PDA

View Full Version : O'Brian White News

Batman
10-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Although he's not TFC... he might be soon.

O'Brian White Named Men's Soccer Lowe's Senior CLASS Award Finalist
Voting Begins Oct. 16 and concludes Nov. 19

Lowe's Senior CLASS Award Release (http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/MSoccer/2008/10/16/2008%20Soccer%20Finalists%20Release.pdf)

To Vote: Click Here (http://soccer.seniorclassaward.com/10794/playercard.aspx)

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (October 16, 2008) - Senior captain O'Brian White (Scarborough, Ont.) has been named a Top-10 finalist for the Lowe’s Senior CLASS award for his achievements in the classroom, on the field and in the community.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/MSoccer/2008/Bios/Headshots/08White_OBrian_062w.jpgFrom the initial list of 30 candidates, a national media committee selected 10 finalists for the 2008 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award in both divisions earlier this month.
These newly selected 10 names will be placed on the official ballot for a nationwide vote beginning immediately and concluding November 19. Fan balloting will be coupled with votes from coaches and media to determine the recipient of the award. Winners will be announced during the 2008 NCAA Division I Men’s Soccer Championship in Frisco, Texas on Dec. 12-14. To vote click here (http://soccer.seniorclassaward.com/10794/playercard.aspx).
These individuals qualified based on their dedication and achievement in four areas: Classroom, Character, Community, and Competition. The Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award is distinctive from many other honors in that on-the-field performance is only one factor in determining candidacy – a major emphasis is placed on off-the-field commitments and personal character.
In the classroom, White has made significant strides in the classroom since his initial enrollment at the University of Connecticut in the fall of 2005. A sociology major, White has aspirations of giving back to his local community in positive ways through community based organizations which teach youngsters life skills and promote self esteem through academic and athletic achievement. On track to graduate in December of 2008, after only 3 ½ years, White is looking forward to these opportunities to change the landscape and futures of young people in both his native Jamaica and his hometown of Scarborough, Ontario.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/MSoccer/2008/Images/2008%20Images/OB_Dartmouth_1.jpgAs one of four captains of the 2008 men’s soccer team, White is heavily involved in the Leadership Council and believes in giving back to the both the campus and community who support him both on and off the field of play. White acts as the liaison to the Student Athlete Advisory Committee and is always in a position to assist the University, his teammates, his coaching staff, his peers and the residents of the local community. Having had the opportunity to be recognized for his play on the field following the 2007 season, White understands his place as a role model within the greater campus and Storrs community. He is always willing to meet new people and interacts positively with students and fans. He is cognizant that youth learn from the people around them and his outgoing and contagious personality, along with his willingness to stop for photographs, go out of his way to sign autographs or respond to email, is a true testament to his character.

Throughout his academic career at the University of Connecticut, he has been involved with the Husky Sport program. Husky Sport is a University sponsored program that connects UCONN students and student-athletes with urban youths through school-based, after school, and summer activities. Husky Sport’s goal is to expose these youths to a variety of sports and physical activity. While involved in sport and physical activity, participants are also assisted in developing healthier lifestyles and forming positive relationships. White’s participation with this group has heavily influenced his career choice and academic pursuits. In addition to his time working with Husky Sport, White also volunteered at the 2008 Special Olympics and has spent countless hours engaged in activities with local youths, from doing small group soccer training and foot skill sessions to engaging in informative talks about his experiences as a student and athlete at a Division I institution.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/MSoccer/2008/Images/2008%20Images/0809_White_370.jpgAs a junior in 2007 White was named the 2007 M.A.C. Hermann Trophy winner after having played and started in all 24 games, averaging 79 minutes per contest. White led all NCAA Division I men's scorers in points with 53 and goals with 23, including six in postseason. He was selected as the BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Year and was also a unanimous choice on the all-conference first team after earning conference Player of the Week honors five times during the season. Throughout the season White enjoyed seven multi-goal efforts, including three hat tricks to become the first player in UConn history to tally back-to-back hat tricks, as well as three in a career. He holds school record for goals in a season and stands in eighth all-time with 101 career points (40g, 21a). Following his junior year, White was the recipient of numerous awards, from the Connecticut Junior Soccer Association Connecticut Athlete of the Year to being recognized by the Connecticut Sports Writers Association. As a senior, White has been selected as a preseason All-American and was named to the Mac Hermann Trophy watch list for the 2008 season. So far this season, White leads the Huskies with six goals and 14 points.
To vote for White for the Lowe's Senior CLASS Award winner click here (http://soccer.seniorclassaward.com/10794/playercard.aspx).

ensco
10-19-2008, 08:00 PM
I hope everyone realizes that he's going to play for Jamaica, and not Canada.

There's been a lot of hype about him on these boards for a long time. We should draft him because he's the best available, and for no other reason.

arsenal
10-19-2008, 08:05 PM
I hope everyone realizes that he's going to play for Jamaica, and not Canada.

There's been a lot of hype about him on these boards for a long time. We should draft him because he's the best available, and for no other reason.

No one cares whether he plays for Canada or Jamaica. From his time living in Canada, he would qualify as a domestic player for TFC roster purposes and that is what people are excited about.

Batman
10-19-2008, 08:08 PM
I don't really care what country he plays for. He sounds like he'd be a credit to TFC.

UCONN however was ranked 1 or 2 in pre season polls and are now down to 20th. White has about half of his teams goals. I have no idea whether he's on TFC's radar or nor, nor whether he actually should be.

BTW, theres a few links in the post where you can vote in case any of you would like to help him out.

Dirk Diggler
10-19-2008, 09:11 PM
I don't give a crap if he plays for Jamaica. If he is a good player, he could play for Afghanistan for all I care.

SilverSamurai
10-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Please, like you guys wouldn't be happy if he said he was playing for the CMNT.But nice he would count as a domestic on the TFC squad.

Batman
10-20-2008, 09:14 AM
I can't speak for the others, but sure, I'd prefer a guy like this to play for Canada than for Jamaica. But I posted the original message because rumours have it that he could very well end up with TFC.

greatwhitenorf
10-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Expect Professor to turn up soon with the real-deal analysis. Knows his stuff in this dept.

White hasn't played yet for the senior J team, has he? Isn't it still possible to have him receive Canadian eligibility?

Shaughno
10-20-2008, 01:08 PM
I believe you are correct in that he hasn't played for the Senior Jamaica team, to my knowledge anyway.

Prof... where are you?! :lol:

Broadview
10-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Big Bruva made it pretty clear on here a while ago that O'Brian considers himself Jamican.

But if he's MLS quality and qualifies as Canadian, then I would love to see him in TFC red. If it's a toss up between OB and another standout player, and even if the other guys has a bit of an edge in talent or is GA, we'll need more "canadians". There's likely to be another Canadian MLS team soon and our extra international slots won't last forever. Then there's all this 6+5 fifa crap floating around...I just think we gotta lock up any decent "Canadians" we can.

Shaughno
10-20-2008, 02:16 PM
^^ Personally, from TFC's perspective. I don't give a fuck who he chooses. He's already eligable to be a domestic play for us, is he not? I see no downsides.

JonO
10-20-2008, 02:25 PM
^^ Personally, from TFC's perspective. I don't give a fuck who he chooses. He's already eligable to be a domestic play for us, is he not? I see no downsides.
That how I understand it too, but I don't know if that's been verified.

Broadview
10-20-2008, 02:34 PM

The quotations weren't meant in any disrespectful way. From what I understand the kid mostly grew up in Jamaica and went to high school here. If he picked Canada, loyal Jamaicans would get all upset and accuse him of being just another Owen Hargreaves or Jonathan de Guzman :)

If he's as good as his credentials indicate and at least qualifies as "Canadian" the same way Amado counts as an "American" on paper, then you're right, there isn't really is no downside. That's sorta what I was getting at.

Shaughno
10-20-2008, 02:36 PM
I didn't mean to make it seem like it was directed at you, but really, I don't give a fuck who he plays for Internationally, when I'm thinking solely about TFC. As I am in this instance. ;)

TicTacTabarnack
10-20-2008, 02:43 PM
(stupid comment alert) Let's sign him solely on the fact that he has 2 last names ... O'Brian and White!

If this guy goes first or second overall in the draft ... we're not getting him. Hello Seattle or San Jose!

Frick
10-20-2008, 02:45 PM
(stupid comment alert) Let's sign him solely on the fact that he has 2 last names ... O'Brian and White!

If this guy goes first or second overall in the draft ... we're not getting him. Hello Seattle or San Jose!

We have San Jose's pick from the Ronnie O'Brien trade.

Shaughno
10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
We have San Jose's pick from the Ronnie O'Brien trade.

Yup, unless Seattle picks him up... (not sure what the talent is like this year)... we should be able to grab him.

ps. that your wee one in the avatar? If so congrats Frick!

H Bomb
10-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Sounds great. I wish I knew anything about him. IT's obvious he's a top notch College player and some of them have gone on to be top MLS players. But lots of MLS top strikers don't come from that background. He looks strong and I think that's the kind of guy we need as our midfield has talent but lacks in the strength department. Best thing we can do is beat/draw San Jose on the weekend to guarentee 2nd pick and then do some research!!!

Frick
10-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Yup, unless Seattle picks him up... (not sure what the talent is like this year)... we should be able to grab him.

ps. that your wee one in the avatar? If so congrats Frick!

Yeah that's my little guy (Scott). That photo was taken the first week he was born. He's six weeks old now.

Shaughno
10-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Congrats again, and welcome Scott! :D

TicTacTabarnack
10-20-2008, 03:48 PM

Hmmmm ... Forgot about that. 50/50 chance of picking him up then.

Barrett, Dichio, Ibby, (fingers crossed) DP-Striker.... then picking up O'Brian White on a 50/50 chance. That's quite stacked.

Canary Canuck
10-20-2008, 05:54 PM
This was discussed before but he's not elgible for Canada. He represented Jamaica at youth level in several official competitions which is enough to cap tie a player unless they switch allegiance before their 21st birthday. He's past that already.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-20-2008, 05:57 PM
dont care if he desn't play for Canada, if he wants to go to the world cup playing for anyone other then canada might be a smart move, but would love to see him wear the TFC red.

arsenal
10-20-2008, 06:05 PM

Based on last season, Marcus Tracy from Wake Forest & White were regarded as the top 2 forwards after their junior years. I saw Tracy play once on tv this year and he looked like a beast and he is putting up huge #'s this year (10 goals & 6 assists through 14 games for the #1 ranked team in the toughest conference).

Batman
10-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Based on last season, Marcus Tracy from Wake Forest & White were regarded as the top 2 forwards after their junior years. I saw Tracy play once on tv this year and he looked like a beast and he is putting up huge #'s this year (10 goals & 6 assists through 14 games for the #1 ranked team in the toughest conference).

That makes Tracy sound pretty formidable. It also seems like White would be a good pick in the seconds slot if Seattle takes Tracy.

Oldtimer
10-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Importantly, O'Brian counts as Canadian for MLS rules, which would make him an international -- and therefor less interesting for a US side -- but domestic for TFC. We have a better than 50/50 chance of getting him. He would be an excellent addition for the team.

arsenal
10-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Importantly, O'Brian counts as Canadian for MLS rules, which would make him an international -- and therefor less interesting for a US side -- but domestic for TFC. We have a better than 50/50 chance of getting him. He would be an excellent addition for the team.

After having spent 4 years in the US for university, and with his father living in the US, it may not be too difficult for him to get a green card in the US (if he does not already have one) that would allow him to qualify as domestic for US teams as well. Once the draft is closer we will should get that kind of info.