PDA

View Full Version : Ameobi?

jloome
05-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Is shola ameobi worth a DP slot? I've seen him play a few times and was impressed, and when he was healthy at Newcastle, he had a couple of stretches where he scored pretty regularly.

But he's had hip problems, same as Huckerby, and missed a lot of time. He also had a pretty torrid time at Stoke on loan, failing to score and spending a lot of time watching.

Certainly, as a pure finisher he'd be up there with MLS' best. But what about the health issues?

jloome
05-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Whoops, two threads on the same topic posted at the time. can we merge, mods?

Ossington Mental Youth
05-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Id say yes, id put him above Huckerby simply because of his youth and the fact that hes a natural striker (if im not mistaken).

jloome
05-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Huckerby actually started off as a natural striker as well, they moved him to the wing later on. But the point on age is a good one; also might be why he wouldn't come over.

TorontoBlades
05-21-2008, 10:31 AM
so is this DP worthy?

jloome
05-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Tough to say; he had two stretches for newcastle where he was scoring 1-in-2 and at MLS level, he'd bury most of the chances he gets. On that basis, sure.

But he's spent half his career in doctors' offices, near as I can tell. In that respect, he's kind of like Michael Chopra, a very promising young newcastle striker who's never really made the grade. Of course, most of the brit pundits said the same thing about Angel, and he's been successful here.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Huckerby actually started off as a natural striker as well, they moved him to the wing later on. But the point on age is a good one; also might be why he wouldn't come over.

I honestly dont think Ameobi will be coming over simply because of his age. However i do think if he did he'd be quite successful. I do realize that Huckerby was a striker but having played out of that position for so long it may affect his playing. Id personally rather just have a striker that hasnt strayed from that position (and has less injuries).

Jack
05-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Ameobi's only 26. He would be a phenomenal signing if Carver can convince him to come here and be the man.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I would welcome the addition! I like his style...

Although, i'm just not convinced it's worth the DP slot. So with that being said, if we can sign him without using the DP slot, then i say bring him on!!!

jloome
05-21-2008, 11:12 AM
I would welcome the addition! I like his style...

Although, i'm just not convinced it's worth the DP slot. So with that being said, if we can sign him without using the DP slot, then i say bring him on!!!

TFCRW, think of it as a half-season gamble; the DP slot doesn't necessarily tie us to the player long-term, just means we can't use it again while he's under contract. But Dallas showed with Denilson last year that you can cut a DP loose if necessary.

We need a poacher/gamebreaker type; someone with major wheels, who can beat a man, but also has strength and can finish. We need a cut-rate Torres type. That might be ameobi, even with the injury history, although his strike rate doesn't suggest it.

Pauleta has been suggested, but he had a subpar year with PSG at age 35 (eight goals, his lowest output in years) and is too small, I think, to play in a 4-5-1. And given how dominant our defense has been since we switched to two holding mids, I can't see carver messing with it.

TFC Cityboy
05-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Dave from Newcastle would become Dave from Toronto - on the Setanta Special One spoofs:)

joelakeshore
05-21-2008, 12:20 PM
You really can't judge how great Ameobi, Pauleta etc. would be in the MLS based on their strike rate in Europe. Angel had something like 14 goals in his last three seasons with Villa- not stunning. I'd suggest that the mere fact they're playing in those leagues is evidence enough that they would most likely kill in MLS, as Angel has done.

Corpand
05-21-2008, 12:29 PM
He's above class compared to what we have on the team now, so even as a DP, sign him up. MLSE has the money.

denime
05-21-2008, 12:35 PM
The 26-year-old striker has so far turned down a permanent move to newly-promoted Stoke, despite a £4 million deal being agreed with Newcastle.Is he worth it £4 million?

Read more (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-23486448-details/Newcastle%20misfit%20Ameobi%20could%20carve%20out% 20career%20with%20former%20coach%20in%20MLS/article.do)

jloome
05-21-2008, 01:06 PM
That's a lot more money than I'm willing to bet MLS would sanction. They will pay transfers, but they're not going to pay 4 million pounds for a 1-in-4 striker, no matter where he plays.

SLBuu
05-21-2008, 01:11 PM
if carver can get Robert and Guevara to play well together with there reputations i think he can get the best out of Amoebi with no doubts!!!

jloome
05-21-2008, 01:16 PM
if carver can get Robert and Guevara to play well together with there reputations i think he can get the best out of Amoebi with no doubts!!!

Not in doubt; but look at the odds: he's on at least 20,000 per week, he's rated at $4m plus for transfer and would be going to a turf team despite a history of injuries ( and I won't even get into the recent studies showing the new turf is safe; it's his perception that counts, not reality).

Add all these things up and I don't see this one happening. Oh, and he's only 26 or something, to boot.

SLBuu
05-21-2008, 01:22 PM
i never said we were getting him, im just saying if we did i dont doubt carver will be able to get him up to level.......

im hoping this goes through and i think whinsper will be able to work his magic if he Amoebi does come here. At the same time i dont have my head in the clouds and realize this is far from being a reality.

fingers crossed.

jloome
05-21-2008, 01:40 PM
i never said we were getting him, im just saying if we did i dont doubt carver will be able to get him up to level.......

im hoping this goes through and i think whinsper will be able to work his magic if he Amoebi does come here. At the same time i dont have my head in the clouds and realize this is far from being a reality.

fingers crossed.

I wonder if they're trying to get him on loan? Lots of loan deals include picking up the salary and options to buy.

giambac
05-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Tough to say; he had two stretches for newcastle where he was scoring 1-in-2 and at MLS level, he'd bury most of the chances he gets. On that basis, sure.

But he's spent half his career in doctors' offices, near as I can tell. In that respect, he's kind of like Michael Chopra, a very promising young newcastle striker who's never really made the grade. Of course, most of the brit pundits said the same thing about Angel, and he's been successful here.

Why post a stupid thread on a player you already know the answer to.

The fact taht you would consider a DP slot for a palyer who your saying has spent half his career in the doctor's office shows you have no concept on how to build a team.

what a joke i think you post threads just for the hell of it.

TFC Tifoso
05-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Why post a stupid thread on a player you already know the answer to.

The fact taht you would consider a DP slot for a palyer who your saying has spent half his career in the doctor's office shows you have no concept on how to build a team.

what a joke i think you post threads just for the hell of it.

Hey enough beating around the fucking bush!! Why don't you tell him how you really feel?! Jeez relax, bud.

Jack
05-21-2008, 02:18 PM
giambac, you seem to be in a grumpy, troll-like mood today, but that's nothing unusual. It's a realistic possibility. How about you read the news. He's 26, has a history with Carver and has played in the Premier league. You think he's going to come here for 300k?

Ossington Mental Youth
05-21-2008, 02:23 PM
You think he's going to come here for 300k?

Never.
A) its Canada
b) Its 300k canadian, dudes making 20k or so a week

Jack
05-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Never.
A) its Canada
b) Its 300k canadian, dudes making 20k or so a week

Sorry, I should have added a sarcastic smiley there. I'm well aware he's not going to come here for $300k....

giambac
05-21-2008, 02:50 PM
giambac, you seem to be in a grumpy, troll-like mood today, but that's nothing unusual. It's a realistic possibility. How about you read the news. He's 26, has a history with Carver and has played in the Premier league. You think he's going to come here for 300k?

I don't want a project player or a player with "What if's" surrounding him.

What if he remains healthy
What if he lives up to his potential
What if , what what if.

Get a player who has proven himself and is not a health risk. I know you can't get a superstar because they wouldn't come to the MLS. But at least get a guy who is healthy. Why gamble. A quaity striker will make this team instant contenders. You have 1 DP slot so don't waste it on a what if.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-21-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't want a project player or a player with "What if's" surrounding him.

What if he remains healthy
What if he lives up to his potential
What if , what what if.

Get a player who has proven himself and is not a health risk. I know you can't get a superstar because they wouldn't come to the MLS. But at least get a guy who is healthy. Why gamble. A quaity striker will make this team instant contenders. You have 1 DP slot so don't waste it on a what if.

Im with you on that.
I think to a certain extent his injuries are being blown out of proportion in this thread. Huckerby on the other hand...

Jack
05-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Now that's a valid way to make your point :D
I think he would do well here, but there are always going to be question marks about players coming here to MLS...that's why they come.

Injuries, mentality, durability, age, etc... a lot of the DPs around the league have those questions hanging over them.

Some work out (like Angel or Blanco) some flop (like Denilson).

Ossington Mental Youth
05-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Now that's a valid way to make your point :D
I think he would do well here, but there are always going to be question marks about players coming here to MLS...that's why they come.

Injuries, mentality, durability, age, etc... a lot of the DPs around the league have those questions hanging over them.

Some work out (like Angel or Blanco) some flop (like Denilson).

Got a good point there, i do also think that Winsper (sp?) will make a difference too on most injured players (as does age, thats why im so against Huckerby).

Jack
05-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah I think that strength and conditioning can make a huge difference for injury-prone players. Either that or luck but I believe that with good flexibility and proper bodily alignment a lot of injuries, especially of the strain variety, can be avoided.

king10
05-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Reports out of England on Wednesday indicated that Toronto FC is interested in signing striker Shola Ameobi...

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=238466&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_main

bhoybobby
05-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Toronto keen to buy Newcastle's Ameobi

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Toronto-keen-to-buy-Newcastle39s.4108723.jp
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Toronto-keen-to-buy-Newcastle39s.4108723.jp (javascript: ShowThumb(0);)
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Toronto-keen-to-buy-Newcastle39s.4108723.jp (javascript: ShowThumb(1);)
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Toronto-keen-to-buy-Newcastle39s.4108723.jp (javascript: ShowThumb(2);)
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Toronto-keen-to-buy-Newcastle39s.4108723.jp (javascript: ShowThumb(3);)
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Toronto-keen-to-buy-Newcastle39s.4108723.jp (javascript: ShowThumb(4);)

« Previous (javascript: PreviousBlock();)
« Previous
Next » (javascript: NextBlock();)
Next »

View Gallery (javascript: ViewGallery();)

Published Date: 22 May 2008
By Damian Spellman
FORMER Newcastle United coach John Carver is ready to offer striker Shola Ameobi the chance to make his name in the MLS.
Carver, who worked as Sir Bobby Robson's first-team coach at St James' Park and briefly acted as caretaker following his departure in 2004, is currently making his way in the management game at Toronto FC.

And he is hoping to persuade Ameobi, 26,ADVERTISEMENT

whom he helped to bring through the academy ranks on Tyneside, that his future lies on the other side of the Atlantic.

Carver said: "I need some firepower up front and I am looking for new players, especially a striker.

"I have got my side organised now and have made Toronto difficult to beat, but I need to sign players in that area.

"Shola is a kid I brought through the system at Newcastle United, and a kid I know an awful lot about.

"If I can get Shola into this football club, he would be a huge, huge asset for us."

Ameobi found himself surplus to requirements at Newcastle last season – he started only four games and made just two appearances under new manager Kevin Keegan – and ended the campaign with a loan spell at Stoke City.

However, he appears to have rejected the chance to join the newly promoted Potters on a permanent basis.

If he does move to Toronto, he would find several familiar faces there with former Magpie, Laurent Robert, and Sunderland old boys, Danny Dichio and Carl Robinson, already on the books at BMO Field.

Robert in particular has impressed his new manager after rather losing his way in recent seasons.

Carver said: "It's not about what players have to prove, it's about the fact they have so much to play for and offer.

"Newcastle fans know what Robert's ability is about. From what I have seen in the short space of time he has been here, he has some desire back.

"He has had a couple of wayward years and he actually seems to want to prove a point.

"He's not here on holiday, he's working hard and he's a great professional."

Meanwhile, Newcastle were today still mulling over their options over midfielder Joey Barton following his imprisonment.

The club were adding nothing to their initial non-committal statement amid suggestions the 25-year-old will be sacked for gross misconduct.

jloome
05-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Joey Barton to Columbus for Schellotto, Rogers and a draft pick.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-21-2008, 10:48 PM
This would definitely be a good move for TFC, but how does he end up coming here if other sides are willing to pay a fee for him?

SilverSamurai
05-21-2008, 10:51 PM
I just wanna know how the hell are we gonna afford, Robert, Guevara and Ameobi next season?!
Man we need the cap raised BIG TIME! $4million atleast!

dantdot
05-21-2008, 10:55 PM
A lot of interesting stuff on Morgan Campbell's blog. http://thestar.blogs.com/torontofc/2008/05/making-plans-wi.html
He added a strange aside about how much Ameobi enjoys the "North American lifestyle" including sports like hockey. Hockey? For real? Somehow that seems like a sop to the Toronto audience but we'll see.
The final word was: "If we could get Shola to this club, I'd be delighted."

kdzb
05-21-2008, 11:00 PM

Kevin Keegan will have a heart attack :banghead: when he sees Schellotto diving all over old trafford against Man United

andyc
05-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Angel was no superstar in the EPL... Frankly he was a washed up has been...

I'd be very happy with a 26 year old EPL guy. What do we have to loose other than MLSE money...

Laurignano
05-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Angel was no superstar in the EPL... Frankly he was a washed up has been...

I'd be very happy with a 26 year old EPL guy. What do we have to loose other than MLSE money...

I hope they buy him and sign him. How much would it cost for the Transfer fee?

SilverSamurai
05-21-2008, 11:09 PM
I hope they buy him and sign him. How much would it cost for the Transfer fee?

I can't remember if it was rumoured to be $4 million or 4million pounds... (doesn't help I know!)
But he's not cheap!

kdzb
05-21-2008, 11:10 PM
4 or 5 mil
I hope it's canadian not pounds!

Laurignano
05-21-2008, 11:13 PM
I can't remember if it was rumoured to be $4 million or 4million pounds... (doesn't help I know!)
But he's not cheap!
4 Million isnt bad.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-21-2008, 11:28 PM
4 Million isnt bad.

I think there a rules in place in the MLS to restrict the clubs from paying high transfer fees. I could be wrong, but I will be shocked if TFC / MLSE pays 4 million pounds (well in excess of 8 million Canadian) for Ameobi.

In regards to the above, it was 4 million pounds.

toonarmy
05-23-2008, 01:40 AM
Soon to be heard at BMO Field (sung to 'That's Amore')

When the ball goes in the net
It's not Beckham
You can bet
It's Ameobi!

Bars92
05-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Toronto Newcastle

TorontoBlades
05-23-2008, 09:12 AM
well our coach had a connection to that club when that club was one of the most talented in the world - it's natural that our best prospects would come from connections to that team and that era

The Pope
05-23-2008, 09:59 AM
H-o3d4W5p0I

Kooper
05-23-2008, 12:17 PM

As funny and as ironic as that move would be Joey could never get a work permit in the US due to his criminal past. Michael Vick would get an exception but not a English Hooligan who plays a communist game.

jloome
05-23-2008, 12:56 PM
As funny and as ironic as that move would be Joey could never get a work permit in the US due to his criminal past. Michael Vick would get an exception but not a English Hooligan who plays a communist game.

Yeah, but I can dream. There's a long post on the Crew's BS board right now about how John Carver, as a first-year manager, shouldn't dare contradict a wiley veteran like Sigi Schmidt.

I kid you not. This guy was Shearer's favourite coach and they think he should be kowtowing to Sigi Schmidt's opinion.

Thus, the desire to have Joey Barton go there, fly into a homicidal rage and kill all seven crew fans.

toonarmy
05-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Toronto Newcastle

YES!!!! :D

VPjr
05-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Toon star to turn back on US move (http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/Toon-star-to-turn-back.4109849.jp)

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/Toon-star-to-turn-back.4109849.jp

King Jeff
05-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Toon star to turn back on US move (http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/Toon-star-to-turn-back.4109849.jp)

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/Toon-star-to-turn-back.4109849.jp

No byline, no quotes disproving the rumour, just a comment that he'd be "unlikely to be keen..." and the obligatory cheap shot at the standard of the league.

Waste of time.

VPjr
05-23-2008, 04:09 PM
No byline, no quotes disproving the rumour, just a comment that he'd be "unlikely to be keen..." and the obligatory cheap shot at the standard of the league.

Waste of time.

I agree...dumb article but its out there so I posted it.

Cambridge_Red
06-03-2008, 08:25 PM
TorCastle United Fc

Mojo
06-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Ameobi? HELLLLLLLLLL NO!

I'd rather have half of Cunny.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UJG3boMpY_M

He may have rare moments of brilliance, but most of his plays are laughable.

Jack
06-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Funny vid, but don't you think he'd score in MLS?

Mojo
06-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Yeah its true, he'd probably be amazing HERE... but that video! Its just hilarious.

Jack
06-03-2008, 09:12 PM
True enough :D

Bender
06-03-2008, 09:13 PM
what is the latest on this?

ag futbol
06-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Is he worth it £4 million?

Read more (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-23486448-details/Newcastle%20misfit%20Ameobi%20could%20carve%20out% 20career%20with%20former%20coach%20in%20MLS/article.do)
And that's where this one pretty much ends.

In the world of football, and spending, we are still very very small fish. Unless he eats his contract and eveyrone forgets about it, he isn't coming because MLS will not spend that much on a transfer.

Laurignano
06-04-2008, 02:09 PM
no chance he is coming here for 4 million. too expensive.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-04-2008, 02:22 PM
I posted this a week ago in the Ameobi thread in the news section (having a separate news section is not working well, the same topics are being posted and discussed in both the general and news forums):

Meanwhile, talk that Toronto FC will be unable to afford Shola Ameobi’s transfer fee was today dismissed by a source close to the MLS side.

TFC are owned by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment group, who also own NHL and NBA giants Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors, with the company worth $1.75 billion.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/...2703-20965095/ (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/05/23/big-friendly-against-rangers-is-called-off-72703-20965095/)

onemanbarmyarmy
06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
^^My point exactly. You don't think that MLSE, with their desire to make an impact in the footy world, wouldn't pull the trigger on paying for the transfer? They would do it, assuming mo and carver want ameobi bad enough, just to thumb their nose at the other MLS owners.

Laurignano
06-04-2008, 02:36 PM
I would hope that MLSE pull the trigger and get him. July 15th is the day im waiting for and going to wait patiently to see what we get.

RedsYNWA
06-04-2008, 02:38 PM
^^ you never know

Broadview
06-04-2008, 02:38 PM
I would hope that MLSE pull the trigger and get him. July 15th is the day im waiting for and going to wait patiently to see what we get.

It's kind of like Christmas. And we don't know what were getting, and we're hoping it will be good.

Laurignano
06-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I just dont know..I think if it was any other owners I wouldnt doubt them buying him for us...but since..its MLSE, I just dont know. WIll they surprise me?! We will see.

darb
06-04-2008, 02:44 PM
I posted this a week ago in the Ameobi thread in the news section (having a separate news section is not working well, the same topics are being posted and discussed in both the general and news forums):

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/...2703-20965095/ (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/05/23/big-friendly-against-rangers-is-called-off-72703-20965095/)

I feel the same way about the separate news/TFC sections.

I've never lived in the UK, but I've been told that the Chronicle is a completely shite news source. As with the previous article with Carver talking about Ameobi, there was no concrete link between the two. It was like the reporter just started talking about Ameobi and forced Carver to admit he would like him at TFC. And with today's note, who knows what "a source close to the MLS side" means to the Comical.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-04-2008, 02:51 PM
I dont doubt that MLSE could pay for the transfer, its just that the MLS pays for them, Not the owners of the teams...

T_Mizz
06-04-2008, 03:03 PM
that's 4 million pounds too so anyone with the exchange rate and a calculator want to fill us in.
However, he didn't want to go there and to be honest TFC has to look very enticing, what with Carver, Winsper, the chance to step up and be the man.

onemanbarmyarmy
06-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I dont doubt that MLSE could pay for the transfer, its just that the MLS pays for them, Not the owners of the teams...

In that case mYBE WE WON'T GET HIM. UNLESS THE LEGEND OF TFC IS STRONG ENOUGH TO CAUSE A bend in the rule book continuum ala Galaxy-Beckham,Donovan, Goal of the week voting etc. This is one of many problems with this league.

Don Julio
06-04-2008, 04:43 PM
I don't think the transfer fee is out of the question from a rules standpoint. DPs are contracted to their club, not the League I thought, which means it might be possible for the club to pay the fee.

Cambridge_Red
06-04-2008, 05:28 PM
4,000,000.00 GBP

=

7,947,469.21 CAD

United Kingdom Pounds Canada Dollars 1 GBP = 1.98687 CAD 1 CAD = 0.503305 GBP

Razcle
06-04-2008, 05:40 PM
I just dont know..I think if it was any other owners I wouldnt doubt them buying him for us...but since..its MLSE, I just dont know. WIll they surprise me?! We will see.

Any other owner??? There are pleanty of other owners that are stingier than MLSE....I find your comments are quite humorous:hump:

T_Mizz
06-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Thankyou Cambridge red for squashing our dreams is the newcastle link worth about 4 million dollars because then 4 million remaining doesn't seem that unresonable

giambac
06-04-2008, 05:59 PM
:hurray:
4,000,000.00 GBP

=

7,947,469.21 CAD

United Kingdom Pounds Canada Dollars 1 GBP = 1.98687 CAD 1 CAD = 0.503305 GBP

wow,

you're good in math:hump::hurray:

bignickel
06-04-2008, 10:05 PM

ridiculous post. you surely aren't talking about the same MLSE that has been a top 3 highest spender in hockey for over a decade. they don't spare any expense with the raptors either.

'any other owners', give me a break. name the other potential owners that tried to bring the mls toronto, i don't think there was a lineup.

ag futbol
06-04-2008, 10:46 PM
I don't think MLSE is cheap, not by a long shot. Their track record on spending is quite good. However, their spending is balanced with their profitability. In the minds of the board, TFC simply does not produce enough cash flow to justify spending this much on a transfer. Nor is it in line with what the rest of the league is spending. No way MLSE is going to outspend AEG and Redbull by such a large margin.

I'll take Kristian Jack's word (that this rumor is complete crap) over some uk paper with less immediate knowledge of our club anyday.

Keep dreaming, he isn't coming if the price is 8m.

Laurignano
06-04-2008, 11:41 PM
ridiculous post. you surely aren't talking about the same MLSE that has been a top 3 highest spender in hockey for over a decade. they don't spare any expense with the raptors either.

'any other owners', give me a break. name the other potential owners that tried to bring the mls toronto, i don't think there was a lineup.

MLSE does spend money, but all they care about is selling out the stadium. They also wont spend more then they have coming in. Look at who they spend huge money on, its just to create buzz and keep people coming back into the seats. Sure they are the reason TFC is here, with out Carver and Mo IMO this team would be completely different as well.

I Must admit though they have been very good with us, I mean us getting Guevera, Ricketts, Robert, Tebily shows that they do want to win.

What does other potential owners have to do with anything? Ofcourse I am greatful they brought TFC here, but it doesn't mean I have to praise them, like them, and be blind to the facts I have seen with the Leafs, and I hope never come to see it at a Toronto FC.

bignickel
06-05-2008, 03:36 AM
MLSE does spend money, but all they care about is selling out the stadium. They also wont spend more then they have coming in. Look at who they spend huge money on, its just to create buzz and keep people coming back into the seats. Sure they are the reason TFC is here, with out Carver and Mo IMO this team would be completely different as well.

I Must admit though they have been very good with us, I mean us getting Guevera, Ricketts, Robert, Tebily shows that they do want to win.

What does other potential owners have to do with anything? Ofcourse I am greatful they brought TFC here, but it doesn't mean I have to praise them, like them, and be blind to the facts I have seen with the Leafs, and I hope never come to see it at a Toronto FC.

laurignano, when you spend more than you have coming in, in business, you achieve one thing only, its called bankruptcy!

you don't have to praise them, but don't sound off like they are cheap when it comes to signings, which you very much did. you sound like all the idiots that wanted to crucify mo 3 months ago.

anyway, amoeba at 8 million? do you think this is a good move? don't tell me, you saw 3 youtube highlights so he is a superstar.

what kills me is that we have mcbride or a tradeable mcbride for nothing and guys like you think mlse would be cheap for not spending 8 million on ameoba.

relax a little, mlse to this point has done nothing but provide us with a team, and allowed mo to build a competitive team.

bignickel
06-05-2008, 03:44 AM
It's kind of like Christmas. And we don't know what were getting, and we're hoping it will be good.

yeesh.

it truly is like the modern day christmas. we already know what we got, which were great presents, and now we are wondering where all the other presents are.

poor parents!

footyfan
06-05-2008, 07:19 AM

Not correct. The teams pay transfer fees under the current (post 2005) rules, even for non DP players. Most recently DC United paid a small transfer fee to Melbourne Victory for Fred.

This is one thing allocations are used for.

If he would be your DP then there is no reason why you couldn't pay the transfer fee for him other than MLSE deems it too expensive.

Laurignano
06-05-2008, 11:35 AM
laurignano, when you spend more than you have coming in, in business, you achieve one thing only, its called bankruptcy!

you don't have to praise them, but don't sound off like they are cheap when it comes to signings, which you very much did. you sound like all the idiots that wanted to crucify mo 3 months ago.

anyway, amoeba at 8 million? do you think this is a good move? don't tell me, you saw 3 youtube highlights so he is a superstar.

what kills me is that we have mcbride or a tradeable mcbride for nothing and guys like you think mlse would be cheap for not spending 8 million on ameoba.

relax a little, mlse to this point has done nothing but provide us with a team, and allowed mo to build a competitive team.

Your right man I did come off a little off. Sometimes when I say thing I dont really mean it / explain it enough, and, NO, I do not think he is a super star, I saw him play at newcastle. I liked him, although he did have many flaws like anyone else, But in truth I think he would be a good striker in the MLS.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Not correct. The teams pay transfer fees under the current (post 2005) rules, even for non DP players. Most recently DC United paid a small transfer fee to Melbourne Victory for Fred.

If he would be your DP then there is no reason why you couldn't pay the transfer fee for him other than MLSE deems it too expensive.

So transfers are paid by allocations?
Even then its prob not possible to sign this guy, where would we get 7 million dollars worth of allocations.

rocker
06-05-2008, 12:01 PM

but if a team doesn't have millions in allocation money (which is unlikely for any team) then does the league or the team pay the big transfer fee? it must be the league, right? Because the league wants equality among teams and a big transfer fee could only be afforded by some of the owners not all -- if they could pay it by dipping into their own company funds.

I'm trying to remember a big name player that's come over with a big fee recently but I can't think of any. Beckham and Blanco arrived without transfer fees I believe because they were at the end of their contracts.

The allocation money also isn't money from the "teams" ... it's money the league owns and allocates to the teams. The teams decide how it's used within the rules of the league. Did DC pay a transfer fee using their allocation money? Then that money was actually league money, not from the private coffers of the DC United owners. They could afford the transfer fee through their allocation money cuz the fee was probably low (not millions).

Personally I'd like to see some link that explains this better. I do remember info from Ives about outgoing transfer fees (like the transfer of Altidore and Adu) but nothing about incoming transfer fees. To bring in a big time player on transfer (millions of dollars in fees) I think wouldn't be possible by MLSE. TFC would need millions in allocation money (which they don't have) or the league would have to pay the fee with its own money, which is unlikely.
One solution might be to loan the player to TFC, if it was an expensive player who wasn't living up to the Euro team's performance expectations.

bignickel
06-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Your right man I did come off a little off. Sometimes when I say thing I dont really mean it / explain it enough, and, NO, I do not think he is a super star, I saw him play at newcastle. I liked him, although he did have many flaws like anyone else, But in truth I think he would be a good striker in the MLS.

good enough.

i mean we could definitely use the guy but i am sure mo is looking at a few options right now.

just like i stood by mo in the off-season, i am willing to bet we will get surprised in a good way with a dp or major signing in the not too distant future.

it's all good right now.

pimpslapt
06-05-2008, 05:52 PM
we should get ameobi for the sheer fact he's got one of the best songs in football

you put your left foot in.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxRIJWmGQJQ

ag futbol
06-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Some guys are just injury prone (not saying that this guy is).

For what it's worth, Winsper didn't have a great track record at Newcastle for keeping the guys healthy, but was it the cook or the eggs?

By MLS standards our conditioning looks really good this year.

Laurignano
06-05-2008, 06:14 PM
we should get ameobi for the sheer fact he's got one of the best songs in football

you put your left foot in.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxRIJWmGQJQ

your def right there buddy lol

MG42
06-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Newcastle are reported to have accepted an offer from Ipswich for Shola Ameobi, as the race for the striker hots up.
The rangy forward would appear to be surplus to requirements at St James’ Park and there has been no shortage of interest in the 26-year-old.
A switch to Major League Soccer has been dismissed by Ameobi’s agent, but Ipswich’s East Anglian rivals Norwich are also believed to hold an interest in the player.
“He's not going to the MLS, that's not an option we're looking at,” Ameobi’s agent Steven Denos told the Norwich Evening News. “We've had no contact from Middlesbrough and no offer in from Norwich City.”
Norwich are in the market for a striker following the departure of Darren Huckerby and Canaries chief Glenn Roeder is a fan of the forward.
Denos added: “Shola worked well with Glenn at Newcastle and that's what everyone must be thinking. One thing for certain is that Newcastle would want a hefty transfer fee for him.

READ MORE

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/06/09/Prem-Ameobi-bid-accepted/

professor
06-10-2008, 07:36 PM
NO AMEOBI DEAL - AGENT

Ipswich have not had a £4million bid accepted for Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi, according to the player´s agent.

Reports suggested Town had won the race for the former England Under-21 international, with East Anglia rivals Norwich also interested in the 26-year-old.

The Tractor Boys have refused to make any comment but Ameobi´s agent Steven Denos dismissed the reports as "speculation".

source:
http://www.givemefootball.com/news.html?newsID=08648&type=domestic