PDA

View Full Version : What Non Roster event should TFC do for 09 - BMO Suggestions

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-20-2008, 10:23 PM
open the gates earlier!!

Oblio2
10-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Fuck yeah. Pathetic having to stand in line 1/2 before the fucking game. Open the Gates!

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Fuck yeah. Pathetic having to stand in line 1/2 before the fucking game. Open the Gates!

bet thats the most popular by closing time!!

mlsintoronto
10-20-2008, 10:29 PM
we open the gates an hour before the game, and aside from a game where we admittedly had issues, there is very little activity (demand) for this. There are usually people waiting for gates to open, but after they get in there is no crush...the real issue is typical to all big events - everyone comes at one time - in the 15 minutes before the start time which leads to the bottlenecks you all know and love. The go train doesn't help much in this regard either. I'd like to experiment with earlier gate times next season, but we need an incentive for fans to come earlier.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-20-2008, 10:31 PM
we open the gates an hour before the game, and aside from a game where we admittedly had issues, there is very little activity (demand) for this. There are usually people waiting for gates to open, but after they get in there is no crush...the real issue is typical to all big events - everyone comes at one time - in the 15 minutes before the start time which leads to the bottlenecks you all know and love. The go train doesn't help much in this regard either. I'd like to experiment with earlier gate times next season, but we need an incentive for fans to come earlier.

play an academy game before the first team game...lets us see the future TFC players!!! im sure that would bring fans in earlier...

wzhxvy
10-20-2008, 10:32 PM
You had majour issues one game and did not apologize or acknowledge the screw up to the fans in the stadium. It would not have taken much to make an announcement on the PA or even delay the game for 5 minutes as people sat down.

Oblio2
10-20-2008, 10:36 PM

Thanks Paul.
However, there are crazy lines and it's just too late...especially when there is a delay-It really backs up. On the Plus side, you open the gates and extra 1/2 hour earlier, you sell more stuff.

Oblio2
10-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Wait.
Topless Cheerleaders.....
Paul. Get on this please. (Oh, prerequisite is dancing in front of 110)
:)

Kevvv
10-20-2008, 10:38 PM
My only issue is the half - get people through the concessions faster and more gents (on the west side at least). Get the old troughs out of the Gardens, or at least get rid of the dividers so we can have more pisseurs intalled.

But hey, I like being at BMO field, not much else to gripe about.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Red patch Girls vs Hooters selects before game proceed to cancer or something, now that would get me and a few thousand other guys there for sure..

TicTacTabarnack
10-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Other - I'm wondering if it's feasible to turn the BIG women's washroom in a men's washroom and the smaller men's washroom into a women's (West side)? i.e. Make the washroom's more proportional to guy to girl ratio at BMO Field.

p.s. My fiancée doesn't agree with this one since she loves the lack of line-up situation for the women, but I thought I'd make the suggestion :p

nascarguy
10-20-2008, 11:32 PM
My only issue with the last home game was that all my banner were not put in the right sec and i had to go look all over bmo field for a member of the game day crew and did not get my banner up in till 30mins in the the game. before next year the game crew need more help and I think that they need to get supporter to form a tfc banner crew.

what the banner crew would do is make sure all banner are up in the right place 3 hour before the gates are open

David_Oliveira
10-20-2008, 11:38 PM
I voted for the Roadtrips but I was thinking subsidizing the Supporters groups alittle with a hotel or something.

TicTacTabarnack
10-20-2008, 11:40 PM
I voted for the Roadtrips but I was thinking subsidizing the Supporters groups alittle with a hotel or something.

I doubt they'll subsidize ... Maybe negotiate a better group rate?

David_Oliveira
10-20-2008, 11:40 PM
I doubt they'll subsidize ... Maybe negotiate a better group rate?

That can work too lol

David_Oliveira
10-20-2008, 11:41 PM
even help transport our banners and get them into the stadium for us so that we can have time to mingle before the game?

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-20-2008, 11:42 PM

If TFC would run a down and back trip No stay over like the supporters club do i might considering going on a road trip it would be fun. Went
down to Albany a fews years back with the Rock to the Championship game, it was a long down and back but worth it.

TicTacTabarnack
10-20-2008, 11:57 PM
If TFC would run a down and back trip No stay over like the supporters club do i might considering going on a road trip it would be fun. Went
down to Albany a fews years back with the Rock to the Championship game, it was a long down and back but worth it.

The Season Opener was wild! I'm sure the Columbus Road Trip will be bigger and better next year! Can we sell out their stadium and make a home game out of it? :p There were tons of seats empty last year ... Let the planning begin!

Cashcleaner
10-21-2008, 01:13 AM
Good to see Paul is paying attention to this thread, so I'll let go with a range of improvements I'd like to see implemented.

Gate Times: I think opening up BMO an hour before kick-off is a good idea, though I agree that anything over an hour in advance would be overkill. Like you said (Paul), there may not be a lot of people lining up with 60 minutes to go, but I'm willing to bet that if you make it common knowledge for people, you'll have fans use the time to buy their merch and maybe a bite to eat before the larger crowds show up.

Merchandise: I cannot stress enough how important it is that Adidas produces enough of the new playing tops and fan wear to meet demand. There are a multitude of smaller independent sportings goods stores all over the GTA that have gotten only the bare minimum of TFC gear this year and last because most of the goods went to Centre Sports, the TFC Shop at BMO Field, or Sportschek.

Road Trips: I'd like to see the club get more involved with at least the first road trip of the year (provided its a match being played relatively close to Toronto) and the Canadian Championship. In fact, with that said I'd like to see the club push the NCC a lot more. People need to understand just how lucrative the tournament is. We have to drive home the fact that it's our National Championships and that the winner goes on into the very competitive CONCACAF Champs League. Seeing a big contingent of TFC supporters making it out to Vancouver and Montreal would really turn heads.

Special Functions: Enshrine the 90th minute party as the last big hurrah for the season. Some people were freaking out when they thought it was being discontinued this year. I would recommend you stick to a venue closer to downtown, though. Vaughan was a bit too far for a lot of people, even with the buses set-up to take us back to BMO Field.

mlsintoronto
10-21-2008, 05:39 AM
You had majour issues one game and did not apologize or acknowledge the screw up to the fans in the stadium. It would not have taken much to make an announcement on the PA or even delay the game for 5 minutes as people sat down.

correct - you're right - in hindsight we should have.

canadian_bhoy
10-21-2008, 06:11 AM

Monkey Butlers serving free beer in 112?

XEgn3kClWGs

The Kingpin
10-21-2008, 06:39 AM
In diapers please. We'd prefer sanitary conditions....

BuSaPuNk
10-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Yeah I think the reserves game before the accual game would be great. The gates will already be open so that solves two problems at once. It would be nice for more fan/player access as well. What about a contest for two fans to sit on the bench with the players during the game? If not the bench like right behind the 4th offical table??

Dave67
10-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Open the gates 30 minutes earlier and ban beer sales in the 2nd half.

Chevy
10-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Bring back the old Maple Leaf Gardens troughs.

olegunnar
10-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Open the gates 30 minutes earlier and ban beer sales in the 2nd half.

I agree with this, but I don't think it will ever happen since they're both money losers.

Earlier in this thread, and at times before, Beirne or whoever was using his handle at the time (I've been told they share the account) has said that opening the gates early cost them (staff etc.) more than they make.
If they ban beer in the 2nd half they'll lose revenue. Even though it would be a benefit to many (less chance of drunks throwing things or out of control frat boys) the loss of revenue will probably make that idea a no go too.

Unfortunate since I think both of those ideas are great.

alexintoronto
10-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Have the reserves play before the game.

Flipityflu
10-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Paul is right, its not the gate opening time thats causing the problem. i'm usually there an hour before and i don't have a problem getting in at all. its the fact that everybody shows up half an hour before the game starts thats causing the problem. if you want to stop the problem, show up a bit earlier. i just don't see the gate opening as an issue at all.

not only that, but by showing up early, you get to enjoy a quick movement through the food and bevy lines as well. if there is anything that is causing problems, its the long wait times to get served that is more pressing to me. those lines grow very quickly and cause a bigger bottleneck.

Mozfather
10-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Monkey Butlers serving free beer in 112?

But how many Monkey Butlers would there be?

nobodybeatsthewiz
10-21-2008, 09:11 AM
But how many Monkey Butlers would there be?

one at first, but he'll train others.

Gobi
10-21-2008, 09:20 AM
My wish is for better scheduling, eg:
-Last game of the season is played at home
-First game of the season played anywhere but Columbus ;)
-Midsummer games maybe played later in the evening (heat, sunstroke)
-Acknowledge FIFA dates!!! Jeez.

Oh, and, um, install real GRASS please.

Oblio2
10-21-2008, 09:21 AM
-Last game of the season is played at home
-First game of the season played anywhere but Columbus ;)

Boooyaaaa....see above.
Nuff said

The Kingpin
10-21-2008, 09:23 AM
GRASS

Parkdale
10-21-2008, 09:51 AM
more of a BMO field concern...

and yes, I've been saying this all damn year

set up lines so people queue with the direction of the hall instead of across it.

http://www.engadget.com/media/2008/05/iphone_line_1-1.jpg

^ see how people are lined up parallel to the wall so they don't cut across the flow of traffic? Would it be that hard to do?

jabbronies
10-21-2008, 09:54 AM
- I hate that there are certain foods only available in certain sections.

- Better half time games and entertainment. The box kick is getting old. Shoot outs are cool or a mini game with kids.. or something competitive that will keep our interest and energy levels up through the break.

- Afternoon games in the summer is a heat stroke waiting to happen. Evening games may be the way to go. Or build a couple of roofs.

TFC_Toon
10-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Grass please.
Good observation on the concession lineups too Parky.

Suds
10-21-2008, 11:39 AM
play an academy game before the first team game...lets us see the future TFC players!!! im sure that would bring fans in earlier...

I like this idea.

Suds
10-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Good ideas.

Especially the mid-summer games being moved to the evening.

TFCREDNWHITE
10-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Grass!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-21-2008, 01:40 PM
I like this idea.

lets hope TFC find the wisdom in this...lets see the youngsters at BMO..

Pigfynn
10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
More night games in summer is a great idea

Academy games before senior games is great on a few levels (exposure for the lads to us and vice versa)

J .
10-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Less Police/security in the supporters section. Let the supporters take care of things.

bobtfc
10-21-2008, 08:28 PM
I realize this would be very difficult to schedule (out of your control). If we have any influence it would be nice to have a Seattle and Vancouver game back-to-back. A few friends and I are planning on Seattle and would definitely do Vancouver if it was less than a week apart.

As said earlier, reserve or academy match before the TFC match would also be great (and would be the incentive to open gates earlier).

Cuchulain
10-21-2008, 08:43 PM

2 for 1 fifty fifty tickets!!

olegunnar
10-21-2008, 09:01 PM
They can't have reserve games before the real game.

The reserve rosters are dependent on who plays in the real game, or how much they play.

egoodwin
10-21-2008, 09:23 PM
If anything needs to be done to BMO during the offseason... this is definitely it.

For safety sake, please put ripples or something similar to the surface on sidewalks onto the pavement of the west stand concourse...

When it rains, that concrete, being completely smooth, is slick as ice... you really have to watch your step on it...

It is only a matter of time until someone slips and gets injured, or worse, slips and hits their head or something on that surface, if it hasn't already...

gtaguy
10-21-2008, 09:25 PM
maybe thats a good thing.. i tear my neck at bmo..
I got seasons ticks for life ..

H Bomb
10-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Don't want to sound like an ass but wouldn't this be better in the "What to change at BMO" thread instead of having it's own

CoachGT
10-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Love that suggestion Parkdale - lineups are such that you can't move at halftime, even if you can get out of your seat. Might be a problem in some parts of the stadium, though.

Lose the "Lame Guy" stuff and the box kick. Check jabbronies note about the St. Etienne halftime - kids penalties!

Play the songs Are you red and The Legend TFC before games. And if there are queues outside, start the "help us with today's lineup" when a few more bodies are in the stands.

Personally, I like the 3:30/4:00 game start times. Gives enough time to tailgate a bit and still be home at a reasonable hour (for those of us with kids).

What I'd really like to see, to help with the next generation of fans, is more of the open practices for kids. Keep building the base!

MartinUtd
10-21-2008, 10:28 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE STOP PLAyING SHITTY 80'S ROCK AFTER GAMES!!!!!

TFC John
10-21-2008, 10:45 PM
For my own selfish reasons, move the 3:30 pm start time. Either forward or back, I don't care which. My night shift starts at 5:00 pm so a 3:30 pm start jambs me whether I'm working days or nights. A 2:00 pm or earlier start or a 6:00 pm or later start would be better for me because I would have time to either come from, or go to, work depending on what shift I'm working.

I know this is all dictated by the TV schedule but this is the one thing that would help me the most. I was thankful when the home opener was moved from 4:00 pm to 12:30 pm back in April because I had to work nights that weekend.

And while I'm on the topic of scheduling, if next summer we could have a week of - Sunday @ Seattle, Wednesday @ Vancouver and Saturday @ San Jose, that would make for an epic road trip.

And one more thing - Carolina Challenge Cup! Please! Please! Please!

nascarguy
10-22-2008, 03:36 AM
For my own selfish reasons, move the 3:30 pm start time. Either forward or back, I don't care which. My night shift starts at 5:00 pm so a 3:30 pm start jambs me whether I'm working days or nights. A 2:00 pm or earlier start or a 6:00 pm or later start would be better for me because I would have time to either come from, or go to, work depending on what shift I'm working.

I know this is all dictated by the TV schedule but this is the one thing that would help me the most. I was thankful when the home opener was moved from 4:00 pm to 12:30 pm back in April because I had to work nights that weekend.

And while I'm on the topic of scheduling, if next summer we could have a week of - Sunday @ Seattle, Wednesday @ Vancouver and Saturday @ San Jose, that would make for an epic road trip.

And one more thing - Carolina Challenge Cup! Please! Please! Please!:violin::violin::michael:

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-22-2008, 08:51 PM
If anything needs to be done to BMO during the offseason... this is definitely it.

For safety sake, please put ripples or something similar to the surface on sidewalks onto the pavement of the west stand concourse...

When it rains, that concrete, being completely smooth, is slick as ice... you really have to watch your step on it...

It is only a matter of time until someone slips and gets injured, or worse, slips and hits their head or something on that surface, if it hasn't already...

it did a young girl maybe 8-9 fell during the last big rain storm and banged her head..it was terrible...she got up after a bit and was looked after ,but
maybe some plastic grass at the bottom of the stairs like thet use on patios.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-22-2008, 08:53 PM

And one more thing - Carolina Challenge Cup! Please! Please! Please!

i would like a 2:30-3pm Ko time that way we could have a reserve game afterwards and still get out quite early...weeknight games keep to 7pm.

GuelphStorm2007
10-22-2008, 09:09 PM
During the months of July and August schedule the games at 7:30pm or 6:00pm on Saturdays. Have the reserve games played earlier. And whynot tfc subsides the Hotel costs for the road trips.

GuelphStorm2007
10-22-2008, 09:11 PM

Nrver thought of that. Very good point.:hump::hump:

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-22-2008, 10:24 PM
During the months of July and August schedule the games at 7:30pm or 6:00pm on Saturdays. Have the reserve games played earlier. And whynot tfc subsides the Hotel costs for the road trips.

cant play the reserve games earlier because of the league rules, must be after...6pm on a saturday...football has alwaus been a day sport on weekends lets keep it that way...no later then a 3:30 pm ko.

jabbronies
10-23-2008, 09:40 AM
cant play the reserve games earlier because of the league rules, must be after...6pm on a saturday...football has alwaus been a day sport on weekends lets keep it that way...no later then a 3:30 pm ko.

Then put a proper roof over all of the stands...The sun really drains the energy out of the crowd.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Then put a proper roof over all of the stands...The sun really drains the energy out of the crowd.

once they expand the east side and the supporters end im sure the roof will come, me i love the sun and heat...i still yell and chant at the same level although i go through more of those $6 cokes:(

rocker
10-23-2008, 05:58 PM
regarding the reserve games -- they are played after because then the team knows what time limits they have to put on certain players. the CBA says players can only play a certain number of minutes within a time period. so if you had them before, you might actually use a player too much and that would take time away from his senior duties. not to mention if a guy gets hurt beforehand and then is useless for the senior game.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-23-2008, 10:20 PM
regarding the reserve games -- they are played after because then the team knows what time limits they have to put on certain players. the CBA says players can only play a certain number of minutes within a time period. so if you had them before, you might actually use a player too much and that would take time away from his senior duties. not to mention if a guy gets hurt beforehand and then is useless for the senior game.

thats why they should add up to 3 new rosters spots for DEV players
let them get thier feet wet in the reserve league..but that would mean increasing the salary cap.

GabrielHurl
10-24-2008, 01:08 PM
And whynot tfc subsides the Hotel costs for the road trips.

Why should they?

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-24-2008, 07:06 PM
61% want the gates open earlier no surprise there...will it happen? TFC cant say would cost more to open another 30 mins earlier as the security and staff are already there at that point!!