PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Monday , Oct.20

denime
10-20-2008, 06:01 AM
There has been plenty of doom and gloom cast upon the national side as well as TFC, so let's consider some positives for both teams
By GARETH WHEELER

Everything's not lost.
You never want to use a Coldplay song to make a point, but there's truth in those lyrics, especially when it comes to soccer in this city and country.
Over the past week, doomsday-type prophecies have been cast upon the Canadian men's team after a premature elimination from World Cup qualifying.
Along the same lines, calls for restructuring surely will be directed at Toronto FC in the not-so distant future after failing to make the playoffs.
But let's look at some of the positives for both teams.....

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/10/20/7142031-sun.html)

Coach's faith in TFC's Ricketts pays off
Scores Twice; Carver 'turned my career around,' winger says
Mark Masters, National Post

TORONTO - John Carver left it as late as he possibly could. The decision to start Rohan Ricketts or Johann Smith had been something the Toronto FC coach agonized over in the lead-up to Saturday afternoon's Major League Soccer game against the playoff-bound Chicago Fire.
"Rohan was the one player, because of his recent form … that I was concerned about," Carver said. "He hasn't been creative lately and he was the one who was a big question mark."

Read more (http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=892432)

Someone to lead
Ryan Johnston

It was endearing to watch the entire Toronto FC team and front office staff congratulating one another on the field after Saturday's win over Chicago. But amid the festivities I held a silent vigil for a season lost.

It is excruciating to tally up the points TFC left on the field this summer -- points that would have secured a franchise-first playoff appearance and made the final home date at BMO a real reason to celebrate. ...

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/10/19/johnston_blog_tfc/)

http://i37.tinypic.com/wvzoy1.jpg

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

ensco
10-20-2008, 06:49 AM
I think Ryan Johnson may be right about Brennan. JB is wound very tight for a captain.

On the PK point, if Rickett's doesn't tap that in, we'd have 17 threads going about that. Why the heck was Ricketts picked to take that anyway, when you have Guevara, Barrett and Dichio out there? I might have picked Brennan before Ricketts.

Carts
10-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Why the heck was Ricketts tapped to take that anyway, when you have Guevara, Barrett and Dichio out there? I might have picked Brennan before Ricketts.

I love Jimmy B, but the last time he took a penalty he hit one that hasn't landed yet...

Rickets can hit the ball, and has some quick jump (for a rebound - which ended up being needed)...

I too was suprised it was Rickets - I thought maybe Barret so he could score against the old team in front of the away support. But maybe that was the very reason he wasn't picked, no need for the pressure...

It the end, it was in - eventually. The Chicago keeper was furious with his defence, and for very good reason. He made an excellent save, only to have the rebound tapped in...

Carts...

CoachGT
10-20-2008, 07:21 AM
I expected Barrett for the kick, but thought that he might be the reason for Chicago to wake up if (when) he made it. I'm just glad it went in! Eventually!

The Pope
10-20-2008, 07:28 AM
That first article says we should give credit to the CSA for flying our players around the world......

Were they supposed to fly themselves?

Shaughno
10-20-2008, 07:35 AM
That first article says we should give credit to the CSA for flying our players around the world......

I thought they were supposed to use the standard CSA equipped 'shoulder wings'. :noidea:

SilverSamurai
10-20-2008, 07:41 AM

It's also says JDG has maturing to do... Um ya... the best Canadian player...
suuure....

Lucky Strike
10-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Wow! Johnston makes quite a claim in saying Brennan is not the captain we need.

Oldtimer
10-20-2008, 08:21 AM
We need to win or tie next week and make certain that San Jose gets the "wooden spoon."
We won't be getting it, so we need to ensure that San Jose's draft pick that we received in the Huckerby trade is worth as much as possible. It will be the #2 pick if San Jose doesn't win. So it's more than "playing for pride."

Technorgasm
10-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Rohan Ricketts has proven bringing English players into the MLS fold doesn't always end in disappointment. Andy Welsh anyone? Ricketts initially struggled, but with John Carver's help, his creative flair and ability stood out in the second half.

WE HAVE TO KEEP #10!!

Lets destroy SJ!!

Roogsy
10-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Somebody show a replay of that PK to Colim frikkin' Samuel...yeah it was saved...but yeah...Ricketts followed it up.

Roogsy
10-20-2008, 09:27 AM

Taking a leaky slowboat to Martinique isn't exactly my idea of "world travelling"...

Oldtimer
10-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Somebody show a replay of that PK to Colim frikkin' Samuel...yeah it was saved...but yeah...Ricketts followed it up.

Samuel would have followed it up if he had been playing with a pie instead of a ball. :p

(one final pie joke to end the season with).