PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Wednesday , Oct.22

denime
10-22-2008, 06:09 AM
Toronto FC hope to end on winning note
By Ryan Johnston
SPORTSNET.CA

Toronto FC coach John Carver likes to pretend he doesn't care what people think. But in reality he does; and that is why the first-year coach will field his best side in Saturday's season finale versus San Jose.

"We had a meeting (Tuesday) morning because of the way the results went on Saturday night," Carver said. "I have said to the guys 'I want to finish off on a high' because the last thing you do in a season leaves thoughts in peoples' minds."

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/10/21/johnston_torontofc_finale/)

Hedging Robinson TFC's top priority
By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

Toronto FC coach John Carver's off-season priority is to get the best 11-man unit available on the pitch for the 2009 Major League Soccer season at BMO Field.
And yesterday he said the first step in that direction is to attempt to convince Welsh international Carl Robinson to stay on this side of the Atlantic Ocean.
Robinson, who is universally accepted as the top defensive midfielder in the league, has been getting calls from English clubs to bring his talents back home.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/10/22/7160441-sun.html)

Reds will field strongest team
Carver not taking final game lightly

Toronto FC coach John Carver will name his strongest team for Saturday's final game of the season at San Jose Earthquakes (kick off 10:00 p.m. live on CBC Bold). The Reds are out of playoff contention after results went against them last weekend, but Carver hopes to extend the team's unbeaten run to five games.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081021&content_id=197771&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Draw lifts Impact into quarter-final
Team clinches top-two finish but winter of discontent looms

Impact 1 CD Olimpia 1
The Canadian Press
MONTREAL–The Montreal Impact are through to the quarter-final of the CONCACAF Champions League, and now the questions begin.
Such as, where will the games be played in winter and which players will still be around to play them?
The Impact played 27-time Honduran league champion CD Olimpia to a 1-1 draw last night in 5C temperatures at Saputo Stadium.

read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/521749)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Oldtimer
10-22-2008, 07:49 AM
You have to congratulate the Impact -- they got it done. Their team is as boring as can be, but their defense can grind out a draw when it's needed.

TFC Cityboy
10-22-2008, 08:00 AM
that could have been us freezing our arses off at BMO last night....brrr.....

Roogsy
10-22-2008, 08:03 AM
^Gladly...LOL!

Hmmm....that sunshine girl is nice..."but'r face"

Redcoe15
10-22-2008, 08:17 AM
^Gladly...LOL!

My thoughts exact!

Shaughno
10-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Robinson, who is universally accepted as the top defensive midfielder in the league, has been getting calls from English clubs to bring his talents back home.

Good to see Robbo's talents being appreciated outside of the TFC circles.

koryo
10-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Good to see Robbo's talents being appreciated outside of the TFC circles.

I don't want to see him go but, if he does, I'll only wish him well.

flatpicker
10-22-2008, 08:59 AM
^Gladly...LOL!

she's not bad... she just needs someone to give her some pointers on how to take care of eyebrows.

and get Robbo's name on a contract Carver!!!

David_Oliveira
10-22-2008, 10:31 AM
look at pic 13 of her. Pancake nipples lolq

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-22-2008, 10:45 AM
If robbo decides to go back to england and play...he'll be offerd atleaste double his earnings in MLS if not more...He is already making about the MAX in toronto before DP of course!~

In saying that...how can we sign this guy....he'd be an idiot if he didnt take a better offer.....DP is out of the question...so that leaves it to this.....remain at TFC making less money...alot less...or take a better offer! I think ROBBO is out of here...unless MLS..up the salary cap!! (Keep Dreaming)

If we they dont up the cap soon....how can we keep tallent in this league???

Marco2K
10-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Dude TFC is handcuffed by the MLS.

robinson has been soild the past 2 years. A real leader.

As for Montreal all i can say is CRAZY.

Its amazing how good they are. But we all know that TFC beat them in MONTREAL and tied them at home. It was our ablilty to suck against the white caps. It would have been real nice to have the HONDURAN team playing at BMO last night!

TFC has to make big changes. I dont know what they are.

MO BETTER KNOW cause its his job. If it was my job i would get it done.

I have a feeling something big is going to happean this offseason.

bee dubya
10-22-2008, 07:21 PM
I like Robbo but I would think that he isn't universally thought of as the best def mid in the MLS. Shalrie Joseph has quite a few fans around the league as well.

Also from the comments Robbo made I had to wonder if his family are happy about being in Canada and want to return to the UK. Sounds like he's happy enough but if the wife and kids aren't happy, that might be the key to him going back...

CretanBull
10-22-2008, 07:58 PM
^ I want him to stay, but I can relate to his personal situation...he's got a young family and his kids are growing up without their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc.

Roogsy
10-22-2008, 08:15 PM
^ That kind of flexibility is exactly why I don't want kids. I know it's selfish, but that's why we've made the decision not to have kids. When you have kids, you have to do so knowing that it's these kind of sacrifices you have to make.