PDA

View Full Version : How did it go so wrong?

TFC*FAN
10-20-2008, 12:51 PM
With such a promising start, and with our solid finish to the season, why did the middle of the season remind us so much of last year?

Previous threads have discussed the impact of last minute goals, poor referee decisions, and even coaching/management decisions.

Something we lacked a great of deal last year was depth, in that we had none. I thought that at the beginning of the seaon we had improved that significantly.

But as the middle of the season rolled around this year, and the hectic schedule coupled with players on international duties, we could see where our true weakness existed.

A player seldom talked about who was a key player to our depth at the beginning of this year and last was Todd Dunivant. Losing him for the year really cost us. As did Dichio's injury, Robert's lack of wanting to do anything, and our inability to maintain a stable roster throughout the year (injuries, internationals, young players being given more than they could handle, etc).

If we're going to compete next year, we need experienced depth on our roster from day one through until the playoffs. It's easy to have depth on day 1. And given the MLS is remaining stubborn when it comes to the international schedule (another topic entirely) we need to accept that we'll run in to the same issues next year if we don't build our team accordingly.

TFCREDNWHITE
10-20-2008, 12:56 PM
I blame it all on Players' attitude....Too many new faces coming in and out...but basically it just comes down to their attitude and performance on the field.

Oldtimer
10-20-2008, 12:58 PM
It takes time to build a team.

We seem to be following the New England model, where you build with promising young players and eventually get a solid team. They only made it into the playoffs twice in the first 6 years, but for the following 6 years have been regularly in the semi-finals or the finals.

You can get a contender sooner, but it won't have staying power (one only has to look at LA to see how a MLS Cup winning team can go quickly to bottom-feeder).

That being said, if Mo gets off his rear end and signs the deals early, that will help us greatly. (It's claimed he will be doing just that). There should only need to be minor tinkering during the season.

Shaughno
10-20-2008, 01:00 PM
I agree very much so, and seeing the younger talent we have been picking up seem to indicate it as well.

TFC*FAN
10-20-2008, 01:02 PM
The only problem is that if your young players are too promising, you won't have them anymore (Edu and possibly Wynne)

Tough to build a team on players that are good here but ignored everywhere else.

Parkdale
10-20-2008, 01:02 PM
I blame it all on Players' attitude....Too many new faces coming in and out...but basically it just comes down to their attitude and performance on the field.

and by that same token, I blame our last stretch of great play on the players attitude. if we blame them for the bad, we blame them for the good.

here's my simple question: was the on-field product better than last year? I say yes. I consider improvement a success. We'll be better next year (maybe make playoffs) then better the year after that (maybe make finals) and then even better the year after that (the Cup comes to Toronto). We're on the right track, and as long as Mo can keep they guys we have, with some fresh blood, then we're laughing.

Shaughno
10-20-2008, 01:06 PM
The only problem is that if your players are too promising, you won't have them anymore (Edu and possibly Wynne)

Tough to build a team on players that are good here but ignored everywhere else.

Agreed, but players like Jo.Smith, Ibrahim, Ricketts are all much better to have for 3-4 years than players like Dichio and Robert who were past their prime when we signed them. The major difference, the younger players tend to get better and can 'slip' into your team with less problems.

Parkdale
10-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Robert fit into the team like a Frenchman at Octoberfest.

Shaughno
10-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Exactly my point monsieur

nobodybeatsthewiz
10-20-2008, 01:11 PM
the early-mid july away to chicago has been the teetering point both seasons now

TFC*FAN
10-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Agreed, but players like Jo.Smith, Ibrahim, Ricketts are all much better to have for 3-4 years than players like Dichio and Robert who were past their prime when we signed them. The major difference, the younger players tend to get better and can 'slip' into your team with less problems.

I agree. Has-beens are not the solution, and very young players in their development are the wildcard. You know what you're getting with guys like Ricketts, Velez, Dunivant, Robinson, Barrett, etc. Chances are they won't be poached as easy as an Ibrahim/ James/ Rosenlund may be.

Fort York Redcoat
10-20-2008, 03:08 PM
I agree. Has-beens are not the solution, and very young players in their development are the wildcard. You know what you're getting with guys like Ricketts, Velez, Dunivant, Robinson, Barrett, etc. Chances are they won't be poached as easy as an Ibrahim/ James/ Rosenlund may be.

But every team needs leaders on the field. It's going to be a part of the league that we'll have retirees coming for their American paycheck and some of them are hits while more are misses. This is the way with all types of players. It will be the clubs job to find who will adopt Toronto for their own and prove their worth.

Damien
10-20-2008, 04:10 PM

How the hell can we sign Michael Ballack?!

Mark in Ottawa
10-21-2008, 12:29 PM
I thought that the team was better than last year but the loss of Danny D. seemed to take the wind right out of the sails.
Lack of depth is always a problem for an expansion team and hopefully this gets solved after a few seasons.

Derko
10-21-2008, 12:37 PM
I thought that the team was better than last year but the loss of Danny D. seemed to take the wind right out of the sails.
Lack of depth is always a problem for an expansion team and hopefully this gets solved after a few seasons.

Agreed, Danny Dichio is the leader up front, as much as Robbo is the general in Midfield and Brennan on defence.
When those players were absent TFC were lacklustre.

Yes TFC did improve this year, minus some very bad dissapointments.

1) Hugely underestimating Montreal and Vancouver.
2) Losing points in the last few minutes of many games.

trane
10-21-2008, 02:04 PM

Like one from Alsace Lorraine, or one from Marsaille?

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
10-21-2008, 02:05 PM
It is amazing what the Bigman Danny D meant to TFC in regards to winning and losing ..Both this year and last

Hitcho
10-21-2008, 02:43 PM
mid-season slump was down to constant player changes through trades, internationals and injuries. take the settled core of the team now, add two or perhaps three good players for next season and that team, if it remains settled, will definitely make the play-offs. Internationals and injuries we can't do much about, but Mo and Carver need to look at keeping a settled team next year as much as possible. Impromptu trades will always happen when someone good becomes available or a player gets a long term injury, plus we're still trying to establish depth in only our third season, but a settled core is key I reckon.

nascarguy
10-22-2008, 03:55 AM
lol lol