PDA

View Full Version : beer throwers ticket right to be revoked?

Mikey
10-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Laws favor teams in revoking ticket rights (http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/60348)
Sports Business Journal (subscription), NC - 3 hours ago
Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC is considering whether or not to pull ticket privileges from fans who threw cups of beer at an opposing team’s players ...

Does anyone here have access to this sports journal wire, to get the rest of this article?
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.preview&articleid=60348

I'd like to see if there's any details on what if the seat was scalped? Can we use this to get rid of scalpers seats if they sell to asshats?

flatpicker
10-20-2008, 09:51 AM
hmmm... I'd be interested in the rest of that article too!

anyone... anyone???

Bueller? Bueller??? Bueller???

Parkdale
10-20-2008, 09:58 AM
calling McCartney....

Heathen
10-20-2008, 10:20 AM
moral of the story is, be careful who you give your tickets to

SLBuu
10-20-2008, 10:22 AM
honestly.... its seems like they have no other choice but to do this.

Parkdale
10-20-2008, 10:23 AM
I tried searching out the article though another source, but with no luck.

olegunnar
10-20-2008, 11:26 AM
bugmenot is no help either

Parkdale
10-20-2008, 11:27 AM
^ tried that one right away

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-20-2008, 11:46 AM
honestly.... its seems like they have no other choice but to do this.

the only other option would be for a dry supporters section. And that would be unfair to the folks who like a beer and don;'t throw it on the field.. TFC should put the ticket holders names on the tickets if someacts up then the seat HOLDER loses those seats. If a scalper sees to a loonie that throws beer and loses his seats, then maybe a real supporter couls move in and grab those seats..??

brad
10-20-2008, 12:21 PM
the only other option would be for a dry supporters section.?

There's a third option - nets.

BuSaPuNk
10-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Then theres the best option. Only card carrying members can sit in the supporters section. If you bring guests that is fine. But if they do any stupidity like these idiots then you lose your membership rights and so on. I know it's a little extreme but that IMO is the only real way to control this. It would also weed out the scalpers aswell.

redcard
10-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Then theres the best option. Only card carrying members can sit in the supporters section. If you bring guests that is fine. But if they do any stupidity like these idiots then you lose your membership rights and so on. I know it's a little extreme but that IMO is the only real way to control this. It would also weed out the scalpers aswell.

true but what if someone bought the tickets off of the TFC ticket exchange?

BuSaPuNk
10-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Well that can be worked out between the supporters groups. IMO supporters section tickets shouldn't even be on the ticket exchange. They should be sold here and through other supporters websites to fellow supporters. This is what I like now on our ticket exchange, most of the tickets sold here are now being sold to fellow supporters. If you do however sell or give your tickets to a non card carrying supporter you would have to have them with a signed proxy or wavier from the actual member. It's too bad this is alot of work and more babysitting than anything else but unfortunatley IMO that is what we have to do.

olegunnar
10-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Apparently the ticker holders that are talked about threw beer on the 13th against the KKKrew.

Saw that on another preview version of the article.

Parkdale
10-20-2008, 01:07 PM
tighter control of access to the section - doesn't stop people from throwing beer
no beer allowed in the south end - people will throw other things (a pizza slice is cheaper than beer)

there will always be people who break rules, and it will only hurt the rest of the people in the section.

if the day comes where BMO looks like this... we'll have gone too far to fix things.

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/3756/gr30vs.jpg

BuSaPuNk
10-20-2008, 01:19 PM
I agree you can't really stop it. But restricting access to the section to true supporters only might get the beer throwing idiots out. Hopefully Parky it doesn't come to that.

Parkdale
10-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I agree you can't really stop it. But restricting access to the section to true supporters only might get the beer throwing idiots out.

unfortunately.... people with tickets have thrown beers despite knowing better. It happens.

adamdz
10-20-2008, 01:31 PM
I agree you can't really stop it. But restricting access to the section to true supporters only might get the beer throwing idiots out. Hopefully Parky it doesn't come to that.

Then the idiot throws beer from non supporter section. Idiot problem not solved.

BuSaPuNk
10-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah I guess that is true. I think the whole throwing issue has really died down and really isn't a big issue now. I think the issue IMO is getting the supporters section into what it says it is....a Supporters Section. That means weeding out the scalpers and non supporters. I guess that is only really cause I know there are tonnes of us that are biting at the bit to get in there and it is being wasted by a bunch of dumb dumbs. :(

Kurt
10-20-2008, 04:34 PM
I think the issue IMO is getting the supporters section into what it says it is....a Supporters Section. That means weeding out the scalpers and non supporters. I guess that is only really cause I know there are tonnes of us that are biting at the bit to get in there and it is being wasted by a bunch of dumb dumbs. :(

As much as I hate scalpers to they've been my only way into the supporters section for the past two years. I think its pretty impossible to seperate the supporters from the scalpers also. I've purchased tickets on the south side from supporters who post on this board and the u-sector for DOUBLE the face value. I bought two tickets in the U Sector on Saturday. The pair cost me 120 dollars. As much as people like to bitch about scalpers, I've found that many supporters wont hesitate to sell hot tickets for profit.

Carts
10-20-2008, 04:35 PM
calling McCartney....

I asked around - no dice on a password for the site here... :(

Sorry lads...
Carts...

Sonny Cheeba
10-20-2008, 04:38 PM
As much as I hate scalpers to they've been my only way into the supporters section for the past two years. I think its pretty impossible to seperate the supporters from the scalpers also. I've purchased tickets on the south side from supporters who post on this board and the u-sector for DOUBLE the face value. I bought two tickets in the U Sector on Saturday. The pair cost me 120 dollars. As much as people like to bitch about scalpers, I've found that many supporters wont hesitate to sell hot tickets for profit.

man. sounds like you're just terrible at finding good priced tickets. i've only paid 10 bucks above face because it was a ticketexchange ticket.

got into 112 for 21 bucks plus paypal fee ~ 23.50 total.

and no i'm not lucky or anything. i just happen to be persistent so i don't get my balls ripped off.

almost sounds like you're giving scalpers credit for the "service" they provide. if someone from USector is ripping you off, don't buy tickets from them. look elsewhere. even craigslist and kijiji have cheap tickets on gameday.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
10-20-2008, 04:48 PM
[quote=BuSaPuNk;233409]Then theres the best option. Only card carrying members can sit in the supporters section. If you bring guests that is fine. But if they do any stupidity like these idiots then you lose your membership rights and so on. I know it's a little extreme but that IMO is the only real way to control this. It would also weed out the scalpers aswell.[/qutoe]

agree 100% however ppl shuddnt have to pay then

Kurt
10-20-2008, 06:00 PM
almost sounds like you're giving scalpers credit for the "service" they provide. if someone from USector is ripping you off, don't buy tickets from them. look elsewhere. even craigslist and kijiji have cheap tickets on gameday.

Im not saying that at all. What I am saying is dont be naive and think that "supporters" arnt sometimes scalping tickets themselves.

Sonny Cheeba
10-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Im not saying that at all. What I am saying is dont be naive and think that "supporters" arnt sometimes scalping tickets themselves.

yeah fine. people sell tickets for more, i get it..sorry if i was too taken by your first sentence. i just don't like when people come on here and say its their "only way" to get into the supporters section. you choose to pay the premium. plenty of people on here in the ticket trader sell them for face value or even cheaper. in fact. it's quite naive of you to say it's your only way. especially considering that tickets were being sold for below face in 111 the night before saturday's game.

i agree. people, even supporters will be dickish enough to try to turn a profit on their tickets. but it's not your only choice. you'll find cheap tickets, trust me.

s2cazz
10-20-2008, 07:23 PM
I agree... I live in windsor and the only way I can ever get tickets to the supporters section is through scalpers.... I have to buy my tickets atleast a couple of weeks in advance because I also have to book a hotel room and make plans to be sure that there is people to come with me...If the scalpers didn't have the tickets I would never get into the supporters section. I bought my tickets for the fire game last weekend for $134 a piece and thats about all I could find that was in the supporter section...the guy behind me even said it was hit or miss with our seats because the scalpers had them and he was glad that there was people sitting there that were real supporters but I would never had even been in the supporters section if it wasn't for the scalper I bought them from

AL-MO
10-20-2008, 08:30 PM

We do not sell above face value on this board. Those are the rules, and if anyone attempts to they are usually dealt with quickly.

Kurt
10-20-2008, 10:19 PM
i just don't like when people come on here and say its their "only way" to get into the supporters section. you choose to pay the premium. plenty of people on here in the ticket trader sell them for face value or even cheaper. in fact. it's quite naive of you to say it's your only way. especially considering that tickets were being sold for below face in 111 the night before saturday's game.

i agree. people, even supporters will be dickish enough to try to turn a profit on their tickets. but it's not your only choice. you'll find cheap tickets, trust me.

your right. perhaps a better choice of words would have been more "convenient way". I appreciate the fact that many members of the board post tickets for face on the site so fans can buy them. I didnt have time to trol this site all week in the hopes of grabbing tickets for the last game of the season so I happily paid the premium to sit were I wanted to sit.

Oldtimer
10-21-2008, 07:44 AM
I've sold quite a few tickets over the last 2 years for matches I wasn't going to. I've never sold over face value (even the Benfica tickets which I sold on stubhub when no RPBs or U-Sector showed interest, I sold at under face value). There are many others like me who see it as a matter of principle that supporters shouldn't be ripped off. Some other RPBs have given away tickets for free (or for a beer). So don't give up and give those guys an easy profit.

I_AM_CANADIAN
10-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Laws favor teams in revoking ticket rights (http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/60348)
Sports Business Journal (subscription), NC - 3 hours ago
Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC is considering whether or not to pull ticket privileges from fans who threw cups of beer at an opposing team’s players ...

Does anyone here have access to this sports journal wire, to get the rest of this article?
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.preview&articleid=60348

I'd like to see if there's any details on what if the seat was scalped? Can we use this to get rid of scalpers seats if they sell to asshats?
I'm in favor of that.

ExiledRed
10-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Dear Mr Bailey.

I'm sorry to inform you that your decision not to give the RPB $25 has resulted in the loss of your season tickets.

We've given them to RPB and they are going to give them to 'true supporters' who unfortunately weren't around when this team first put it's season tickets on the market in 2006.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

Yours......TFC.

(P.S Thankyou for making TFC the success it is today)

Boris
10-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Dear Mr Bailey.

I'm sorry to inform you that your decision not to give the RPB $25 has resulted in the loss of your season tickets.

We've given them to RPB and they are going to give them to 'true supporters' who unfortunately weren't around when this team first put it's season tickets on the market in 2006.

Yours......TFC.

ohhh, YOUR HARDCORE!!!!! :wink:

JDG
10-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Dear Mr Bailey.

Yours......TFC.

Good to see you posting my friend. It's been too long since I've read anything from you.
If you'd like to discuss Membership, I'm open to hearing what you have to say in PMs. I really am interested. We have a meeting coming up, and I'd be happy to share your thoughts.

BritSOL
10-21-2008, 04:32 PM
OK, here is the full article

By SCOTT VAN VOORHIS (news@sportsbusinessjournal.com)
Correspondent
Published October 20, 2008 : Page 16
As teams flex their legal muscles in dealing with fan behavior issues, they face relatively few limits to their power when it comes to pulling season-ticket privileges from problem fans, legal experts say.
“It’s an application of the golden rule,” said Matt Mitten, director of the National Sports Law Institute at Marquette University. “The clubs have the gold and they make the rules.”
Whether they know it or not, fans who buy tickets, either for a single game or for a season, are entering into a legal contract, one that gives team executives broad discretion in enforcing it. Often the contract is the fine print on the back of the ticket, while sometimes, in the case of season tickets, there is an agreement or notice laying out the rules.
However, there is no need for every rule to be spelled out, especially if it involves obvious misbehavior such as fighting and drunkenness, said Andrew Beckerman-Rodau, a law professor at Suffolk University in Boston.
“The law says the only right you have is for the license, the right to sit in that seat for the performance,” Beckerman-Rodau said. “But the venue can pretty much throw you out for any reason.”
The right of teams to dispose of their tickets as they see fit has been battle-tested in court as well. The New England Patriots, in a key 2005 case, helped settle any doubts on that score. The team pulled the season tickets from a local business after one of its male associates was caught using a women’s rest room. The firm, Yarde Metals, sued, arguing that the Patriots violated their contractual right to annually renew the company’s season tickets. The court found otherwise.
“The court found there is no annual right to holding season tickets,” said Dan Fitzgerald, chairman of the Connecticut Bar Association’s Sports & Entertainment Law Section and publisher of Connecticut Sports Law.
Stacey James, a spokesman for the Patriots, declined comment.
Other teams have taken similar steps. The San Diego Chargers, for example, have revoked 700 season tickets from unruly fans since 2006 when the team launched a sweeping code of conduct to improve fan behavior. Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC is considering whether or not to pull ticket privileges from fans who threw cups of beer at an opposing team’s players during a Sept. 13 match.
Still, there are limits to how far teams can go. Teams, like other businesses, are bound by state and federal anti-discrimination statutes. Nor can teams apply the rules in an arbitrary way, revoking the tickets of one fan for foul language, for example, but letting another fan off with a warning for fighting.
For fans who have their ticket privileges revoked, finding such inconsistencies in the way their hometown team has applied the rules may be their best bet of winning in court, said Marquette’s Mitten.
“If the club is treating the exact same situation completely differently, you might have something,” Mitten said.
But it can be an uphill battle — one that team executives are confident they hold the upper hand in.
“The Red Sox have the right at any time to revoke any season-ticket license,” said Sam Kennedy, the team’s executive vice president in charge of sales and marketing. “We have the right to revoke it at any time for any reason.”
Scott Van Voorhis is a writer in Boston.

gtaguy
10-21-2008, 07:56 PM
back a couple of months ago i said it and i got drilled for saying it..
We are responsible for the ppl we sell our tickets to ..
Not that we are not allowed to sell them but we need to ensure that anyone that represents us when we are not there have to abide by the rules ...