http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/10/20/carl-robinson.html

Also, a small piece I did on Adam Braz:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/10/20/adam-braz.html

Cheers,
John

Shaughno
10-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Ouch...

So much for people's arguement of 'we don't need another DM because we have Robbo'.

Boris
10-20-2008, 10:30 AM
my thoughts exactly....
this is already worrying me....

WHO'S NEXT?!?!?!?

Oldtimer
10-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Noooooooo!

nobodybeatsthewiz
10-20-2008, 10:34 AM
fantastic :rolleyes:

Pigfynn
10-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Jesus, looks like we could be facing another player influx and "outflux"

Oh deary me

rocker
10-20-2008, 10:37 AM
i wonder if this, and Dichio's comments, are sorta related. By that, I mean that both of em signed 4 year deals when they arrived. The first two years were guaranteed. Now they are entering the team option phase of things. So they are naturally a bit unsure of what's going to happen. It's also been a fact that in MLS, teams will sometimes try to renegotiate that this point. They'll say "look, we won't take up the option for the third year. But if you'd like to come back, we'll offer you a new guaranteed 2 year deal at a lower salary." Mo might do this to get some cap room. Maybe suggest 100K to Dichio and 200K to Robbo.
If they don't like it, they might decide to take off.

Nodoubtguy
10-20-2008, 10:40 AM
losing Robbo would be a serious blow in our mid.......

Daveisonfire
10-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Nooooo Robbo don't go :(

Damien
10-20-2008, 10:50 AM
It would be awful to see him go... hopefully Mo/Carver can convince him before the new year.

SLBuu
10-20-2008, 10:52 AM
DAMMIT!!!! This Blows!

Shaughno
10-20-2008, 10:55 AM
We'll see though, maybe his family is content here and doesn't want to move back. Then again, maybe they want him to earn more money and want to go 'home'.

Flipityflu
10-20-2008, 11:01 AM
all i can say is that mo better be on that phone building this team now. if we lose danny and robboand can't replace them we will make the last two seasons look like paradise.

i for one think they are both gone. players don't just suddenly decide to talk to their families after the season. i'm sure this conversation has already taken place by now.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-20-2008, 11:12 AM
"I love this place. If you watch me play, you'll see that I play with a smile on my face. I enjoy it here, my family loves it here, but I have to do what's right for my family. It's not just about an individual decision or selfish decision from me — it's a family decision," Robinson told CBCSports.ca

Robbo..Can no doubt make double his wage going back to the Championship in england......Seems like its gona come down to a decision.....of money over Lifestyle!!..and at his age...i wouldnt blame him for going back an making as much loot as he can before he hangs em up!...

It will be a huge loss if he opts to go back!

kodiakTFC
10-20-2008, 11:16 AM
I really like Robbo, hope he stays but wouldn't be angry with him at all if he left. He takes a huge pay cut to play away from home! That is crazy talk.

Velvet Elvis
10-20-2008, 11:32 AM
I will be very disapointed if we lose Robbo.

Oblio2
10-20-2008, 11:34 AM
If we lose him and dont replace him, we are royally fucked, make no bones about it. With that said, you can't blame the guy if he does go back.

Parkdale
10-20-2008, 11:37 AM
All the more reason for MLS to raise the salary cap.

If they want the league to be taken seriously internationally, then they need to attract and keep international quality players, and not just one DP per team. They need well rounded squads with domestic and international talent, as well as a healthy mix of experience and youth. If a player like Robbo leaves the league simply because of money, then clearly the league isn't seeing the flaws in their own policies.

and isn't there some backdoor way for MLSE to players happy? I'm sure some retired teacher who has shares in MLSE owns a nice house in Oakville that a play and family could live in rent free. There's got to be something happening off the books to keep them happy.

Jack
10-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Parky, why are you always thinking about the "back door"?

Oblio2
10-20-2008, 11:45 AM
All the more reason for MLS to raise the salary cap.

If they want the league to be taken seriously internationally, then they need to attract and keep international quality players, and not just one DP per team. They need well rounded squads with domestic and international talent, as well as a healthy mix of experience and youth. If a player like Robbo leaves the league simply because of money, then clearly the league isn't seeing the flaws in their own policies.

and isn't there some backdoor way for MLSE to players happy? I'm sure some retired teacher who has shares in MLSE owns a nice house in Oakville that a play and family could live in rent free. There's got to be something happening off the books to keep them happy.

With all due respect, 300k a year is nothing to turn your nose up at, plus I am sure he gets some perks. With that said, I bed he could make a lot, lot more back home.

Stencils
10-20-2008, 11:48 AM
This news about Robbo really has me down. If we can't keep at least 9 or 10 of our starting 11 (including our main contributors like Robbo) around for the next season, I can't really say I would expect a marked improvement over this season.

It kinda seems to me that some players treat a year or two in the MLS as a sort of extended North American vacation? Then back home. I dunno. I really hope Robbo stays. He's always seemed in the interviews he gives to be a very intelligent and knowledgeable player and losing that will hurt us in midfield significantly.

Parkdale
10-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Parky, why are you always thinking about the "back door"?

sheesh.

http://blogs.suburbanchicagonews.com/napersports/RodneyDangerfield_Album_no_respect.jpg

SLBuu
10-20-2008, 11:55 AM
so thats Dichio, Robbo and Ricketts that are unsure of coming back next year!

CoachGT
10-20-2008, 11:56 AM
With all due respect, 300k a year is nothing to turn your nose up at, plus I am sure he gets some perks. With that said, I bed he could make a lot, lot more back home.

He's said as much in a couple of interviews this year, back when there was speculation that he'd be headed back overseas. The travel back and forth for internationals may be one of the things in play here, too. He can get better coin back home, not have to travel as far, but he loses the anonimity that he has here - he can actually go to the store without being recognized (except for supporters) and the cost of living here is pretty favorable.

I hope he stays, but understand if he doesn't. But it leaves one hell of a hole in the roster.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Ouch...

So much for people's arguement of 'we don't need another DM because we have Robbo'.

if he has kids in school here, he would have to either pull themn out at the xmas break and start over again back in england in the new year, could the kids adapt that kick or wait till the school years ends in june
then go, but the mls season will already under way? I think Robinson will be around for the next season. Come on MLSE open up the wallet sign the man.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-20-2008, 12:13 PM
This news about Robbo really has me down. If we can't keep at least 9 or 10 of our starting 11 (including our main contributors like Robbo) around for the next season, I can't really say I would expect a marked improvement over this season.

It kinda seems to me that some players treat a year or two in the MLS as a sort of extended North American vacation? Then back home. I dunno. I really hope Robbo stays. He's always seemed in the interviews he gives to be a very intelligent and knowledgeable player and losing that will hurt us in midfield significantly.

i second this.
its really frustrating. we had a good finish to the season and now we might upset our players who havent been resigned.
Cmon Mo!
I do hope that the players arent asking for too much either

Ossington Mental Youth
10-20-2008, 12:15 PM
I should include fucking Carver in that list too (as being unsigned).
Och.
Really this shit should not be happening.

Fort York Redcoat
10-20-2008, 02:50 PM
I guess it's managements turn to prove they appreciate Robbo...

OneLoveOneEric
10-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Like Rocker said, and like I said before about Dichio, all of this talk right now stinks of contract time. Everyone wants to get the best deal they can, and I think we're seeing a bit of that now.
Time will tell.

Jeff s
10-20-2008, 03:26 PM
so thats Dichio, Robbo and Ricketts that are unsure of coming back next year!
Errr did I miss something here????

As for Robbo, it would be a blow if he leaves.

THA BUTCHA
10-20-2008, 03:27 PM
meh....

:)

johnmolinaro
10-20-2008, 03:37 PM
It was very hard to get a read on him when I was talking to him about what he was going to do.

As I wrote, he absolutely loves it here - not just playing for Toronto, but living in Canada.

That said, he has a family with two young children to consider and wants to do what's right for them, not just his career, so it'll be interesting what he decides.

If he does leave, it'll be a huge loss for the club...

Not just on the field (I know he divides opinion, but for me I think he's been Toronto's best and most consistent player this season) and in the locker-room (nobody, and I mean nobody, has more respect amongst the boys in the locker-room than Robo - not even Brennan).

John

Broadview
10-20-2008, 04:10 PM
I'd like to see just how far he gets with a 34 year old man gripping fiercely onto his leg and crying "Don't go! don't go!".

Harumph.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-20-2008, 04:13 PM
this might pave the way for that exHibbies guy...

morgank1986
10-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Errr did I miss something here????

As for Robbo, it would be a blow if he leaves.

I spoke to Ricketts after saturday's game and asked him about being with the TFC next year. He responded with "maybe."

Carts
10-20-2008, 04:33 PM
One thing must happen with the players that are debating leaving / not returning next season - they MUST make their decision before the expansion draft list is submitted (unless it already is - I know nothing about that process)...

We can't be sitting here protecting Robbo, Dichio & Ricketts, have another player left available, only to have them leave...

Nothing against the guys who are leaving for whatever reason - but in your exit PLEASE do whats right for the team and decide this before we have to submit that list...

Carts...

TFC OZZ
10-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Just a thought, how's Marc Bircham doing at Yeovil town these days? A profile i read said he had in injury prone season, but is looking fit for a good return... If Robbo goes, could he possibly be the kind of replacement that we are looking for??

ManUtd4ever
10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
I echo John's sentiments in that Robbo's departure would be an absolutely devastating loss to the franchise. It seems that he is very comfortable with the team and the city on a personal level. I sincerely hope his family has adapted to the city as well so that he can continue to be an integral leader for TFC in the locker room as well as the on the pitch for years to come...

Keyman
10-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Here comes this news, and we still don't have a chant for him :(

The loss of Robinson would be absolutely huge.

Man, now I'm just really pissed. Damnnnnnn

Obviously we have to support Robinson and his family, he has had a tough time with his children, so you can't blame the guy for putting family first. In fact, anyone that challenges him putting family first should give their head a shake.

Oblio2
10-20-2008, 06:48 PM
meh....

:)

HA HA HA...Cobra Commander. You crack me up

andyc
10-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Wouldn't Robinson's older kid be about old enough to start school pretty soon?? It might be tough to change to the UK system in a few years time... Easier to get it done now...

Oblio2
10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
I think the English education system pales in comparison to here

andyc
10-20-2008, 08:58 PM
I think the English education system pales in comparison to here

i Whent fru it n I turmed ooot awlright.... :noidea: :D

Seriously it's fairly hit and miss just like here but my point was that they probably don't want to switch systems if he returns to the UK at the end of his career. Tough on the kids...

pepher
10-20-2008, 09:22 PM
c'mon Carl, don't go!

arsenal
10-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Would be a damn shame to lose Robbo but if he is looking out for his family I can't fault him. Can't blame MLSE if he leaves though ... he is basically being paid max non-DP $. As great as he is for the team .... he is not DP calibre.

scooterTFC
10-20-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm a huge Robbo fan. I think he's been our most consistent player for the past 2 years. Sentiment and loyalty aside, MLS has a tight salary cap and Robbo's our team's highest paid player, as a defensive mid. How many other teams in the league have $300-$400K of cap space tied up with DM? Look around the league, very few teams are spending big dollars on this type of player (maybe Revs with Joseph).

The painful truth is, Mo probably needs to think about re-allocating these cap dollar’s towards other needs if the team is going to progress. Two options that jump to mind are :
a) 1 player - a proven attacking player who can score
b) 2 players - A cheaper holding midfielder and upgrade at center back

I think we should give Mo a little credit. 2 years ago, finding and signing a solid defensive-mid like Robbo to anchor the midfield of a new expansion team was a great move. Strategically speaking, it was probably a smart to over-invest cap dollars in this position while your building the roster for an expansion team.

Robbo’s done the job as well as anyone could have asked him to. He's been a good ball winner in the midfield and his distribution has always been consistent and safe, (if he has a weakness, you could argue, that, he should take more risks and be more aggressive/ambitious with his distribution moving forward).

I think we absolutely need a player like Robbo on our roster – but for cap reasons maybe that player needs to do the job for $150k-$200k instead of $300k+.

The truth hurts....

Yohan
10-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Robbo is 32... he's got about 2 yrs at DM before the years catch up to him.

I'd love to see Robbo for another year at least, but if a sufficient replacement can be found, I don't mind him going.

However, not many in MLS can be found as good as DM as Robbo... And gotta consider moving one of the leaders in the team and it's impact as well

Keyman
10-20-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm a huge Robbo fan. I think he's been our most consistent player for the past 2 years. Sentiment and loyalty aside, MLS has a tight salary cap and Robbo's our team's highest paid player, as a defensive mid. How many other teams in the league have $300-$400K of cap space tied up with DM? Look around the league, very few teams are spending big dollars on this type of player (maybe Revs with Joseph).

The painful truth is, Mo probably needs to think about re-allocating these cap dollar’s towards other needs if the team is going to progress. Two options that jump to mind are :
a) 1 player - a proven attacking player who can score
b) 2 players - A cheaper holding midfielder and upgrade at center back

I think we should give Mo a little credit. 2 years ago, finding and signing a solid defensive-mid like Robbo to anchor the midfield of a new expansion team was a great move. Strategically speaking, it was probably a smart to over-invest cap dollars in this position while your building the roster for an expansion team.

Robbo’s done the job as well as anyone could have asked him to. He's been a good ball winner in the midfield and his distribution has always been consistent and safe, (if he has a weakness, you could argue, that, he should take more risks and be more aggressive/ambitious with his distribution moving forward).

I think we absolutely need a player like Robbo on our roster – but for cap reasons maybe that player needs to do the job for $150k-$200k instead of $300k+.

The truth hurts....

I would 100% agree with this if we didn't have such a large amount of allocation money. I think we can afford a player like Robbo at 300k with the amount of extra money that we will have.

bignickel
10-20-2008, 10:22 PM
He's said as much in a couple of interviews this year, back when there was speculation that he'd be headed back overseas. The travel back and forth for internationals may be one of the things in play here, too. He can get better coin back home, not have to travel as far, but he loses the anonimity that he has here - he can actually go to the store without being recognized (except for supporters) and the cost of living here is pretty favorable.

I hope he stays, but understand if he doesn't. But it leaves one hell of a hole in the roster.

anonimity here? i'll bet he can walk all of downtown cardiff and be less recognized than the gta.
at 300k a season we can definitely find a strong holding mid replacement, and one with alot more offensive prowess to boot.
he is strong when defending and on the quick pass, but definetely has a hard time building the play.
he has been good, but has also been well rewarded in his salary.
i'm calling his bluff, not much in the u.k is looking for non-playoff mls mids.

Oblio2
10-20-2008, 10:22 PM
i Whent fru it n I turmed ooot awlright.... :noidea: :D

Seriously it's fairly hit and miss just like here but my point was that they probably don't want to switch systems if he returns to the UK at the end of his career. Tough on the kids...

I did too. Left Comprehensive at 16, went to College. (Moved here at 18-in 1993)
I do however think the education system is superior here.

andyc
10-20-2008, 10:23 PM
I would 100% agree with this if we didn't have such a large amount of allocation money. I think we can afford a player like Robbo at 300k with the amount of extra money that we will have.

Plus we need leaders out there and Robbo is clearly a leader... If it's his choice due to family reasons then fair enough. Otherwise we should do everything possible to keep him.

andyc
10-20-2008, 10:30 PM
I did too. Left Comprehensive at 16, went to College. (Moved here at 18-in 1993)
I do however think the education system is superior here.

I did the same but moved here in 1996 at age of 27. I have two kids going through the system over here right now and my Mum was a teacher for 30+ years in the UK...

IMHO I think that the schools have a more rounded focus over here but don't think that they are academically quite as strong. Also as I said things are hit and miss on a school by school basis...

But back to the Robbo discussion. Should he stay or should he go? This indecision's killin' me... :noidea:

Mojo
10-20-2008, 10:56 PM
"my family loves it here, but I have to do what's right for my family"

Anyone else find this comment weird?

scooterTFC
10-20-2008, 11:08 PM

Good point. If the allocation $$ provide enough cap relief to keep him and address the teams other needs, then I hope he wants to stay and I hope Mo makesaneffort to retain him. Like I said, - I'm huge Robbo fan. In my eyes there's no question that he was the teams MVP this year and last.

I guess my point is, if cap money is actually an issue - then I'll understand if Mo has to make the un-popular decision to cut him lose. I’m guessing that cap constraints are the reason that many teams fill holding mid role with a lower cost domestic player. Just one salary comparison to get you thinking - Kyle Beckermen is good example of a better than average MLS holding mid - he makes about $125k to Robbo's $330k. I like Robbo's game alot more then Beckermen's... but in a cap league that's a huge premium to pay.

Jack
10-20-2008, 11:14 PM
"my family loves it here, but I have to do what's right for my family"

Anyone else find this comment weird?

It's funny, but I kind of understand that, having lived in another country that I loved with my family. We loved it there and we had good friends who were great people, but it's the rest of the family you miss, especially when you have little kids. Grandma, Grandpa, uncles, aunts, etc...

sidvan
10-21-2008, 03:52 AM
noooooo! robbo got my vote for RPB man of the year
we really can't afford to lose him and his great sliding tackles

pepher
10-21-2008, 05:15 AM
HERE, HERE! TFC Player of the Year! Now he has to stay!

LucaGol
10-21-2008, 05:32 AM
Bye Robbo ... we can do a lot with your 300k

T_Mizz
10-21-2008, 05:25 PM
We could do a lot but I think he might be slightly better than what we could do with the cash.

LucaGol
10-21-2008, 09:50 PM
We could do a lot but I think he might be slightly better than what we could do with the cash.

Shalrie Joseph
Luciano Emilio
Javi Morales
Ricardo Clark
Justin Mapp
Chris Rolfe
Kenny Cooper
Dwayne De Rosario
Brad Davis

Ya ... I guess you're right ... :rolleyes:

CretanBull
10-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Shalrie Joseph
Luciano Emilio
Javi Morales
Ricardo Clark
Justin Mapp
Chris Rolfe
Kenny Cooper
Dwayne De Rosario
Brad Davis

Ya ... I guess you're right ... :rolleyes:

And they're all willing to play in Canada, on plastic for a last place team?

Roogsy
10-21-2008, 10:15 PM
^ Always conveniently overlooked my friend...

LucaGol
10-21-2008, 10:30 PM
And they're all willing to play in Canada, on plastic for a last place team?

Wow ... are you an insider?

Are all these people on your facebook?

I guess they must be if you know that none of them would want to play in Canada for 315K ... currently more than they all are making right now (save DDR.)

Roogsy
10-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Are you saying these are not obstacles to bringing in players? You throw their names out there like it's as simple as showing them Robbo's salary to get them here. Armchair quarterbacking is always so much fun...

Exhibit A, Darren Huckerby.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-22-2008, 12:54 AM
Wow ... are you an insider?

Are all these people on your facebook?

I guess they must be if you know that none of them would want to play in Canada for 315K ... currently more than they all are making right now (save DDR.)

Emilio has DP status, so I assume he’s on more than 315k.

Jack
10-22-2008, 09:21 AM
It's funny how around the rest of the league Robbo is rated as one of the top DMs in the league, but here in Toronto, our own resident expert LucaGol thinks Robbo's crap.:rolleyes:

Canadian Blue
10-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Ibet Robbo will be gone for sure and maybe even Ricketts and good for them both. Dichio I think will stay as a player but if the team makes no impressive player moves he may be tempted back to a lower division 1 team.

LucaGol
10-22-2008, 11:28 AM
It's funny how around the rest of the league Robbo is rated as one of the top DMs in the league, but here in Toronto, our own resident expert LucaGol thinks Robbo's crap.:rolleyes:

2 things when making a point:

1. Get the facts straight

2. Relating to # 1, don't make a statement you can't support with evidence

This is a merry-go round with this debate ...

I never said Robbo was crap, I never said we could obtain any one of those players I listed simply because we have the money.

I provided their names to show what type of player we could potentially have for the money that Mr. Robinson is earning. That's all people.

And secondly, who are all these pundits that rate Carl Robinson so highly ... Ives Galarcep? ... Shep Messing? ... Max Bretos? ... who? ... give me a break.

Robbo can stay, just so as long he renogotiates his contract to about 150K a year. If the salary cap goes up ... great .. maybe he'll deserve more.

Geez, this is such a touchy issue ... I mean what the hell. Do you not want our team to improve in the offensive categories ... do you not want to see an attractive football style from our team? Is Hector Cuper and Otto Rehagel in charge of this forum? We have a finite amount of funds and we have to spend them as wisely as possible. We shouldn't be spending almost 17-20% of the cap on a player who adds nothing but ball winning characteristics and team leadership (which is still debateable considering many factors that Im not privy to)

Jack
10-22-2008, 11:32 AM
2 things when making a point:

1. Get the facts straight

2. Relating to # 1, don't make a statement you can't support with evidence

This is a merry-go round with this debate ...

I never said Robbo was crap, I never said we could obtain any one of those players I listed simply because we have the money.

I provided their names to show what type of player we could potentially have for the money that Mr. Robinson is earning. That's all people.

And secondly, who are all these pundits that rate Carl Robinson so highly ... Ives Galarcep? ... Shep Messing? ... Max Bretos? ... who? ... give me a break.

Robbo can stay, just so as long he regoniates his contracts to about 150K a year. If the salary cap goes up ... great .. maybe he'll deserve more.

Geez, this is such a touchy issue ... I mean what the hell. Do you not want our team to improve in the offensive categories ... do you not want to see an attractive football style from our team? Is Hector Cuper and Otto Rehagel in charge of this forum?

What does who's in charge of the forum have to do with things?

You may not appreciate their opinion, but they're the analysts that cover the league. Perhaps you should apply for one of their jobs.

LucaGol
10-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Let's put it this way ... whom would you rather have on your team given the option ... let's imagine we're in a pretend land where any player can be acquired and that we only had 315K to spend ...

Carl Robinson or Javi Morales

Carl Robinson or Fred

Carl Robinson or Justin Mapp

Carl Robinson or Ricardo Clark

Honestly ..

H Bomb
10-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Maybe Javi Morales but only if he keeps up the form we saw in this his first year in the league. I'd take Robbo over the other three. And defensive mid is a vital position. So is an attacking player but if you underpay for DM then you get left open and your offensive players can't play their games. There's no use trying to replace him with an offensive concept. It's obvious you think he's paid too much...I, as well as many others here think you are dead wrong. Robbo was the best player on our team this year...would it not be appropriate that he be paid the most?

LucaGol
10-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Maybe Javi Morales but only if he keeps up the form we saw in this his first year in the league. I'd take Robbo over the other three. And defensive mid is a vital position. So is an attacking player but if you underpay for DM then you get left open and your offensive players can't play their games. There's no use trying to replace him with an offensive concept. It's obvious you think he's paid too much...I, as well as many others here think you are dead wrong. Robbo was the best player on our team this year...would it not be appropriate that he be paid the most?

First off ... that's very questionable .. it's probably a toss up between Robbo, Guevara, Dichio (even through the injuries) and Sutton.

Secondly ... what skills are more difficult to teach to a human being and thus what is more rare ... defensive qualities or an offensively gifted player? Answer that question and which is a more rare quality to find and you've also answered the question of who should earn more money.

Jack
10-22-2008, 11:48 AM
First off ... that's very questionable .. it's probably a toss up between Robbo, Guevara, Dichio (even through the injuries) and Sutton.

Secondly ... what skills are more difficult to teach to a human being and thus what is more rare ... defensive qualities or an offensively gifted player? Answer that question and which is a more rare quality to find and you've also answered the question of who should earn more money.

That's arguable.

A football brain is a hard thing to teach. Leadership...some have it, some don't.

Football gifts come at all positions. Fabio Cannavaro won player of the year for a reason.

LucaGol
10-22-2008, 11:50 AM
That's arguable.

A football brain is a hard thing to teach. Leadership...some have it, some don't.

Football gifts come at all positions. Fabio Cannavaro won player of the year for a reason.

If Jack is the GM and the salary cap doesn't increase ... would you resign Carl Robinson at 313K a year?

I know you're probably going to say yes ... but think about it honestly and think about all the other problems that we have on our team.

Jack
10-22-2008, 12:00 PM
If Jack is the GM and the salary cap doesn't increase ... would you resign Carl Robinson at 313K a year?

I know you're probably going to say yes ... but think about it honestly and think about all the other problems that we have on our team.
There are so many factors to consider before making that decision (if I were GM) that I can't even give you an honest answer.

My desire would be to re-sign him, given the contribution he makes.

If you had a chance for someone like Makelele or Mahamadou Diarra to be your DP (both mainly DMs) would you sign them?

H Bomb
10-22-2008, 12:03 PM
There are some people who just feel the game. Have a tactical mind. If you watch Robbo he will know what he will do with the ball long before it ever gets to him. Sure once or twice a game he'll miss a pass and give it away, that's why he doesn't play for a top club, but he is a tactically gifted player in my mind and that is an important part of a young developing squad.

Yohan
10-22-2008, 12:06 PM
There is a reason why top teams ensure to have one DM playing games. Gilberto Silva, Makelele, Alonso, Pirlo, etc. And they do make the big bucks, for a good darn reason too

Jack
10-22-2008, 12:09 PM
There is a reason why top teams ensure to have one DM playing games. Gilberto Silva, Makelele, Alonso, Pirlo, etc. And they do make the big bucks, for a good darn reason too

Good point, but I wouldn't include Alonso or Pirlo as true DM's. Gattuso usually does the dirty work for Pirlo, who's the deep-lying playmaker. Alonso is more of a hybrid as well.

Yohan
10-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Good point, but I wouldn't include Alonso or Pirlo as true DM's. Gattuso usually does the dirty work for Pirlo, who's the deep-lying playmaker. Alonso is more of a hybrid as well.
you get my point ;)

Jack
10-22-2008, 12:13 PM
you get my point ;)
Yup :D

Nuvinho
10-22-2008, 12:21 PM
So if Robbo leaves (I hope not), would you be upset if he is replaced by Gerard (not Gerrard, but Spanish Gerard), for the same money??

Jack
10-22-2008, 12:22 PM
So if Robbo leaves (I hope not), would you be upset if he is replaced by Gerard (not Gerrard, but Spanish Gerard), for the same money??
Ex-Barcelona Gerard?

Hmm...he's got the ability.

Nuvinho
10-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Ex-Barcelona Gerard?

yeah, I think he has been reported to be approached by a team to play in MLS.

Even if we keep Robbo, I would love to see him play here, b/c he is a very good passer, which is something we lacked this year.

Jack
10-22-2008, 12:32 PM
yeah, I think he has been reported to be approached by a team to play in MLS.

Even if we keep Robbo, I would love to see him play here, b/c he is a very good passer, which is something we lacked this year.
Indeed he is. As long as he keeps his head in the game.

At Barca, he was just in over his head. Rijkaard threw him to the wolves in the CL.

Yohan
10-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Ex-Barcelona Gerard?

And younger... Will get few more years out of him than Robbo who is at the age where he will decline as a player