PDA

View Full Version : MLSDraft.net

seankeay
10-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Hey guys, some of you know me... Some of you dont.

Either way, Last year i did a blog for the score on the MLS SuperDraft.. Well this year i went one step further and created a website dedicated to the Draft.

Hopefully you guys enjoy,

www.mlsdraft.net (http://www.mlsdraft.net)

If this isnt the right place to post it, sorry.. but it looked like the right place since there will be TFC and MLS News.

JDG
10-22-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm looking forward to reading your coverage. Looks good so far!

Nuvinho
10-22-2008, 12:58 PM
great work!!

Carter
10-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Awesome work ... looking forward to your coverage as well.

flatpicker
10-22-2008, 01:03 PM
so TFC has the second pick? ... if things stay as they are?

who would be their main target in the draft?

seankeay
10-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Yea, we have San Jose's pick via the ronnie o'brien trade...

Personally, if i were MJ i would either look to trade for an experienced defender who can not only manage the defence but can also play the ball from the back and hold possession.

If not, then we may have to go after O'Brian White.. its the easy pick because hes a top ranked player ("canadian") who can score goals and has the size to hold up the ball.

The other factor is that the Generation Adidas roster hasnt been named yet, and that usually opens up a big of worms and changes the overall rankings.

Nuvinho
10-22-2008, 01:10 PM
I like the idea of trading one of the picks for an experienced defender.

What I was thinking:

1. With San Jose's pick - if O'Brian White is there, take him
2. With TFC's pick - trade that for an experience defender and allocation money
3. With Chicago's pick - trade for future picks and allocation money

Nuvinho
10-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Hey guys, some of you know me... Some of you dont.

Either way, Last year i did a blog for the score on the MLS SuperDraft.. Well this year i went one step further and created a website dedicated to the Draft.

Hopefully you guys enjoy,

www.mlsdraft.net (http://www.mlsdraft.net)

If this isnt the right place to post it, sorry.. but it looked like the right place since there will be TFC and MLS News.

wtf.....the site is great, it even has salary breakdowns, roster by position!!!!!!

seankeay
10-22-2008, 01:13 PM

The salary breakdowns still need to be updated, im missing a few at the moment but i have the updated stuff...

Try the Draft History, you can sort by mls team, college team, number of picks etc... its my favourite part of my site :P

ACSertL
10-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Bookmarked.

I'll give it a proper look over when I get home from work. I liked what I saw though. :)

Lucky Strike
10-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Yea, we have San Jose's pick via the ronnie o'brien trade...

Only if SJ finishes dead last in the league.

With one game to go, they have 30 pts while the Galaxy have 32. That's the only team they can surpass. The Galaxy own the tiebreaker having beat them twice this year (2-0 and 3-0). SJ will finish last as long as:

- SJ does not win against TFC.
or
- LA picks up at least a point in their next fixture against Dallas.

Pretty good odds they'll finish last but not guaranteed.

denime
10-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Site is added in our TFC/Soccer News Links thread.

Nuvinho
10-22-2008, 01:22 PM

With one game to go, they have 30 pts while the Galaxy have 32. That's the only team they can surpass. The Galaxy own the tiebreaker having beat them twice this year (2-0 and 3-0). SJ will finish last as long as:

or

This is motivation for TFC, a win at San Jose, and we get 2nd overall pick.....and maybe either Marcus Tracy or O'Brian White.

Nuvinho
10-22-2008, 01:23 PM
best comparison so far........I can't stop laughing!!!!!

http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/9&id=30

Lucky Strike
10-22-2008, 01:25 PM
This is motivation for TFC, a win at San Jose, and we get 2nd overall pick.....and maybe either Marcus Tracy or O'Brian White.

True. Although the draft doesn't as much with the MLS as it does with other leagues. Nevertheless, I don't want to be Buzz Killington: Mo is very good with drafts.

seankeay
10-22-2008, 01:32 PM
I agree 100%, the draft isnt perfected yet like it is in the nba, nfl, nhl....

It comes down to scouts, money and plain faith in the system and not many teams give it the respect it deserves. Most of the time its the top 30-40 players in the draft and then the teams have a grasp of the local teams in the area. New England drafts locally all the time and come out with good players (and sure they have Wake Forrest the best college team in the nation in there region) So imagine if they used that scouting system all across the usa, GOOD players would be found.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-22-2008, 01:33 PM
nice one!
Defo bookmarked

Dont see us trading for an experienced defender as not many teams put alot of value in the draft. Also I suspect we have had our eye on White for a while. Looking froward to seeing how this turns out...

Bluenose13
10-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Excellent site......Added to my Favs :thumbsup:

FluSH
10-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Great job... I just hope the backwards thinking tank of the MLS doesn't come down on you.

It's my understanding that they like to shut down anything League/media related that does not go through their approval.

JonO
10-22-2008, 01:54 PM
^^^ You mean like this site? ;)

FluSH
10-22-2008, 02:19 PM
^^^ You mean like this site? ;)

It's over NOW!

Well they have inquired about Parkdale's videos... and shut down that mytorontofc site. I think it may have more to do with photos and video now that I think about it than anything else.

T_Mizz
10-22-2008, 03:29 PM

or

Its in our hands tho which is the important thing but an interesting scenario occurs with a TFC win coupled with a Galaxy win, we pick 2-3

Beach_Red
10-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Personally, if i were MJ i would either look to trade for an experienced defender who can not only manage the defence but can also play the ball from the back and hold possession.

Okay, but is there really a team in this league who'd give up that kind of player for a draft pick?

Your site looks very good.

seankeay
10-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Last year San Jose got Nick Garcia for the 1st overall pick...

29 Year Old Centre Back, 6 USA Caps... Captain of the Earthquakes

TFC_Toon
10-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Nice job Sean!

ccopela
10-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Love the site.
I noticed while perusing the draft history section that NY drafted Olivier Occean in 2003. If he ever fails in Norway and is released wouldn't surprise me if Mo gave him a ring. Mo has a tendency to resign familiar faces. We already have 2 of his former draft picks (Marvell Wynne and Marco Velez) and Tim Regan is kicking around the organization too.... just some food for thought.

TheRenter
10-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Its in our hands tho which is the important thing but an interesting scenario occurs with a TFC win coupled with a Galaxy win, we pick 2-3

really? that's pretty sweet if in fact it's the case. i didn't think we had a shot at having both the 2nd & 3rd overall picks in the first round of next year's draft

seankeay
10-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Bump, a few new articles added to the site yesterday and today

Interview with UCSB Goalscorer Chris Pontius (http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/68)
Also, on the success and failures of the Generation Adidas/Project 40 highschool class
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/66)

Im not going to do this all the time, just want to make sure everyone gets used to looking at this site in a daily roundup.. There will be new articles every day (sometimes weekends)

Have a good one,

Also like to add on the Olivier Occean response, I dont expect him in the Red anytime soon, even if he was available.

denime
10-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Sticked until draft is finished.

H Bomb
10-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Great site. I don't follow college footy at all so it'll be nice to gain some insight. Any idea when the first mock draft will be done?

seankeay
10-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I could do a mock draft today, but it wouldnt help at all..... Its a tricky situation with the mls since the generation adidas class is never released early, which means you have no clue who 10 or so of the top draft picks will be.

But i figure november i will have my 1st mock draft

LucaGol
10-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Aside from picking everyone's consensus favourite player O'Brian White ... I think that are main priority this season should be to try and select the most creatively gifted players available.

If we can get a player like Eric Avila with our 2nd pick or our 4th pick ... I would be a very very happy supporter.

In an ideal world, we'd end up with O'Brian White with our first pick and Corben Bone (the assist machine -- although im not sure he's eligible) with our 4th pick, and the Canadian bomber Daniel Revivo with our 13th.

However, if we pick O'Brian, which Im not sure will be able to, we should not select another striker as that will give us too many young strikers.

Going into next season (making several assumptions on player departures) we should aim for this sort of roster ...

Forwards
DP
Chad Barrett
O'Brian White?
Abdus Ibrahim

Midfield
Amado Guevara
Carl Robinson
Corben Bone?
Signed player
Rohan Ricketts
Johann Smith
Tyler Rosenlund
DM from draft

Defense
Tyrone Marshall
New CB
New CB
Kevin Harmse
Jim Brennan
Marvell Wynne
Julius James
Nana Attakora
Gabe Gala

Keeper
Greg Sutton
Brian Edwards
David Monsalve

That being said MoJo has 4 major signings to make (assuming Robbo stays) and 3 important draft picks to select ...

1. DP striker
2. Experienced midfield offensive player ... along the lines of a Javi Morales or Fred type signing (not those players, but similarly talented players)
3. Starting CB
4. CB with MLS experience

1. Draft Striker
2. Draft AM
3. Draft DM

seankeay
10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
St Louis Defender Calum Angus talks shop with mlsdraft.net's own Terry Dobbs
Calum Angus Interview (http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/67)

We also added a Mike Grella (Duke) interview, which could be the best interview of the year http://209.85.62.26/html/emoticons/laugh.gif Mike Grella (http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/76)

Dub Narcotic
11-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Grella sure seems to have an attitude for a guy who might be making $30k next year playing a baseball stadium.

seankeay
11-04-2008, 01:21 PM
You said it not me... :P

seankeay
11-07-2008, 02:02 AM
New Updates!

O'Brian White Interview: mlsdraft.net (http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/88)
Also, canadian striker Daniel Revivo sits down with Terry Dobbs: mlsdraft.net (http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/77)

seankeay
11-10-2008, 03:43 PM
TFC Article -
http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/95

After spending hours a day on Toronto FC message boards, there is one thing that is clear: everyone has fallen in love with O’Brian White. They think he is a shoe in for that 2nd or 4th pick. I for one disagree with that, but I do think that using our picks to grab Canadian talent is a very smart idea. It’s just that it might not be the case in the first round.

In the first round you want to pick the best player available, one who can help your team. In this case, I’m not sold that Toronto should have a striker high on their list of needs. In particular, if you want to pick up a striker with Canadian ties and a decent pedigree have a look at these two players who could be available at a later time:

Nuvinho
11-10-2008, 04:16 PM
I agree....I would go for a GA player at either 2 or 4, then also the best available striker is Tracy. We could still get White with the Chicago pick.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-10-2008, 05:14 PM
totally forgot about Tossaint, man oh man do i hope we make a swipe for him.
He'd be fantastic on the wing.
Pretty psyched on this preseason.

T_Mizz
11-13-2008, 04:25 PM
totally forgot about Tossaint, man oh man do i hope we make a swipe for him.
He'd be fantastic on the wing.
Pretty psyched on this preseason.
Hold the phone I could've sworn that toisant went to europe?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-13-2008, 04:27 PM
thought so too but from what ive been reading and hearing hes in wisconsin or wherever he is

seankeay
11-13-2008, 08:40 PM
He went on trial to europe last year, just to go out and get some looks but he played the full ncaa season for Uni of Wisc GB.

There is a good chance he trys europe after hes gone, especially if he isnt going to get a full roster spot. Why would anyone accept 17k a year when they could be in europe making 3times more and sitting on the bench. But, if someone offers him a decent deal i wouldnt be suprised if he gave it a shot.

seankeay
11-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Added a new interview, this week it is with 2-way midfielder Brad Ring. Last year he was a contender for the Hermann award and this year hes changed his style of play and isnt making as big of a splash but still going to be a good pickup for any team

http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/87

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2008, 01:31 PM
thanks

T_Mizz
11-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Sean I know you don't want to jump the gun too much on the mock drafts, but when do you see the first one coming? After the Generation Adidas is announced? Which by the way is when exactly?

seankeay
11-18-2008, 01:36 PM
End of the month, i will have one forsure... it just wont have Gen Adidas kids!

Strikers
11-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Just went through the site. You've done a great job Sean. I'm looking forward
to the mock drafts.

EastYork
11-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Great job with the site.

super.eagles.98
11-30-2008, 01:30 AM
o'brian white - he's not performed as well this year as last....and he's not really canadian if he's not going to play for the national team.
Hargraves - English
JDG - Dutch

Ossington Mental Youth
11-30-2008, 05:28 AM
noone cares about whether or not he plays for the cmnt.
he counts as a canadian.
however youre right, hes supposedly not doing as well this season and hes injured.
prob still a decent pick up that we might be able to grab later in teh draft.

London
11-30-2008, 07:30 AM
how is whites ankle?

sidvan
11-30-2008, 08:21 AM
torn acl - surgery last weekend

super.eagles.98
11-30-2008, 10:43 AM
with his ankle maybe he'll go later in the draft and would be a good pick-up then.

it's probably easier to pick up a DP thats an attacking player so draft to fill the needs in Mid and Back.

Consensus top 5 picks from US Uni's and Colleges w/o the GA??

seankeay
12-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Hey guys, Mock Draft should be up tommorow and full of fun!!

Also, Ive gotten strong word that Steve Zakuani is looking to join the MLS next season.
http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/114

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 05:57 PM
niceone, looking forward to the draft

seankeay
12-02-2008, 12:01 PM
You wanted the best? Now you got the best.... From the hottest band in the world!

MOCK DRAFT!!!

http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/117

Also, please be a doll and click on some ads for me, Im paying my way to Florida for the combine and St. Louis for the draft :)

Nuvinho
12-02-2008, 12:03 PM
very nice!!!!!!

Ossington Mental Youth
12-02-2008, 12:25 PM
niceone, thanks
will click away

Beach_Red
12-02-2008, 12:36 PM
You wanted the best? Now you got the best.... From the hottest band in the world!

MOCK DRAFT!!!

http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/117

Also, please be a doll and click on some ads for me, Im paying my way to Florida for the combine and St. Louis for the draft :)

Don't know how it affects your deal, but when I click on the ad on the right hand side (XM Radio) I get an error message.

flatpicker
12-02-2008, 12:39 PM
I clicked the ad and signed a lifetime subscription to XM Radio.
I hope that wasn't a mistake!

Strikers
12-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks for finally finishing a mock draft. I'm suprised that you think Toronto FC, will
take Obrien White at 13.

seankeay
12-02-2008, 12:57 PM
With white out half the 2009 season already with a torn ACL, alot of teams could be afraid knee injuries are very serious and will scare alot of teams away.

rocker
12-02-2008, 01:07 PM
i think he'll drop even further.
guys who don't attend the pre-draft combine can drop a long way.

seankeay
12-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Agreed 100%, but i figure when your talking about a TFC Draft pick @ 13... its a crap shoot anyways we have waived our past 2 picks at that spot. So it wouldnt hurt going after a former NCAA Player of the year who is "canadian"

Strikers
12-02-2008, 01:18 PM
To be honest I think someone will pick him in the supplemental draft instead.

Maybe TFC or maybe another team.

Nuvinho
12-02-2008, 01:25 PM
I think Mo will try to get him in round 2, dont know if we have a pick there, but he may try to find a way to acquire it.

rocker
12-02-2008, 01:26 PM
what do you mean by "waived our past 2 picks at that spot"?

JJ was chosen at 9 last year, Phelan at 10 (who was traded for a INT spot), and then Bryan Edwards (useful player) was taken at 28 of round 2.
Boyens was waived the year before, but at least the guy gave us a year's contribution.

drafting White at 13 means you can't trade him for anything even remotely valuable and he won't contribute at all in his first season. So essentially he has zero value except as a very distant future prospect (but not an American, so he doesn't fit nicely into the US team's rosters). Missing the combine is also a huge risk from what i've seen before. Other guys impress and the missing ones are ignored.

So looking at it strategically I don't think there's any concern about teams taking him in the first round or second round. Somebody might take a flier on him later. But I don't think it's really a loss to TFC at all if somebody else took a chance on him before TFC could waste a 3rd rounder or something on the guy. We are looking wayyyy ahead on him contributing anything to this league. He'll be 25 years old before he even has a shot at being a starter in MLS.

If you can a Bryan Edwards @ pick 28 (second round) then there must be some reasonably useful player at 13.. Or better yet, trade 2 of the picks for a competent defender.

seankeay
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I completly goofed on the Phalen one, but Phalen and Boyens have both been a dissapointment in the draft department. Getting half a year or a full years service from a 1st round pick isnt acceptable.

James has been disapointing too, but everyone would of picked him @ the 9 spot.

Still dont think you can get White in the 2nd round. But who knows its a long ways away but the guy is still a stud and you cant play mindgames in this draft because there are so many guys who make rediculous picks completly off the board. We are still 1 month away from really knowing whos going where.

Plus, once the Gen Adidas kids jump into the picture the whole 1st round will be turned upside down.

mighty_torontofc_2008
12-15-2008, 08:01 PM
any tv coverage of the MLS draft this year? the score covered year one, year two was not covered. And with TFC with 3 first round selections lets hope one network that shows TFC games step up and cover this...Are you listening, CBC, Sportsnet, thescore?

Nuvinho
12-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Here's the team-by-team breakdown for the MLS draft on Jan. 15. Things are sure to change between now and then.....
FIRST-ROUND PICKS: Toronto 3, New England 2, Dallas 2, DCU 2, NY 1, LA 1, Chivas 1, KC 1, RSL 1, Seattle 1, Houston 0, Chicago 0, Columbus 0, Colorado 0, San Jose 0.
SECOND: DCU 2, Dallas 2, KC 2, NE 2, NY 1, Chicago 1, Columbus 1, Colorado 1, San Jose 1, Chivas 1, Seattle 1, Houston 0, Toronto 0, RSL 0, LA 0.
THIRD: Colorado 2, New England 2, Toronto 2, Seattle 1, Houston 1, KC 1, San Jose 1, Columbus 1, Chicago 1, LA 1, NY 1, DC 1.
FOURTH: Colorado 4*, Chicago 2, LA 2, RSL 2, KC 1*, Columbus 1, NE 1, Seattle 1, Houston 1, Toronto 0, Chivas 0, San Jose 0, Dallas 0, NY 0, DC 0.
*Colorado is to receive the lower of KC's two picks in this round (either KC's pick from Dallas or their natural pick). TBD 48 hours before the draft.

invictusTFC
12-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I like the idea of trading one of the picks for an experienced defender.

What I was thinking:

1. With San Jose's pick - if O'Brian White is there, take him
2. With TFC's pick - trade that for an experience defender and allocation money
3. With Chicago's pick - trade for future picks and allocation money

First round draft picks in this league are rarely sure things. An experienced defender doesn't come around every day, and just like a proven striker every team and their dog is looking for one. Therefore if we do trade a first round pick for an experienced defender, expect the allocation money and maybe another player to go the other way. Don't overstate the value of a 1st rounder in the MLS.

Dub Narcotic
01-11-2009, 09:56 AM
After reading Sean's combine report, I wonder if we don't want to stay pat and just take Omar Gonzales. Trade our other two picks for Serioux if we can, which will give us Serioux/Gonzales/Marshall/Velez/Harmse at the back. I could live with that.

Nuvinho
01-11-2009, 10:00 AM
After reading Sean's combine report, I wonder if we don't want to stay pat and just take Omar Gonzales. Trade our other two picks for Serioux if we can, which will give us Serioux/Gonzales/Marshall/Velez/Harmse at the back. I could live with that.

I agree. I remember Mo saying he wants 1 experienced defender, and one younger one. I think with the right teacher, and the fact that Gonzalez doesn't need to contribute right away, he could be good.....keyword......could be.

Also, with the right partner, Marshall can be decent. The reason why he was so visible last year, was because of his partner on defense.

arsenal
01-11-2009, 12:53 PM

Dallas wants our pick so that they can take Gonzalez. If anything they want to deal away draft picks as they don't have room for them (they have a ton of young players). I can't see them giving up Serioux unless they are moving up for Gonzalez (or maybe Zakuani).

jloome
01-11-2009, 02:39 PM
And keep in mind how subjective this is: Ives Galarcep says Gonzalez was slower than molasses and will get torched incessantly at MLS level.

cementhead
01-11-2009, 02:42 PM
I found this MLS SuperDraftJan. 15, 2 p.m. ET on ESPN2, ESPN360!I will be watching this.
any tv coverage of the MLS draft this year? the score covered year one, year two was not covered. And with TFC with 3 first round selections lets hope one network that shows TFC games step up and cover this...Are you listening, CBC, Sportsnet, thescore?

jloome
01-11-2009, 02:58 PM
I think the surprise might be if seattle trades the first pick to someone who wants Stefan Frei, whom they don't need. LA would probably start him straight out of school, and my hunch on the reviews so far is that, in the long run, he stands the best chance of gaining any team a massive financial return.

If he is better than Guzan was at this point, he could eventually be a $4-million-to-$5 million player in a couple of years; comparatively, the odds seem lower that Zakuani, a player who already did a tour in the Arsenal youth academy and is a known quantity, would have ended up playing U.S. college soccer if his prospects were as significant.