PDA

View Full Version : Who to Protect?

Stouffville_RPB
10-21-2008, 10:36 AM
CBC touched on this a little but I want some RPB input. Who should TFC protect for the upcoming expansion draft? Carver and Mo can protect 11 players who should they be?

In no particular order here's who I think should be kept.

-Rohan Ricketts
-Chad Barrett
-Ibee Ibrahim
-Carl Robinson
-Marvell Wynne
-Greg Sutton
-Amado Guevara
-Jim Brennan
-Johann Smith
------------------------------
And 2 of these 3
-Nana Attakora
-Tyrone Marshall
-Todd Dunivant

Nodoubtguy
10-21-2008, 10:38 AM
what are we allowed to protect?

rocktml
10-21-2008, 10:40 AM
CBC touched on this a little but I want some RPB input. Who should TFC protect for the upcoming expansion draft? Carver and Mo can protect 11 players who should they be?

In no particular order here's who I think should be kept.

-Rohan Ricketts
-Chad Barrett
-Ibee Ibrahim
-Carl Robinson
-Marvell Wynne
-Greg Sutton
-Amado Guevara
-Jim Brennan
-Johann Smith
------------------------------
And 2 of these 3
-Nana Attakora
-Tyrone Marshall
-Todd Dunivant

Leaves us with a very weak defense

Stouffville_RPB
10-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Seattle is coming into the league and will get to partake in an expansion draft where they select a certain number of players off other teams rosters. Each existing team compiles a list of 11 players on their current squad that can't be selected by Seattle.

TicTacTabarnack
10-21-2008, 10:42 AM
We had a bit of a discussion a few weeks ago of who to protect:
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=6360

And a little bit in the "Ives on TFC" thread

Parkdale
10-21-2008, 10:42 AM
oh boy.... I can see it now.

Mo is going to have to make the decision to leave someone unprotected,
and we'll lose that person to expansion and people will start calling for his head.
Remember who pissed we were when Ronnie O left? How about the few days after
Esky left? Imagine that but x10 if someone who's actually good gets picked.

unfortunately, that's how the expansion draft works. Obviously the new team is
going to try to take the best they can get. I expect to loose someone decent. That's the league.

Parkdale
10-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Seattle is coming into the league and will get to partake in an expansion draft where they select a certain number of players off other teams rosters. Each existing team compiles a list of 11 players on their current squad that can't be selected by Seattle.

way more involved than that.

there are exceptions for SI spots, and 'Generation Adidas' spots.

deschamp86
10-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Greg Sutton
Kevin Harmse
Danny Dichio
Rohan Ricketts
Jim Brennan
Tyrone Marshall
Marvell Wynne
Chad Barrett
Amado Guevara
Carl Robinson
Johann Smith

No need to protect Attakora or Ibby as they are developmental and Generation Adidas.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-21-2008, 10:46 AM
id like to see whos leaving first before i draw up a list but all lists so far look about right

deschamp86
10-21-2008, 10:46 AM

and we'll lose that person to expansion and people will start calling for his head.

going to try to take the best they can get. I expect to loose someone decent. That's the league.

No I don't think that will be the case. Pozniak was left off last year, and I remember most people being saddened that he had to go, after coming from overseas wanting to play for Toronto.

Though there will always be idiots who jeer the guys who wanted to be here and gave it their all, such as when Braz was taunted and had stuff thrown at him when he got injured in the CC.

Stouffville_RPB
10-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Leaves us with a very weak defense

Our defense IS weak. I've included 4 defenders in that list. How many would you protect? Would you rather save Gabe Gala? Kevin Harmse? Hunter Freeman? Marco Velez? Julius James?

I think I included our highest quality players back there.

Nuvinho
10-21-2008, 10:49 AM
see end of page one onwards on the rules for the expansion draft and who some of us think we should protect.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=7023

Nuvinho
10-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Here is what I figured they may protect. As Wooster pointed out, you have to protect all but 1 international player.

Sutton (unprotected, they have a goalie in Seattle and he makes a lot)
Edwards (risky to keep him unprotected tho, could be Seattle's backup)
Nana (dev)
Brennan (He has a high salary, but I still think that Seattle may take him)
Dunivant (Will definately be taken if we leave him unprotected)
Freeman (His contract isn't up til December, so we can leave him unprotected)
James (Protected, young player)
Marshall (protected or trade him for a pick before the expansion draft)
Velez (unprotected, we know why)
Wynne (protected, we know why)
Gala (dev)
Rosenlund (dev)
Melo (dev)
Elkinson (dev)
Robinson (protected, but also would Seattle want to take a $330K player)
Ricketts (protected)
Guevara (protected)
Harmse (unprotected, international for Seattle)
Jo Smith (protected)
Ja Smith (indifferent, if we have a spot protect him)
Guadet (dev)
Barrett (protected)
Ibbe (dev)
Ruiz (unprotected)
Dichio (unprotected, b/c I doubt they will pick him up)

That is 10 players who are protected, if dev. players count, just add Ibbe to the list.

Stouffville_RPB
10-21-2008, 10:52 AM
see end of page one onwards on the rules for the expansion draft and who some of us think we should protect.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=7023

Thanks

The Kingpin
10-21-2008, 10:55 AM

Ummmm... Ronnie O was fantastic this year and was our best player in year one. He would still be one of the best players on the current squad.

ccopela
10-21-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't think protecting Sutton is a necessity, They have Kasey Keller and there have been rumors that they're going to sign the current sounders keeper to be his backup.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Never thought id say this but I actually think we should protect Harmse after the way hes proved himself as CB, never thought id say that in a million years

Steve
10-21-2008, 12:15 PM
I don't think protecting Sutton is a necessity, They have Kasey Keller and there have been rumors that they're going to sign the current sounders keeper to be his backup.

Except that isn't necessarily the way it works. Remember our expansion draft? When we took people we didn't need? Remember taking Kreis just because we knew Salt Lake wanted him back (to coach I guess)?

If Seattle have an extra pick, they may just pick Sutton to screw us/try to make a deal. It might be the strategic thing to do. So I would only leave player unprotected that you don't actually care if they are taken, not just players you don't think will be taken.

Wooster_TFC
10-21-2008, 12:49 PM
The real interesting part is going to be the fact that we currently have 10 players designated as internationals and we are required to protect 9 of them. That leaves a whole 2 spots for the players designated as domestic or US.

One of those spots will be Brennan, but the other?

As has been pointed out to me in the past, we might want to wait until we get a little closer to the expansion draft, since maybe we'll release players, or the actual rules will change.

Mark in Ottawa
10-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Our defense IS weak. I've included 4 defenders in that list. How many would you protect? Would you rather save Gabe Gala? Kevin Harmse? Hunter Freeman? Marco Velez? Julius James? I think I included our highest quality players back there.

No need to protect Freeman... he is outa here to Europe (Norway) at the January transfer window. All signed and ready to go.

Nuvinho
10-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Lists have to be in by November 24th at 5pm.

FluSH
10-21-2008, 04:22 PM
-nascar

T_Mizz
10-21-2008, 04:40 PM
After the way that Mo handled the Expansion draft we need to hope that Seattle's GM won't be the same way, Mo seemed to just draft the best, most trade valuable players available as we had virtually no expansion draft content on our team this year, so clearly he wasn't planning on keeping those players long term.

MG42
10-21-2008, 04:58 PM

Unless you draft like MoJo did, take players that you know the team still wants to keep, or picking up players you know other teams are interested in...

NateDoGG
10-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Barrett
Brennan
Sutton
Wynne
Robinson
Dichio
Ricketts
Ibrahim
Guevara
James
Velez

mlsintoronto
10-21-2008, 06:28 PM
just clarifying - to add stress to those fans of Nana - development players can be selected by seattle. if selected the player must be offered a senior team contract.

Nuvinho
10-21-2008, 06:31 PM
just clarifying - to add stress to those fans of Nana - development players can be selected by seattle. if selected the player must be offered a senior team contract.

yikes!!! :eek:

Cambridge_Red
10-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Nana needs to be protected. Simple as that.

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Greg Sutton
Marvell Wynne
Julius James
Jim Brennan
Nana Attakora-Gyan
Johann Smith
Carl Robinson
Amado Guevara
Rohan Ricketts
Chad Barrett
Danny Dichio

Axeman
10-21-2008, 09:02 PM
We need our captain protected, Jimmy B. I dont think he gets enough credit for his solid play.
As a dark horse I'd say Todd Dunivant should be protected, he would shore up the left flank with Freeman leaving and Ricketts moving(probably) to right wing where I think he's more effective. We could then alternate between Dunivant and Jo Smith for Left-Wing. I believe Dunivant will be more efective than Jo next season, I dont think Jo showed much more than speed this year.

MartinUtd
10-21-2008, 10:55 PM
I say find out if Robinson is leaving and if he is then keep it on the d/l until after the waiver period

nascarguy
10-22-2008, 03:38 AM
-Rohan Ricketts
-Chad Barrett
-Ibee Ibrahim
-Carl Robinson
-Marvell Wynne
-Greg Sutton
-Amado Guevara
-Jim Brennan

Oldtimer
10-22-2008, 07:26 AM