American commentators on highlight reels is excruciating. If CBC was the only network showing TFC (just so long as they didn't send them to Bold), I would be very happy indeed.

To all of you who can't stand him, just imagine Dobson as the "official voice of TFC"... I don't think it's a pretty picture either

Blizzard
10-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks for this link. I had wondered why Nigel appeared out of nowhere on the CBC. You can usually recognize a host or anchor for that network immediately because they essentially have about 10 people covering sports, so I was surprised that I hadn't seen him interviewing the Leafs during a period break or something before he took a seat in the booth.

In my opinion, Reed may not be the best voice calling soccer, but he's the best in North America by a long shot. I can't watch FSC or Sportsnet broadcasts because of Gerry Dobson, and hearing the American commentators on highlight reels is excruciating. If CBC was the only network showing TFC (just so long as they didn't send them to Bold), I would be very happy indeed.

To all of you who can't stand him, just imagine Dobson as the "official voice of TFC"... I don't think it's a pretty picture either

He had been doing sportscasts for The Fan and 680 News (same owners of course, Rogers) so I was pleasantly surprised to read the news release announcing that he would be calling the CBC telecasts. I was quite surprised when I read in Houston's column that he was doing those sportscasts for nothing until he got his status.

Blazer
10-24-2008, 02:47 PM

We won't wake you.

flatpicker
10-24-2008, 02:57 PM
he may not be the best person around for the job... but I think he does well.
As far as I'm concerned, he's waaayyy better than those U.S. announcers that call MLS games.
They sound like high school kids!

rocker
10-24-2008, 03:09 PM
nigel's had some pretty memorable calls.. like the Dichio first goal and the Edu goal from last season.
he's best when he's at the stadium. that's when he reacts to the energy of the crowd and gets into it. I find when he calls games off monitors from the studio, he's less into it. but he's gotten a lot better even at that.