PDA

View Full Version : What would you think about a TFC Indoor team

Red CB Toronto
10-22-2008, 02:44 AM
The game of indoor pro soccer in North America is currently in transition, with MISL folding and the teams splitting into two leagues with different structures, the National Indoor Soccer League and the Extreme Soccer League, What would you think about TFC fielding an indoor team? Would you support it, would it fill your TFC fix during the off-season. I know indoor soccer has had a less than stellar past in our city. The reason I am asking is because the owner of New Jersey in the XSL also owns the New Jersey and talked about other NHL owners eventually becoming part of the league.

From the Sports Business Journal

The indoor soccer divorce is final.

Nearly four months after owners pulled the plug on the Major Indoor Soccer League, the seven remaining teams have formed two indoor leagues. The National Indoor Soccer League announced its formation last week with three former MISL teams, and the Xtreme Soccer League will announce its formation with four ex-MISL teams Tuesday.

The split was the result of differences in how a future indoor league should be structured. The NISL group favored a franchise structure, while the XSL faction favored a single-entity organization.

The NISL will use a traditional franchise structure, with no league office or commissioner. The front office of its five respective teams will administer the league business, and referees will be negotiated through the U.S. Soccer Federation. As for national sponsorship, owners said that wasn’t relevant with just five teams.

Indoor soccer league split
Xtreme Soccer League
Chicago Storm
Detroit Ignition
Milwaukee Wave
New Jersey Ironmen

National Indoor Soccer League
Baltimore Blast
La Raza de Monterrey (Mexico)
Orlando Sharks
Philadelphia KiXX
Rockford (Ill.) Rampage

“Once other cities come into the league, we’ll decide how to handle that,” said Philadelphia KiXX owner Jeff Rotwitt. “It may be we have some of our most experienced and savvy general managers deal with it.”

The XSL will have a central office in Chicago with four employees and a commissioner, who is expected to be named this week. The league office will perform all business functions for the teams, including marketing, accounting, team travel and player contracts. The teams will manage game operations and local ticket and sponsorship sales.

The league office will be underwritten by team operators, who all invested equity to support the league for five years, said Chicago Storm COO Brian Loftin.

While dueling leagues historically face challenges (see the Champ Car-Indy Racing League split), owners of both indoor leagues are optimistic. Both expect to announce the addition of new teams before the 2009-10 season.

Rotwitt said that representatives from Charlotte, Cincinnati and Houston attended the NISL’s press conference last week. Jeff Vanderbeek, owner of the New Jersey Devils and the XSL’s New Jersey Ironmen, said the XSL is in talks with owners and arenas and that some NHL owners “eventually will be in the cards.”

nascarguy
10-22-2008, 03:34 AM
cool idea

Red CB Toronto
10-22-2008, 04:22 AM
I know it is not soccer in its true form but it would be a good form of entertainment, the Impact also played in the NPSL for a few seasons.

C.Ronaldo
10-22-2008, 08:33 AM
more soccer = more better

I love indoor soccer with the boards, but perhaps they should look into a futsal type ball.

Or maybe bring in futsal, as its growing so well in other continents.

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
10-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Its a long way to April , anything would be good .. But I think most guys like to go home and train and catch up on hometown stuff :)

Damien
10-22-2008, 08:59 AM
I'd go to some games... if it beat going to see the marlies ;)

Detroit_TFC
10-22-2008, 09:54 AM
I watched a few MISL games on FSC last year. Indoor soccer as done by MISL (now NISL/XSL) = a gooey mixture of cheese and cornball.

Canadian Blue
10-22-2008, 10:13 AM
ridiculous........you guys bithch about the turf yet you want our players to play on turf all year round?

Hitcho
10-22-2008, 10:34 AM
why don't we start a TFC badminton club as well?

not in favour.

10-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Oooops I forgot about the turf issue .. Thats true , bad idea

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-22-2008, 10:49 AM
The game of indoor pro soccer in North America is currently in transition, with MISL folding and the teams splitting into two leagues with different structures, the National Indoor Soccer League and the Extreme Soccer League, What would you think about TFC fielding an indoor team? Would you support it, would it fill your TFC fix during the off-season. I know indoor soccer has had a less than stellar past in our city. The reason I am asking is because the owner of New Jersey in the XSL also owns the New Jersey and talked about other NHL owners eventually becoming part of the league.

From the Sports Business Journal

The indoor soccer divorce is final.

Nearly four months after owners pulled the plug on the Major Indoor Soccer League, the seven remaining teams have formed two indoor leagues. The National Indoor Soccer League announced its formation last week with three former MISL teams, and the Xtreme Soccer League will announce its formation with four ex-MISL teams Tuesday.

The split was the result of differences in how a future indoor league should be structured. The NISL group favored a franchise structure, while the XSL faction favored a single-entity organization.

The NISL will use a traditional franchise structure, with no league office or commissioner. The front office of its five respective teams will administer the league business, and referees will be negotiated through the U.S. Soccer Federation. As for national sponsorship, owners said that wasn’t relevant with just five teams.

Indoor soccer league split
Xtreme Soccer League
Chicago Storm
Detroit Ignition
Milwaukee Wave
New Jersey Ironmen

National Indoor Soccer League
Baltimore Blast
La Raza de Monterrey (Mexico)
Orlando Sharks
Philadelphia KiXX
Rockford (Ill.) Rampage

“Once other cities come into the league, we’ll decide how to handle that,” said Philadelphia KiXX owner Jeff Rotwitt. “It may be we have some of our most experienced and savvy general managers deal with it.”

The XSL will have a central office in Chicago with four employees and a commissioner, who is expected to be named this week. The league office will perform all business functions for the teams, including marketing, accounting, team travel and player contracts. The teams will manage game operations and local ticket and sponsorship sales.

The league office will be underwritten by team operators, who all invested equity to support the league for five years, said Chicago Storm COO Brian Loftin.

While dueling leagues historically face challenges (see the Champ Car-Indy Racing League split), owners of both indoor leagues are optimistic. Both expect to announce the addition of new teams before the 2009-10 season.

Rotwitt said that representatives from Charlotte, Cincinnati and Houston attended the NISL’s press conference last week. Jeff Vanderbeek, owner of the New Jersey Devils and the XSL’s New Jersey Ironmen, said the XSL is in talks with owners and arenas and that some NHL owners “eventually will be in the cards.”

i brought up the same question with a poll involved and 98% were against it, i think you will find the same reaction.

Troll
10-22-2008, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't watch it. Part of the appeal is the build up leading up to the opener. Too much football all year round would take some of the lustre away. Also allows me to focus on Chelsea and Sporting.

AL-MO
10-22-2008, 12:35 PM
NO!

Indoor Soccer is a joke. It is an activity that is for men's and women's recreational players in the winter.

It is not, nor should it be treated as a professional sport.

Barbarez
10-22-2008, 12:38 PM
no thank you...mls quality soccer is enough for me...

AL-MO
10-22-2008, 12:40 PM
no thank you...mls quality soccer is enough for me...

yeah Barb, can you imagine a player banking the ball off the boards to another player wide open and then misses the net entirely! But wait, the ball doesn't go out of bounds, it just bounces back into play and everything continues! Soccer at its finest!!! :p

Oldtimer
10-22-2008, 12:41 PM
mlsintoronto said last year (when the same question was raised) that it's a no-go.

10-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Back in the day there was some classic 17 to 14 games at Maple leaf gardens with the Blizzard kicking butt..

Carts
10-22-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm strongly against it...

Carts...

Smuttynose
10-22-2008, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't watch it. Part of the appeal is the build up leading up to the opener. Too much football all year round would take some of the lustre away. Also allows me to focus on Chelsea and Sporting.

i completely agree... well, minus the whole Chelse thing... :D

Mrs. Workie
10-22-2008, 07:20 PM
I watched a few MISL games on FSC last year. Indoor soccer as done by MISL (now NISL/XSL) = a gooey mixture of cheese and cornball.

Ugh- it's like Lacrosse, Basketball and Soccer inbred and had a kid- it's terrible.....

Detroit_TFC
10-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Ugh- it's like Lacrosse, Basketball and Soccer inbred and had a kid- it's terrible.....

What's worse is that the Detroit franchise charged $20 for the cheapest ticket plus more for parking. Attendance was pretty good from what I understand but it seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

Azerban
10-22-2008, 09:46 PM
i hate the very idea of its existence because i take the game of 22 hirelings kicking a ball around a rectangular field entirely too seriously

i mean, how does

yeah Barb, can you imagine a player banking the ball off the boards to another player wide open and then misses the net entirely! But wait, the ball doesn't go out of bounds, it just bounces back into play and everything continues!

not sound at least a little bit fun to watch

i mean it's not association football but jeez i'd go for 10 bucks

Azerban
10-22-2008, 09:50 PM
why don't we start a TFC badminton club as well?

yeah i know i mean can you imagine if barcelona had a figure skating team or bayern had a chess team

how fucking amateur would they seem

Toronto_Bhoy
10-22-2008, 10:05 PM
For those of you who are new…football is an outdoor game that should be played on natural grass in the sun, rain and sleet…

I'm not that familiar with the "inside" version…frankly it sounds rather counter to the "beautiful game" but knock yourselves out.

Azerban
10-22-2008, 10:09 PM
For those of you who are new…football is an outdoor game that should be played on natural grass

hmmm

NateDoGG
10-22-2008, 10:20 PM
kind of off topic but, i have always wanted to know why the mls doesnt have a lower girls league, i thought we were gonna see a toronto fc ladies team almost right away

Bluenose13
10-22-2008, 10:27 PM
For those of you who are new…football is an outdoor game that should be played on natural grass in the sun, rain and sleet…

I'm not that familiar with the "inside" version…frankly it sounds rather counter to the "beautiful game" but knock yourselves out.All of the big teams in the SPL & EPL have teams in the Masters indoor league in Scotland & England.

It has become very popular back home & is growing all the time.

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,5~1322730,00.html

RedsYNWA
10-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Beat It

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-22-2008, 11:09 PM
kind of off topic but, i have always wanted to know why the mls doesnt have a lower girls league, i thought we were gonna see a toronto fc ladies team almost right away

No thanks....the Lynx have a ladies league team...let them have it...lets stick to real football.

Cashcleaner
10-22-2008, 11:09 PM
I kinda like watching indoor soccer/futsal, though I don't think Toronto FC would see any benefit in putting a squad together for it. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not a pro sport, because plenty of soccer players partake in it during their regular off-season to stay fit and work on skills.

I think in the case of Toronto, it's unneccesary and probably wouldn't generate enough interest to make it lucrative.

Azerban
10-22-2008, 11:52 PM
I kinda like watching indoor soccer/futsal, though I don't think Toronto FC would see any benefit in putting a squad together for it.

if they play over the winter, they can put the kids in and get them some off season game experience and also maybe put a couple more dollars in their pocket so they can live like real people

Canadian Blue
10-23-2008, 07:23 AM
yeah Barb, can you imagine a player banking the ball off the boards to another player wide open and then misses the net entirely! But wait, the ball doesn't go out of bounds, it just bounces back into play and everything continues! Soccer at its finest!!! :p

As said before I am against an indoor team. But to clarify AL-MO's statement, not all indoor is played with hockey type boards. The indoor games of soccer or futsol are played on smaller fields thus helping the development of footwork and passing......indoor can be a great learning tool

Shaughno
10-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Indoor can be fun, indoor with boards is terrible to watch but interesting to play.

Do I want the actual team to be playing a proper indoor season? Nope. Would I support an actual seperate team under the same name? Sure, why not.

I actually would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a proper Futsal team and man oh man would it increase the talent level around here. All the big names in the world scene have either grown up playing futsal, or are bigtime promoting the game now. People like Robinho, C.Ronaldo, Kaka, Ronaldinho, etc all come from somewhat of a futsal background and look at their control and creativity. Obviously not 100% linked to playing Futsal, but some of it is for sure.

Want to blow your mind? Check out Falcao from Brazil's National Futsal team. Unbelievable.

AL-MO
10-23-2008, 11:56 AM
As said before I am against an indoor team. But to clarify AL-MO's statement, not all indoor is played with hockey type boards. The indoor games of soccer or futsol are played on smaller fields thus helping the development of footwork and passing......indoor can be a great learning tool

To clarify my comment CB, I was talking about specifically about the 'professional' game that exists in the states.

But futsal is great to develop the skill of younger players.

Toronto_Bhoy
10-23-2008, 12:39 PM
All of the big teams in the SPL & EPL have teams in the Masters indoor league in Scotland & England.

It has become very popular back home & is growing all the time.

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,5~1322730,00.html

Yea…for guys who no longer play outdoors…Masters is a nice name for RETIRED!!!

In Canada, I believe their called Oldtimer's games…:)

MisterMacphisto
10-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Dichio once said, and it shall be written, you have to pull yourself away from soccer once in awhile to fully appreciate it.

I hate the off-season, but it also stokes the fires of desire for the team as well. Give you some time to reflect, plan TIFO's etc...

A "Pro" TFC team indoor team would be stupid in my opinion.

Velvet Elvis
10-23-2008, 12:59 PM
The Toronto Shooting Stars didn't fare too well if I remember correctly (NPSL).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Shooting_Stars

Actually, I used to watch the Edmonton Drillers play NPSL for a few years.

Torcida
10-23-2008, 03:56 PM
They do this in Croatia, here's what happens:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sSQBd74etxI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sSQBd74etxI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSQBd74etxI)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/22xmF7AtmC4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/22xmF7AtmC4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Smuttynose
10-24-2008, 01:28 AM
No thanks....the Lynx have a ladies league team...let them have it...lets stick to real football.

right... ladies footy isn't real football... that's just for big strong boys!
i forgot ladies are supposed to be in the kitchen, barefoot and pregant :rolleyes:

Mrs. Workie
10-24-2008, 06:34 AM
right... ladies footy isn't real football... that's just for big strong boys!
i forgot ladies are supposed to be in the kitchen, barefoot and pregant :rolleyes:

Kim, have you come out of the kitchen...again? What did I tell you about that?

Know your role bitch! ;)

tim90
10-24-2008, 12:19 PM
i will like to see toronto fc indoor team

Boris
10-24-2008, 12:22 PM
i will like to see toronto fc indoor team

.......is hell frozen...a somewhat normal post....??? wtf?!

also kim...i can say so much but that would just prove why im single.....and i dont want you going all :hulk: on me

AL-MO
10-24-2008, 12:26 PM
They do this in Croatia, here's what happens:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sSQBd74etxI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sSQBd74etxI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSQBd74etxI)

Wow didn't see that one coming! :lol:

So basically its just like Hockey. RIDICULOUS!

VPjr
10-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Futsal is a variant of soccer that I can watch all day long. It is exciting and the skill level required to play it well is mind blowing. You can't hide in Futsal. Every player on the court must be prepared to be involved 100% every second they are in the game.

Indoor soccer with boards can be fun to play but I find it painful to watch. At the pro level, the scoring rules are ridiculous (2 point and 3 point goals) and the fact that the boards can be actively used to bounce the ball off them takes so much skill out of the sport.

I watched some MISL last year to try to get through the long off-season. It all looked so mickey mouse. even the field looked bad at most arenas (not flat, worn out in spots, just plain bad).

I would pay big money to watch a Futsal tournament at ACC over the winter. that would be fun. MLSE would make a killing if they brought in 4 good national teams to play 3 round robin games each plus a Final match. Imagine Brazil, Spain, Italy and Portugal coming to town for that tournament. guaranteed money maker and the skill on display would make most of us drool.

BTW...anyone who hasn't watched much Futsal might want to watch the replay of Spain v Brazil from the recently concluded Futsal WC. CBC is showing it Saturday afternoon. I watched the Spain v Italy semi final last week while I was in Asia and it was incredibly exciting.