PDA

View Full Version : The FIFA Calendar will cause havoc for TFC and the MLS in 2009

Red CB Toronto
10-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I know we all in an ideal world would love for the MLS to not play on official FIFA dates, we will never forget how many times members of the Reds were elsewhere, but in 2009 this issue will raise its ugly head big time.

There four periods in season for official competition matches, which I assume are for world cup qualifying: March 28th to April 1, June 6th to 10th, September 5th to 9th and October 10th through 14th, actually there is a fifth that could have an affect on playoffs, November 14th -18th.

The Gold Cup is being played next year from July 3rd through the 26th, also there is the U-20 World Cup, which is being played in the fall this time September 25th through October 16th. Also August 12th is an official friendly date.

TFC had a total of eight players split between the Canadian entries in the Gold Cup and U-20 World Cup. Should be an interesting year for TFC and the MLS in 2009.

deschamp86
10-21-2008, 05:03 PM
The U20's shouldn't affect us too badly. Unless Gala, Melo and Gaudet have made the roster by then, but its unlikely. I am looking forward to seeing our boys in action during the tournament. This will be the first one in which TFC has actually made a contribution to the development of some players playing.

T_Mizz
10-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah if I'm not mistaken Attakora-Gyan is the captain of the u-20s so yeah that'll affect us huge next year. uhm I don't think anyone is so dilusional to the point that they believe Canada will be in the qualifying next year, and the gold cup is over the summer isn't it? Which means that european players should have no problems being able to play for Canda. Apparently Robbo's future is in question but he'll be gone i think, and Wynne will be gone, most likely, Ibbe will be with his U-20s, probably, Jarrod Smith will be with New Zealand, methinks, but most importantly we will be able to form a squad that will know what the hell it's doing on the field this year. Sutton will be here. Brennan, for sure, Marshall, probably, Velez, for sure, only wynne will be gone from the back line. Ricketts will be here, Jo. Smith will probably be here, Rosenlund will be here. So we miss one midfielder too. Up top Barrett will be here unless he continues playing so well, but realistically he'll be here, Dichio might not be with us anymore, so there we have one player missing too. So in the grand scheme of things we'll be missing one player from each level.

TFCREDNWHITE
10-21-2008, 05:19 PM
There four periods in season for official competition matches, which I assume are for world cup qualifying: March 28th to April 1, June 6th to 10th, September 5th to 9th and October 10th through 14th, actually there is a fifth that could have an affect on playoffs, November 14th -18th.

The Gold Cup is being played next year from July 3rd through the 26th, also there is the U-20 World Cup, which is being played in the fall this time September 25th through October 16th. Also August 12th is an official friendly date.

I posted FiFa schedules earlier in the year, and yes i TOTALLY agree with you.

I sent an email to Garber(or MLS) and requested that they play 2 games a week for only 8 weeks to compensate for all of the international dates. Then Ivan G from MLS states that MLS attendance is way too low during midweek games...

I kinda stick by the so sad, to bad if attendance is too low...

What are your thoughts???

james
10-21-2008, 09:45 PM

I sent an email to Garber(or MLS) and requested that they play 2 games a week for only 8 weeks to compensate for all of the international dates. Then Ivan G from MLS states that MLS attendance is way too low during midweek games...

low attendence is a big $$$ loss for MLS. They wont turn down cash so that teams have a full squad!

ensco
10-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Isn't Ibrahim a likely USA U 20?

Red CB Toronto
10-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Isn't Ibrahim a likely USA U 20?

Ibrahim I would think would be pretty much a lock for the U-20 US squad, does anyone know the actually age cutoff date for the U-20 World Cup, can you be on the team at the age of 20, etc.?

MartinUtd
10-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Yeah if I'm not mistaken Attakora-Gyan is the captain of the u-20s so yeah that'll affect us huge next year. uhm I don't think anyone is so dilusional to the point that they believe Canada will be in the qualifying next year, and the gold cup is over the summer isn't it? Which means that european players should have no problems being able to play for Canda. Apparently Robbo's future is in question but he'll be gone i think, and Wynne will be gone, most likely, Ibbe will be with his U-20s, probably, Jarrod Smith will be with New Zealand, methinks, but most importantly we will be able to form a squad that will know what the hell it's doing on the field this year. Sutton will be here. Brennan, for sure, Marshall, probably, Velez, for sure, only wynne will be gone from the back line. Ricketts will be here, Jo. Smith will probably be here, Rosenlund will be here. So we miss one midfielder too. Up top Barrett will be here unless he continues playing so well, but realistically he'll be here, Dichio might not be with us anymore, so there we have one player missing too. So in the grand scheme of things we'll be missing one player from each level.

Smith won't be affected as New Zealand are in the clear until Novemeber when they play AFC's 3rd place team and Velez won't be on the team next year (month?). Marshall might be called up if Jamaica edge past Honduras which means we get either him or Guevara... I'll take Guevara, but either way one of them is going.

nascarguy
10-22-2008, 04:03 AM
yeah it is going to suck next year

Red CB Toronto
10-22-2008, 04:20 AM
You don't think Velez will be on the PR team

Fort York Redcoat
10-22-2008, 09:33 AM

8 midweek games? Fine with me. They need to grow some stones to grow this game.

In the history of our club there was 7 midweek games including the 2 useless friendlies in the first year and 7 this year with 2 useless friendlies and 2 for Canada Cup.

That would bounce it up to 10 for Canada Cup and I didn't count the All star games in this.

But the season should be longer and in the cold. I'm sure MLS is worried about the marketability of cold. At this point we are the minority in the league that doesn't need to worry about marketablility.

MartinUtd
10-22-2008, 10:30 AM
You don't think Velez will be on the PR team

I think Velez will be back in USL next year.

Canary Canuck
10-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Smith won't be affected as New Zealand are in the clear until Novemeber when they play AFC's 3rd place team

New Zealand were somehow able to outlast the greatly talented and monstrous opposition in the Oceania region to qualify for the Confederations Cup in June. So we'll likely lose Smith for a few weeks while they're busy getting their asses handed to them by Italy and Spain down in South Africa.

flatpicker
10-22-2008, 10:40 AM
I would think TFC management take this stuff into consideration when putting their roster together.
Hopefully the new players that are brought in can be of good caliber, yet not playing for any national teams!

joel
10-22-2008, 10:48 AM
I think they should allow specific teams with X starters or players missing due to international duty to officially request a reschedule of a game. At least it does not necessarily effect the whole league. I can understand why the league doesn't want to take a whole week off, but I think they need a formal process to reschedule game s when necessary.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-22-2008, 11:06 AM
has there been an offical location regarding the GOLD CUP??? rumors had it being awarded to CANADA?

and new updates on this??

Frick
10-22-2008, 11:19 AM
has there been an offical location regarding the GOLD CUP??? rumors had it being awarded to CANADA?

and new updates on this??

According to this http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/goldcup/2009/results.aspx

The Gold Cup will be in Jamaica.

EDIT: Nevermind, that's just the Caribbean Zone Qualification

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-22-2008, 11:23 AM
According to this http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/goldcup/2009/results.aspx

The Gold Cup will be in Jamaica.

EDIT: Nevermind, that's just the Caribbean Zone Qualification

that seems to be the qualification zone....for Caribbean....not the acual finals slated for 2009

guess you updated already! :)

Ossington Mental Youth
10-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Dont even think JaSmith will be around next year to be honest

Canary Canuck
10-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Dont even think JaSmith will be around next year to be honest

I won't shed a tear

Ossington Mental Youth
10-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I won't shed a tear

Nothing personal about JaSmith but few of us will, hes good and puts in an effort but doesnt get results like we need em

TFCREDNWHITE
10-22-2008, 02:14 PM
low attendence is a big $$$ loss for MLS. They wont turn down cash so that teams have a full squad!

What about a loss of money from people going to a game and finding out that the Star, or quality guys that they were expecting to be on the pitch is not there??

Then those people that took a chance on going to watch an MLS game find out that the level of play in the game they went to watch was shit!

So the long term effect becomes, that people speak bad about the MLS and never return to the league...

Double up on the games for 8 weeks or so, and at least you make a little less money on the midweek game, but everyone is happy...

Just my solution...:)